Derek Carr

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Better option than AR but no more old re-treads … let’s get a decent young QB seems there are many around the league. Other teams found them why can’t JD. 

And he likely wont be doing it this year as he is GMing for his job and can't look beyond 2024...

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

yay we would have had an average qb that couldnt even win the weakest division in the nfl. matter of fact he missed the playoffs entirely. and we would have had to pay him 150 million for that privilege.  i don't see how anyone has to "take the l".

wins are a team stat. our defense is much better than N.O. that average QB would have got us in the playoffs this year. 

the problem was we didnt need a HOF QB, we needed someone was wasnt the worst QB ever. a middle of the pack guy like Carr or Minchew.

but we had to go win a SB this year right? how about we make the playoffs for the 1st time in 13 years before we think SB? we went from learning how to crawl to trying to run a marathon.

we also cant forget the 2 draft picks we lost too. LT Jones and possibly WR Reed. 

everybody is crying over picking 10th over 6th but i want to see how we are going to cry when GB picks a guy we all wish we had with our 2nd rd pick this year. thats 3 premium picks used for Rodgers.

and how much are we paying Rodgers for the privilege to sit on the bench this year?? 300m plus?? 

and Carr wouldnt have stopped us from drafting a QB this year if we wanted. 

if Rodgers played we would have made the playoffs this year, but SBs are hard to win. thats why Rodgers only has one. Carr was the perfect Bridge QB for a few years while we drafted his replacement and sat him for a few years to learn. instead we are going to draft Rodgers replacement after he retires and force him to play before he is ready.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, doitny said:

Derek Carr

68. 4 % comp........ 6th

3878 yds................13th

25 TDs......................10th

8 INTs..................... 2nd with QBs who started 16 games or more. only Lamar was better with 7 INTs

97.7 Rate................10th

56.4 QBR..................18th

so for all you guys who didnt want him here just take the loss.

oh and we would have had Brodrick Jones as our LT. and maybe T Cody Mauch or WR Jayden Reed with that 2nd rd pick we gave GB.

and dont blame JD, 95 % of you wanted Rodgers. 

Jets weren’t winning anything with Derek Carr .    Like with the Raiders would have been an upgrade what you had.   Yes but Derek Carr isn’t taken you to where you want to get to - a championship.     So what the point .    Your just spinning your wheels putting a lot of money in a Qb position that not good enough to win with.   

A couple points why Derek Carr would have been a disaster with the Jets.    One his record when temperature goes below 32 .( he sucks in the cold -small hands). Two -  is very sensitive guy - he couldn’t handle the ny media , or their fans .   There is no crying in football.     3.   Fourth down and long .   You need to get the first down or you lose.  Throw it up give your team a chance at least, he will check it down .( gives your team no chance to win.   See the playoff game against the Bengals last play.  

Screw the carr family as they blame everyone but themselves . 

• Post of the Week 2

Hey Joe D,
This year get a legitimate back up behind Rogers. You know, someone who actually proved they could come in and win games in this league. Another thought, Joe, at some point go get a young quarterback prospect who can be number three. Let him sit behind the veterans and learn. So when we’re done with bringing in retread quarterbacks or reaching for one year wonders, we have a young quarterback, ready to lead this team for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, doitny said:

Derek Carr

68. 4 % comp........ 6th

8 INTs..................... 2nd with QBs who started 16 games or more. only Lamar was better with 7 INTs

oh and we would have had Brodrick Jones as our LT. and maybe T Cody Mauch or WR Jayden Reed with that 2nd rd pick we gave GB.

Carr was always the smart move.  It made far too much for the Jets to make.

Signing Rodgers was the exact the Jets M.O.  --- PR dictated Rodgers be the signing, made for a much splashier off-season.  Carr was the smarter football move - for a lot of reasons.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Had the situations reversed - Rodgers finding his way to New Orleans and eclipsing those numbers while Carr went on IR for the Jets - this same game would be played. You don't know what you don't know, which is what Carr's season on the Jets would have been. The idea is silly that it'd have been the same as he put up in New Orleans, if he even finished the season there.

