Offsides "controversy" in Chiefs-Buffs game

rbstern

eh I get it.  How do we know if they let this go on all game or if he is doing this all the time or every game and they have never called this and they happen to call at that moment in the game.  Yes, he is offsides, but I understand if there is a standard (warning given) before the penalties are called.

Either way the refs suck :)

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

And either way, I've always viewed offsides as a ticky-tack call. It should be very clear IMO that being offsides actually affects said play for it to be called, especially since it lets the play happen. I highly doubt that Toney's half a yard of offsides was what led to a TD, but a rule's a rule. It's on the refs if they didn't warn though.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, rbstern said:

I see all these headlines about how upset Andy Reid and co. are about the offsides call that undid a fancy touchdown play.

And I don't get it.

The Chiefs' Toney clearly lined up in the neutral zone.  Not a little.  Most of his foot was forward of the ball.  His helmet was in the same plane as the ball.  The only other player who had a body part that far forward was the center, who's hand on the ball was in the same plane as Toney's helmet, but behind Toney's foot.  

The Chiefs' tackles are lined up so far back, the call could have just as easily been an illegal formation for too many men in the backfield.

Either the media is inventing the controversy, or the Chiefs are the whiniest sore losers in the league.

image.png.30006b29dc9c81f48797d85d76b91352.png

Having seen the jets get called a number of times for the same thing I don’t have much sympathy for the chiefs.  I would’ve rather seen then win but rules are rules. How friggin hard is it for a player to know if they are offsides?  But I also think the refs are too chickens&&t and miss overt holds while calling these chickes&&t fouls.  And, apparently, the refs usually give warnings to players in these instances.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

he was easily offsides. 

The Chiefs, who have gotten 8 thousand questionable calls go their way over the last several years, need to shut the f*ck up. Mahomes came off like such a sore loser yesterday. I actually despise that team now. 

I’m a conspiracy theorist when it comes to stuff like this and i think the nfl got the message that taylor swift was running the league and influencing games like the jet game so this the offset.  

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 3

This happened last year too. The WR checks with the side judge a lot during the game to make sure that they are ok.  The side judge commonly gives a thumbs up. 

it’s not required for the SJ to do that.  Apparently someone complained last night that they get warnings from the SJ , which I think is bonkers. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, ultimately, if they look for alignment advice, certainly we are going to give it to them. But ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up,” Cheffers said. “And, certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far offsides where they’re actually blocking our view of the ball.

“So, we would give them some sort of warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond warning,” Cheffers continued. 

In the replay, it’s clear Toney is egregiously offsides. After the touchdown was negated, the Bills hung on for a 20–17 victory. Kansas City fell to 8–5, while Buffalo improved to 7–6 to keep its playoff homes alive. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

One theory I've seen advanced is that receivers will often check with the line judge to confirm they're onside, which Toney did, and then got flagged anyway. Don't know if this is true, but it would help explain the outrage, since he was very clearly lined up in the neutral zone.

they do but Toney didn't on this play. at least, no video i've seen shows that. if the ref told him he was good they're right to complain but that's not what they're complaining about and we haven't seen it so I highly doubt it happened.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

One theory I've seen advanced is that receivers will often check with the line judge to confirm they're onside, which Toney did, and then got flagged anyway. Don't know if this is true, but it would help explain the outrage, since he was very clearly lined up in the neutral zone.

Toney is also braindead and doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. Where did you see he checked with the line judge? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

whaaa whaaaa whaaa, you Kermit sounding bitch. 

Holding calls happen in the heat of the action, with 22 people moving, and the referees trying to monitor the chaotic interaction of many players at once.  It's infuriating when they miss an obvious holding call, but there's a legit chance they were looking elsewhere when it happened, or their view was obscured.

Offsides is a bunch of people standing still, with a simple test applied by two officials straddling the line, looking straight down that line, for an infraction.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

with the wr's?

Just now, PS17 said:

Toney is also braindead and doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. Where did you see he checked with the line judge? 

Just now, PS17 said:

False. Terry McAulay said offensive offsides has been called 11 times this year. Toney was blatantly over the line.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, rbstern said:

Holding calls happen in the heat of the action, with 22 people moving, and the referees trying to monitor the chaotic interaction of many players at once.  It's infuriating when they miss an obvious holding call, but there's a legit chance they were looking elsewhere when it happened, or their view was obscured.

Offsides is a bunch of people standing still, with a simple test applied by two officials straddling the line, looking straight down that line, for an infraction.

No sh*t. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rbstern said:

I see all these headlines about how upset Andy Reid and co. are about the offsides call that undid a fancy touchdown play.

And I don't get it.

The Chiefs' Toney clearly lined up in the neutral zone.  Not a little.  Most of his foot was forward of the ball.  His helmet was in the same plane as the ball.  The only other player who had a body part that far forward was the center, who's hand on the ball was in the same plane as Toney's helmet, but behind Toney's foot.  

The Chiefs' tackles are lined up so far back, the call could have just as easily been an illegal formation for too many men in the backfield.

Either the media is inventing the controversy, or the Chiefs are the whiniest sore losers in the league.

image.png.30006b29dc9c81f48797d85d76b91352.png

no controversy , He lined up offside you cant even see the ball its textbook offside.  They are just accustomed to having the refs in their pocket 

• Upvote 4

The refs let this go a lot last year but they've called it several times this season. It's ridiculous to complain this late into the season about something the refs have called throughout the year. 

When you're a team that gets the benefit of so many calls their way and uncalled fouls, you need to know to shut up when a few don't go your way. This is the easiest way to get the refs to treat you like every other team. It goes to show how entitled they believe they are to their own set of rules and to get away with flaunting the rules. Notice there's no argument that Toney wasn't offsides, just that it was unfair to call them on it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PS17 said:

Maybe its done differently now, but when I played you checked with the line judge on every play to make sure you were good.

You need seven on the line to be a legal formation. If you look at that snapshot, the lineman are too far off the line. Technically they have nine on the line

It's too bad that the dude lined up like that because the play itself was pretty cool to watch unfold.  Seems like the foul had no effect on the outcome of the play, but as others have said, a rule's a rule.  I guess if it's something that goes on without getting called most of the time, then I can see a guy like Mahommes losing his mind over it.  The refs should enforce the rules more consistently if that's the case.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

he was easily offsides. 

The Chiefs, who have gotten 8 thousand questionable calls go their way over the last several years, need to shut the f*ck up. Mahomes came off like such a sore loser yesterday. I actually despise that team now. 

I could never stand him. He is a punk, just like his brother. Brady was a baby like that too. When they get so big they expect special treatment for calls. They get them. Yet on the rare occasions they do not, they act like complete toddlers. 

• Upvote 1