Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

6 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think they take Rome in an instant over Bowers. SO much risk with Bowers. Then again JD did choose Becton over Wirfs, and MacDonald over a receiver.

I do too, but then again, i think there’s more than a 90% chance bowers is there at 10, but maybe 50% that rome is.  I do think it will come down to these two guys and then we go OT in round 3. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Everyone except you talking about WRs falling to 10 is crazy.  1st of all the Cardinals have invested a fortune in Murray and here is Murray's WR room: Michael Wilson, Chris moore, Zac Pascal, Dan Chisena, Daniel Arias and Kayden Davis. That's it.

And people here think they are not drafting the best WR on the board?  Too funny.   If harrison goes earlier, they will draft Nabors. If both gone they will draft Odunze. Everyone should take another look at that Arizona WR room. Now compare it to ours. They signed Jonah Williams and have Paris Campbell.  They are not drafting OT at 4. 

More importantly.  Everyone here has to stop the delusion that one of the top 3 WRs is falling to 10.  No.  It won't be happening.  I know, it's really disappointing. It seemed possible a month ago.  Not any more. Neither those 3 nor Alt will be at 10.  Either Douglas trades out of 10, drafts Fashanu or Bowers.  Anything else would be miraculous.  

Good miraculous or bad miraculous? 

13 hours ago, Dcat said:

Everyone except you talking about WRs falling to 10 is crazy.  1st of all the Cardinals have invested a fortune in Murray and here is Murray's WR room: Michael Wilson, Chris moore, Zac Pascal, Dan Chisena, Daniel Arias and Kayden Davis. That's it.

And people here think they are not drafting the best WR on the board?  Too funny.   If harrison goes earlier, they will draft Nabors. If both gone they will draft Odunze. Everyone should take another look at that Arizona WR room. Now compare it to ours. They signed Jonah Williams and have Paris Campbell.  They are not drafting OT at 4. 

More importantly.  Everyone here has to stop the delusion that one of the top 3 WRs is falling to 10.  No.  It won't be happening.  I know, it's really disappointing. It seemed possible a month ago.  Not any more. Neither those 3 nor Alt will be at 10.  Either Douglas trades out of 10, drafts Fashanu or Bowers.  Anything else would be miraculous.  

I think it's still possible, contingent on two things:

1) 4 QBs in the top 10

2) Chicago drafts D or OL at 9.

Both those things happen and your top 10 is: 4 QBs (Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy), 1OT (Alt to Tennessee), 2 WRs (Harrison and Nabors, most likely to AZ and SD/NYG), and Dallas Turner (to Atl), plus whoever Chicago takes. Yes, maybe Chicago takes Odunze at 9. But they also already have Keenan Allen and DJ Moore as their starting pair, plus two TEs they like (Kmet and Everett) - and a former 5th round pick who wasn't very good last year, Braxton Jones, as their starting LT. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them take Fashanu if they go offense

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think it's still possible, contingent on two things:

1) 4 QBs in the top 10

2) Chicago drafts D or OL at 9.

Both those things happen and your top 10 is: 4 QBs (Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy), 1OT (Alt to Tennessee), 2 WRs (Harrison and Nabors, most likely to AZ and SD/NYG), and Dallas Turner (to Atl), plus whoever Chicago takes. Yes, maybe Chicago takes Odunze at 9. But they also already have Keenan Allen and DJ Moore as their starting pair, plus two TEs they like (Kmet and Everett) - and a former 5th round pick who wasn't very good last year, Braxton Jones, as their starting LT. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them take Fashanu if they go offense

Interesting disconnect.  Almost EVERY site has CHI taking Odunze at 9.  

Yet on the various Bears forums, they seem to lean heavily towards Verse (DE) or an OT.  In fact, I could see them trading down a bit from there if that's their preference.  That's going to be a rough pick to wait out.  

• Upvote 2

On 3/27/2024 at 1:05 PM, Untouchable said:

If the Jets are really set on a wideout, I don’t know how you don’t call Atlanta and offer #10 and one of our 4th’s for #8.

The Jets secure Harrison/Nabers/Odunze and the Falcons get to pick up an extra 4th and still take a guy like Dallas Turner.

You seriously think a 4th rounder would be enough to get us from 1.10 to 1.8?! 

No chance!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You seriously think a 4th rounder would be enough to get us from 1.10 to 1.8?! 

No chance!

Agree, it wouldn't be. Would probably take both 4s to do it.

But our 3rd (#72) would do it as long as we got a 4th (and maybe a 5th) back as well.