How many games did he start in the rain and/or snow, and how many were not in gorgeous weather or outright in a dome?

• I count zero.
  • 13 dome games (including his 8 home games), plus favorable if not outright gorgeous weather in all 4 of his other road games.

How many wins against playoff teams?

• The only one I see was against Tampa and their bottom-5 pass defense, also coinciding with NO's defense pitching a shutout until halfway through the 4th quarter. 

How many TDs only came in worthless garbage time?

• At least 5 (and arguments could be made for 2 more)

How many with Laken Tomlinson as his only OLman to start every game, his best OLman going on IR a month into the season, some 15 OL combinations throughout the season, the HC/OC more or less benching Kamara for the first month as well, etc.?

Just saying, if one's going to try apples to apples comparisons, it's not as compelling if one does it with oranges. ;) 

•  

Ooh, now do the "if we just lost those two games we'd have got Trevor Lawrence". :D  

• Haha 1

Just now, dbatesman said:

Playoffs, you say? Man, glad we dodged that bullet

There would still be doubters and naysayers complaining that we were stuck in limbo ... not good enough to make any noise in the playoffs, yet effing up our precious draft spot so we can't ever get any better. ;-) 

• Haha 1

Just now, fltflo said:

Hey Joe D,
This year get a legitimate back up behind Rogers. You know, someone who actually proved they could come in and win games in this league. Another thought, Joe, at some point go get a young quarterback prospect who can be number three. Let him sit behind the veterans and learn. So when we’re done with bringing in retread quarterbacks or reaching for one year wonders, we have a young quarterback, ready to lead this team for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That makes so much sense what you wrote , but you know it’s not going to happen.   The Jets are desperate to do everything to win it all next year.   Everyone from the Gm to the coach are under tremendous pressure to win. ( the owner)    There jobs on the line , and they are more concerned about their immediate job, not helping some other group down the line see the benefits.    

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, doitny said:

Derek Carr

68. 4 % comp........ 6th

Did he even want to come here? Allen was his coach in Oakland. I think his agent was trying to use us as a negotiating tool. NY isn't the place for a nice guy like Carr. Spent a good portion of his youth & HS in Tx.

I vacilated between Carr and Rodgers almost daily. In the end, I ended up on the Rodgers train, so I'll take the L

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Had the situations reversed - Rodgers finding his way to New Orleans and eclipsing those numbers while Carr went on IR for the Jets - this same game would be played. You don't know what you don't know, which is what Carr's season on the Jets would have been. The idea is silly that it'd have been the same as he put up in New Orleans, if he even finished the season there.

we dont know what we dont know, but the guy has avged over 20 TDs each year, we had 11 TDs from our QBs. i think he would have been better than 11. 

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• The only one I see was against Tampa and their bottom-5 pass defense, also coinciding with NO's defense pitching a shutout until halfway through the 4th quarter. 

you can only play who is on your schedule. he lost by one to GB, 7 to the Texans and 5 to Detroit and 8 to the Rams. those are one score games. our defense is much better than the Saints. 

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

i counted 3 garbage time TDs..lol

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How many with Laken Tomlinson as his only OLman to start every game, his best OLman going on IR a month into the season, some 15 OL combinations throughout the season, the HC/OC more or less benching Kamara for the first month as well, etc.?

he would have had Brodrick Jones as his LT. who knows how that would have improved the OL. i know having Jones here would make me feel better about the OL for our future.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

benching Kamara for the first month as well,

i love Hall but he has struggle in games this year.

1st NE game 12 carries 1.2 ypc

Phila 12 carries 3.3 ypc

Giants 12 carries 1.4 ypc

LAC 16 carries 3.1 ypc

LVR 13 carries 2.2 ypc

Buffalo 12 carries 2.3 ypc

Atlanta 13 carries 1.2 ypc

Hall is a feast or famine RB. you cant keep giving him the ball when he is avging this during the game.

21 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

but Derek Carr isn’t taken you to where you want to get to - a championship.     So what the point .

how about we make the playoffs a few times before we think championship?

we went all in when we had no business to. the loss of those draft picks with Rodgers and him being the GM stopping us from drafting and signing who we want is going to hurt the future of this franchise. 

