Where The Jets Really Are - Accept The Realities.

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

2. The historically bad offense was absolutely a direct result of Rodgers going down.

More a direct result of there being no plan for if Rodgers did go down, paired with a lack of a strong OL. There was a week or 2 this season where more than half of the AFC teams had their starting QBs injured. This team shouldn't have to rely on one player that strongly.

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

3. The Jets have one of the best defenses in football.  This defense will be in tact for the 2024 season.  That is a reality.

It's a moot point if the offense can't score points, because the defense is built to be the best when with a lead.

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

4. The Jets have one of the best if not the best kicker and punter tandem in the league.  There was and will be a lot of hidden yardage in their favor just with those two legs. That is a reality.

I few weeks ago I would have laughed at this, saying only bad teams should have to rely on their punter and kicker, but that was before Harrison Butker kicked his team's way into the SB. This will be good.

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

5. The Jets offensive line play and manpower was awful.  Much of that was a pure manpower issue.  Much of it was related to the OB play and the inept job the OC did.

The OC issue is my most worrying issue for this season, unless JD doesn't pursue a competent backup QB. I don't know what it is, but something in me just doesn't trust Nathaniel Hackett and Robert Saleh trying to figure out what 'eligible receiver' means for 8 weeks.

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

6. Once there is an experienced QB under center, the line problems will improve. 

As shown in the first 4 snaps of the 2023 season, of course.

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

7. Rodgers is the de facto OC.  Once he is back, the play calling and line calls will do a complete 180. Does not matter if Hackett holds a clip board of his pecker. 

I can see that being a thing, but Rodgers does the best with players who can respond to change fast. That's why he historically didn't like playing with rookie WRs. He might be ready for the team, but is the team ready for him?

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

8. Lots of talk about the "40 year old" QB that breaks down.   Rodgers has never been injury prone.  After a catastrophic injury, we saw him nearly ready to play this season.  That does not look like a broken down player to me.  Looks like a motivated and tuff one.  The side show with Rodgers and that putz/schmuck/twit boy Jimmy Kimmel was exactly just that.  A side show.  Rodgers is not clown on the field.  He was just trolling a leftist media shill for the fun of it.  Rodgers wasn't harsh enough on that little pud-knocker for my liking.  

"injury prone" and "washed", at least for me, are not as big of worries as other problems on offense. I just don't think Rodgers, as great as he is, can turn this offense all the way around in one season.

17 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

9. Those saying JD is a total failure.  The 2022 draft may very well have been the best in Jets history.  That is a reality

This is true, but it's a bad practice to look at only successes and ignore failures. At some point JD is going to have to have a good draft and some good FA signings, because having more bad than good is the sign of a failure of a GM.

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

10. Those saying Saleh is a bad coach.  The defense has been the pearl of the team.  Saleh runs the defense.  That is a reality.  

That's great. Unfortunately for him, that's not his job. His job is to run the whole team. The product of that is 2 7-10 seasons straight.

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Look it all over and the logical summary is that the Jets were a QB away from being a winning team.

Going forward to the off-season

Rodgers will be back and 100 % next season and eager to show up his detractors.  

JD *knows*.... REALLY knows that he needs to bring in manpower for the line as well as a good back-up QB.

I wish this team was a QB away, but an offense that bad has more than one hole.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Been reading a lot of reactionary posts about how messed up the Jets are.  Also been hearing a lot of mud being thrown at the Jets by the sports media pundits.   Traumatized Jets fans and blovating media pundits should get a hold of reality.

Here is the reality.

1. The 2023 season saw the Jets field the worst NFL offense I have ever seen. That is a reality

2. The historically bad offense was absolutely a direct result of Rodgers going down.

3. The Jets have one of the best defenses in football.  This defense will be in tact for the 2024 season.  That is a reality.

4. The Jets have one of the best if not the best kicker and punter tandem in the league.  There was and will be a lot of hidden yardage in their favor just with those two legs. That is a reality.

5. The Jets offensive line play and manpower was awful.  Much of that was a pure manpower issue.  Much of it was related to the QB play and the inept job the OC did.

6. Once there is an experienced QB under center, the line problems will improve. 

7. Rodgers is the de facto OC.  Once he is back, the play calling and line calls will do a complete 180. Does not matter if Hackett holds a clip board or his pecker. 

8. Lots of talk about the "40 year old" QB that breaks down.   Rodgers has never been injury prone.  After a catastrophic injury, we saw him nearly ready to play this season.  That does not look like a broken down player to me.  Looks like a motivated and tuff one.  The side show with Rodgers and that putz/schmuck/twit boy Jimmy Kimmel was exactly just that.  A side show.  Rodgers is not clown on the field.  He was just trolling a leftist media shill for the fun of it.  Rodgers wasn't harsh enough on that little pud-knocker for my liking.  

