WASHINGTON HIRES QUINN AS HC

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m not a fan of Quinn. Not a great hire IMO

Agreed and clearly he wasn't their top pick or they would have hired him weeks ago. Closing time at the bar, trying to catch whatever is halfway vertical before they're out the door...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
39 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:
I love this hire because of how the 2025 HC class is looking
- Ben Johnson
- Mike Vrabel
- Bill Belichick
- Pete Carroll
- Mike Kafka

Cross Pete Carroll and BB off the list. Neither would work for the Jets.

but they could be interesting to other teams and leave the other 4 to us

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

BB is all about ego and I'm sure there is a bigger ego booster than winning a championship with the lowly sh*tty Jets to throw it back in the face of Kraft and Brady. This is still very unrealistic from happening of course.

I do think Pete Carroll is sort of the perfect coach if we do well but realize that Saleh isn't getting us over the hump and we still have Rodgers for another year or two. He would be the guy to try and squeeze out a SB with Rodgers still active. Given Carroll's age I don't think he would have many options next year and the Jets roster presumably would be the perfect scenario for him to try and win one more with no 5+ year commitment. 

BB is all about ego and I'm sure there is a bigger ego booster than winning a championship with the lowly sh*tty Jets to throw it back in the face of Kraft and Brady. This is still very unrealistic from happening of course.

That would be the best of all worlds.  We'd win a SB and Patriots' fans would forever hate BB.  lol

I do think Pete Carroll is sort of the perfect coach if we do well but realize that Saleh isn't getting us over the hump and we still have Rodgers for another year or two. He would be the guy to try and squeeze out a SB with Rodgers still active. Given Carroll's age I don't think he would have many options next year and the Jets roster presumably would be the perfect scenario for him to try and win one more with no 5+ year commitment. 

I think Pete Carroll would be the perfect coach for however long we're going with AR8.  But if Saleh gets fired, it means that things didn't go well and we're heading in a new direction.  In that case, Pete Carroll wouldn't fit at all.  I'd be fine with Pete Carroll being our HC this coming year, though, and letting him stay on for a couple of years and try to squeeze out what he could.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

But if Saleh gets fired, it means that things didn't go well and we're heading in a new direction.  In that case, Pete Carroll wouldn't fit at all.  I'd be fine with Pete Carroll being our HC this coming year, though, and letting him stay on for a couple of years and try to squeeze out what he could.

Not necessarily....the Broncos fired Fox after going to the Super Bowl and then losing in the Divisional Round to Indy.

Denver knew they had limited time with Manning's career and needed someone (Kubiak) to get them over the top. Rodgers isn't here to lost in the Wild Card and call it a career. 

I can see a scenario where we make the playoffs but Saleh is still let go.

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not necessarily....the Broncos fired Fox after going to the Super Bowl and then losing in the Divisional Round to Indy.

Denver knew they had limited time with Manning's career and needed someone (Kubiak) to get them over the top. Rodgers isn't here to lost in the Wild Card and call it a career. 

I can see a scenario where we make the playoffs but Saleh is still let go.

So we make the playoffs next year but but Saleh still gets fired?  Where do I sign for that?!?!?!   lol

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

That's a major issue because even if that is so, look at what happened when Shanahan left for the Niners. That's the problem with hiring these defensive guys and relying on your OC to coach up that side of the ball, if they do a halfway decent job they're getting poached and you're back at square one.

Certainly a risk. If you're hiring a DC you want to be sure he's got an idea of what he wants and that what he wants is good -- i.e. not some Rex type that wants to win with defense and thinks every drive that ends in a kick is good.

Any HC needs to be one who makes good hires and fills out a good staff. If your assistants are good enough to get poached something is going well.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Honestly Quinn is a good coach. Need to nail the OC hire, which is true for any defensive guy, but when he had Shanahan he went to the Super Bowl.

And when Shanahan didn’t have Quinn he went to two. Easy to see who the monkey and the organ grinder are in this act.😁

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So we make the playoffs next year but but Saleh still gets fired?  Where do I sign for that?!?!?!   lol

I'm telling you....it's not out of the realm of possibility. Woody wants to make Rodgers happy and Rodgers is here to win. 

If we make the playoffs and get bounced out early and Rodgers says to Woody "Hey this isn't the guy..." hes GONE

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:
I love this hire because of how the 2025 HC class is looking
- Ben Johnson
- Mike Vrabel
- Bill Belichick
- Pete Carroll
- Mike Kafka

Cross Pete Carroll and BB off the list. Neither would work for the Jets.

No, but they will go somewhere - unless Carroll has decided he's done coaching for good - and that leaves other candidates in the available pool. That's on top of those who'll get canned a year from now as their teams decide on coaching resets of their own.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, but they will go somewhere - unless Carroll has decided he's done coaching for good - and that leaves other candidates in the available pool. That's on top of those who'll get canned a year from now as their teams decide on coaching resets of their own.

