NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If the 2040 salt lake expansion franchise offers a 7th round pick do the jets have to agree? How does Wilson have this type of leverage?

This just allows him to speak with other teams, right?  Which is likely something other teams would like to do before trading for him.  This essentially allows Zach's camp to do the legwork in finding a trade partner for the Jets to get their bag of chips, instead of making a bunch of phone calls themselves.

Not only is this saving time and effort for the Jets, but it does the "right thing" for Zach as well so he can search for a good spot for his career as well.

If Zach find a team willing to give a pick for him, say a 6th, if another team calls the Jets offering a 5th, he would end up going to the team offering a 5th regardless of what Zach's camp has to say about it.  

5 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Needing three starting OL going into their “win or get fired” season is so funny for a guy that’s been here 4 years and stated offensive line would be a huge priority.

At least his intentions were pure though.

He failed massively to build an offensive line the first time around. Not sure why he’s getting a second chance other than the Rodgers injury bought him an extra year. It’s insane. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do these 2 statements comport with one other?

"Joe Douglas said they haven’t made a choice on where AVT will play yet but once they make that choice he won’t move and will stick there

"mentioned it provides them flexibility with his ability to play 4 spots"

Translation:  “We have every intention of sticking AVT in one spot provided he and all 4 of his OL teammates stay healthy and effective all 17 games”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Translation:  “We have every intention of sticking AVT in one spot provided he and all 4 of his OL teammates stay healthy and effective all 17 games”

LMAO!  This franchise is a never-ending fountain of comedy!

• Upvote 3

"Joe Douglas said they haven’t made a choice on where AVT will play yet but once they make that choice he won’t move and will stick there

Gives them more flexibility in FA and the draft. See how things play out in March and April and then decide where to play him.
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I do believe they will take a QB.  In my heart of hearts, do I see it happening in the 1st?  No.

If Maye, Penix, McCarthy, or someone intriguing falls to the 2nd or 3rd?  We’re cooking with something there.

More likely?  4th-5th round.  I firmly have my eyes planted there.  Keep an eye on Jordan Travis, Bo Nix (if he drops, I think he will DROP) and Michael Pratt.  I’d like to see Spencer Rattler on this list too (2 years ago I would laugh at myself for saying that), but I don’t see that happening.

Wildcard?  A trade for Sam Howell.

Sam Howell would be my priority for a value pick.  5th or 6th rounder.  Would Washington let him go for that.

I wanted Davis Mills last year, and he should be in that value pick range.

I'd rather go with a young guy with some actual NFL experience, and some level of success in the NFL than a unknown.

20 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet why would washington do that deal?  Good backups are hard to find, so why would a team throw one away for a 4th rounder?  

I think after all the qb injuries, backup qbs are going to be harder to find that ever, but i hope I’m wrong

I don't think Howell will come cheap.  There could be a bidding war for him as it is.

If he could be had for a value pick, the Jets better be all over it.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because that's been "news" for over a month.  Its not a breaking story.

It's not? JD just said to the press that he gave permission to Zach's agent to find a trade partner. In layman's terms, Zach won't be a part of the Jets next year. That is by definition breaking news. I have endured countless amount of stupid threads about Zach including an open letter to him. A thread about him being in Utah, like that is a real place. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, hawk said:

I don't think Howell will come cheap.  There could be a bidding war for him as it is.

Did someone say…..bidding war???

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

@TuscanyTile2 @TuscanyTile2 @TuscanyTile2 @TuscanyTile2 @TuscanyTile2 

• Haha 1

Based on JD's comment of AVT's flexibility I suspect the team is looking to transition him to RT full time, which probably makes the most sense considering there is a good amount of GUARD options in this free agency. I think that they:

• Move AVT to RT
  • Sign 2 mid-level guards who can start and cost basically around what Laken was making
  • Sign / Trade for a Bakhtiari, Tyron Smith, Cam Robinson to short-term deals and draft the eventual LT replacement
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Based on JD's comment of AVT's flexibility I suspect the team is looking to transition him to RT full time, which probably makes the most sense considering there is a good amount of GUARD options in this free agency. I think that they:

• Move AVT to RT
  • Sign 2 mid-level guards who can start and cost basically around what Laken was making
  • Sign / Trade for a Bakhtiari, Tyron Smith, Cam Robinson to short-term deals and draft the eventual LT replacement

So if they take a LT in round 1, or if they take fuaga with the intent of moving him to LT, where does he play week 1?

