Elite TEs

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Was noticing yesterday that all 4 teams left in the playoffs had elite TEs.

KC: Kelce

SF: Kittle

BAL: Andrews

DET: LaPorta

Bowers at 10 is starting to be my favorite pick. He in essence would knock 2 birds out with 1 stone. Getting an elite playmaker at a position they’re pretty much always a mismatch for defenses at. As well as a capable blocker. We all know the OL needs to addressed. But maybe go and do that in FA to where we can truly go BPA at 10. We know we really liked Mayer last year at TE and nearly drafted him. So we clearly think TE is valuable with us spending money on Conklin and Uzo 2 years ago and drafting Ruckert mid round a couple years ago.

Bowers at 10 100% the way to go.

However, Bowers unlikely to be there at 10.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Am I wrong in saying it seems typically tight ends aren't elite without a QB who is about elite as well? I just remember Jimmy Graham being unstoppeable with Breeze and then falling off face of the map when he went to next team. Think it was Seagulls? 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Not a chance I’m touching a TE at 10

Don't worry.  Somebody else will probably take him before he gets that far.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Kelce: R3
Kittle: R5
Andrews: R3
LaPorta: R2

This is true but would you really care in hindsight if the Jets took:

Travis Kelce at #9 overall instead of Dee Milliner?   

George Kittle at #6 instead of Jamal Adams?

LaPorta at #15 instead of Will McDonald?

Ok fine, I'll give you Darnold over Mark Andrews.

Speaking of which, who are the 7th round QB's this year you like, similar to Brock Purdy? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Was noticing yesterday that all 4 teams left in the playoffs had elite TEs.

KC: Kelce

SF: Kittle

BAL: Andrews

DET: LaPorta

Bowers at 10 is starting to be my favorite pick. He in essence would knock 2 birds out with 1 stone. Getting an elite playmaker at a position they’re pretty much always a mismatch for defenses at. As well as a capable blocker. We all know the OL needs to addressed. But maybe go and do that in FA to where we can truly go BPA at 10. We know we really liked Mayer last year at TE and nearly drafted him. So we clearly think TE is valuable with us spending money on Conklin and Uzo 2 years ago and drafting Ruckert mid round a couple years ago.

Did you not see the Chiefs and Lions dominate the trenches all playoffs?

The Lions choked it away, but the point still stands.

• Upvote 2

LOL

You know what the Chiefs and Lions also have?

Quarterbacks better than dogsh-t Zach Wilson 😂

And good to great pass protecting offensive lines 😂so the QB actually has time to wait for the lumbering TEs to get open.

The problem with this idea is not that you don’t need a viable pass catching TE.

The problem is investing a 10th overall pick and the opportunity cost associated with that:

Kelce 3rd round

Kittle 5th round 

LaPorta 2nd round

Kincaid late 1st round 

Gronk 2nd round 

Aaron Hernandez 4th round 

Antonio Gates UDFA

Recent TEs to go top-10:

— Ebron (LOL)

— Vernon Davis 

— Kyle Pitts

— Hockenson (dealt for a pick swap, then Lions upgrade over him with LaPorta)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

This is true but would you really care in hindsight if the Jets took:

Travis Kelce at #9 overall instead of Dee Milliner?   

George Kittle at #6 instead of Jamal Adams?

LaPorta at #15 instead of Will McDonald?

Ok fine, I'll give you Darnold over Mark Andrews.

Speaking of which, who are the 7th round QB's this year you like, similar to Brock Purdy? 

I think the Jets are more likely to select a Dee Milliner, Jamal Adams, Kyle Brady or Anthony Becht than Travis Kelce.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Don't worry.  Somebody else will probably take him before he gets that far.

Man I hope so.

If the tackles are all gone, I’d trade back.

There is plenty of WR and OT talent in this draft.

To justify taking BB that high as a TE, he’d have to basically be a HOF type talent and start producing that way right away.

Also, TE is notorious for being maybe the hardest transition from college to the pros.

You’ve got AR8 in maybe his final season.

The Jets don’t need Bowers.

They need a scouting department and GM capable of identifying the difference-making talent that’s available every year in the later rounds like Mark Andrews (3rd round) and Kittle (5th round).

