Alt, Odunze, or Bowers -- who would you take?

Alt, Odunze, or Bowers?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. If Joe Alt, Rome Odunze, and Brock Bowers are all available when the Jets pick, who do you want them to take?

• Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
    • Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
    • Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

Tough call between Alt and Odunze

Notre Dame has an excellent track record of late when it comes to OTs and OL in general:

Ronnie Stanley, McGlinchey, Quentin Nelson

If only there was a way to end up with both…

Texans getting Stroud and Will Anderson in the same draft was a king 👑 move

5 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Joe Alt is better player than Fautanu

I’m assuming alt won’t there.  But i don’t think it’s as wide a gap as people think.  FWIW, Jeremiah has alt ranked 8, fuaga 10 and fautana 11.  Not much difference. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m assuming alt won’t there.  But i don’t think it’s as wide a gap as people think.  FWIW, Jeremiah has alt ranked 8, fuaga 10 and fautana 11.  Not much difference. 

And the grade point differential is .04 between OT 2 (Alt) and OT 6 (Mims). 6.49 - 6.45

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/ot/all-colleges/all-statuses/2024?page=1

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

And the grade point differential is .04 between OT 2 (Alt) and OT 6 (Mims). 6.49 - 6.45

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/ot/all-colleges/all-statuses/2024?page=1

If the jets are intent on going tackle if the best wrs are gone, then they should definitely look to trade back.  While i believe bowers will be rated high on lots of draft boards, if douglas take him it’s just so risky for his gm rep.  It’s so much easier and safer to take the tackle even if you trade back a few spots.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yeah, I feel like folks are spending a LOT of time talking about Alt, who almost definitely won't get past the Titans at 7. 

Odunze also probably won't make it to us, but he has a better shot than Alt, IMO. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yeah, I feel like folks are spending a LOT of time talking about Alt, who almost definitely won't get past the Titans at 7. 

Odunze also probably won't make it to us, but he has a better shot than Alt, IMO. 

Unless teams like denver and LV go nuts and trade up for qbs, rome and alt are gone.  So really the jets are looking at pretty much every other tackle and bowers.  And really, they should look to trade back.  Even if they get a 3rd and don’t get a 2nd rounder, take it and still take a tackle. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets most pressing need atm is WR.  They can draft a capable OL in the 3rd round to rotate in for injuries as they come up. Finding a day one starting WR in the 3rd round isn't as easy.

This is an interesting answer because it touches on the question of - how do you make you selections this early on in the draft? DO you go with the most pressing need? JD did a great job of addressing nearly all of the Jets needs so that he could go into the draft without feeling like he would be pigeonholed into selecting a particular position. Franky, the most pressing need is safety, not WR. But for arguments sake, lets say its WR. 

Do you address need? One would argue this draft is absolutely loaded at WR and you can get a better quality WR prospect in Rd. 3 than OT. A guy who will make an immediate impact. A slot WR for example, just the type of player we need (With GW and Williams on the outside). Allowing the Jets to take a future franchise LT to step in for Smith and fill in as a backup in 2024. In this case Alt.   

OR what I proposed in a separate thread is for the Jets to take a QB. Lets say they move up and Maye is there or something like that - just as likely as Alt being there at 10 lolol. Far from an immediate need with Rodgers and Taylor but such a critical selection for the future of this franchise. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Unless teams like denver and LV go nuts and trade up for qbs, rome and alt are gone.  So really the jets are looking at pretty much every other tackle and bowers.  And really, they should look to trade back.  Even if they get a 3rd and don’t get a 2nd rounder, take it and still take a tackle. 

I could see Odunze making it to us in the following scenario:

1) Williams

2) Daniels/Maye

3) Daniels/Maye

4) McCarthy (via trade with Minny?)

5) MHJ

6) Nabers

7) Alt

(8)  Verse/Latu/Arnold/Fuaga/Fashanu/

(9) Verse/Latu/Arnold/Fuaga/Fashanu/

That's not impossible. Atlanta will probably go defense and Chicago certainly could. 

Having said that, gun to my head, Chicago would still take Odunze in this situation. People think they won't take a WR because they have Moore and  just traded for Allen and gave him the bag, but he is older and also has some injury concerns. It's hard to have too many WRs. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I could see Odunze making it to us in the following scenario:

1) Williams

2) Daniels/Maye

3) Daniels/Maye

4) McCarthy (via trade with Minny?)

