~~~ Unofficial Super Bowl Thread KC vs SF ~~~

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Giving up two shallow crossers in huge spots after shutting it down the entire game is inexcusable. Probably figured Bosa was gassed and wanted to ensure they got pressure

The niners came out on fire playing 100 miles an hour and you just cannot sustain play like that for an entire game.

Sure enough by the 2nd half they looked tired and Chiefs started rolling.

You really could see this game unfolding when Chiefs didn't panic, played steady and kept it close and let the niners tired themselves out and Shanahan be Shanahan in a big game.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Taylor has several hundred thousand Asian teens sleeping on the street waiting to watch her concert in two days, but sure Travis, congrats on your little Super Bowl win over Brock Pirdy

This is wrong.

There are several hundred thousand Australian teens sleeping on the street waiting to watch her concert. She's playing Melbourne and Sydney from next weekend until the end of the month.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Terrible decision by Shanahan to take the ball in OT after winning the coin toss.  The new OT rules are that a TD doesn't automatically win the game.  The only way both teams don't get a possession each is if the defense scores.

So you can't win the game even if you get a TD.  You can lose the game on that first possession though if the opposing defense scores.  And if you get a FG, the opposing team knows exactly what they have to accomplish.  The Chiefs knew they were in 4 down territory on that entire drive.  That allowed them to call plays differently.

It's like opposing head coaches take a dose of crazy pills when having to face the Chiefs and Mahomes in the post-season. The Bills, the Ravens and the Niners all done screwed up.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Terrible decision by Shanahan to take the ball in OT after winning the coin toss.  The new OT rules are that a TD doesn't automatically win the game.  The only way both teams don't get a possession each is if the defense scores.

So you can't win the game even if you get a TD.  You can lose the game on that first possession though if the opposing defense scores.  And if you get a FG, the opposing team knows exactly what they have to accomplish.  The Chiefs knew they were in 4 down territory on that entire drive.  That allowed them to call plays differently.

Said this at the time. Shanahan made many coaching mistakes and this was one.  Once again getting pass happy in a SB you were in control of is another.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

It's like opposing head coaches take a dose of crazy pills when having to face the Chiefs and Mahomes in the post-season. The Bills, the Ravens and the Niners all done screwed up.

I always thought BB was a great coach partially because he was the only HC who seemed to understand stuff like this.  The rest of these guys seem to have their heads in the clouds.  It's amazing in this age of analytics that they can't figure stuff like this out.

EDIT: Though Andy Reid should've challenged the spot on that play that required them to go on 4th and 1 in OT (where Mahomes ran for the 1st down himself).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The niners came out on fire playing 100 miles an hour and you just cannot sustain play like that for an entire game.

You really could see this game unfolding when Chiefs didn't panic, played steady and kept it close and let the niners tired themselves out and Shanahan be Shanahan in a big game.

As we often see, the failure to extend that 10-0 lead while the Chiefs offense was stumbling over most of the first three quarters turned out to be their Achilles heel.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Seeing Mecole Hardman celebrating while confetti falls is surreal.

What was great was Hardman holding the throphy on stage and being told "Hey you made the winning play to win the Super Bowl.....now get off the stage.

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

Looked like both teams were exhausted in OT. Makes sense   not letting a  FG on the 1st possession win, but scoring a TD on the 1st possession should be it. May be the Niners would have made different choices. 

Refs mostly let them play today. Did let some holding go late but was the case for both teams. Would hope come September the NFL take that point to heart and stops making every game a flag festival. 

Disagree. Both teams should get a possession no matter what. 

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

Disagree. Both teams should get a possession no matter what. 

Defense is part of football. If you can hold the team with the 1st possession to a FG, you get a possession. But a TD, you lose. It's fair. The new rule is garbage. 

32 minutes ago, hawk said:

Maybe it has been said,  SF got away from the run.  McCaffery is your go to, and it seemed they put the game more on Purdys back.

Meh idk. I thought they should have thrown the ball on the 2nd and goal. Purdy played pretty well overall. 

