Jets wait until week 14, then tell Zach to “Let it rip”! What took so long?

jetstream23

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Maybe they told hm to do so before ... and he didn't? 

I think maybe he was too intent on getting the ball to certain players.  I noted Lazard wasn’t targeted.  The main receivers were Wilson, hall, Ruckert and Conklin.  All of those guys caught the balls in coverage and held on. And the oline played much better.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I honestly think this has more to do with the pressure being off. It’s always been a mental struggle with him. He’s no longer, at least in his mind, fighting to save his roster place. The team is out of playoffs. It’s probably the first time in his career where he played a game where there was no pressure. Some of the throws he completed today, I’ve never seen him even attempt. We saw a Zach Wilson today that no longer had the weight of the franchise on his shoulders. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

You really think the pressure was off Zach? It's his career that he's playing for - in NY or elsewhere. The pressure is there every game for players. Every play is recorded and it translates into money for them. People say a similar thing in tennis - a young player is in a Slam final and has no pressure. The pressure is intense because he never knows if he'll be in that situation again and they're trying to fulfill a lifelong dream.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

This game is definitionally a fluke. He does it again and it becomes a coincidence. He does it again, then it becomes a pattern. I do hope he turns it around and keeps playing like this, even if he doesn't stay on this team. The NFL needs more good QBs.

I agree.  He needs to back up this performance.  And so does the rest of the offense.  The oline played well as did gWilson, hall, Conklin, Ruckert, Gipson.  Good team effort.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

It's called "performing with no pressure"...

Isn't it funny how much better a guy can look when everything that counts for the team (like any real-world chance at the postseason) is long gone, but something very personal (a reported promise to be traded this offseason, a way to try and continue his career) remains on the line?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In my mind, the decision is pretty simple with Zach. You do not pick up the fifth year option. You try to trade him in the spring. But if the offers aren’t there and you’re talking about something like a late third day pick, just keep him for the fourth season as the QB2. He has absolutely shown he could be a backup quarterback.  Draft a decent middle round prospect to develop next year as QB3.  

Zach can't stay.  The media and fan base just don't want him here - and, for better or worse, it's clear it gets to him and affects his play.   He needs to go somewhere else and start over.

He shouldn't have been brought back this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Isn't it funny how much better a guy can look when everything that counts for the team (like any real-world chance at the postseason) is long gone, but something very personal (a reported promise to be traded this offseason, a way to try and continue his career) remains on the line?

So the theory here is it's just a matter of motivation with Zach?   You would like to the think the team could have figured out a way to properly motivate him in three years...That it took a promise to trade him to get him to play well.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This might have some merit if we didn’t see the exact same thing against KC. The only other game the coaching staff didn’t coach offense not to lose. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

So the theory here is it's just a matter of motivation with Zach?   You would like to the think the team could have figured out a way to properly motivate him in three years...

I'm happy to leave all the Zach-was-good-all-along speculation and definitely-not-Zach's-fault-blame assignment to you folks today.

Guy played a great game today.  Good for him, clearly. 

While as a fan I very much enjoyed the win, it was a very Jetsy case of short-term enjoyment over long-term betterment, as nothing good actually happened for the future of the NY Jets today.  Like yourself and the other "I was right about Zach" contingent, surely for some in our front office now there may be more uncertainty about bringing Wilson back, yet again, and we took a hard nosedive in our draft spot to a point where we will almost assuredly miss out on the top prospects at OL or WR.  All in garbage time with nothing on the line for this season.  Great for Zach.  Counterproductive is the most Jetsy way for us Jets fan and the organization.

Same ol' Jets lol.  Always the same ol' Jets.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This might have some merit if we didn’t see the exact same thing against KC. The only other game the coaching staff didn’t coach offense not to lose. 

If you say so Frank, keep in mind I'm just one of that 99% of the nitwits on this board you like to talk about.  Why are you wasting your time of a dumbass like me, eh?  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach can't stay.  The media and fan base just don't want him here - and, for better or worse, it's clear it gets to him and affects his play.   He needs to go somewhere else and start over.

He shouldn't have been brought back this year.

What the media wants should not matter. Who cares if they “want” him here? Same with the fans. Whether fans boo or cheer, they are not on the field and they are not players or coaches.

The fact is that Zach Wilson is an employee. The Jets will need a back up quarterback next year. It seems to me that Wilson is finally getting comfortable in this system and he would have a year of experience heading into next year. That’s what you want in a backup. He looks like a bottom 5 NFL starter. He looks like a top 10 backup QB.

The real question is the cost. They’d be overpaying for a backup. That’s why the first option should be to trade him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Interesting comment during the broadcast that Rodgers said that the expectation for Zach was 90% grade on decisions and footwork.  There are a lot of factors but he took the layups faster and really only 2 bad decisions all day, didn’t slide on the run and threw into double coverage.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm happy to leave all the Zach-was-good-all-along speculation and definitely-not-Zach's-fault-blame assignment to you folks today.

Guy played a great game today.  Good for him, clearly. 

While as a fan I very much enjoyed the win, it was a very Jetsy case of short-term enjoyment over long-term betterment, as nothing good actually happened for the future of the NY Jets today.  Like yourself and the other "I was right about Zach" contingent, surely for some in our front office now there may be more uncertainty about bringing Wilson back, yet again, and we took a hard nosedive in our draft spot to a point where we will almost assuredly miss out on the top prospects at OL or WR.  All in garbage time with nothing on the line for this season.  Great for Zach.  Counterproductive is the most Jetsy way for us Jets fan and the organization.

Same ol' Jets lol.  Always the same ol' Jets.

I don't think he was good all along.  I didn't want Zach back on this team this year and want him gone next year.

I just found it interesting that you seemed to think the problem with Zach all along was just motivation.  At least that's what I took from that post.  

If he wants to play again try being consistent from play to play, week in and week out.  Otherwise, he is just another strong arm kid that can give you some games like this but most of the time very bad games....  Trade him if you can, gwt a quality BUP QB and smoe OL in the draft _+ WR and wewill be acompetitive team even with thei CS and FO. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I don't think he was good all along.  I didn't want Zach back on this team this year and want him gone next year.

I just found it interesting that you seemed to think the problem with Zach all along was just motivation.  At least that's what I took from that post.  

Didn’t you have a giant hissy fit defending Zach and now you are doing the hater thing? You have zero credibility bro

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1