5) MHJ

6) Nabers

7) Alt

(8)  Verse/Latu/Arnold/Fuaga/Fashanu/

(9) Verse/Latu/Arnold/Fuaga/Fashanu/

That's not impossible. Atlanta will probably go defense and Chicago certainly could. 

Having said that, gun to my head, Chicago would still take Odunze in this situation. People think they won't take a WR because they have Moore and  just traded for Allen and gave him the bag, but he is older and also has some injury concerns. It's hard to have too many WRs. 

I also would not be surprised if the chargers go wr and then the giant go wr and you have 3 qbs and 3 wrs with the top 6 picks.  Most scenarios would have rome gone by 10.  I think bowers gets discussion but douglas does the safe thing and takes the tackle.  He’s had so much crap thrown his way b/c of the OL, and he has a layup to fix it.  And since i believe he’s staying here, you may as well fix LT now so that’s not an issue next offseason. 

The Bears brought in Dallas Turner for a top-30.

ATL seems a good bet to take him at #8 but #9 could be his floor.

Eberflus is a dyed-in-the-wool defensive minded HC, and Montez Sweat isn’t enough in terms of pass rush.

Best thing that could possibly happen is a bidding war at #10 for Penix or McCarthy if a team wants to jump the Broncos.

JD could work that angle to pressure the Broncos into moving up.

Trading back AND getting Odunze or Alt would be such a boss 👑 move 😄

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I also would not be surprised if the chargers go wr and then the giant go wr and you have 3 qbs and 3 wrs with the top 6 picks.  Most scenarios would have rome gone by 10.  I think bowers gets discussion but douglas does the safe thing and takes the tackle.  He’s had so much crap thrown his way b/c of the OL, and he has a layup to fix it.  And since i believe he’s staying here, you may as well fix LT now so that’s not an issue next offseason. 

I would 100% take a tackle over Bowers, but I'm not sure what Douglas would do in that scenario. He supposedly wanted Gibbs and Mayer in the 1st round last year and has used premium picks on Mims, Moore, GW, and Breece. He definitely likes his speedy weapons, in addition to being an OL guy. There were also a lot of rumors that he loved Pitts in 2021, as did a lot of people. 

I believe a tackle would be a very wise pick at 10. In terms of just WRs and tackles, my board goes: MHJ, Nabers, Alt, Odunze, Fuaga, Fashanu, Latham, Fautanu. 

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is an interesting answer because it touches on the question of - how do you make you selections this early on in the draft? DO you go with the most pressing need? JD did a great job of addressing nearly all of the Jets needs so that he could go into the draft without feeling like he would be pigeonholed into selecting a particular position. Franky, the most pressing need is safety, not WR. But for arguments sake, lets say its WR. 

Do you address need? One would argue this draft is absolutely loaded at WR and you can get a better quality WR prospect in Rd. 3 than OT. A guy who will make an immediate impact. A slot WR for example, just the type of player we need (With GW and Williams on the outside). Allowing the Jets to take a future franchise LT to step in for Smith and fill in as a backup in 2024. In this case Alt.   

OR what I proposed in a separate thread is for the Jets to take a QB. Lets say they move up and Maye is there or something like that - just as likely as Alt being there at 10 lolol. Far from an immediate need with Rodgers and Taylor but such a critical selection for the future of this franchise. 

Taking ANY defensive player with their first two picks would be INSANE imo and would cause a fan revolt and a national media Jets bashing field day. The WR room is still thin, and given the veteran signings on the OL with their age / injury histories, those two positions should be filled first. I agree that their QB after Rodgers needs to be addressed too, but clearly the Jets have boxed themselves in and are all in this year and perhaps next year too, so making any non "all in picks" in the first few rounds of this draft would seem counterproductive to their current agenda. They need to draft players that will have an impact this year. I'm not married to the order of the picks so as long as WR and OL are addressed with their first two picks, I think most of us can live with that.

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Odunze over Bowers.  Every day and twice on Sunday.

I think Odunze would be a more unanimous pick over Bowers if more people today were familiar with Man of La Mancha. Sophia was hypnotically gorgeous in the role back then. So was Sheena when they reprised it in the early 90s on stage, though she couldn't act at all. Raul Julia was a master actor opposite her, but he didn't nearly have her voice, let alone her Bally's Fitness hotbody.

So it's Odunze over Bowers for me, too.

• Upvote 1

i didn’t vote but if alt is there at 10, i think they take him. i’m not a fan of drafting a guy that probably won’t play but he’s a future franchise LT.

if i was GM, i’d take bowers or odunze.  i wouldn’t take a tackle at 10 - if both are gone in trying to trade down.