37 minutes ago, hawk said:

Maybe it has been said,  SF got away from the run.  McCaffery is your go to, and it seemed they put the game more on Purdys back.

Yup

you have a lead and you try and control the clock and wear down the kc defense

mccaffery was getting yards in the first half

you use him period

there is a trend with shanahan and not a good one

Couple of things I learned from this post season.

1) It is Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid's world and we are just living in it. You had the Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger era where for probably 10+ years one of them were in the Super Bowl. Right now it is Mahomes and Reid over Everybody. Doesn't matter if is Lamar and Harbaugh, McDermott and Josh Allen, Siriani and Hurts the Chiefs will find a way to beat to you. 

Go to Buffalo win

Go to Baltimore win

Super Bowl SF win

The Chiefs didn't even have that great of a regular season yet when the playoffs came around they turned on the switch and off they went.

2) Defense still wins Championships - Yeah I know I know bla bla don't want to hear about it. But for as great as Mahomes is if the Chiefs defense doesn't hold SF on their last drive in regulation and again hold them to a FG in OT Mahomes doesn't even get a shot to win the game. The Chiefs defense won this title. Two biggest plays of the game IMHO In OT Chiefs blitz on 3rd down Purdy throws incomplete Niners have to settle for FG.

Niners blitz on 3rd and long Mahomes hits the pass keeps the drive.

3) There is no hope for the Jets or any other team in the AFC. - If the Chiefs can pretty much sleepwalk the regular season and then turn it on the playoffs and beat the Bills in Buffalo, The Ravens in Baltimore, and win another Super Bowl then who is going to beat them ? I don't see alot of hope right now, If this wasn't they year the Chiefs go down then I give up.

Now they start the road to a three peat  This might be the one goal that is left for them.

42 minutes ago, hawk said:

I though early in the 2nd half they did but got back to it later in the game and in OT.

Game came down to this in OT. Chiefs defense held the Niners to a FG and the Chiefs scored a TD

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I always thought BB was a great coach partially because he was the only HC who seemed to understand stuff like this.  The rest of these guys seem to have their heads in the clouds.  It's amazing in this age of analytics that they can't figure stuff like this out.

EDIT: Though Andy Reid should've challenged the spot on that play that required them to go on 4th and 1 in OT (where Mahomes ran for the 1st down himself).

There are no challenges in OT (I believe)

1 minute ago, shawn306 said:

I though early in the 2nd half they did but got back to it later in the game and in OT.

Game came down to this in OT. Chiefs defense held the Niners to a FG and the Chiefs scored a TD

CMC had 30 touches.  22 rushes, 8 receptions.

8 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The 49ers took advantage of KC sitting back early in the game. Purdy had plenty of time. Spagnola made adjustments increasingly turning up the heat with blitzing. Once KC’s D got dialed in, they made sure that Purdy would have to get rid of the ball quickly. It wound up working and it allowed KC to claw their way back. Spagnola has proven to be a great big game DC.

• Upvote 1

I'm not gonna kill the Niners. They just got beat by a dynasty. They have been there, done that 4 of the last 5 years, nothing phases them. Down 10, no panic. Just make adjustments and keep playing. Offense makes a play, Defense comes up with big stop, Special Teams recovers a fumble, block and XP (and how huge was that). 

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The 49ers took advantage of KC sitting back early in the game. Purdy had plenty of time. Spagnola made adjustments increasingly turning up the heat with blitzing. Once KC’s D got dialed in, they made sure that Purdy would have to get rid of the ball quickly. It wound up working and it allowed KC to claw their way back. Spagnola has proven to be a great big game DC.

Agreed. Spags doesn't get the credit he deserves. Lousy head coach but an absolutely fabulous DC

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There are no challenges in OT (I believe)

Oh, you might be right.  Or maybe you have to save them from regulation?  I don't know the rule.  But I'm pretty sure the announcers (including Steratore iirc) were talking about it and they didn't mention "no challenges".  

• Upvote 1