Offsides "controversy" in Chiefs-Buffs game

rbstern

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they do but Toney didn't on this play. at least, no video i've seen shows that. if the ref told him he was good they're right to complain but that's not what they're complaining about and we haven't seen it so I highly doubt it happened.

I haven't seen it either. Seems like they're just pissy in general. It is kind of funny that they're so bent out of shape about this, since it's one of the only game-changing calls the officials have actually gotten right this season.

• Upvote 4

Shouldn’t the play have been blown dead? That could have been another issue? they let the play go, allowing the chiefs offense to show them a play nobody on earth would have saw coming. Had they blown it dead, they could have ran the play after the penalty was called. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “free play” run on an offensive offsides before.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I never realized how much of a douche Mahomes is, btw. Did you see his interaction with Josh Allen after the game? Can't even congratulate the guy - just bitching about the refs.

I didn't even see it until just now. Agree, that's a serious douchebitch move. Like what does he expect Allen to do, agree with him that the win was ill-gotten?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I never realized how much of a douche Mahomes is, btw. Did you see his interaction with Josh Allen after the game? Can't even congratulate the guy - just bitching about the refs.

He has 100% become a spoiled, entitled, whiny bitch.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I hadn't even watched the game or the play until about 5 minutes ago... I thought it HAD to be a 4th down with 0:01 left on the clock. 

That sh*t was 2nd down with over a minute and a half left in the game and they're crying like THIS?

OH, F*CK THEM. 😆 

Bitches. Not one word about the Officiating when it handed them a SB Trophy and at LEAST 1 Game this year. Cry me a damn river.

As for those saying, "Gee, when I played....". Bro. Nobody gives a **** about your Pop Warner exploits. 😆 

Keyshawn Johnson and Michael Irvin just CRUSHED the Chiefs and Toney for being dumb  on Skip Bayliss' show (clip is all over YT).

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, rbstern said:

I see all these headlines about how upset Andy Reid and co. are about the offsides call that undid a fancy touchdown play.

And I don't get it.

The Chiefs' Toney clearly lined up in the neutral zone.  Not a little.  Most of his foot was forward of the ball.  His helmet was in the same plane as the ball.  The only other player who had a body part that far forward was the center, who's hand on the ball was in the same plane as Toney's helmet, but behind Toney's foot.  

The Chiefs' tackles are lined up so far back, the call could have just as easily been an illegal formation for too many men in the backfield.

Either the media is inventing the controversy, or the Chiefs are the whiniest sore losers in the league.

image.png.30006b29dc9c81f48797d85d76b91352.png

It is the Swifties being the whiny little b!tches.

They didn't have a problem with JJ being held or Sauce getting a holding call late in the game. Now the tables have turned, last week against the Green Bay and here and they don't like it.

Well you know what ?

Tough Sh!t.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

what kinda of undisciplined clown show is going on here. fire the HC now!!!

oh wait this isnt the Jets and Robert Saleh? ...sorry forget what i said.. the HC is fine...lol

i just thought these things only happen to Robert Saleh coached teams.. a stupid penalty to cost the game.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I haven't seen it either. Seems like they're just pissy in general. It is kind of funny that they're so bent out of shape about this, since it's one of the only game-changing calls the officials have actually gotten right this season.

The irony here is Mahomes’ overarching point about the refs being a huge problem is correct. For him to pick last night as the time to make that rant when they actually got one right is just foolish. His spot was last week after the Packers game when the refs screwed over both teams multiple times in the span of about four minutes. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

My brother called this in Mahomes’ first or second year and I thought he was crazy. Little by little he’s become more and more unappealing. And yesterday he showed his colors about what a spoiled brat he is. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

can you explain why the refs throwing a flag for lining up offsides is BS? 

I did. Yes, by rule its a foul. Its just not a foul that is called because the line judge will either correct the wr or the wr will check once he gets to the line. Its bush league

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

50 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

One theory I've seen advanced is that receivers will often check with the line judge to confirm they're onside, which Toney did, and then got flagged anyway. Don't know if this is true, but it would help explain the outrage, since he was very clearly lined up in the neutral zone.

Fwiw, this is typically the common protocol and the ref will give you a thumbs up.  Toney looked the ball and the Center the entire play, not sure he ever checked w/ the official.  I feel like this happened to the Jets at one point, where the receiver did check w/ the official, official gave them a thumbs up and then call the flag...but I dont think it happened last night.  Looked like Toney never checked.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

No idea what Mahomes and Reid were freaking out about. Toney who is a confirmed dumb f*ck lined up in the neutral zone. They should be aiming their frustrations at him.

Plus I have no idea how a WR can EVER line up offside. You literally have the best view of where the ball is vs where you're standing....

just guessing he is simply not mentally into the game - always thought that was the main issue with Denzell, talent for sure but sometimes just going thru motions.

Seems to be a reciever thing - Claypool, Pickens and the infamous Antonio Brown just to name a few. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

just guessing he is simply not mentally into the game - always thought that was the main issue with Denzell, talent for sure but sometimes just going thru motions.

Seems to be a reciever thing - Claypool, Pickens and the infamous Antonio Brown just to name a few. 

Yeah and an overall migration away from old-school fundamentals. Holding the ball in the hand of the closet sideline, counting players waiting for punt, checking foot vs. ball placement pre-snap as a receiver, etc.

They're all too cool until it costs them a game and the would-be play of the year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hex said:

And either way, I've always viewed offsides as a ticky-tack call. It should be very clear IMO that being offsides actually affects said play for it to be called, especially since it lets the play happen. I highly doubt that Toney's half a yard of offsides was what led to a TD, but a rule's a rule. It's on the refs if they didn't warn though.

I'm not sure introducing more subjectivity into one of the few fairly straightforward rules is a great idea. The point of a rule isn't that it necessarily affects that particular play, but to keep things sane. What if they "let that go" because it "didn't affect the play" and now the Chiefs lineup their WRs offside for a quick hit and the WR gets a step? 

It's a rule. It's super easy to avoid and the WR even has the option to check with the ref to ensure he's in compliance. So creating caveats because one guy was really, really dumb is not the way to go. 

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I did. Yes, by rule its a foul. Its just not a foul that is called because the line judge will either correct the wr or the wr will check once he gets to the line. Its bush league

and the WR didn't check, so who's fault is that? They've now called it 11 times on the year in the NFL, so it does get called. There's clear visual evidence that this was the correct call - it's not even a judgement call it's black and white he was in the neutral zone.

"it's bush league" is meaningless rhetoric.

• Upvote 2