Q.Jefferson to the Browns

Makes sense that we let him go given who we signed on d-line already

Browns agreed to terms with DE Quinton Jefferson, formerly of the Jets, on a one-year contract.
Jefferson totaled 34 tackles and six sacks in his lone season with the Jets. the former fifth-round pick has played four four different teams over the last four years, and will now join a fifth team in the Browns. Jefferson earned a PFF pass rush grade of 73.2 last season and will likely serve as a rotational player next season.

8 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

So we lost two of our best pass rushers?  Great job JD. 

True. But I read a stat in an article talking about him leaving where it said (I think) that while he had 6 sacks, the line's pressure rate dropped significantly when he was on the field (vs when he wasn't). I'll try to find it again

(Edit) It wasn't pressure rate as I said originally, it was passer rating vs us:

There was one alarming trend with Jefferson: Despite his sack production, the Jets allowed a 108.4 passer rating when he was on the field, compared to a 55.6 mark when he wasn't in the game, according to Next Gen Stats. That's by far the biggest discrepancy among the team's defensive linemen.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

True. But I read a stat in an article talking about him leaving where it said (I think) that while he had 6 sacks, the line's pressure rate dropped significantly when he was on the field (vs when he wasn't). I'll try to find it again

(Edit) It wasn't pressure rate as I said originally, it was passer rating vs us:

There was one alarming trend with Jefferson: Despite his sack production, the Jets allowed a 108.4 passer rating when he was on the field, compared to a 55.6 mark when he wasn't in the game, according to Next Gen Stats. That's by far the biggest discrepancy among the team's defensive linemen.

So he was all or nothing?  6 plays where he got it done and 100 where he added nothing?

Guess there’s a reason why he’s been with 4 different teams over 4 seasons

7 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

So we lost two of our best pass rushers?  Great job JD. 

You seriously think that Jefferson is a loss because of his pass rush?  He was a solid player that got hurt.  I think they expect Kinlaw to make up for that loss and to free up Quinnen a bit more.  This front office deserves a lot of criticism, but I think they deserve some slack for the moves on the defensive side.  I remember how we were going to be doomed last year because we let Kwon Alexander walk.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You seriously think that Jefferson is a loss because of his pass rush?  He was a solid player that got hurt.  I think they expect Kinlaw to make up for that loss and to free up Quinnen a bit more.  This front office deserves a lot of criticism, but I think they deserve some slack for the moves on the defensive side.  I remember how we were going to be doomed last year because we let Kwon Alexander walk.  

Think the guy we got from the Cardinals, lufu? , is a very good and under the radar move.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So he was all or nothing?  6 plays where he got it done and 100 where he added nothing?

Guess there’s a reason why he’s been with 4 different teams over 4 seasons

Not necessarily.  It might be that he was on the field on running downs when the passer rating would be more likely to be higher.  Or that he didn't require double teams which meant he got free more often but others - the ends, Quinnen, were less likely to get pressure.  Could be a bunch of things, but I think Kinlaw is considerably bigger and might be a better compliment to kicking JFM inside.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets paid a premium to lure Kinlaw away from SF. 

That tells me Saleh really wanted him. I trust Saleh on the DL stuff. A lot of people (myself included) made fun of him for talking up Solomon Thomas and he ended up playing pretty well for us. 

Jefferson was good for us and I wish him well, but I'm ok with this

As a rotational defender, Kinlaw would play the third-most interior defensive line snaps on the 49ers, behind only Javon Hargrave and Arik Armstead. His 35 pressures were the fifth-most on the team and league-wide. Kinlaw ranked 38th out of 129 interior defenders in PFF’s pass-rush win-rate metric.

Two factors in particular were crucial in Kinlaw having a bounce-back season in 2023: for one, he was healthy throughout the offseason and better prepared, and two, was becoming much more consistent.

“I think the number one thing with him is he’s healthy, unlike he’s been in the past,” said former defensive coordinator Steve Wilks in December. “And then there’s one word that you’re alluding to, which is he’s playing consistent. He’s really been consistent these last couple of weeks.

“I love the way he’s playing with lower pad level. Really as we talk about all the time, trying to create a new line of scrimmage, playing on their side of the ball. Everything we do is about penetration and you can see that with him.”

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Replacing Jefferson with Kinlaw makes zero sense.

I can hear Saleh now, "Skies the limit for K-Law. He still a work in progress, and we feel he can take a next step and be a solid rotational player for us in the trenches. We're gonna miss Jefferson, but man am I smiling from ear to ear since I got word K-Law was coming."

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not necessarily.  It might be that he was on the field on running downs when the passer rating would be more likely to be higher.  Or that he didn't require double teams which meant he got free more often but others - the ends, Quinnen, were less likely to get pressure.  Could be a bunch of things, but I think Kinlaw is considerably bigger and might be a better compliment to kicking JFM inside.

Good points. Could be a case where stats don't tell the whole picture (re: the drop/rise in passer rating)

54 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Replacing Jefferson with Kinlaw makes zero sense.

Zero sense?  Jefferson is about to turn 31 and coming off a hip injury that ended his season.  This is a guy that has hip and foot injuries over multiple seasons.  It might be chronic.  Kinlaw is not exactly an iron man but he is only 26.  Getting younger, bigger and faster might be a risk, but "zero sense" only makes sense to fit your usual hyperbole.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Careful...A whole bunch of SOJF think JD should be fired because we let him walk.

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

That is a crazy stat. Not sure he can be blamed for it but damn those numbers are big.

• Upvote 2