Saleh: "If he attacks the offseason in the way Jermaine attacked his offseason, Will McDonald is gonna be a superstar in this league"

slimjasi

Saleh is such a cheerleader. Positive Vibes Only man!!!  Can you imagine Parcells, John Harbaugh, Kye Shanahan, etc giving this sort of unearned praise to a player?  They would respond to the effect of "He is going to have to work as hard, if not harder, than any player in this league to even have a chance of being a contributor to our team".....................................our clown of a coach has him in the hall of fame already.  Saleh's schtick is becoming increasingly cringe-worthy.  Everyone knows he can't get it done.  It sucks knowing he will be back next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

McDonald is a nice prospect, but not the guy we needed to draft on a 100% win now team.

Exactly. DL was deepest part of the team, D was strong. Just another reason how clueless Joe Douglas is. His estimation of the offense was a LOT higher than reality, or no way does he make a DE for depth a early 1st round pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I think he’s saying that McDonald has way more talent and ability and if he works as hard as Johnson then the sky is the limit.

This is my take, as well. 

Listen, I actually liked (and defended) the McDonald pick and I also think JJ is a very good player who should be a Jet for a long time. 

my issue is that this was a dumb thing for Saleh to say. There's no good reason to say anything like this. Just say that you like Will McDonald and you think he has a chance to develop into a good player if he keeps working hard and improving. Simple. No reason to throw the word "superstar" out there. It's just not necessary and puts undue pressure on him. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Am I missing something? Our coach is 1) hyping up the potential of one of our players while at the same time 2) very clearly challenging him going into next year.

This is exactly how the coach should be using the media, I don't see how this is worthy of any complaint at all.

I don't think you throw the word "superstar" out there until he's actually a superstar. I think it puts the cart before the horse and puts unnecessary pressure on him and leads to unrealistic expectations. I just don't think you say that about a rookie who has only played sparingly. 

And again, I like McDonald and didn't mind the pick at all. 

Just now, bitonti said:

I bash Joe Douglas pretty much every day but will iv was a good pick 

Remember when he jumped over the line on the giants FG miss? Only like 5 people in the league can even attempt that and one of them is myles Garrett 

I have no problem with the pick. I liked the pick. I think McDonald has elite athletic traits and can be a really good player. 

I just hate that the coach said this publicly.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is my take, as well. 

Listen, I actually liked (and defended) the McDonald pick and I also think JJ is a very good player who should be a Jet for a long time. 

my issue is that this was a dumb thing for Saleh to say. There's no good reason to say anything like this. Just say that you like Will McDonald and you think he has a chance to develop into a good player if he keeps working hard and improving. Simple. No reason to throw the word "superstar" out there. It's just not necessary and puts undue pressure on him. 

I think you’re unaware of how a press conference works. So during press conferences, coaches stand up and answer questions asked by reporters. It happens several times in a week over the course of the season. Check it out sometime. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Dude, in Joe D’s world, you are not allowed to mention, think about the OL. Just sit back and admire the Defense please:)

Uh, he picked tipp in the second round and Warren in the fourth.  Maybe there was a better oline player where they picked Macdonald but don’t forget he’s relying on saleh to tell him where the real needs are.  In hindsight maybe a wr should’ve been pick instead of Macdonald.  They didn’t know at the time Davis was bugging out.

• Haha 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I think you’re unaware of how a press conference works. So during press conferences, coaches stand up and answer questions asked by reporters. It happens several times in a week over the course of the season. Check it out sometime. 

What are babbling about? I watched the press conference - no one made him use the word superstar.