Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I haven't seen us linked to him, which admittedly has me skeptical. My gut says our board is

Odunze

Bowers

Fuatanu

Fuaga

This is assuming MHJ, Alt, and Nabers aren't options.

I’ve been saying all along that I don’t think JD will pull the trigger on a TE at #10, and the fact that they haven't met with him at all suggests to me that they won’t. Has Douglas ever drafted a day one player that he hadn’t previously interviewed? 

I’m hoping it’s Odunze and then the OTs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was targeting the OT. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

I’ve been saying all along that I don’t think JD will pull the trigger on a TE at #10, and the fact that they haven't met with him at all suggests to me that they won’t. Has Douglas ever drafted a day one player that he hadn’t previously interviewed? 

I’m hoping it’s Odunze and then the OTs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was targeting the OT. 

Increasingly i agree, douglas hasn’t used a first rounder on a non premium position yet.  So if you buy into no bowers, then it’s one of the top 3 wrs, then OT is the only option left, unless you think qb is a possibility.  It’s offense, and not rb.  So if no Te either, it’s tackle or qb. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Jordan Reid ⁦‪@Jordan_Reid‬⁩

Sources: #Georgia TE Brock Bowers (hamstring) and OT Amarius Mims (hamstring) will not participate in Pro Day today, but both will have a separate workout for NFL teams on April 10th, source confirmed.

3/13/24, 9:04 AM

Guessing Jets will meet with him at or after the 10th.  Possible Top 30 visit for medical check  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jordan Reid ⁦‪@Jordan_Reid‬⁩

Sources: #Georgia TE Brock Bowers (hamstring) and OT Amarius Mims (hamstring) will not participate in Pro Day today, but both will have a separate workout for NFL teams on April 10th, source confirmed.

3/13/24, 9:04 AM

Guessing Jets will meet with him at or after the 10th.  Possible Top 30 visit for medical check  

A TE WITH a hammy issue?!? 

I’m out. Take him off the board. 

Next level smokescreen stuff from JD ... been setting it up for years.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Heh heh, just saw this 6'8" 352 Lb,  Zach Kuntz unicorn type guy that ran a 4.96 40 at his pro day that the Jets are hosting for maybe a late round pick... Interesting as he's huge and not fat but considered a raw FA type  who's gaining interest!

Tongan, Giovanni Manu

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/giovanni-manu-aaron-rodgers-protection/?adt_ei=[email]

Just now, Warfish said:

I keep hearing talk of the Jets and Brian Thomas Jr. of LSU (WR).  Mostly on the radio.

at #10, or after a trade back to lower 1st round?  If we trade down enough spots to get a decent 2nd rd pick, then I'd be ok with that pick.  But not at 10.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Someone trading up for Bowers would be amazing 

amazing, unlikely and stupid if it happens.  

JD should go through the 32 GM list and find that stupid one.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

amazing, unlikely and stupid if it happens.  

JD should go through the 32 GM list and find that stupid one.  

My prediction #1:  Bowers will be drafted somewhere between #15 and #25.

My prediction #2:  All 3 wide receivers will be gone before #10.

My prediction #3:  Jets will either draft a O tackle at #10, or trade down to pick up a 2nd round pick, which I believe JD would prefer.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Speaking of which: https://atozsports.com/college-football/colts-eyeing-first-round-trade-georgia-brock-bowers-2024-nfl-draft/

Indy moving up to 9 for Bowers would be absolutely fantastic

Their projected starting TE missed all of last season with hamstring issues. I think trading up for a TE who has yet to be able to work out due to hamstring issues makes a lot of sense for them. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was listening to Gannon and Murray on Sirius yesterday. They think Payton and Denver are the ones who have to be very bold and creative and trade up for a QB

Seems to happen at least once a draft. Should help. Joe Douglas should be shouting,” QB at 10 or bust!” As long as AR8 is ok with that level of deception. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was listening to Gannon and Murray on Sirius yesterday. They think Payton and Denver are the ones who have to be very bold and creative and trade up for a QB

Trading up to 10 for Penix seems smart for Denver...but jokes aside I think that Penix fits the Sean Payton scheme very well. It doesn't seem like McCarthy is going to drop low enough for Denver to trade up.

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trading up to 10 for Penix seems smart for Denver...but jokes aside I think that Penix fits the Sean Payton scheme very well. It doesn't seem like McCarthy is going to drop low enough for Denver to trade up.

I think both denver and LV are candidates to trade up for qbs.  A very fluid situation.

if the jets main priority is LT, they can sit tight and probably draft alt or fashanu and say we’re good at tackle now.  I really doubt the top 3 wrs are there at 10.  I agree with many here that they won’t touch bowers.  

I will start this again, but i would not rule out qb somehow.  I think there are scenarios where it’s on the table. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think both denver and LV are candidates to trade up for qbs.  A very fluid situation.

if the jets main priority is LT, they can sit tight and probably draft alt or fashanu and say we’re good at tackle now.  I really doubt the top 3 wrs are there at 10.  I agree with many here that they won’t touch bowers.  

