Brock Bowers

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

He's a weapon.  Plain and simple.  I think people focus more on the position he play vs what he can do.  If we walk away with Bowers at 10 I'd be thrilled.  I don't think you can go wrong with him or Odunze in that spot.  All things considered we're still in good shape if the plan is to get another game breaker.  

Agreed.  We need another receiving threat opposite GW, even if he plays TE.  If our options are a 2nd tier OL vs a superstar TE then I'll take Bowers.  Draft a C in round 3 and move Tippmann to OG.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

He's a weapon.  Plain and simple.  I think people focus more on the position he play vs what he can do.  If we walk away with Bowers at 10 I'd be thrilled.  I don't think you can go wrong with him or Odunze in that spot.  All things considered we're still in good shape if the plan is to get another game breaker.  

If we can get laporta type production in year 1 and we do some things to address o line in free agency, sure sign me up. If we have a massive hole at o line, I don’t see how you can do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I know he's been injured but the few times I've watched him play lately he hasn't been a standout. But according to experts he's the real deal. So at 10 worth it to select him even though Jets have a good no.1 tight end. 

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

If we can get laporta type production in year 1 and we do some things to address o line in free agency, sure sign me up. If we have a massive hole at o line, I don’t see how you can do it. 

One way or another the OL will be addressed.  Only question is whether it's in UFA or the draft, and whether or not we choose the right guys.  Like if we sign Becton or Bakhtiari and that's it, then yeah I'd expect us to draft a RT at 10.  If we address both in UFA, then I'm guessing we go with a weapon at 10.  Free agency should tell us a lot about where we go in the draft.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I know he's been injured but the few times I've watched him play lately he hasn't been a standout. But according to experts he's the real deal. So at 10 worth it to select him even though Jets have a good no.1 tight end. 

Jets had Mayer on their Big Board after McDonald with all the same TEs on the roster last year, I think they want a stud TE.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  We need another receiving threat opposite GW, even if he plays TE.  If our options are a 2nd tier OL vs a superstar TE then I'll take Bowers.  Draft a C in round 3 and move Tippmann to OG.

Name me the last top-10 TE to prove worthy of that type of premium draft capital.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

First we'd have to have an offensive coaching staff that knows how to use a good TE...  This staff or any of our previous staffs have failed miserably with that position. Not saying we shouldn't draft him though.

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Name me the last top-10 TE to prove worthy of that type of premium draft capital.

This is absolutely part of the problem.

The other problem is that the closest we have to that right now is TJ Hockenson who's making $16.5m annually on a second contract and that's #2 at the position by AAV right now. Meanwhile someone like Christian Kirk makes $18m annually and that's #16 at the position by AAV. It's just so much easier for a player to have value on their rookie deal at a premium position.

You can argue that the second contract at the non-premium position is valuable - but the player also has to be really good to justify it. I guess the fifth year option is an easier sell too at tight end whereas it's really hard at something like guard where it's all OL, not just guards.

I was iffy on Jermaine Johnson when he was being discussed at #10, but him giving the team too 7.5 sacks with that $3Mish cap hit from being the #26 picks absolutely creates surplus value for the team in a way that a non-premium position player who wasn't an absolute home run just wouldn't.

None of this is to say you absolutely don't take Bowers - but it's definitely muddy because of his position from a couple different angles.

• Upvote 2

Bowers is exactly what this offense needs, a game breaking play maker that can get open quickly and can get the ball in his hands in multiple different ways.  He's legit one of the best TE prospects of all time.  His ceiling is HOF and TE goat conversation.  

He wont be there at 10.

9 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Bowers is exactly what this offense needs, a game breaking play maker that can get open quickly and can get the ball in his hands in multiple different ways.  He's legit one of the best TE prospects of all time.  His ceiling is HOF and TE goat conversation.  

He wont be there at 10.

Good.  I hope he’s gone by 10 so JD is protected from his own idiocy.

Bowers is an inferior prospect to Kyle Pitts coming out of Florida, and Pitts has been a major disappointment to say the least.

Rolling the dice on Bowers in the top 10 when your LT and RT situation are what they are — and you are naked in round 2 of the draft with zero picks, with a 40y old you desperately need to keep upright in 2024 — is certifiably insane.

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

He wont be there at 10.

What this offense needs is a LT, LG, and RT.