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

I think they take Rome in an instant over Bowers. SO much risk with Bowers. Then again JD did choose Becton over Wirfs, and MacDonald over a receiver.

What risk exactly?

Are you lazily lumping Bowers alongside Kyle Pitts, Evan Engram, Noah Fant, etc. simply because they all play TE and were all picked in the first round?

Or is there some other "risk" that you're referring to?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting disconnect.  Almost EVERY site has CHI taking Odunze at 9.  

Yet on the various Bears forums, they seem to lean heavily towards Verse (DE) or an OT.  In fact, I could see them trading down a bit from there if that's their preference.  That's going to be a rough pick to wait out.  

The Bears have dj moore perhaps the most underrated player in the league and just traded for keenan allen.  Allen only has one year left on his deal but it seems to me trading for him now with no QB in place means they intend to try and keep him longer.

I'd be surprised if the Bears took a WR.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

What risk exactly?

Are you lazily lumping Bowers alongside Kyle Pitts, Evan Engram, Noah Fant, etc. simply because they all play TE and were all picked in the first round?

The risk is this:

We have the worst oc in the whole league and 40 year old set in his ways QB.

Bowers is a great player i like him and would have no issue with the jets drafting him but the risk is all in how he is used.  You cannot draft a guy like this and not make large changes to how you pay offense to accommodate his best talent.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Bears have dj moore perhaps the most underrated player in the league and just traded for keenan allen.  Allen only has one year left on his deal but it seems to me trading for him now with no QB in place means they intend to try and keep him longer.

I'd be surprised if the Bears took a WR.

I was reading bears will look to trade pick 9. I think all the Wr will be gone by pick 8 or 9.

Top 10 teams that need Wr. Arizona, LA Chargers, NYG, ATL

Top 10 who may need Wr Chi, Tenn, 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The risk is this:

We have the worst oc in the whole league and 40 year old set in his ways QB.

Bowers is a great player i like him and would have no issue with the jets drafting him but the risk is all in how he is used.  You cannot draft a guy like this and not make large changes to how you pay offense to accommodate his best talent.

OK, fine, but you don't hold an OC's ineptitude against the player in your evaluations. You draft great players and let the coaches figure it out. If that's how we define "risk," we'd never draft anyone at any offensive position. I have zero faith in Keith Carter, but that doesn't mean I'm not drafting a great OT at 10 if he's there. 

And using Bowers effectively is pretty simple. Just find a way to get the ball into his hands (bubble screens, slants, hooks, whatever). If anything, he idiot-proofs this offense and makes it simple and easy on the offensive line and QB. His greatest differentiator is what he does after the catch. The same "dunce" that it Nathaniel Hackett found a way to get a very average Tyler Conklin 61 catches with Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, and Trevor Semien playing QB. 

If he Hackett can do that with Conklin and three QB3's throwing the football, then what can he do with Aaron Rodgers and Brock Bowers?

Everyone is overthinking this IMO.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

What risk exactly?

Yeah, Johnny, what possible reason could you have for evaluating Bowers based on the historical results for first-round TEs?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

I was reading bears will look to trade pick 9. I think all the Wr will be gone by pick 8 or 9.

ATL is almost universally seen as going Defense at 8.

If JJM goes top-7, then that's 4 QBs and Alt, leaving only 2 WRs taken in that block.  That's how Odunze falls to 9.  I wouldn't mind trading up to secure him in that case (8 or 9 though, not higher).  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

ATL is almost universally seen as going Defense at 8.

If JJM goes top-7, then that's 4 QBs and Alt, leaving only 2 WRs taken in that block.  That's how Odunze falls to 9.  I wouldn't mind trading up to secure him in that case (8 or 9 though, not higher).  

A very plausible scenario.  The one thing that i can’t figure out is why the jets seem to be sniffing around guys like nix.  Are they legitimately interested?  They’re not taking him at 10.  Are there actually scenarios where they trade out of 10 and then consider qb?

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yeah, Johnny, what possible reason could you have for evaluating Bowers based on the historical results for first-round TEs?

If you think Bowers has anything in common with other first round TE busts who have come before him, then you have no idea who or what you're watching.

Bowers is to tight ends what Christian McCaffrey is to running backs, what Lamar Jackson is to QBs, and what Micah Parsons is to edge players.

You all lazily looking at TE before his name is clouding your evaluation. It's lazy and dumb.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I am now in the camp the the Jets need to trade up to grab a WR.  They can get an OL in the 3rd round and Bowers doesn't really fill a need per se. JD should be on the phone with every team that picks 4-8. 

why do they have to trade up to get a WR? This draft is loaded at WR. 

