Report: Jets Agree to Trade Zach Wilson This Offseason

JetNation

Zach:  Thank you for agreeing to trade me, Mr. Johnson.  If I can have a few more games like the Texans you should be able to find a team to take my salary and give you a mid-round draft pick.

Woody:  Surprise!  You are too valuable to be traded and have you make me look bad on another team.  I am keeping you!  Sorry!

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Zach:  Thank you for agreeing to trade me, Mr. Johnson.  If I can have a few more games like the Texans you should be able to find a team to take my salary and give you a mid-round draft pick.

Woody:  Surprise!  You are too valuable to be traded and have you make me look bad on another team.  I am keeping you!  Sorry!

If Zach continues to play the way he did today, then the Jets will not be able to trade Zach, even if they wanted to.

His value might end up being a 1st round draft pick, if he finishes the season this way.

I just don't see any team giving up a 1st round draft pick for him. However, if he sucks for the rest of the season, then someone will offer a 3rd or 4th round pick for Zach, and the Jets will jump all over it.

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2023 at 4:56 PM, JetNation said:

The question the Jets will face this offseason is what any potential suitors would be willing to offer.

No, the question the Jets will have to answer is what the Jets are willing to take to part with Zach.  The Jets will not trade Zach if he balls out for the rest of the year, and no team offers them fair compensation.

JD is not an idiot, and he will only trade Zach if he feels he is getting fair value.  Zach might be playing himself back to being a 1st round draft pick.   

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Alka said:

If Zach continues to play the way he did today, then the Jets will not be able to trade Zach, even if they wanted to.

His value might end up being a 1st round draft pick, if he finishes the season this way.

I just don't see any team giving up a 1st round draft pick for him. However, if he sucks for the rest of the season, then someone will offer a 3rd or 4th round pick for Zach, and the Jets will jump all over it.

This is a very strange take.  Nobody will trade for him if he has value, but if he continues to suck - 3 full years of sucking - then they will offer up a day 2 or early day 3 pick?  If he sucks teams will make offers the Jets will jump at?  We really want him to have less value!

• Haha 2

If he plays like he did a couple more times in the last 4 games and the in 2 or 3 games, then I think both sides make a push to bring him back.

Z. Wilson isn’t starting for any team next year and would (I assume) prefer backing up his idle if he’s going to be a back up.

The Jets PR machine will have plenty of feel good vibes to throw out through the media on how they finished the season strong, Zach learned the playbook, they opened up the playbook more, etc.

Now if he reverts to what he’s been up until this point (sans a few outliers) then he’s a goner. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Alka said:

If nobody is willing to give up a fisrt rounder than his value is not a first rounder. He is worth what someone is willing to pay

• Upvote 2

They asked Saleh about this report today and he didn’t flat out deny which sort of gave credence to the report. 

If true, I wonder if them letting him know early that they will look to find him a new spot is part of what went into his reluctance to play as injury would destroy his chance in the next chapter. 

that doesn’t make it justified at all and I think he did ultimately want to play but had certain reservations about it. 

either way I just find it interesting when different seemingly unrelated reports are actually related 

• Upvote 1

If he plays 3 fine games out of his last 4 i can imagine sticking with him.

If he continues to suck like 97% of the games before you have to cut him or get a decent backup and give Zach a practice squad place in his last year  (I dont think we will get much for him if he is sucking again)

Im hoping that he balls out, so I dont have to put my Wilson Jersey in the closet forever like I had to with the le'veon Bell one

He will light it up the next 5 games to prove a point to Jets fans while simultaneously ruining our draft position so we can't draft his successor.

Then we will trade him to his new team, where he will ride the bench for a year before falling into his old habit of running backward and showing his true worth.

Thus proving that he was always a true Jet to begin with.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

This is a very strange take.  Nobody will trade for him if he has value, but if he continues to suck - 3 full years of sucking - then they will offer up a day 2 or early day 3 pick?  If he sucks teams will make offers the Jets will jump at?  We really want him to have less value!
I can see your faith level is high

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, 20andOut said:

If nobody is willing to give up a fisrt rounder than his value is not a first rounder. He is worth what someone is willing to pay

This is true, but the other side of the equation is, "Will Zach play so well the next 4 games that he is more valuable to the Jets than to a team trading for him?"