If AVT is a shell of himself — which is more likely than not in year 1 of Achilles tear recovery — they’ll need a RG too.

Jordan Love just threw for 30+ TDs  and led his team to the playoffs with 2 rookie 2nd round TEs with nowhere near the hype level of Bowers.

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, derp said:

This is absolutely part of the problem.

The other problem is that the closest we have to that right now is TJ Hockenson who's making $16.5m annually on a second contract and that's #2 at the position by AAV right now. Meanwhile someone like Christian Kirk makes $18m annually and that's #16 at the position by AAV. It's just so much easier for a player to have value on their rookie deal at a premium position.

You can argue that the second contract at the non-premium position is valuable - but the player also has to be really good to justify it. I guess the fifth year option is an easier sell too at tight end whereas it's really hard at something like guard where it's all OL, not just guards.

I was iffy on Jermaine Johnson when he was being discussed at #10, but him giving the team too 7.5 sacks with that $3Mish cap hit from being the #26 picks absolutely creates surplus value for the team in a way that a non-premium position player who wasn't an absolute home run just wouldn't.

None of this is to say you absolutely don't take Bowers - but it's definitely muddy because of his position from a couple different angles.

This is a good point.  Asking the question "Is the position worthy of a 2nd contract?"   We're coming up on that question with Breece in 2 years.   If Bowers lives up to the hype then he'd be worth a 2nd contract, imo.

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Good.  I hope he’s gone by 10 so JD is protected from his own idiocy.

Bowers is an inferior prospect to Kyle Pitts coming out of Florida, and Pitts has been a major disappointment to say the least.

Rolling the dice on Bowers in the top 10 when your LT and RT situation are what they are — and you are naked in round 2 of the draft with zero picks, with a 40y old you desperately need to keep upright in 2024 — is certifiably insane.

I'm a Florida alum, I loved me some Pitts but I disagree he's a better TE prospect.  Pitts was used as a big slot in Mullen's system and billed as basically a WR playing TE, its why he went 4th overall.  Bowers is a much better overall TE prospect.  His ability to block, play HB, play joker, etc. is much more diverse than Pitts and it showed in his production while he was arguably the best player  on the best team in college Football during his tenure.  And I dont think Pitts is a disappointment because he's a bad player.  His only year w/ even half way competent QB play he had 1k receiving yards and led the team in receptions as a rookie.  Good player on a bad team/offense w/ really bad QB play.  The guys  he's caught passes form 5 different QB's in the last 3 years.

If the Jets are able to add a veteran presence on the outside to compliment G.Wilson, a guy like Bowers would be damn near impossible to stop in this offense w/ Rodgers moving him around and delivering him the ball. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"Name me the last QB from OSU to prove worthy..." was the same type of argument until CJ Stroud.

This is a foolish comp.

The tape justified CJ Stroud going that high.

You have to look at how a guy’s game translates to the next level.  Bowers is not going to run over or away from guys at the next level.  

He’s beating up on inferior athletes in college.

OJ Howard went top-10 because of a few plays where he runs away from dudes for long TDs.

It’s fool’s gold.

Other than QB, the transition at the TE position is the most difficult and one of the most difficult to project.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is a foolish comp.

The tape justified CJ Stroud going that high.

You have to look at how a guy’s game translates to the next level.  Bowers is not going to run over or away from guys at the next level.  

He’s beating up on inferior athletes in college.

OJ Howard went top-10 because of a few plays where he runs away from dudes for long TDs.

It’s fool’s gold.

Other than QB, the transition at the TE position is the most difficult and one of the most difficult to project.

OJ Howard was taken 1.19

16 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What this offense needs is a LT, LG, and RT.

If AVT is a shell of himself — which is more likely than not in year 1 of Achilles tear recovery — they’ll need a RG too.

Jordan Love just threw for 30+ TDs  and led his team to the playoffs with 2 rookie 2nd round TEs with nowhere near the hype level of Bowers.

I agree they need them but they are also desperate for play makers.  And just because you need OL, you dont force the issue because of need and Bowers is a rare prospect.  This year T's prospect, are just like every single years T's prospects.  No studs, no stars, just run of the mill, dime a dozen, easy to find T's.  The position in general has become very easy to fill and can easily be addressed later in the draft and through FA.

But you're right, dont worry, he wont be there at 10, so yeah, maybe you get another Becton!