9. Those saying JD is a total failure.  The 2022 draft may very well have been the best in Jets history.  That is a reality

10. Those saying Saleh is a bad coach.  The defense has been the pearl of the team.  Saleh runs the defense.  That is a reality.  

Look it all over and the logical summary is that the Jets were a QB away from being a winning team.

JD *knows*.... REALLY knows that he needs to bring in manpower for the line as well as a good back-up QB.

OMG you forgot the In Defense part in the title!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah dude people aren't injury prone until they get old and then they are 

welcome to the NFL 

Rodgers is fraudulent, overpaid, declining and will probably suffer another major injury this year. That is a reality. 

This is a projection, not a reality

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rodgers is fraudulent, overpaid, declining and will probably suffer another major injury this year. That is a reality.

Eh, that’s more of a projection than a reality. 

It might become reality, of course . . . 

49 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

FYI Saleh is the Head Coach and runs the entire team, not just the defense.  If he just wants to run the defense, then go take a D coordinator position somewhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I've been convincing myself that next year it's going to happen for half a century.  The Jets arent a good football team.  Rodgers would be a backup QB on the Packers next year and we gave them a premium pick for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I love that we did this all last offseason--someone would say "hmm, I think maybe a 39-year-old QB might be an injury risk," and a bunch of other people would scoff so hard they choked on their own spit--and then the guy's Achilles rolled up like a cheap curtain after four plays, and now we get to do it again

High Five Winter Olympics GIF by Team USA

The only, ONLY thing that gives me any optimism regarding Aaron Rodgers return is 1999-2000 Vinny Testaverde. I believe he was 37 when he tore HIS achilles, and he played into his 40's... and in the medical field and advancing treatments, that was a lifetime ago. Granted, when Vinny is 70, he'll probably be able to roll out of bed and throw the ball 65 yards, but Rodgers is a far higher level of QB talent than Vinny ever was imo.

So, thats it. Now, fix the frackin' O-Line.

And hope. 

The reality is the same this year as last year.

The NY Jets are 100% dependent on a 40 plus year old QB who was '90% retired' a year ago coming off his worst year as a pro other than his rookie year and then a full one year off due to injury to play at a pro bowl level and not get hurt again while having the very worst OC and offensive coaches in all of football.

The only plus this year is that fact that it was clearly shown that every single Rodgers hanger on we brought in was so utterly terrible that most of them will be gone or shuffled into the back ground and the GM might actually be able to get his job back.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The only, ONLY thing that gives me any optimism regarding Aaron Rodgers return is 1999-2000 Vinny Testaverde. I believe he was 37 when he tore HIS achilles, and he played into his 40's... and in the medical field and advancing treatments, that was a lifetime ago. Granted, when Vinny is 70, he'll probably be able to roll out of bed and throw the ball 65 yards, but Rodgers is a far higher level of QB talent than Vinny ever was imo.

And hope. 

Vinny is one of my all time favorite Jets but I still have to lay blame on him for Rodgers tearing his achilles by being in that stadium opening night.

Dumbass Woody and the rest of the kids at Florham Park better not have Vinny anywhere near RT 3 let alone the stadium for this years home opener.

2nd home game or later fine - but not the opener.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Saleh thinks the Same thing which is the problem 

Hes a head coach. He’s not here to make half the team good 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh thinks the Same thing which is the problem 

Hes a head coach. He’s not here to make half the team good 

I agree but I am not sure he is even a head coach in the term we are used to and in fact was not really hired to be. The Jets were very clear they wanted a CEO. The CEO role was to be that of the head coach, not the GM, director of operations etc.

Well Saleh is the protypical CEO of a large org. Delegate to his subordinates and trust their decisions. From the 3 years we have seen him, I really cant think of a time where he stepped in and took control from one of those subordinates except maybe outside of the defense. Yes Lafleur was let go but we honestly dont know if that came from Saleh.

The comparison I think of and it is the other extreme is Daboll. There is not one person who can look at that org and say he is not in charge of the entire coaching staff and not afraid to get involved in any facet. Now I might not care for the way he does it at times, but the image is clear.

Saleh to me is the ultimate delegator and focused more on the fluff items then down and dirty football.  Blame him and also blame Woody and the org cause that is what they wanted. 

38 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

And hope. 

The issue is that Vinny was NEVER the same after the Achilles injury. When he came back in 2000, he still had the big right arm and was still a prolific passer, but he was back to being an interception machine (threw 20 TDs and 25 INTs in 2000) and had even worse mobility than he did before.

