Washington Commanders taking calls to trade out of #2 spot

I don’t understand why they would want to trade out? They have Marcus Mariota. Unless they would be trading just a few spots and still getting McCarthy, this would be the dumbest trade ever. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Wit said:

They must not love the QBs and they can push off worrying about this for another year. They need some players before the QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If thats their thinking, its just imbecilic. You dont get a chance to draft a faranchise QB every year, especially without having to sacrifice 3-4 1st rounders like the 49'ers did.  You take the QB and let him sit a couple years until you get an OL and a few weapons in place.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

If thats their thinking, its just imbecilic. You dont get a chance to draft a faranchise QB every year, especially without having to sacrifice 3-4 1st rounders like the 49'ers did.  You take the QB and let him sit a couple years until you get an OL and a few weapons in place.

sh*t just doesn't work like that.  Anyone taken 2nd overall won't sit for two years.  They probably wouldn't even sit for one full year.  Once whoever the stopgap is starts struggling, the chants will start.  The longer they hold off playing the new shiny toy, the louder that sh*t will get.  It's a great idea in theory but it would never happen.  At most you'll get a year, and that's if your stopgap plays well.  After that, that kid's gonna play.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

sh*t just doesn't work like that.  Anyone taken 2nd overall won't sit for two years.  They probably wouldn't even sit for one full year.  Once whoever the stopgap is starts struggling, the chants will start.  The longer they hold off playing the new shiny toy, the louder that sh*t will get.  It's a great idea in theory but it would never happen.  At most you'll get a year, and that's if your stopgap plays well.  After that, that kid's gonna play.  

Fine so have a seat for a year.

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

look what happen to us. Wilson and everyone behind him was a bust. they probably think the same thing will happen to them if they take one of the top QBs.

• Upvote 4

If the Jets would've traded down with the Eagles and drafted Justin Fields back in the 2021 NFL Draft, we would've looked like geniuses with how that draft turned out. Personally, after watching guys like Lawrence, Wilson, Darnold, Lance, Mayfield, etc. fail to live up to the hype and their draft position, I think it's way better to just play the field and take one of the other top-rated qbs. Would anyone be surprised if Maye or Daniels busted, and a guy like Nix, McCarthy, or Penix ended up as a better qb?  
Are we talking about the same Justin Fields that just lost his starting role in Chicago ? The same Justin Fields that is currently a backup in Pittsburgh? That Justin Fields? Or is there another super secret Justin Fields waiting to be unveiled?

The best luck the Justin ever encountered happened on the day the Steelers took a chance on him after realizing Russell W probably isn't the man and ... If all the planets align, they may be able to do what teams like Chicago and the Jets fail so miserably at. That is actually developing young flawed QBs.

The Steelers are a stable , steady football first operation.

The Jets would have failed w/ Fields the same way they failed with Darnold, Sanchez and Wilson .

I like Penix I'm Rnd 2 a LOT because of his accuracy down field. But the NYJ would never be able to develop.him. This organization needs Joe Montana to become Benjamin Button in order to identify a stud QB not needing development. After he win multiple Superbowls they may succeed with him. It's essentially why Rodgers is here.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

They aren't saying they are looking to trade out. They're saying that people have phoned them saying they're interested in trading up.

There's an article on NFL.com where this is mentioned by Dan Quinn. Non-story if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

They can’t do it because the cap implications would be untenable, but it’d be fun if Harbaugh decided to trade Justin Herbert to, say, the Giants or Pats for three ones or something. It’d set up the Chargers with all kinds of assets for the rebuild, while Harbaugh gets his boy JJ McCarthy on a rookie deal. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

If thats their thinking, it’s just imbecilic. You dont get a chance to draft a faranchise QB every year, especially without having to sacrifice 3-4 1st rounders like the 49'ers did.  You take the QB and let him sit a couple years until you get an OL and a few weapons in place.

This checks out. The hit rate at #2 (even counting the last draft) is outstanding, it’s not like they’d have the three first rounders at their disposal if they need them, and teams haven’t been able to move up and draft three of the absolute best quarterbacks in the NFL coming off seasons with winning records (playoffs in two of the cases) so you clearly need to be picking that high to get a franchise guy.

• Upvote 1

Is this the earliest appraisal we're seeing of Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye from pro scouts?  That teams would like to trade down?

Though possibly maybe the Commanders are thinking "there's enough QB depth in this draft to still get a good one, even if we trade down".  Then again, when it comes to QB, you want to get the best you can.

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Those are the exact reason why the jets need to take a qb too

The only reason we shouldn't though is that it sounds like at least 4 QBs will be off the board by the time we pick at 1.10.

• Upvote 1

Washington already has two second rounders and three thirds in this draft. Really not sure what they’d be trading down for but, if they made a deal with the Vikings and their #11 pick, they would have plenty of ammo to slide back up for QB #4 if that’s what they want. Any such trade would undoubtedly include a 2025 #1, too. 

I’m thinking due diligence, though. If other teams are making offers, it makes sense to listen. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

IF they are serious about trading out I’d say the Giants would be the favorite if it wasn’t the Redskins.

I’d give up the whole draft and next years 1st for Daniels.

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Well if they turn down such an offer, in effect they are sacrificing multiple 1st rounders for a QB prospect.

It's not quite the same, because they still have their future 1st rounders even without the trade down, but yes they would be trading away the opportunity to acquire still more 1st rounders for whichever QB they'd otherwise take at #2.

At some point they have to turn the picks into players, though, and not just more picks. 

• Upvote 1

Well there are good reason to do it.

The best way to build a team is build the team first and then add the QB

There are always QBs in every draft and often good ones that do not go top 3.

Build your team to near completion and then add a QB is far more successful than draft a QB with a poor team and watch him get his ass beat for three years as you try to build.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Still laughing 10 minutes later...

The thought of a giant sack outside the entrance to 1JD is priceless.

True, but the matching necklace Woody gets to match be even better! 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well there are good reason to do it.

The best way to build a team is build the team first and then add the QB

There are always QBs in every draft and often good ones that do not go top 3.

Build your team to near completion and then add a QB is far more successful than draft a QB with a poor team and watch him get his ass beat for three years as you try to build.

I'd be interested in trading into the top 5 to top 10 of the 2nd round and get Michael Penix Jr. Or trade back from 10, get a lower 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick to get your future quarterback. You can stash him on the bench and let him learn from Aaron Carr and Tyrod Taylor. 

• Upvote 1