Anyone Remember This? "Jets GM Mike Maccagnan named Executive of the Year"

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan named Executive of the Year

https://www.nydailynews.com/2016/01/21/jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-named-executive-of-the-year/

How’s this for a hot start?

Mike Maccagnan earned the PFWA Executive of the Year award after his very first season as a general manager. Maccagnan was officially introduced in his new role as Jets GM exactly one year before taking home the Executive of the Year honors, which was announced Thursday.

Maccagnan was expected to be a candidate or favorite for the award after turning the Jets around from a 4-12 disaster to a 10-win team that fell just shy of the playoffs. The rebound season came after a particularly aggressive offseason a year ago in which Maccagnan made several moves that paid major dividends for Gang Green.

Most notably, the rookie GM traded a fifth-round pick for Brandon Marshall and a seventh-round pick and also dealt a conditional seventh-round pick (which became a sixth-rounder) for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Marshall went on to break Jets franchise records in his first year with the team and Fitzpatrick had the best season of his career.

Maccagnan also dished out cash to sign free agents like Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, James Carpenter and Marcus Gilchrist. Though Revis didn’t work out quite as well as the Jets hoped, the GM had so much money to spend last offseason that it’s still hard to criticize the move. Cromartie didn’t live up to his contract but can be cut at no cost this offseason. Skrine, Carpenter and Gilchrist were all solid additions.

The GM drafted Leonard Williams with the sixth overall pick, despite having depth at defensive end, in a move that was lauded by many at the time. Williams became a solid contributor and was named to the PFWA All-Rookie team.

Maccagnan’s early success comes in stark contrast to how the last GM worked out. Two years before hiring Maccagnan, Woody Johnson made John Idzik the GM in a move that resulted in disastrous consequences. Idzik and his conservative approach lasted just two years in New York and he was ultimately driven out of town after fans were fed up with the team’s poor performance.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Well, 2015 was a pretty fun season.  Remember when fitz had to play with that rubber cast on his left hand because geno was not good as a back up.  And then the team just fell apart when fitzy was being fitzy and didn’t song until training camp.  At the point the locker room was very divided with some of the players wanting geno and others wanting fitzy.  And then, once decker went down and Marshall got banged up the offense went south.

1 minute ago, Barton said:

That whole Mac thing of lets trade for older vets year 1 to win an extra few games and then rebuild long term plan never made any damn sense. 

Not to mention drafting a defensive tackle when he could’ve gotten a top offensive tackle who might still be holding down the jets oline.

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you truly believe JD is worse than Macc?  

Well, his results have been.   Mac's record as a GM is better than Joe's...

With that said, I think Joe is overall more competent - or at least was until this year.  JD completely completely tilted this off-season.  This spring/summer was worse than anything Mac has ever done.

• Upvote 1

Tanny built a good team for Mangini and Rex. It wasn’t until Rex’s third season when roster turnover became something Rex had obvious influence over that we began the spiral we’re still in now.

Rex was a toxin. He left a trail of scapegoats. He damaged trust with the owner so badly that it’s impacting how he handles his front office still. Toxic culture. Rex had the owners ear, abused it, and it didn’t lead to anything good for us fans.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barton said:

That whole Mac thing of lets trade for older vets year 1 to win an extra few games and then rebuild long term plan never made any damn sense. 

Anytime a GM tries that type of half-arsed strategy, it's a sign they're pretty much FOS and it's almost always a recipe for failure.  

The biggest problem I had with Macc believe it or not was not the Tebow thing or constantly trading away picks but rather was RG Moore.  Every draft i wanted them to upgrade as I always tho Moore was a JAG and weakest link on offense but with Rex and co they always went for failed defense picks.

38 minutes ago, Barton said:

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

The biggest problem I had with Macc believe it or not was not the Tebow thing or constantly trading away picks but rather was RG Moore.  Every draft i wanted them to upgrade as I always tho Moore was a JAG and weakest link on offense but with Rex and co they always went for failed defense picks.

He sold his sold trying to win with Vets. Passed on good QB's do draft a safety, standing pat with Fitz and McCown.  Who have never seen a playoff game.   He then trades 2 second round picks to get Darnold. Trades to seconds to fix his fukk up of drafting a safety when Watson and Mahommes were on the board. He was a terrible drafter, just terrible.  JD is giving him some competition. 

21 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

duh my bad - I was thinking of Mike Tannenbaum - not sure why I confused that suck with the more recent suck of Mac

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Mighta worked if he knew how to draft.  10 wins was nice afterall.  But yeah failed failed failed :( 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

He also lied to or misled at least one good TE and a couple of good OL players. IiMO he is a total scumbag lying pos.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Guy was a fake, a failed SCOUT in Houston who was about to be fired and in the insane Johnson era he gets Upped to GM by the Jets.  All those 1,001 coffee cups on his desk were either props (showing the world that he is constantly working) or just nasty.  Supposedly almost no one in the Jet building either saw the guy or even knew what he was doing.  Always behind a locked door in his office.

His 1st Rd picks were Always the “consensus” ESPN picks, absolutely No strategic thought on how they could help the team.  Then after the 1st Rd, when an intelligent GM earns his paycheck, Maccagnan was so incredibly lost in what to do he might have set records for draft picks who wound up Totally Out of the NFL in almost a finger snap, like he is.  No one offered Maccagnan a janitors job after he was finally fired by the Jets.

The irony is that JD’s and Macc’s results are not that dissimilar, which makes sense because a lot of the same people were involved with both of their draft picks.  

Darnold at this point was a better pick than Wilson, but maybe that changes.  

Maccagnan is out of the NFL and never coming back.  JD will find another job when he leaves the Jets, but it won’t be as GM.  

I have someone who works for me who does a lot of good things, but just makes too many major mistakes.   That is JD.  He has done a lot of good, but then drafts MCDIV instead of Anton Harrison or a WR.   He signs Dalvin Cook for $7mm instead of a better QB for half that.  He does not extend Huff.   He takes Becton over Wirfs.  He takes Wilson.    I think he gets another year but really needs to do a perfect job this offseason building the roster from what he has.