I will start this again, but i would not rule out qb somehow.  I think there are scenarios where it’s on the table. 

• I don't think the top 3 WRs will be there either but if any of them are then they need to be the pick at 10
  • I really hope we can trade down (no further than 15) this draft is deep at OT + WR the first 3 rounds
  • I could see a narrow path to drafting a QB in the 1st if they have a guy rated high and he falls in their lap

I will say this....I'd say there was a 0% chance of drafting a QB a month or two ago until this whole VP Rodgers stuff came out.

I think Woody Johnson just made some comments about the whole Rodgers-VP situation (below) and there has to be an element that the organization is playing this year to year instead of a 2-3 year window like AR8 is proclaiming.

They see the circus, the imminence of injury and/or retirement....let's say they LOVE McCarthy and he falls to them I think there's a shot they take him or whoever it is and say "look we did enough in free agency, go win now Aaron."

During a Monday interview on Fox News, Jets owner Woody Johnson was asked about Rodgers and his interest in being a vice presidential candidate. Was this just a passing fancy? Does he still have eyes on a Super Bowl? Johnson says yes. 

"He is getting back to football 100%. He never left football," Johnson said, via ESPN. "That was a momentary distraction, maybe like going in the dark room or whatever. But he's back 100%. Great leader. … If we can keep him on his feet, which I think we can, it's going to be an exciting start to the season."

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Denver is in rebuild mode, they may take a QB in the 1st but they will not trade up for one.

Payton will think he can mold a later or mid pick.

According to Albert Breer, Payton wanted Mahomes, and wanted his team to move up to get him, they decided to stand pat. KC jumped NO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who is the GM, JD or AR8? 

Does JD have to check all his decisions and tactics with AR8 first?

He slides a piece of paper with a question under the door to a pitch black room I'm guessing. Then he waits. 

• Haha 1

I would be stunned if MIN traded up for  a second 1st round pick to *not* come away with a QB.  

I could see them, DEN, or LV trading up to 8 or 9.  But if they don't and Odunze is gone by 9, I could very much see one of them sliding up to 10 to either get ahead of MIN, or in MIN's case, to block the others.

Those just happen to be the three picks after ours, so sliding back wouldn't be much of a risk.  We would be guaranteed to come away with a solid OT whose name probably starts with an 'F' and could pick up a little more to work with in the later rounds - maybe swapping one of our 4ths for a 3rd or in the case of  LV, getting a 3rd outright of swapping a 4th for a 2nd.  

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:
  • I don't think the top 3 WRs will be there either but if any of them are then they need to be the pick at 10
  • I really hope we can trade down (no further than 15) this draft is deep at OT + WR the first 3 rounds
  • I could see a narrow path to drafting a QB in the 1st if they have a guy rated high and he falls in their lap

I will say this....I'd say there was a 0% chance of drafting a QB a month or two ago until this whole VP Rodgers stuff came out.

I think Woody Johnson just made some comments about the whole Rodgers-VP situation (below) and there has to be an element that the organization is playing this year to year instead of a 2-3 year window like AR8 is proclaiming.

They see the circus, the imminence of injury and/or retirement....let's say they LOVE McCarthy and he falls to them I think there's a shot they take him or whoever it is and say "look we did enough in free agency, go win now Aaron."

During a Monday interview on Fox News, Jets owner Woody Johnson was asked about Rodgers and his interest in being a vice presidential candidate. Was this just a passing fancy? Does he still have eyes on a Super Bowl? Johnson says yes. 

"He is getting back to football 100%. He never left football," Johnson said, via ESPN. "That was a momentary distraction, maybe like going in the dark room or whatever. But he's back 100%. Great leader. … If we can keep him on his feet, which I think we can, it's going to be an exciting start to the season."

I think rodgers and jd and saleh are all in this year but that’s nothing new.  The FA moves they’ve made say they’re ready to contend. 

What we don’t know are the actual conversations between rodgers and woody and jd.  Maybe rodgers said, look, this injury really is hard to come back from, i may only have 1 real year left.  So i would understand if you took a qb at some point.  

I think the two guys who the jets may take day 1/2 are mccarthy or nix.  I think a lot of the mccarthy hype is being generated artificially to get a team to trade up for him so someone else falls.  I also think there’s a chance we see 3 qb, 3 wr, and alt as the top 7, meaning a team like minny has only 2 more chances to get ahead of the jets.  And that’s even before denver or LV may angle in for a qb. 

Also think there’s a chance the jets trade back from 10, and then maybe stash nix somehow and then address OL/wr on day 2.  

Qb may not be the likely outcome - i think a guy like fashanu is more likely - but the jets brass surely realizes that rodgers and taylor may both be gone next year.  

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who is the GM, JD or AR8? 

Does JD have to check all his decisions and tactics with AR8 first?

Last year, JD clearly went above and beyond to welcome AR’s friends with open arms. One of the things I wanted to see this off season was a lot less of that, and so far so good. I’ve been happy to see none of Rodgers’ washed up buddies signing here this year.