Washington Commanders taking calls to trade out of #2 spot

3 hours ago, slats said:

Washington already has two second rounders and three thirds in this draft. Really not sure what they’d be trading down for but, if they made a deal with the Vikings and their #11 pick, they would have plenty of ammo to slide back up for QB #4 if that’s what they want. Any such trade would undoubtedly include a 2025 #1, too. 

I’m thinking due diligence, though. If other teams are making offers, it makes sense to listen. 

If they have guys like Daniels/Maye ranked close to McCarthy, Nix, Penis They can trade down a bit for a 2025 1st + and then use the 2024 2nd and 3rds to trade back up into the 1st and still grab a QB.

I doubt Washington is that smart and creative though.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

After the Jets drafted Zach Wilson with the #2 pick a few years ago, I can certainly understand why the Commanders want out of that spot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'd be interested in trading into the top 5 to top 10 of the 2nd round and get Michael Penix Jr. Or trade back from 10, get a lower 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick to get your future quarterback. You can stash him on the bench and let him learn from Aaron Carr and Tyrod Taylor. 

If the Jets or any team for that matter plans on taking Penix or any QB early in the 2nd round you have to do what the Ravens did with Lamar trade up to 31-32 of the first round so you have the 5th year option and control of the player for minimum of 7 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

If they have guys like Daniels/Maye ranked close to McCarthy, Nix, Penis They can trade down a bit for a 2025 1st + and then use the 2024 2nd and 3rds to trade back up into the 1st and still grab a QB.

Yes this is the way for Washington.  Trade the #2 for #11, #23, and next years 1st.

Then Trade 11, and 23 for the 5th pick.

This obviously if they like JJ.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well if they turn down such an offer, in effect they are sacrificing multiple 1st rounders for a QB prospect.

It's not quite the same, because they still have their future 1st rounders even without the trade down, but yes they would be trading away the opportunity to acquire still more 1st rounders for whichever QB they'd otherwise take at #2.

At some point they have to turn the picks into players, though, and not just more picks. 

Yea ok. So if it turns out they trade the next best thing since Stroud, their fans will be screaming for the GM to be sent to Antartica in boxer shorts. If you have your guy sitting there at #2, you take him (Do Not Factor in the JD Effect) (Damn those BS Pro Days).

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, derp said:

This checks out. The hit rate at #2 (even counting the last draft) is outstanding, it’s not like they’d have the three first rounders at their disposal if they need them, and teams haven’t been able to move up and draft three of the absolute best quarterbacks in the NFL coming off seasons with winning records (playoffs in two of the cases) so you clearly need to be picking that high to get a franchise guy.

Please send this to @Sperm Edwards. Thank you for your service.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

That ownership group is going to let Kliff Kingsbury talk them into Jayden Daniels over Maye. The Pats will probably pick Maye because Kraft is near death, but they should trade down because Belichick left that roster a barren wasteland and Jacoby Brissett for a year isn’t a bad option if they can get a passel of picks for #3. I think the Giants are going to try very hard to get into the top four. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They can’t do it because the cap implications would be untenable, but it’d be fun if Harbaugh decided to trade Justin Herbert to, say, the Giants or Pats for three ones or something. It’d set up the Chargers with all kinds of assets for the rebuild, while Harbaugh gets his boy JJ McCarthy on a rookie deal. 

You been hanging with Aaron in caves doing the Ayahuasca?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, doitny said:

look what happen to us. Wilson and everyone behind him was a bust. they probably think the same thing will happen to them if they take one of the top QBs.

Look at ethe 49'ers. They sent like 12 1st rounders to get Trey lance. It goes both ways.  You stay put and take the Heisman winner. In fact, if I'm the Bears, I take Daniels. Caleb has prima donna warnnig signs all over him.  Players/teammates hate that sheet.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

If the Jets would've traded down with the Eagles and drafted Justin Fields back in the 2021 NFL Draft, we would've looked like geniuses with how that draft turned out. Personally, after watching guys like Lawrence, Wilson, Darnold, Lance, Mayfield, etc. fail to live up to the hype and their draft position, I think it's way better to just play the field and take one of the other top-rated qbs. Would anyone be surprised if Maye or Daniels busted, and a guy like Nix, McCarthy, or Penix ended up as a better qb?  