28 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Playoffs, you say? Man, glad we dodged that bullet

Zach Wilson led the 2023 Jets to three (3) wins over teams currently in the playoffs. The great Derek Carr led the 2023 Saints to one (1) win over a team currently in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach Wilson led the 2023 Jets to three (3) wins over teams currently in the playoffs. The great Derek Carr led the 2023 Saints to one (1) win over a team currently in the playoffs.

Wait so would Carr have had us in the playoffs, or is he worse than Zach Wilson

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Wait so would Carr have had us in the playoffs, or is he worse than Zach Wilson

Carr is better than Zach. A better QB gets the Jets into the playoffs. Jacoby Brissett has the Jets in the playoffs. None of those guys are winning a game in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I regret nothing 

Aaron Rodgers is arguably a Mount Rushmore QB. Derek Carr is a middle of the road, Kirk Cousins/Ryan Tannehill-esque presence at the position that will ultimately lead you nowhere.

Rodgers suffering a freak injury 4 plays into the season isn’t going to make me pine for mediocrity.

Rodgers is done.  He was done his last year in GB.   He's surely not going to get better two years later coming off an ACL.  Carr is the better QB at this point in their careers right now.  You're getting mediocrity either way.

Carr was the smart move for the long term of the franchise forward.  Team stays in playoff contention and competitive while they find their QB of the future and help him learn under Carr...As opposed to handing the reigns over to Rodgers to run the organization with no real plan for the future and cap pain lasting long after Rodgers is gone.

Rodgers was the fun and splashy signing but the wrong strategic football decision.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Carr is better than Zach. A better QB gets the Jets into the playoffs. Jacoby Brissett has the Jets in the playoffs. None of those guys are winning a game in the playoffs.

Outside of the Ravens I think the Jets could have gone toe to toe with any of these AFC playoff teams with an average QB. The Chiefs normally would be included w/Ravens but something is off with them this year.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Outside of the Ravens I think the Jets could have gone toe to toe with any of these AFC playoff teams with an average QB. The Chiefs normally would be included w/Ravens but something is off with them this year.

They almost found a way to lose to Zach Wilson, so, yeah

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How many games did he start in the rain and/or snow, and how many were not in gorgeous weather or outright in a dome?

• I count zero.
  • 13 dome games (including his 8 home games), plus favorable if not outright gorgeous weather in all 4 of his other road games.

Just saying, if one's going to try apples to apples comparisons, it's not as compelling if one does it with oranges. ;) 

•  
  •  

All of Carr's production came against the bottom feeders of the NFL. 18 TDs vs 4 INTs came in nine games against bottom 15 defenses in the NFL:

Falcons x 2 games: 18th 
Rams: 19th
Giants: 26th
Panthers X 2 games: 29th
Bears: 20th
Colts: 28th
Patriots: 15th

Against the rest of the league (top 15 defenses) in eight games: 7 TDs vs 4 INTs. There are no stats to show that Derek Carr is a good QB. The man meddles in mediocrity and eats because bad defenses exist in the NFL.

• Post of the Week 2

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Rodgers is done.  He was done his last year in GB.   He's surely not going to get better two years later coming off an ACL.  Carr is the better QB at this point in their careers right now.  You're getting mediocrity either way.

Carr was the smart move for the long term of the franchise forward.  Team stays in playoff contention and competitive while they find their QB of the future and help him learn under Carr...As opposed to handing the reigns over to Rodgers to run the organization with no real plan for the future and cap pain lasting long after Rodgers is gone.

Rodgers was the fun and splashy signing but the wrong strategic football decision.

You’re calling it the wrong move because he popped his Achilles before he was even able to complete a single pass in a Jets uniform.

Rodgers had previously gone 5 straight years without missing a single game and was one season removed from back to back MVP campaigns, and that was with Mahomes playing at a godly level.

Rodgers will be back next season. And at the very least he’ll throw for something like 3800 yards, 25-30 TD’s and 8-10 INT’s.

In other words, even at 40 he’ll still be the best Jets QB many fans have seen in their lifetimes.