I mean, the Jets are on the hook for at least $5M for Zach next year, whether they trade him or not.  If Zach plays great, "Would the Jets trade Zach for a 4th round pick, knowing they still have to pay him $5M?"  Or would the Jets keep him next year, and even the year afterwards?

JD might want to be blown away if Zach plays great.  If Zach plays great, "Do you see JD trading Zach for anything less than a 2nd round pick?"  But, if Zach plays like garbage, or anything close to garbage, it will make it easier for JD to stomach getting a 4th round pick for him.

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair points.  I stated my case poorly.  I guess what I'm really trying to say is:  If Zach plays great to the end of the season, then teams will be asking themselves which is the real Zach Wilson?

Is Zach the guy who played like sh*t for the first 2.5 years, or is he now the guy who is playing great the last 5 games of the season?

If he plays like garbage going forward, then I feel it will be easy to unload him, since the expectations will be low.  If he plays great, then it will be harder for JD and other teams to determine what the real value is for Zach.  That's when there will be more differences of opinions.  Other teams if they want Zach, will argue that Zach is more like the first 2.5 years, and fight to give up little, and JD will say that Zach has developed into the player that he is now portraying, and will hold back for more.

Before the Houston game, I think it is safe to say that there was universal agreement that Zach was not worth much.  Easy to unload, for a low draft pick.  Now, I'm not so sure, depending on how he finishes the year.

On 12/10/2023 at 7:15 PM, Alka said:

1000% wrong

1) Aaron's team next year. 

2) We're not exercising his 5th year option, and we're not doing 2023 over again

He is mos def out the door in Feb... only difference is whether we get a pick in return or cut him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1000% wrong

1) Aaron's team next year. 

2) We're not exercising his 5th year option, and we're not doing 2023 over again

He is mos def out the door in Feb... only difference is whether we get a pick in return or cut him. 

Are you not even interested to see how he plays the rest of the year?  How about if he goes 4-0, and he looks great?

You will still feel the same way as you do now?  That's the question.  Right now, without knowing how he does the next 4 games, I would have to agree with you.  But it's not about now.  We need to see some more.

Might as well finish off the malpractice in the handling of this player.  Draft him 2nd overall from a second tier program during a Covid year where he could barely be scouted to maximize the risk.  When his QB coach is killed in what can only be considered as a Damien from the Omen manner replace him with a totally inexperienced scrub who in turn is reporting to a first year OC.  Hand him the kids to an NFL team without the slightest whiff of competition or the need to demonstrate he is capable of playing at this level while leading a group of grown men.  Refuse to bring in competition the following year, only finally replacing him when the team rebels and anoints Mike White as their savior.  Announce he needs a reboot while also keeping him second string behind an aging vet playing behind an awful offensive line.  Bench him twice more while later announcing you always felt he gave you the best chance to win.  And then for some unknown reason tell him your plans to trade him before again announcing he is once again the starter.        

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

Might as well finish off the malpractice in the handling of this player.  Draft him 2nd overall from a second tier program during a Covid year where he could barely be scouted to maximize the risk.  When his QB coach is killed in what can only be considered as a Damien from the Omen manner replace him with a totally inexperienced scrub who in turn is reporting to a first year OC.  Hand him the kids to an NFL team without the slightest whiff of competition or the need to demonstrate he is capable of playing at this level while leading a group of grown men.  Refuse to bring in competition the following year, only finally replacing him when the team rebels and anoints Mike White as their savior.  Announce he needs a reboot while also keeping him second string behind an aging vet playing behind an awful offensive line.  Bench him twice more while later announcing you always felt he gave you the best chance to win.  And then for some unknown reason tell him your plans to trade him before again announcing he is once again the starter.        

I think the way you’re framing it isn’t exactly how it went. As far as the trade thing goes, team Wislon has likely provided the Jets a list of teams he’d like to be traded to. 

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

Are you not even interested to see how he plays the rest of the year?  How about if he goes 4-0, and he looks great?