I'm voting alt but as a place holder for best ol available.

Alts just OK not elite but certainly a player the Jets could use for ten years 

Olu might have a higher upside as a pass blocker 

Fuaga is probably going to be the best overall player a real pro bowl type but not a true tackle 

Fautanu could also be very special but again probably not a true tackle 

The only one who scares me is Latham 

To be clear I'd take all the above over Rome and bowers 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fuaga is probably going to be the best overall player a real pro bowl type but not a true tackle 

What scares you about Latham ?

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Very interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Guy looks moves like becton. 

I get that concern, but this reminds me of when everyone was afraid of Josh Allen because he was an inaccurate, big-armed QB like Hack (that was always a dumb comparison, but that's what you heard)

Just now, slimjasi said:

I get that concern, but this reminds me of when everyone was afraid of Josh Allen because he was an inaccurate, big-armed QB like Hack (that was always a dumb comparison, but that's what you heard)

I think edge rushers are so athletic, he’s going to struggle.  Again, why take him when you can take a guy like fautanu, whose feet are much better and can also play guard.  Give me the athletic tackle.

Bruce Feldman mocked Bowers to the Jets today. Here’s the coach’s testimonies about him, which is worrying. NFL teams generally play nickel as their base defense, so Bowers isn’t running open against LB’s, and at 240 trying to mow down NFL safeties after the catch is going to put him on IR before long. 

The Coaching Intel

“What separates him is on the 50-50 balls, he’s just such a competitor. He seems to have that ‘clutch gene.’ Watch their Auburn game. When the game was on the line, he took it over. [Georgia trailed 17-10 late in the third quarter on the road. On Georgia’s next three series, Bowers caught six passes for 148 yards and a TD, and the Bulldogs won 27-20.] He’s probably a mid-4.5 (40) guy, but I just think he’s a better football player than athlete. He’s a willing blocker. I think he’s a true off-the-ball H-back.”

“He was such a problem because when he’s running routes, he’s as good as there is. He can really separate. They’d pound you in the running game and then hit you with the play-action pass, and he’d eat you up. His speed put so much stress on your defense when they might be in 12 personnel but you had to play it like 11 because he’s like a 240-pound receiver because of the way he moves. They’d line him up all over the place, out wide, in the backfield, as an in-line. The other thing you don’t really get a sense of until you see him in person is how physical a runner he is with the ball in his hands. He’s a violent runner, breaking through tackles and picking up speed.”

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bruce Feldman mocked Bowers to the Jets today. Here’s the coach’s testimonies about him, which is worrying. NFL teams generally play nickel as their base defense, so Bowers isn’t running open against LB’s, and at 240 trying to mow down NFL safeties after the catch is going to put him on IR before long. 

The Coaching Intel

“What separates him is on the 50-50 balls, he’s just such a competitor. He seems to have that ‘clutch gene.’ Watch their Auburn game. When the game was on the line, he took it over. [Georgia trailed 17-10 late in the third quarter on the road. On Georgia’s next three series, Bowers caught six passes for 148 yards and a TD, and the Bulldogs won 27-20.] He’s probably a mid-4.5 (40) guy, but I just think he’s a better football player than athlete. He’s a willing blocker. I think he’s a true off-the-ball H-back.”

“He was such a problem because when he’s running routes, he’s as good as there is. He can really separate. They’d pound you in the running game and then hit you with the play-action pass, and he’d eat you up. His speed put so much stress on your defense when they might be in 12 personnel but you had to play it like 11 because he’s like a 240-pound receiver because of the way he moves. They’d line him up all over the place, out wide, in the backfield, as an in-line. The other thing you don’t really get a sense of until you see him in person is how physical a runner he is with the ball in his hands. He’s a violent runner, breaking through tackles and picking up speed.”

Yet we’d have no problem taking a 5’11” 180 lb wr who can get creamed any play and be out.

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I know @Larz well.  Just send me a check made out to OHIL and I’ll make sure to deposit it in Larz’s M&A trust.  

You are doing the Lord's work. Thank you.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m thinking this way, MW goes down and it’s 2023 all over, GW on his own.  Would be great to have RO as insurance.

If one of the OLmen go down without Alt, we can survive.  If 2 go down we can survive.  So WR 1st over OL

I agree, assuming they are graded similarly.

Alt has been considered the best tackle and Odunze the third best WR, so Id take Alt in this scenario.

But Alt wont be there so Id take Odunze over the third best tackle.