No regrets

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

None of those guys are winning a game in the playoffs.

Though I disagree with this. We beat the Bills, Eagles, and Texans with Zach starting. If we were playing this weekend, we certainly wouldn't be favored against anyone, but other than the Ravens, nobody on the AFC side of the bracket is overpowering.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Though I disagree with this. We beat the Bills, Eagles, and Texans with Zach starting. If we were playing this weekend, we certainly wouldn't be favored against anyone, but other than the Ravens, nobody on the AFC side of the bracket is overpowering.

So I think this speaks to the calculation they made last offseason—if the roster is good enough to make the playoffs with an average QB, what if we brought in a (formerly) elite QB for roughly the same money?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

All of Carr's production came against the bottom feeders of the NFL. 18 TDs vs 4 INTs came in nine games against bottom 15 defenses in the NFL:

Against the rest of the league (top 15 defenses) in eight games: 7 TDs vs 4 INTs. There are no stats to show that Derek Carr is a good QB. The man meddles in mediocrity and eats because bad defenses exist in the NFL.

Yep I noticed that, too. 

I wouldn't totally disregard every game like that - in fairness to Carr - because every top QB pads stats to a degree against crappy defenses (that's in no small part how those defenses get those crappy stats). But yep it's quite a contrast.

Would we have made the playoffs this year with him -- IF he made it through the whole season, and IF those stats even still held up in bad weather, which many are taking as a given ? Yeah we would have had a better chance than with Zach et al (duh) of reaching the postseason, but Carr's schizo enough that he may have had some worse or no-better games than even Zach/others had against the likes of Dallas, NE twice, KC, Buffalo twice, Vegas, Cleveland, Houston. Also though Miami isn't a top defense, would the Carr Jets have kept up with Miami's offense (twice)? That represents 11 of our games. We'd have to have won all the other games without exception, plus probably 4 more from that good-defense group. All that with CDavis retiring in August, the coaches holding back Breece for the first month, and an OL with some 15 combination changes? The playoffs were no sure thing with Carr either, to say the least. 

To lock into and build around him for a few years? Well y1 no doubt it worked out better than Rodgers, but not making the playoffs he's got a better excuse than Carr tbh. And OK yeah it'd be better than the past 3 years of Zach, no doubt. But a QB like Carr is a QB I'd only be OK with guaranteeing 1 year, and after that keeping him is at the team's pleasure depending on how fast/slow development is going on the guy they also just drafted in Carr's y1. Even in such a scenario, though, they were better off treading water with someone different (Mayfield, etc.) for a season, since Carr wasn't going to sign up for just a 1 yr guarantee himself.

I just don't see Carr as some great opportunity lost. Pat Mahomes was an opportunity lost. Not trading up for Goff and instead extending Mo Wilkerson and drafting Christian Hackenberg was an opportunity lost. Taking Darnold over Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson (and not trading away a trio of 2nd rounders in the process) was an opportunity lost. Carr? Meh.

12 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Hindsight is fun and super easy huh? What else can we do??

A lot of people do not know what that word means to be honest.

It does not mean you are documenting what you thought before the decision as made.

It means you suddenly state something you had no opinion on before.

If you wanted Carr before the process and its to this point utter failure it is not hind sight to point out the folly of the rodgers move now.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

But we would have been so much better with Mike White. 

We would have though that is the issue, pick any FA QB you like and we would have been better off.

- No loss of valuable draft resources.

- No egregious contract who's hammer is going to fall in the coming years.

- No bringer of horrible hanger on jag players and coaches who made the team a lot worse.

- The above players and coach have actually majorly influence other team decision making and team make up.

- No 40 year old QB who you know you have to push all chips in the next year.

- No constant media distraction from the same player

Carr, White, Minshew you name it would have been better.

-

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This.  Go look at him week by week.  He is who he was w/ the Raiders.  Good enough to beat very bad teams, not good enough to beat average to good teams.  The other thing was weather and he plays in a dome now.  His team missed the playoffs in the easiest division in the NFL.  He's the mush, like he always has been and would have been awful here in the type of weather the Jets played in this season.  So glad the Jets arent strapped to that turd.