Cimini: Locker room is grumbling about Wilson, team is close to imploding

T0mShane

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's baffling that they haven't used Ruckert more.  And I completely agree they should use Izzy (especially over the washed Dalvin Cook) though maybe he's hurt?

I think jet coaches have a history of over reliance on vets when they fear for their job.  We’re in that situation again.  Also you have to assume that saleh figures that the young guys follow the lead of the older ones so if the vets revolt first then saleh’s job is gone. 

• Upvote 1

If you were presented with just the Headline that appears here ... and were told you would be executed if you could not guess who wrote it .... 75% of the guys here would be walking around the next day, 25% would have guessed Connor Hughes.

Edited by Dunnie

22 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The fact is that Rodgers started every game in 7 out of the last 8 seasons, last missing games in 2017.  Pause everyone, let that sink in before blaming this move on JD

Getting Rodgers was not the issue, nobody could have expected what actually happened.

Some People did expect it and those people were made fun of for being Debbie downers 

Some mentally ill poster even made a parody account @Fidelio Bitonti

I like that guy actually. Makes a lot of decent predictions

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Some People did expect it and those people were made fun of for being Debbie downers 

Some mentally ill poster even made a parody account @Fidelio Bitonti

I like that guy actually. Makes a lot of decent predictions

You expected Rodgers to get hurt on the 4th offensive play of the season even though he hasn't missed a game since 2017? 

I know you called out the injury risks along with @FidelioJet, @Beerfish and @dbatesman  (among others) but what happened here could not have been predicted.  Unless you believe in a Jets curse.

Injury risks are prevalent in the NFL.  That's why you need competent backups.  

What other 30-40 year old QBs have had achilles ruptures in the last 10 years?  

Ultimately you were far far closer to being right than others, I'll give you that.

LOL on Fidelio Bitonti.  He is a lot smarter than people give him credit for.  

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Truly, nobody

Fair :).  But as you mentioned in a past interaction, you wouldn't have wanted Rodgers before any of his 35+ year old seasons.  A couple translated to MVPs and NFC Championship games.

JD went for HR and then witnessed some really really bad luck we are often accustomed to.  If Rodgers was the plan, a capable backup should have been part of it.  It wasn't.

Regardless, maybe there was a much better & younger option out there than Rodgers.  I was personally fine with Carr and there were others who wanted to give Minshew a chance.  

In retrospect, you were right because Rodgers ruptured his achilles.

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Fair :).  But as you mentioned in a past interaction, you wouldn't have wanted Rodgers before any of his 35+ year old seasons.  A couple translated to MVPs and NFC Championship games.

JD went for HR and then witnessed some really really bad luck we are often accustomed to.  If Rodgers was the plan, a capable backup should have been part of it.  It wasn't.

Regardless, maybe there was a much better & younger option out there than Rodgers.  I was personally fine with Carr and there were others who wanted to give Minshew a chance.  

In retrospect, you were right because Rodgers ruptured his achilles.

Carr is hurt now too i think.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And that's the thing:  Quite a few of us were calling for BOTH.  Once Rodgers handed back the $35M we should have been looking to add a Brissett-quality backup, of which there were several available at the time.

It’s a fair request.  With hindsight often being 20/20, the jets were all in on rodgers, they didn’t want to bring in anyone else who could come in and do an adequate job, and i wonder if everyone was thinking, ok, we go for it the Aaron and if he gets hurt, we have a mulligan and reset for 2024.  But how often things don’t go according to plan.  

45 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If you were presented with just the Headline that appears here ... and were told you would be executed if you could not guess who wrote it .... 75% of the guys here would be walking around the next day, 25% would have guessed Connor Hughes.

25% of the board could not figure out that Cimini wrote a quote that starts "Cimini: "?  Sounds about right.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

You don't think Belichick would pick up Zach if he was waved? What an ultimate F U that would be. I am not saying he could turn him around, but you know he would try. That would be one last project for Billy Boy.

If you put him on the PS, nobody is picking him up to pay that contract. It's a sunk cost. There's nothing to be gained keeping this guy anywhere else.

Always thought Bitonti's contention that Wilson is a Woody Johnson production from beginning to end was f__in' nuts. Today anyway that doesn't seem so crazy. Kid was a total reach. Could've taken Sewell or Parsons and bumbled along with Darnold or signed some other FA. That this kid was still here is a joke. Teams cut bait on nonhackers all the time. Looks like jets failing to do so is an ownership decision, not a football one. Rodgers is 39; there was a good chance even in the best of circumstance he would miss some time.Because not bringing in a  real backup or not keeping Mike White is dereliction.

This whole "mentoring" thing has been an ownership invention. Are the Johnsons running this football team to win games? 

Other than the brash / foolhardy statement of "Zach is our unquestioned starter" ... what is wrong with Boyle at QB? He's been here all camp, knows the playbook, and could start Sunday.

We have three weeks till our bye week. With Zach starting we'll be 1-5, 2-4 at absolute best (and that assumes we somehow beat Denver by just running the ball and playing D / ST). At a bare minimum, Boyle will give us the same outcome - and there's potential for us to actually look a bit more competent, score some points. Locker room harmony improves, etc etc. And if we still stink it up then Saleh / coaches can say with honesty "this isn't just about the QB".