You think there will be a market for Pete Carroll?  I think it would have to be the perfect situation (like ours going into next year, for example) of a team that has a short window to "win now" and then the plan would be to rebuild after that.  But other than that, I think the trend right now is the young, hot-shot coordinator (probably preferably OC but there have been DC's hired as well).  BB will likely get a job somewhere because how could he not?!  But it's amazing that he got left out this cycle.  And if he's really not coaching for a year, teams might look at him like he's a relic by next offseason.

Even though BB has caused us a lot of pain, though, I still hope he coaches somewhere.  I still think the game is better with him in it.  Though if he doesn't get a HC job this year, I would love it if he goes into broadcasting for at least a year (a studio guy feels like it would make the most sense to me but they can probably create a role for him because he's been around so long and knows so much about the history of the game).

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

You think there will be a market for Pete Carroll? 

I can only see a team like us, Buffalo (if they decide hey we need to win asap and McDouche ain't it), Chiefs (if Andy retires this or next year), Jax, Eagles.

I think we'd actually be a pretty attractive destination for a guy like Johnson, especially if AVT stays on the field and we hit on this 10th overall.  Garrett, Breece, AVT, Tippmann, and Fuaga/Bowers ain't a bad foundation on offense.  Assuming Johnson would have complete say in the QB we target in the draft, and our new GM would have the green light to trade whatever picks are necessary to make sure we get that QB.  

If Johnson doesn't consider us, IMO it would be because of Woody, and/or not wanting to coach under the microscope in NY.  On paper this team has 10x more talent than we had for any previous coaching hire that I can remember.  

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think that Vrable is just chillin' until the Pats can fire Mayo. They miscalculated the situation when they essentially gave him a contract clause stating he would be the next HC of the NEP, not realizing Vrable would leave Tennessee. 

And looking at that patriots roster, unless one of these QBs wind up pulling off a CJ stroud type season, it’s going to be a miracle for the pats to pull off a 6-7 win season. If things go really bad, firing mayo for vrabel would keep the pats fans happy.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

And when Shanahan didn’t have Quinn he went to two. Easy to see who the monkey and the organ grinder are in this act.😁

I mean, I think Shanahan is probably a top two most desirable coach in the league. Clearly without him Matt Ryan isn't MVP and the Falcons don't go to the Super Bowl.

I don't think that makes Quinn a bad HC and that he couldn't in theory replicate success especially in a 2nd gig.

Sometimes people forget that "retreads" aren't automatically the same as their first run and in fact can learn things from their first job that helps them succeed in their second.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hiring this defensive-minded coach leads me to think that there is at least the possibility of Quinn wanting a vet QB in free agency/trade and trading down from the second pick...

Offer him Zach for a bowl of Big Ben's Chili. So good. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't see the Pats firing Mayo at the end of year 1 though.  Do you think Vrabel is going to wait around for a minimum of 2 years in the hopes that the Pats' job will open up?  

Pats are not waiting around for Vrabel and not firing Mayo after 1 season.  They love Mayo.

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You think there will be a market for Pete Carroll?  I think it would have to be the perfect situation (like ours going into next year, for example) of a team that has a short window to "win now" and then the plan would be to rebuild after that.  But other than that, I think the trend right now is the young, hot-shot coordinator (probably preferably OC but there have been DC's hired as well).  BB will likely get a job somewhere because how could he not?!  But it's amazing that he got left out this cycle.  And if he's really not coaching for a year, teams might look at him like he's a relic by next offseason.

Even though BB has caused us a lot of pain, though, I still hope he coaches somewhere.  I still think the game is better with him in it.  Though if he doesn't get a HC job this year, I would love it if he goes into broadcasting for at least a year (a studio guy feels like it would make the most sense to me but they can probably create a role for him because he's been around so long and knows so much about the history of the game).

Don't know if Carroll even wants to coach again. But if he doesn't take a job by next year I think that'd be it. He turns 73 in September; a season later means 74 in his first season with a new team? I know he looks great for his age, but 74 is 74. How many years is he supposed to be at a new gig then -- any team would hope 3 seasons, so that'd be his age 74, 75 and 76 seasons. 

Belichick is only 6 months younger. That doesn't mean either doesn't want to return and someone isn't willing to take one on as a 2-3 year bridge out of the muck.

I can't decide for either of them, but already they should be working on year-round spending the tens of millions they've made. Other than hat generic advice, I don't care what either will do. But if one of them does take a HC job that'll be one other candidate available for the Jets, if they even dump Saleh after this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I think we'd actually be a pretty attractive destination for a guy like Johnson, especially if AVT stays on the field and we hit on this 10th overall.  Garrett, Breece, AVT, Tippmann, and Fuaga/Bowers ain't a bad foundation on offense.  Assuming Johnson would have complete say in the QB we target in the draft, and our new GM would have the green light to trade whatever picks are necessary to make sure we get that QB.  

If Johnson doesn't consider us, IMO it would be because of Woody, and/or not wanting to coach under the microscope in NY.  On paper this team has 10x more talent than we had for any previous coaching hire that I can remember.  

Anyone with a shred of intelligence and dignity isn't going to accept taking orders from a brainless sh!t stain like Woody. 

That's why the Jets are always scraping the bottom of the barrel when looking for coaches.