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don’t see a conflict - he’s saying that they have the flexibility to make AVT either a permanent tackle (what Saleh was talking about last year) or a permanent guard. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s actually insufferable.

”Aaron Rodgers is 40 years old coming off an Achilles tear, the Jets need to keep the future in mind”

*Jets schedule a meeting with the best QB prospect in the entire class to do their due diligence*

“Why are the Jets wasting their precious time?”

I think you're being willfully obtuse here my friend.

The issue, is this:

Fact:  Saleh and JD are in the final year of their contract, have never produced a winning season, and must win and make the playoffs in order to save their jobs in 2024.

1. There is only a VERY small chance (borderline no chance) than Caleb Williams falls to the #10 pick.

2. There is equally only a very small chance (again, borderline no chance) that in this specific moment in time (Rodgers, lame ducks, must win now of the lot get fired) that JD of all people is going to pick a QB at #10, no matter who it is.

3. There is presumably no chance whatsoever, in this specific moment in Jets time, that JD is going to sell the farm to trade up to pick #1/#2/#3 in order to draft yet another USC QB.  I mean, come on, lets be serious here.

4. The idea of drafting a QB at #10 in a must-win lame-duck year with AARON "I REALLY HATE IT AND GET ANGRY WHEN MY TEAM DRAFTS MY REPLACEMENT" RODGERS as our starting QB is just daft.  JD went all in on Rodgers, crippling us cap-wise for several years at QB.  Pissing off that very QB now in what may be his only year to try and win (and save JD's job) would be, wow, so Jetsy.

5. Drafting any QB at #10 does nothing to help win now.  It runs counter to winning now, with our desperate needs at Oline, WR, and elsewhere.  It's very hard to see JD screwing himself selflessly for the "future" of a franchise he wouldn't himself then be employed for.

6. If I had to wager, most of the folks objecting aren't themselves against drafting a QB (I'm certainly not!), but they object to wasting time on QB's where there is no plan to actually draft that one, or do what it would take to get a chance to draft that one.

There is nothing whatsoever "insufferable" about pointing this all out.  Nor is it hypocritical to say "I wish we could draft a QB" and laughing at the wasted time of this news knowing the above factors.

Don't worry JD, we definitely SEE you running those proverbial stairs, and we're all very impressed with your time-wasting due diligence. 

Now stop leaking who you plan to interview at QB, and start actually interviewing the O-linemen or WR's you ACTUALLY might draft at #10.  Unless, of course, there is yet another can't miss "bendy" Edge you simply must have, lol.....

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you're being willfully obtuse here my friend.

The issue, is this:

Fact:  Saleh and JD are in the final year of their contract, have never produced a winning season, and must win and make the playoffs in order to save their jobs in 2024.

1. There is only a VERY small chance (borderline no chance) than Caleb Williams falls to the #10 pick.

2. There is equally only a very small chance (again, borderline no chance) that in this specific moment in time (Rodgers, lame ducks, must win now of the lot get fired) that JD of all people is going to pick a QB at #10, no matter who it is.

3. There is presumably no chance whatsoever, in this specific moment in Jets time, that JD is going to sell the farm to trade up to pick #1/#2/#3 in order to draft yet another USC QB.  I mean, come on, lets be serious here.

4. The idea of drafting a QB at #10 in a must-win lame-duck year with AARON "I REALLY HATE IT AND GET ANGRY WHEN MY TEAM DRAFTS MY REPLACEMENT" RODGERS as our starting QB is just daft.  JD went all in on Rodgers, crippling us cap-wise for several years at QB.  Pissing off that very QB now in what may be his only year to try and win (and save JD's job) would be, wow, so Jetsy.