I.E. just like Sam Darnold going 6-2 and looking very good over the final 8 weeks of the 2019 season?

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

We need to see some more.

How much more? 

It always comes back to this question:  How many years, how many games do you need to see before you'd be "ready" to move on?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

I would argue that the more proper analogy would be Omen II, not the original Omen. In that the director and cast got replaced but have continued to try and tell the same story, which continuously gets worse at every attempt because of story and budget reasons, but the original older version struck a chord so we all keep sticking around assuming that somebody is going to revive this godforsaken franchise.

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I would argue that the more proper analogy would be Omen II, not the original Omen. In that the director and cast got replaced but have continued to try and tell the same story, which continuously gets worse at every attempt because of story and budget reasons, but the original older version struck a chord so we all keep sticking around assuming that somebody is going to revive this godforsaken franchise.

I heard another chapter is forthcoming, in which a group of satanist electricians resurrect Damien via a manner not totally dissimilar from the Dr. Frankenstein method. They're calling it The Ohm Men

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hex said:

Will Levis went in the 2nd round. Taking him at 15 would be a reach.

Well they could have traded back, accumulated more picks, and still drafted Levis, which would have been even better.

People are too obsessed with "value" in the draft.

It's all about picking the right players.

The Jets have a top-10 pick virtually every year, and haven't done jack outside of literally one Joe Douglas draft.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Alka said:

Dude.... cmon

This the same guy who went for a 3 game stretch without scoring a TD - who RESET nfl records in offensive ineptitude. Even he plays well enough to win a few more games, there's too much bad tape do this all over again with him next year. That's just reckless management. We're not extending/resigning him. That's a fantasy, he either plays so bad that we're not interested, or he plays so well that he's going to want big money elsewhere

ZW is done in NY. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Dude.... cmon

This the same guy who went for a 3 game stretch without scoring a TD - who RESET nfl records in offensive ineptitude. Even he plays well enough to win a few more games, there's too much bad tape do this all over again with him next year. That's just reckless management. We're not extending/resigning him. That's a fantasy, he either plays so bad that we're not interested, or he plays so well that he's going to want big money elsewhere

ZW is done in NY. 

He was done after Jacksonville last year. Glazer said he was done as a Jet. Then the Jets brought him back. Anything is possible with this arrangement. Zach’s not accepting a trade to Buffalo or somewhere like that. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Dude.... cmon

ZW is done in NY. 

That's aside from the reality that if they squeak out another win (or definitely two) then Rodgers is going to start & steal his spotlight anyway. He's not going 4-0 unless he looks near-perfect, which just isn't happening. 

It's more likely there's more of what he was doing before this past Sunday, or even if it's better than that then something in between prior play and the Texans-game 2nd half play, and said combo wouldn't be "great" anyway. 

Put aside the absolute best case scenario. The likely best case scenario is he plays just well enough that at least one team is now interested in trading for him & eating the last guaranteed season of his contract. The team's plan - if it works out - is for Rodgers to start the next two seasons anyway, which takes them beyond Wilson's rookie contract. Better off using that 1-2 Rodgers years to develop a new rookie who doesn't need to start for a while.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's aside from the reality that if they squeak out another win (or definitely two) then Rodgers is going to start & steal his spotlight anyway. He's not going 4-0 unless he looks near-perfect, which just isn't happening. 

It's more likely there's more of what he was doing before this past Sunday, or even if it's better than that then something in between prior play and the Texans-game 2nd half play, and said combo wouldn't be "great" anyway. 

Put aside the absolute best case scenario. The likely best case scenario is he plays just well enough that at least one team is now interested in trading for him & eating the last guaranteed season of his contract. The team's plan - if it works out - is for Rodgers to start the next two seasons anyway, which takes them beyond Wilson's rookie contract. Better off using that 1-2 Rodgers years to develop a new rookie who doesn't need to start for a while.

I would say mothball him until the offseason, so that the most recent memory (for trade value purposes) is of him "dealing" vs the Texans' D.

They're probably not beating Miami, and even if they somehow finish 9-8, their probability of making the playoffs is something like 14%.

• Upvote 1