I'd be suprised. Daniles and maye are going to be very good QB's. They have a good understanding of NFL type systems.  Look at how teribly Wilson was at QB.  HE had no idea how to navigate through progressions or have a feel for the pocket.  Was a romatintic pick by JD and had no proof to back up the pick.  Daniels had an outrageous collegiate career against hih quality competition.  He is light years better than McCarthy who wasnt asked to do much in Michigan. The defense won that championship. He nearly blew it actually. He's a very average QB and has nowhere the skill set Daniels has. I'd take Nix way way above McCarthy.  Also Penix for that matter.  Caleb is an athlete but he screams of being such a biatch, I'd pass on him and take Daniels.  As for 'watching' guys like Lawrence or Fields, Mayfield, Lance,Wilson - they are all very different typ of QB's. Fans here were ROOTING to lose games for a chance to get Lawrence who is still the premier QB in that list of yours and has the highest upside.  Fields was a big question mark and wasnt a top 5 pick and many teams were scared of him. I was higher on Fields than Wilson. A trade back would have been nice there even if Fields busted.  Fields still has a good chance at ressurecting his career. Wilson, Lance, not so much.   Mayfield has proven to be a good QB. he played well with the Browns. But theyre the Browns so they have zero patience. 

13 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

If thats their thinking, its just imbecilic. You dont get a chance to draft a faranchise QB every year, especially without having to sacrifice 3-4 1st rounders like the 49'ers did.  You take the QB and let him sit a couple years until you get an OL and a few weapons in place.

I remember hearing this argument to draft Zach Wilson. “when is the next time the Jets will be drafting in the top 3? If the opportunity is there you need to take it”

worked out well for us 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Is this the earliest appraisal we're seeing of Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye from pro scouts?  That teams would like to trade down?
Though possibly maybe the Commanders are thinking "there's enough QB depth in this draft to still get a good one, even if we trade down".  Then again, when it comes to QB, you want to get the best you can.
This is a total non-story. Washington are not looking to trade down; teams are contacting them to ask about trading up, and they're answering those calls.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

I remember hearing this argument to draft Zach Wilson. “when is the next time the Jets will be drafting in the top 3? If the opportunity is there you need to take it”

worked out well for us 

Comparing Zach Wilson to Daniel’s is like comparing your posts to @T0mShane or @Jetsfan80. I was never in on taking Zach Wilson. Way too many warning signs. Played in an inferior conference. Seemed to never be pressured by opposing teams. Didn’t have an elite college career.  Totally different scenario here. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That ownership group is going to let Kliff Kingsbury talk them into Jayden Daniels over Maye. The Pats will probably pick Maye because Kraft is near death, but they should trade down because Belichick left that roster a barren wasteland and Jacoby Brissett for a year isn’t a bad option if they can get a passel of picks for #3. I think the Giants are going to try very hard to get into the top four. 

From my perspective, I just want four QBs to go in the top 6. The Vikings look to be all in and are probably making offers to everyone in the top five. My preference would be that they jump ahead of the Giants with the Chargers -who would otherwise have to take a WR- and grab QB #4. But a deal like that won’t happen until the Chargers are on the clock. 

At #4, the Cards and lil’ MH seem to be in agreement. If they refuse to move, the Giants could try to swap picks with the Chargers allowing them to get their receiver anyway. That probably comes down to how much of a rebuild they’re doing in Harbaugh’s first year, and how he values the WR he’d take there vs. the value he places on the Vikes’ two #1s+, and how much the Giants would be willing to give for one spot. 

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Comparing Zach Wilson to Daniel’s is like comparing your posts to @T0mShane or @Jetsfan80. I was never in on taking Zach Wilson. Way too many warning signs. Played in an inferior conference. Seemed to never be pressured by opposing teams. Didn’t have an elite college career.  Totally different scenario here. 

A “totally different” scenario? I would have done literally anything but draft Zach Wilson, but the scenario doesn’t change based on your personal thoughts on said QBs lol

14 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

If thats their thinking, its just imbecilic. You dont get a chance to draft a faranchise QB every year, especially without having to sacrifice 3-4 1st rounders like the 49'ers did.  You take the QB and let him sit a couple years until you get an OL and a few weapons in place.

are they 1 QB away from a strong PO run_ you dont get a chance to grab 2 extra 1st round picks either.. QBs bust at a spectacular rate. mariota will give them a great chance to draft high next year

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Are we talking about the same Justin Fields that just lost his starting role in Chicago ? The same Justin Fields that is currently a backup in Pittsburgh? That Justin Fields? Or is there another super secret Justin Fields waiting to be unveiled?

