What happens if…

What happens if 10-7 Jets get bounced in Wild Card round?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What happens if 10-7 Jets get bounced in Wild Card round?

• Saleh and Douglas both fired
    • Douglas extended, Saleh fired
    • Douglas and Saleh both extended
    • Depends entirely on Aaron Rodgers — how he plays and what he wants

Curious what the board thinks happens in the following scenario:

2024 Jets go 10-7 and make the playoffs. Wild Card. Lose Wild Card weekend in a competitive game to a 2 or 3 seed (think Bills, Bengals, Ravens type team)

Rodgers stays healthy and plays at a reasonably high (but not MVP) level 

They both likely get extended, regardless of whether it's the right call / truly deserved.

The only exception is if they were to go out and have an Eagles-like season, starting off hot before completely tanking at the end of regular season and into the playoffs.  That could be enough to still cost people jobs, as fans and media alike would be deservedly trashing this team to end the year.

• Upvote 3

Extensions.

Last year was incredibly frustrating.

But the roster, outside of the offensive line (as of now, before FA and the draft), is good. 

The hate for Saleh + JD is overblown. Not say it isn't warranted in some respects (JD your offensive line picks have been terrible, and when things are bad, the "positivity" coach looks like an idiot), but outside of the Harbaugh hire or the potential dice-roll on someone like Ben Johnson, I'd rather not be the teams hiring Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris or even the Baltimore D Coordinator. 

Let's see how things go down this year and reassess. 

• Upvote 4

JD and Saleh would both get extensions in this scenario. Rodgers would be back for 1-2 more seasons - the team would continue moving forward and feel comfortable to start executing on finding a longer term plan at QB 

• Upvote 1

Saleh wouldn’t be the first coach to be launched after making the playoffs.  As I see it, the consensus is that last seasons team should’ve won more games in spite of the injuries so saleh really needs to show more than a three game improvement.  Plus a lot of the issues are related to salehs coaching ( or lack thereof on the offensive side).  He does seem to ahave a short fuse and dumps players if they disagree with his coaching or coaches.

Saleh wouldn’t be the first coach to be launched after making the playoffs.  As I see it, the consensus is that last seasons team should’ve won more games in spite of the injuries so saleh really needs to show more than a three game improvement.  Plus a lot of the issues are related to salehs coaching ( or lack thereof on the offensive side).  He does seem to ahave a short fuse and dumps players if they disagree with his coaching or coaches.
It what world is 7 wins bad with Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle and Trevor Seimian? I find it miraculous.
  • Upvote 2

Depends what Douglas does this offseason, how the team gets there, and subsequently what the roster and assets look like heading into the following season.

Does it seem like they’re trending up from there or did they go all in to land way short of their goal? I would guess the latter but there’s probably a(n admittedly unlikely) scenario where they hit on a bunch of draft picks and are looking good headed to the following season and it’d be reasonable to continue to employ those guys.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers costs Woody another $35mm next season with like a $60mm cap hit.  

Rodgers is only getting older.  He has to win at least one playoff game to return in 2025, and unless he returns, JD and Saleh are launched into space.  I don’t think Woody will hire better than them.  

• Upvote 1

They should be fired. Taking 5 years and selling the entire farm to become the 7th best team in the AFC should be the end of this current regime.

But, given our expectations these days, I’ve no doubt that getting one year of being a slightly-above-average team will be enough to secure everyone a nice 4 year extension, so we can go back to being atrocious as soon as possible. We’ll then go 6-11 in Aaron’s final year (he got injured, so it’s not JD or RS’s fault), 2-15 the next year (we’re tanking, so it’s allowed), then 4-13 (new QB, we’ve got to give him time), 5-13 (o-line injuries, what can you do?) and Jesus Christ they’re going to be here forever. We’re stuck in this cycle of hell for the rest of our lives.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Pepster said:

They should be fired. Taking 5 years and selling the entire farm to become the 7th best team in the AFC should be the end of this current regime.

But, given our expectations these days, I’ve no doubt that getting one year of being a slightly-above-average team will be enough to secure everyone a nice 4 year extension, so we can go back to being atrocious as soon as possible. We’ll then go 6-11 in Aaron’s final year (he got injured, so it’s not JD or RS’s fault), 2-15 the next year (we’re tanking, so it’s allowed), then 4-13 (new QB, we’ve got to give him time), 5-13 (o-line injuries, what can you do?) and Jesus Christ they’re going to be here forever. We’re stuck in this cycle of hell for the rest of our lives.

Come on, why so gloomy? You’re acting like this will go on for 14 years… that could never happen.

The jets have a 1 year window to make it happen.  Life after AR we will return to QB hell. Hopefully the football gods get us our Lombardi in 2025 which we will gladly deal with the consequences of re-signing Saleh. But after that we are doomed when it's time to draft ot sign the next qb. 

We're such a loser Franchise now that 10-7 and Whitewashed in the playoffs would be seen as a success.

Rodgers may flop, but the reality is we've invested the next few seasons on "Win Now" in 2024. We should by minimum make the Wild Card Weekend. I fully expect a close call and us to go 8-9 and miss out and it to be considered "progress".

Sad state of affairs.