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Man I hope so.

To justify taking BB that high as a TE, he’d have to basically be a HOF type talent and start producing that way right away.

Also, TE is notorious for being maybe the hardest transition from college to the pros.

They need a scouting department and GM capable of identifying the difference-making talent that’s available every year in the later rounds like Mark Andrews (3rd round) and Kittle (5th round).

Except he can line up and win as a TE or a WR while giving you elite blocking to improve the OL.

That's why he's unlikely to be there at 10.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Kelce: R3
Kittle: R5
Andrews: R3
LaPorta: R2

Yes, but why let facts get in the way of an impassioned argument / plea.

The hype seems more ridiculous than it ever was for Pitts, who was a superior prospect.

All that’s left is for Bowers to tell Woody that if he doesn’t take him at #10, it will be “the biggest mistake of his life”.

Jet fans have already decided Bowers is the greatest TE in NFL history.

• Haha 1

If we're talking Bowers vs Oregon State RT, im taking Bowers 10 times out of 10.

We're overvaluing OL because we had Zach Wilson playing QB, when Siemien took over they started playing better.

Get a couple veterans in FA (Mike Onwenu!!!) and we should be good with 2 core pices like Tippman and AVT.

Don't reach for need get the blue chip prospect.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Man I hope so.

The scouting department and GM capable of identifying the difference making talent that's available every year in the later rounds, like Mark Andrews thought that Hayden Hurst was worth #25 overall in the same draft.  The scouting department and GM capable of identifying the difference making talent that's available every year in the later rounds, like George Kittle thought that Solomon Thomas was worth #3 overall and used #31 on Ruben Foster.

Here's the point that hasn't come up: Rodgers doesn't like throwing over the middle of the field, where TEs often do most of their work. The last time he played in an offense that heavily "featured" a TE was 2011-2013 with Jermichael Finley. After him, most of the TEs were an ancillary piece as a 4th or 5th option in the passing game. 

I love Brock Bowers and think he'd be a great long-term piece, but the Jets only chance at reaching the promised land over the next 2-3 years falls directly on Rodgers' shoulders. That means we need to protect him (which should be the case with all QBs) and fill the offense with YAC/vertical weapons that Rodgers seems to prefer. Investing the 10th pick in a guy who may be the 4th option in the passing game just doesn't feel wise to me. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I want to believe in this.  I really do.

But Kyle Pitts was a sure thing three years ago.  What happened?

He put up 1,000 yards as a rookie TE which is essentially unheard of and then, for whatever reason, stopped trying.

Let's see what he does with a new head coach if they can get him interested in playing football again.

1 minute ago, LSJF said:

No love for Ruckert and Conklin? We've drafted TE in the first round remember Kyle Brady ?  If he falls to us as the BPA, then I guess..

I like Carter Warren.  That doesn't mean I think the Jets should pass on Joe Alt.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Here's the point that hasn't come up: Rodgers doesn't like throwing over the middle of the field, where TEs often do most of their work. The last time he played in an offense that heavily "featured" a TE was 2011-2013 with Jermichael Finley. After him, most of the TEs were an ancillary piece as a 4th or 5th option in the passing game. 

I love Brock Bowers and think he'd be a great long-term piece, but the Jets only chance at reaching the promised land over the next 2-3 years falls directly on Rodgers' shoulders. That means we need to protect him (which should be the case with all QBs) and fill the offense with YAC/vertical weapons that Rodgers seems to prefer. Investing the 10th pick in a guy who may be the 4th option in the passing game just doesn't feel wise to me. 

Not a problem, he can win from the slot and boundary as well.  Wasn't exclusively a "middle of the field guy" in college and shouldn't be in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

lol, I was just thinking this. Yea, you need a good qb to make a TE but you also need a good QB who likes throwing to the TE to make a good tight end work.

16 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Has Rodgers ever favored throwing to the TE position?  There are a couple decent TE seasons mixed in Rodgers career, but I just can’t recall anything spectacular. 

He loves throwing shorter passes to guys who can gain yards after the catch.  Bowers is one of the best YAC guys in this class and can line up in the slot or outside if Rodgers prefers.