****The Official Day 1 of the NFL Draft Thread****

Just now, jetswinbaby! said:

This kid is more D'Brick than Becton...

Real solid kid...

I like it...

Yeah, I'm honestly relieved at the pick.  I didn't even know what I wanted us to do but I do think this worked out well.  We'll have the extra ammo to trade up for the WR in a deep WR draft.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I actually really like Penix

my only issue is they could have traded down with the jets (or another team) and taken him at 10 (or even lower) 

like the player though. IF he can stay healthy, he has a chance to be good 

Penix is older though so in 3 years he's approach 30!

If Falcons traded down there's a chance that Minnesota ,Denver or Vegas come up.

Just now, Neilos said:

Penix is older though so in 3 years he's approach 30!

If Falcons traded down there's a chance that Minnesota ,Denver or Vegas come up.

the age isn’t a huge negative to me. The big worry with him is his injury history 

7 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

You call the Falcons and move up for Odunze. Problem solved. 

And you know they didn't try? What was the compensation the falcons wanted in return? If they are willing to take penix at 8 they may not have been willing to take a chance moving down even a few picks.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agree 

Cousins plays this year. He sits and watches a total pro and takes over next year with a solid offensive roster around him 

cousins just received a $50 million signing bonus and has a $27.5 million guaranteed base salary in 2025.  that's a lot of money to pay a backup

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetblue95 said:

cousins just received a $50 million signing bonus and has a $27.5 million guaranteed base salary in 2025.  that's a lot of money to pay a backup

If he plays well, you might be able to move him to a contending team who loses their QB to injury . . . 

otherwise, maybe Penix sits 2 years. We’ve seen that work out before 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah, I'm honestly relieved at the pick.  I didn't even know what I wanted us to do but I do think this worked out well.  We'll have the extra ammo to trade up for the WR in a deep WR draft.

Exactly.  Bowers or rome would have been fun but it would have set the team up to cave in under the failings of an old tackle group.  Now not only is the OL fortified for 2024 but for well after rodgers is done.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Exactly. But there was 1 problem here. You just signed a QB that didn't start with your team. And gave him a big contract. And it was stated that Cousins agent was not informed.  

That’s interesting.  How long is cousins contract?

it could also mean that they expect to lose next years first over what Kirk said 

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

I really like penix and think he is indeed #4 QB in this draft but that was a dumb pick for the falcons imo

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

Heard nothing but Jets being all in this year and they take a guy who they hope won't play.   It's definitely ballsy if nothing else. 

he's gonna play

probably both LT and RT 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

And you know they didn't try? What was the compensation the falcons wanted in return? If they are willing to take penix at 8 they may not have been willing to take a chance moving down even a few picks.

We may find out in due course if the Jets tried to move up. The Titans were another viable option. 

This pick is only justifiable if the Jets tried to trade up for 1 of the top 3 WRs but were rebuffed. Its nice depth and maybe Olu is a future star and all but its not moving the needle for this team week 1. And that kinda sucks. 

• Upvote 1