The other issue is that Rodgers looked really gunshy in the 3 passes we saw him attempt (that’s really why he got hurt). Was he just nervous for his first drive or was his pronounced indecisiveness a sign of him being washed up? 

you are right, Rodgers is in another class compared to Vinny. I’m hopeful that being an all-time great and being hella motivated to prove doubters wrong will prove decisive in our favor, but we still need to see what he really looks like when he returns .  

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Arsis said:

We have to be the most delusional fanbases in sports history. Jets are a 500 team next year even with Rodgers.

Nope we will win one game over .500 because that is likely just enough to have Woody extend Tweedle Dee and Tweedle fat!  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nope we will win one game over .500 because that is likely just enough to have Woody extend Tweedle Dee and Tweedle fat!  

I literally thought that right after I hit send. That's literally worst case scenario.

• Haha 1

Spot on, the reality is it’s all about injury luck for this team. An average year of injuries and the Jets will be in the playoffs with a chance to make a run. It’s crazy to me some teams had the same 5 OL for all 17 games. If we ever got that luck plus a full 17 of Rodgers, people really think this team wouldn't win 12+ games? Especially with a top defense that isn’t being burned out by Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Been reading a lot of reactionary posts about how messed up the Jets are.  Also been hearing a lot of mud being thrown at the Jets by the sports media pundits.   Traumatized Jets fans and blovating media pundits should get a hold of reality.

Here is the reality.

1. The 2023 season saw the Jets field the worst NFL offense I have ever seen. That is a reality

5. The Jets offensive line play and manpower was awful.  Much of that was a pure manpower issue.  Much of it was related to the QB play and the inept job the OC did.

7. Rodgers is the de facto OC.  Once he is back, the play calling and line calls will do a complete 180. Does not matter if Hackett holds a clip board or his pecker. 

Kicker and punter are free agents.  Saleh and Douglas have a losing record.  

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The reality is the same this year as last year.

The NY Jets are 100% dependent on a 40 plus year old QB who was '90% retired' a year ago coming off his worst year as a pro other than his rookie year and then a full one year off due to injury to play at a pro bowl level and not get hurt again while having the very worst OC and offensive coaches in all of football.

The only plus this year is that fact that it was clearly shown that every single Rodgers hanger on we brought in was so utterly terrible that most of them will be gone or shuffled into the back ground and the GM might actually be able to get his job back.

"The NY Jets are 100% dependent on a 40 plus year old QB who was '90% retired' a year ago coming off his worst year as a pro other than his rookie year and then a full one year off due to injury to play at a pro bowl level and not get hurt again while having the very worst OC and offensive coaches in all of football."

Theres a lot to unpack here. This is a lot more nuanced and complicated than you make it out to be. 

1. The NYJ are 100% dependent on Rodgers NOW. But they are also VERY likely to sign a quality backup this offseason. Its definitely one of their priorities. So lets wait and see.

2.  'who was '90% retired' a year ago coming off his worst year as a pro other than his rookie year' - technically true but a super distorted view. He was 90% retired but not because he could no longer play or was washed up or anything like that. Dude could still ball and put up numbers. Again, he was coming off his worst year since he was a rookie, but you are talking about one of the best QBs EVER lmfao. Even his worst season, playing with a bum thumb, he put up much better numbers than any QB the Jets had in years. Everybody made a point when we first got him that had he played his worst season as Jet last year we would have made the playoffs EASY and not fallen apart down the stretch with Mike White and Zach Wilson. 

3. He doesn't have to play at a Pro Bowl level to take this team to the playoffs and make some noise, give the Jets a chance to get to the big game. It would def, help. But he doesn't. 3 QBs in the AFC are named to the Pro Bowl (other than backups). If Rodgers is not one of them, it does not mean he cannot take the Jets deep into the playoffs. It happens every year. Goff and to a lesser degree Baker did it just this year. Neither guys were Pro Bowlers. 

4. Hackett was the worst OC without Rodgers. Hackett was brought in to allow Rodgers to run the offense. Rodgers is the de facto OC. How is this not clear. I'm not saying Rodgers will fix everything on the offense. The o-line still has to block, receivers still have to get open. But Rodgers will completely change the way this offense is run. He will change what plays are run - literally, in the huddle, at the line. Hackett's biggest impact will be bringing in a system and QB/OC relationship where Rodgers can do this freely. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The good news is that we’re so close to cleaning house and drafting another qb.  Yea.  

You hear the reports that at least 10 teams looking to trade up to get a QB because next years qb class sucks?

Thats the jets always a year late and a $ short 

30 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Hackett was the worst OC without Rodgers. Hackett was brought in to allow Rodgers to run the offense. Rodgers is the de facto OC.

Hackett is the dumbest most worthless coach in the entire league 

Rodgers is the defacto gm too 

It's no way to run a professional franchise 

• Post of the Week 1