5. Drafting any QB at #10 does nothing to help win now.  It runs counter to winning now, with our desperate needs at Oline, WR, and elsewhere.  It's very hard to see JD screwing himself selflessly for the "future" of a franchise he wouldn't himself then be employed for.

6. If I had to wager, most of the folks objecting aren't themselves against drafting a QB (I'm certainly not!), but they object to wasting time on QB's where there is no plan to actually draft that one, or do what it would take to get a chance to draft that one.

There is nothing whatsoever "insufferable" about pointing this all out.  Nor is it hypocritical to say "I wish we could draft a QB" and laughing at the wasted time of this news knowing the above factors.

Don't worry JD, we definitely SEE you running those proverbial stairs, and we're all very impressed with your time-wasting due diligence. 

Now stop leaking who you plan to interview at QB, and start actually interviewing the O-linemen or WR's you ACTUALLY might draft at #10.  Unless, of course, there is yet another can't miss "bendy" Edge you simply must have, lol.....

It’s also a joke they’re meeting with anyone on defense who’s projected in round 1.  The whole league knows they’re going OL and that there’s going to be guys who are there at 10, 12, 14 and 20 to take.  If douglas thinks it’s due diligence, great.  

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s also a joke they’re meeting with anyone on defense who’s projected in round 1.  The whole league knows they’re going OL and that there’s going to be guys who are there at 10, 12, 14 and 20 to take.  If douglas thinks it’s due diligence, great.  

Teams do this all the time. Regardless of their intentions. To have down the road if they get cut, become available for trade, etc. 

7 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Teams do this all the time. Regardless of their intentions. To have down the road if they get cut, become available for trade, etc. 

i am aware, but unlike in other years when the jets could take any position, it’s OL in round 1 so these meeting with other top players are for other reasons

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

It's not? JD just said to the press that he gave permission to Zach's agent to find a trade partner. In layman's terms, Zach won't be a part of the Jets next year. That is by definition breaking news. I have endured countless amount of stupid threads about Zach including an open letter to him. A thread about him being in Utah, like that is a real place. 

I specifically remember a thread in mid-January about how Zach was either "expected" to be given permission to seek a trade or it had already been granted. 

Am I taking crazy pills here?  I could have sworn this was old news, and it is only notable now because JD himself confirmed it in the press conference?

@Claymation This is the kind of stuff I was thinking of.  It's been brewing for weeks so I don't see it as big news now:

Repeating the pattern, the Jets are expected to trade Wilson in the coming weeks as they look to upgrade the QB2 position behind Aaron Rodgers. There's a "high probability" of that happening, general manager Joe Douglas said recently

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

So if they take a LT in round 1, or if they take fuaga with the intent of moving him to LT, where does he play week 1?

Who caaaares. Joking, I think their intention is to move AVT to RT however subject to change depending on how free agency and more directly how the draft goes.

In this scenario, let's say they go Fuaga or another RT. They might bring them along slowly behind AVT or the LT. I think the team loves AVT but understands that once he is set to hit the market his agent will be looking for OT $$$ and some team will give that to AVT. 

If the Jets can sign a guard or two + a serviceable LT in free agency I am starting to think that trade down, LT, WR, TE (Bowers) will be the play at 10 and they won't consider Fuaga or Latham at 10 if they are exclusively RTs.

All conjecture on my part but I thought it was very telling that Douglas specifically mentioned AVTs flexibility.

45 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

think their intention is to move AVT to RT

Besides the fact that avt got hurt at RT he's got 32 inch arms 

He can be an emergency ot but he's not really a rt 

They should just move him back to LG where he was playing well and developing 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes, but why the f**k is that obvious to everyone except the coaching staff?

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't really disagree but I just think moving him to RT is the route that they're going to go.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't really disagree but I just think moving him to RT is the route that they're going to go.

I think it’s all still up in the air, depending on what they can do in FA, and then who they draft.  Douglas may be saying they don’t want to move AVT around but as soon as there’s an injury AVT is going to fill that spot.  I can also see them trading back and taking fautana to have even more flexibility.  

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Move AVT to RT

AVT's position will be decided last. Once they add free agents and draft - then they can decide what's left and where to put him since he can basically play anywhere along the OL.