Boyle over Siemian - Do you approve?

slimjasi

Do you agree with the decision to start Boyle over Siemian?   

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the decision to start Boyle over Siemian?

What are your thoughts on Boyle starting over Trevor Siemian? I had gotten the distinct impression from Saleh's comments over the past couple of months that this coaching staff likes Boyle more than Siemian. Well, now that has been confirmed as Boyle is starting this week.

However, it's hard not to look at Boyle's past performances and be extremely concerned. Boyle's career numbers are hilariously bad (both college and pro) and he didn't even score in garbage time on Sunday like almost every backup QB does in that situation. 

The flip side is that he did have a good preseason (outplayed Zach pretty comfortably). And, of course, we know Boyle is an AROD groupie - which is probably the key factor. Head coach Aaron Rodgers probably thinks Boyle gives us the best chance to win. 

But my question to you is - Are you happy with Boyle playing over Siemian? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Approve.  Royal Boyle has been the number 2 all year.  You dont just have the 3rd stringer jump the 2nd stringer for no reason.

Royal Boyle has earned this shot.  He leash will not be long but hes the guy on friday.

Season is over anyway so it really doesnt matter.

Right, but I'm really asking if you agree with the bolded. 

I actually like the fact that they're giving this kid a shot, knowing that he probably will be terrible. They know the season is over and I assume they give him a chance, unless he completely is embarrassing Friday. If that happens then I think they ride Siemian the rest of the season in order to pick up wins, which would be a real good defense for Saleh.

• Upvote 1

Why does it matter? Season is over. Might as well give Boyle reps to see what he's got. Maybe he can develop into a serviceable backup.

That's been the worst part of all this. We've had 3 QBs for weeks whose ceilings are:

Boyle: decent #2

Siemian: decent #2

Wilson: decent sideline reporter for Nickelodeon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

For winning purposes, it’s a stupid move. Boyle should not be in the NFL. Maybe shouldn’t even be in the CFL. 

At this point I’d rather secure a top ten pick so why not. 

haha, indeed. 

Well, I think the Jets are trying to win games . . . 

• Upvote 1

To "the season is over "crowd: You're wrong. 

Sure, we aren't going anywhere. But the season isn't over. We have 7 games left, including two more games on national TV (oh joy!). If Saleh loses his last 10 games and goes from 4-3 to 4-13, do you honestly think he's guaranteed to return? I don't. Owner Aaron Rodgers might be pissed enough to do something drastic like promote his buddy OC. NYJ Rule of Thumb: Things can ALWAYS get worse. Always. 

We also have a very young roster (particularly on offense) and I think these games matter for those guys. 

These games matter and not being embarrassed on a weekly basis is important. 

• Upvote 4

Sure, we aren't going anywhere. But the season isn't over. We have 7 games left, including two more games on national TV (oh joy!). If Saleh loses his last 10 games and goes from 4-3 to 4-13, do you honestly think he's guaranteed to return? I don't. Owner Aaron Rodgers might be pissed enough to do something drastic like promote his buddy OC. NYJ Rule of Thumb: Things can ALWAYS get worse. Always. 

We also have a very young roster (particularly on offense) and I think these games matter for those guys. 

Maybe they are low key tanking with Boyle in order to somehow snag Marvin Harrison.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, JiF said:

Yes.  I agree w/ Boyle over Siemian because he's been here since camp.  He's had way more time to get to know the locker room,  develop rapport, digest the playbook, etc.  Fwiw, I feel it's deserved and I'd to see what he has, while I know everyone is convinced he sucks after that huge sample size on Sunday, I saw a QB that was quick w/ and knew where to go w/ the ball, so I'm kind of interested in seeing what he's got for a half.  If it's bad, I assume that's why Siemian was elevated the #2 spot. 

So yes, start Boyle, give him a chance and have Siemian ready to go if it's bad.

fwiw I was convinced he sucks before Sunday.

• Haha 3

Just now, JiF said:

Yes.  I agree w/ Boyle over Siemian because he's been here since camp.  He's had way more time to get to know the locker room,  develop rapport, digest the playbook, etc.  Fwiw, I feel it's deserved and I'd to see what he has, while I know everyone is convinced he sucks after that huge sample size on Sunday, I saw a QB that was quick w/ and knew where to go w/ the ball, so I'm kind of interested in seeing what he's got for a half.  If it's bad, I assume that's why Siemian was elevated the #2 spot. 

So yes, start Boyle, give him a chance and have Siemian ready to go if it's bad.

Best argument for Boyle I have seen yet. Thank you

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What are your thoughts on Boyle starting over Trevor Siemian? I had gotten the distinct impression from Saleh's comments over the past couple of months that this coaching staff likes Boyle more than Siemian. Well, now that has been confirmed as Boyle is starting this week.

However, it's hard not to look at Boyle's past performances and be extremely concerned. Boyle's career numbers are hilariously bad (both college and pro) and he didn't even score in garbage time on Sunday like almost every backup QB does in that situation. 

The flip side is that he did have a good preseason (outplayed Zach pretty comfortably). And, of course, we know Boyle is an AROD groupie - which is probably the key factor. Head coach Aaron Rodgers probably thinks Boyle gives us the best chance to win. 

But my question to you is - Are you happy with Boyle playing over Siemian? 

My left nut over Zach Wilson starting another game so yeah this is fine too.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The season is over as far as realistically making the playoffs which this team hasn't done in 12 years. Neither Boyle or Simian is going to get this team to anywhere near 9 or 10 wins. 6-11 here we come, so yes the season is over. 

Team Boyle simply because he's he's earned a shot by being the #2 all season. If he falls on his face, Siemian can take over. JD already punted the season by not having a legit insurance policy for Rodgers, so choosing between these two stiffs is completely arbitrary.  The fact that these two are the current options is a terrible indictment of JD's handling of this team. Shameful.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The season is over as far as realistically making the playoffs which this team hasn't done in 12 years. Neither Boyle or Simian is going to get this team to anywhere near 9 or 10 wins. 6-11 here we come, so yes the season is over. 

Yes, I acknowledged that we aren't going anywhere. 

No but still, if it means no Zach I'm happy.  Either way I doubt Boyle will have a long leash.  I almost feel like he's getting the nod out of some sense of loyalty.  If he struggles though, I don't think they'll hesitate to pull the plug on him.  

OT, and I'm sure this would be stupid, but I almost still want to see Rodgers play this year even if we're out of it.  I need to know just how much of our sh*t offense is due to the OL and how much is due to the QB.  If Rodgers comes in and we still can't do anything, then OK....I'm more open to spending our 1st on an OT.  If he comes in though and we start easily putting up 20-30 points....yeah....go get him a WR.

They'll never risk his injury though in meaningless games.  Still, would be nice to know before heading into the offseason.  Hopefully Boyle or Siemian surprise me though.  

• Sympathy 1