IMO, they are more likely to get a day 1 starter at WR with their 3rd round pick than they are a day 1 starter at OL. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

IMO, they are more likely to get a day 1 starter at WR with their 3rd round pick than they are a day 1 starter at OL. 

if there's one position to not trade up for it's wr.  they should trade back for wr and take one in the 2nd if they can, rather than burn draft capital and deal up.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

if there's one position to not trade up for it's wr.  they should trade back for wr and take one in the 2nd if they can, rather than burn draft capital and deal up.  

I agree completely 

25 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Atl? They have London, Mooney, Pitts and Bijon. I absolutely expect them to go defense and, when they do, Kirk Cousins will thank them. Giants are very involved with the QBs. Chargers or Tenn will take Alt. Bears could go either way, but they have Allen, Moore, and Kmet - I think defense is very much in play there, too. 

Wildcard is that the Vikings clearly need a QB, and have the ammo to move up. Saw a mock where the Vikes trade with the Giants, then the Jets take Bowers at 10 and the Giants get Odunze at 11. That won’t happen, imho. Giants will take the QB. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Because elite WR's don't grow on trees and for a GM who is on the hot seat and needs to win this year, hanging your hat on a 3rd round WR is not the way to go. The "cross your fingers and hope for the best" strategy the Jets have employed for years on WR's is not a winning strategy.  They are a sniff away from getting another impact WR at 10 and if they can move up a few slots without giving away too much draft capital, they need to pull the trigger imo.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Atl? They have London, Mooney, Pitts and Bijon. I absolutely expect them to go defense and, when they do, Kirk Cousins will thank them. Giants are very involved with the QBs. Chargers or Tenn will take Alt. Bears could go either way, but they have Allen, Moore, and Kmet - I think defense is very much in play there, too. 

Wildcard is that the Vikings clearly need a QB, and have the ammo to move up. Saw a mock where the Vikes trade with the Giants, then the Jets take Bowers at 10 and the Giants get Odunze at 11. That won’t happen, imho. Giants will take the QB. 

chargers are a wild card.  harbaugh going all in on OL says to me they're going wr.  i do think rome is gone by pick 10

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

If you think Bowers has anything in common with other first round TE busts who have come before him, then you have no idea who or what you're watching.

Bowers is to tight ends what Christian McCaffrey is to running backs, what Lamar Jackson is to QBs, and what Micah Parsons is to edge players.

You all lazily looking at TE before his name is clouding your evaluation. It's lazy and dumb.

It’s a massive risk to take a TE that high, no matter how dreamy you think this particular one is. He needs to be everything you think he’ll be, or the pick will be labeled a bust. You can’t pick a merely good or even very good TE at #10, the player has to be great. However, if you get a quality starter at OT or WR, no one will question the pick. If all three go on to be the best ever at their respective positions, the WR and OT are still the better picks. Much better, actually. 

Falling in love with lower valued positions is how GMs get fired, and JD’s seat is already probably warm enough for him. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I could see the Giants taking Bowers .

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

chargers are a wild card.  harbaugh going all in on OL says to me they're going wr.  i do think rome is gone by pick 10

I agree. If I’m the Chargers, I’m all in on the WR. But I can also see Harbaugh looking to build for the long term with Herbert under contract for six years, and seeing Alt as as too valuable a cornerstone to pass up. 

Rome could easily be gone by #10, I just don’t want him to be! 

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Because elite WR's don't grow on trees and for a GM who is on the hot seat and needs to win this year, hanging your hat on a 3rd round WR is not the way to go. 

IMO, hanging your hat on a 3rd round WR makes more sense than hanging your hat on a 3rd round OL in this draft. 

I think you can make an argument for taking either WR or OL at 10, but trading up when you already don't have a 2nd round pick does not make a ton of sense.

If anything, it makes more sense for the Jets to try to trade down, recoup a 2nd round pick, and double up at both WR and OL. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

I agree. If I’m the Chargers, I’m all in on the WR. But I can also see Harbaugh looking to build for the long term with Herbert under contract for six years, and seeing Alt as as too valuable a cornerstone to pass up. 

Rome could easily be gone by #10, I just don’t want him to be! 

the way the jets are scouting guys it would seem they have scenarios where they trade back, and then get an extra day 2 pick.  also, they do seem active with the qbs and i don't think it's smoke.