The best luck the Justin ever encountered happened on the day the Steelers took a chance on him after realizing Russell W probably isn't the man and ... If all the planets align, they may be able to do what teams like Chicago and the Jets fail so miserably at. That is actually developing young flawed QBs.

The Steelers are a stable , steady football first operation.

The Jets would have failed w/ Fields the same way they failed with Darnold, Sanchez and Wilson .

I like Penix I'm Rnd 2 a LOT because of his accuracy down field. But the NYJ would never be able to develop.him. This organization needs Joe Montana to become Benjamin Button in order to identify a stud QB not needing development. After he win multiple Superbowls they may succeed with him. It's essentially why Rodgers is here.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I get why you think this way, but developing a QB isn't an organizational thing - it's more so just being lucky to suck when the QBs are good and also just plain dumb luck. How can it be organizational if the coaches and QB room is always different? How many great QBs have the Steelers really developed? They had a couple they fell in to that just happed to play for 15 years. They didn't develop a bunch of young guys, they mostly whiffed. The only difference is Bradshaw and Big Ben fell in to their laps. They have had two great QBs, we have had one.

As a teaching pro that develops top junior tennis players that go on to play in college, if I get hired by someone I immediately feel like I'll get the most out of that player because I know what I'm doing. All it takes is one good coach to be there. Right now, we have Arod - that is as good as it gets to develop a young QB. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

From my perspective, I just want four QBs to go in the top 6. The Vikings look to be all in and are probably making offers to everyone in the top five. My preference would be that they jump ahead of the Giants with the Chargers -who would otherwise have to take a WR- and grab QB #4. But a deal like that won’t happen until the Chargers are on the clock. 

At #4, the Cards and lil’ MH seem to be in agreement. If they refuse to move, the Giants could try to swap picks with the Chargers allowing them to get their receiver anyway. That probably comes down to how much of a rebuild they’re doing in Harbaugh’s first year, and how he values the WR he’d take there vs. the value he places on the Vikes’ two #1s+, and how much the Giants would be willing to give for one spot. 

Wouldn't it be better if three QBs went in the top 9? 

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

A “totally different” scenario? I would have done literally anything but draft Zach Wilson, but the scenario doesn’t change based on your personal thoughts on said QBs lol

Personal thoughts?  Hmm A Heisman winer compared to a Metrosexual who faced below aerage talent in college and had one decent year and was NEVER pressured and had like 12 secs to throw the ball.  This aint personal. It's business. 

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Personal thoughts?  Hmm A Heisman winer compared to a Metrosexual who faced below aerage talent in college and had one decent year and was NEVER pressured and had like 12 secs to throw the ball.  This aint personal. It's business. 

People still use that word? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think Maye is a much better prospect than folks have been giving him lately in the media etc.

I think Daniels will be the best of the bunch and then Maye. I think Caleb will bust hard. I hope the Pats pass on Maye. I think he’s going to be good.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Daniels = Justin Fields.  If he goes to the wrong team he will have a Bryce Young type year or anthony richardson type year.

I think Daniels has much better touch and is much more of a passer whereas Fields was a freak athlete who can throw hard.

Daniels should sit for a year though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think Daniels has much better touch and is much more of a passer whereas Fields was a freak athlete who can throw hard.

Daniels should sit for a year though.

Though, it’s tough to evaluate a qb who has 2 wrs who are going top 20 maybe top 15 in the draft.  I like maye, and i also like jj but I’m more in the minority.  Still think the jets are either taking bowers or trading back, and then going OL 

It's interesting to think of this from the opposite side.

Lets say you are Washington and you dislike all the QBs including the presumptive 4th one in the draft McCarthy. How anxious do you get about trading out? Do you just settle for the first viable offer? 

I do think teams get stuck in this trap and then select a QB they are not sure of just because they have the # 1,2 or 3 pick and desperately need a QB