Rhetorical question, I know, but we have Boyle as a backup for these scenarios. Put him out there, maybe good things happen.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

This will be Salehs Waterloo, Little Bighorn 

I agree but it’s not saleh’s choice to keep wilson here.  He’s just stuck with him.  But yeah, i do think that this season is trending to be his last, and they’re going to be pretty much forced to draft another qb while telling rodgers it’s still his team as long as he can play.  But even rodgers has to realize that he’s going to be another injury away from the jets wanting to move on from him if only b/c of his unreliability.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is not true, but I'll let it go because you said I was right

On September 12th I wrote the following, to which you replied at the very bottom.  You can click in to see the full convo.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On 9/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I guess I don't know why ...  would you say the same for a 35-38 year old? Because Rodgers started every game during those years.. winning 2 MVPs and making multiple NFC Championship games.

Not all 39 year olds are the same ..  Is that age simply your cut-off threshold?  Does something magically happen once you reach 39?  I mean Carl Lawson ruptured his Achilles at 26 or 27.  Other young guys have too.

• Upvote 1

If they start Wilson  and you guys all know clueless Saleh will, Tim Boyle will not be brought in until the game is already lost-just like they always do and when they are all sitting back in coverage and Boyle is throwing interceptions that EVERY other QB in the league and in history would throw the Zach truthers will be saying See? I told you Boyle sucks- Saleh sets this team up for failure-Wilson should be released

10 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

If they start Wilson  and you guys all know clueless Saleh will, Tim Boyle will not be brought in until the game is already lost-just like they always do and when they are all sitting back in coverage and Boyle is throwing interceptions that EVERY other QB in the league and in history would throw the Zach truthers will be saying See? I told you Boyle sucks- Saleh sets this team up for failure-Wilson should be released

Also unclear if saleh will trot wilson out there to prove a point, that it’s the FO that kept him, saleh benched him last year, they didn’t keep the semi competent backup in white, and now woody and douglas don’t be surprised at the result.  The problem is that saleh is on the verge of losing whatever player support he has, they’re probably going to have to change coaches at season’s end, rodgers will be cheerleading from the sidelines and critical of everyone when he’s played 4 downs and may not play another.  Have to wonder if rodgers already realizes that he too may lose some of the control he thought he had, with the jets now keeping that 1st rounder which could well be top 10 or top 5 and qbs once again in the conversation with potential changes within the org.  

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

On September 12th I wrote the following, to which you replied at the very bottom.  You can click in to see the full convo.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On 9/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I guess I don't know why ...  would you say the same for a 35-38 year old? Because Rodgers started every game during those years.. winning 2 MVPs and making multiple NFC Championship games.

Not all 39 year olds are the same ..  Is that age simply your cut-off threshold?  Does something magically happen once you reach 39?  I mean Carl Lawson ruptured his Achilles at 26 or 27.  Other young guys have too.

I wasn’t saying I wouldn’t take Rodgers on the team at age 37. I was saying I would have had similar reservations about trading a first round pick plus other stuff for a 37-year-old QB as I did about doing so for a 39-year-old QB.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you put him on the PS, nobody is picking him up to pay that contract. It's a sunk cost. There's nothing to be gained keeping this guy anywhere else.

Always thought Bitonti's contention that Wilson is a Woody Johnson production from beginning to end was f__in' nuts. Today anyway that doesn't seem so crazy. Kid was a total reach. Could've taken Sewell or Parsons and bumbled along with Darnold or signed some other FA. That this kid was still here is a joke. Teams cut bait on nonhackers all the time. Looks like jets failing to do so is an ownership decision, not a football one. Rodgers is 39; there was a good chance even in the best of circumstance he would miss some time.Because not bringing in a  real backup or not keeping Mike White is dereliction.

This whole "mentoring" thing has been an ownership invention. Are the Johnsons running this football team to win games? 

The 49ers knew Lance was DOA from the jump. They ran a real competition for the BACKUP job this summer and he lost. They moved him. They invested way more than the Jets did with Wilson too. Wilson is on the team because of Woody. I don’t see how anyone  with a straight face can deny this. 

also, the Simien signing is clearly a joke

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The 49ers knew Lance was DOA from the jump. They ran a real competition for the BACKUP job this summer and he lost. They moved him. They invested way more than the Jets did with Wilson too. Wilson is on the team because of Woody. I don’t see how anyone  with a straight face can deny this. 

49ers got lucky with purdy, it allowed them to move on w/o consequence.  Teams like the 49ers keep drafting qbs b/c they know the more you draft, the better the odds you find someone who can play.  The jets need to take a qb each draft.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

yeah,..it doesn't make sense.  wentz looks like the best and most logical choice the jets have. the guy makes things exciting as well.  the fan base would rally for the guy as well as you know he can move the chains.

somebody posted the jets don't want to bring in a qb better than wilson...which is lol, but the way the whole "head scratching" mike white situation went down it can't be ruled out.

• Upvote 2