Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

Just now, Sammybighead said:

The first part of the post is kinda how I was left feeling after watching his tape. Really good prospect, but he's limited in certain respects. Are we really about to turn the keys over to a rookie TE and run a huge chunk of the offense through him in a win now year? If so, ok, great. If you don't and try to make him an inline TE as well, are you really getting the most out of him to the point where it's worth #10?

It's funny the scout mentioned he had a fullbacks body. In another thread I called him a rich man's Kyle juszczyk. Maybe that's a bit extreme but I was trying to make a point about his potential limitations. And for those saying "well he's not going to be a TE, he's a weapon/WR, that's great but I don't see evidence of him lining up outside and winning like a wr. So why not just draft a WR? (Or a really good slot in the 3rd)?

I know his "downfield" highlights were posted the other day, but how many of those reps was he lined up outside and won (and not starting in the slot)?

I’m really just diving into the draft now and looking into Bowers because of all of the Jets smoke. I just don’t see top 10. The Kansas State tight end looks like the better player to me, and he tested off of the charts. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If the Jets take him he's a bust but if he falls to the Bengals he's a first ballot hall of famer, the overanalyzing of Bowers as a prospect is really dumb and the positional value BS is too.

No one is talking about how Detroit really went full "bad" positional value in last years draft, when they reached a conference championship.

Give us that Detroit o line and Breece Hall has a 2k season. 

• Upvote 1

Who’s the “scout”. Here?  The first guy’s piece you copied and pasted is a scout?  Have no idea where it’s from or by who. 
The second guy, Bob McGinn, is a retired media guy from Green Bay, not a scout.  Not an expert

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

simple question. 
Who did you quote in the first piece.  

Bob McGinn has been putting out this piece for like the last 30 years. He gets a collection of scouts and their thoughts where you actually get some uncut opinions on players. He’s the only draft guy worth reading at this point

• Upvote 1

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First, the guy who guessed he runs a 4.8 should be discredited.

Bowers is a case you don’t over-analyze.  You put on 3 years of tape against the best competition in college football.

1. How dominant was he?  Very

2. Did he step up in the biggest games?  Yes

3. Was he a mismatch against CBs, LBs, Safeties?  Yes because of his unique athletic profile:  combo of size, speed, explosiveness, toughness

4. Did he jump off the screen?  Yes

5. Did teams find ways to stop him after 3 years?  His TDs did go down but his stats stand tall even in the face of more attention

6. What did opposing coaches like Nick Saban say about him?  ‘One of the premier players in college football’, ‘best TE in the country’, ‘a mismatch problem’, ‘a good blocker’

7. Are there red flags?  By all accounts, a great and humble kid

Bowers has not jumped off of the screen for me. I’m just one guy though. But I feel like I’ve watched enough football to make that conclusion. Just watching vs the Kansas State tight end, and the KSU kid looks bigger, faster, stronger.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bob McGinn has been putting out this piece for like the last 30 years. He gets a collection of scouts and their thoughts where you actually get some uncut opinions on players. He’s the only draft guy worth reading at this point

Your talking to JetNut he thinks Woody Johnson knows what he’s doing 

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bowers has not jumped off of the screen for me. I’m just one guy though. But I feel like I’ve watched enough football to make that conclusion. Just watching vs the Kansas State tight end, and the KSU kid looks bigger, faster, stronger.

You would be in the minority.  Bowers highlight tape is a thing of beauty against the best competition in college football.

Don’t just look at yards after the catch, look at yards after contact.  I don’t know what to tell you if you cannot see his explosiveness, suddenness, balance, leaping ability …

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Good thing we have an innovative offensive coordinator who will think outside the box and carve out a role for this kid.

This has been my biggest justification for being hesitant to draft Bowers. He needs a great offensive mind to get the most out of him.

LaPorta, Kelce, Andrews, Kittle....all have top notch offensive coaches either HC or OC scheming them around.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

The first part of the post is kinda how I was left feeling after watching his tape. Really good prospect, but he's limited in certain respects. Are we really about to turn the keys over to a rookie TE and run a huge chunk of the offense through him in a win now year? If so, ok, great. If you don't and try to make him an inline TE as well, are you really getting the most out of him to the point where it's worth #10?

It's funny the scout mentioned he had a fullbacks body. In another thread I called him a rich man's Kyle juszczyk. Maybe that's a bit extreme but I was trying to make a point about his potential limitations. And for those saying "well he's not going to be a TE, he's a weapon/WR, that's great but I don't see evidence of him lining up outside and winning like a wr. So why not just draft a WR? (Or a really good slot in the 3rd)?

I know his "downfield" highlights were posted the other day, but how many of those reps was he lined up outside and won (and not starting in the slot)?

He’s about the same size as Evan Engram who is a wr pretending to be a TE.  

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

This has been my biggest justification for being hesitant to draft Bowers. He needs a great offensive mind to get the most out of him.

LaPorta, Kelce, Andrews, Kittle....all have top notch offensive coaches either HC or OC scheming them around.

LaPorta is also playing with by far the league’s best offensive line.  He isn’t asked to block a lot because he doesn’t have to

29 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If the Jets take him he's a bust but if he falls to the Bengals he's a first ballot hall of famer, the overanalyzing of Bowers as a prospect is really dumb and the positional value BS is too.

No one is talking about how Detroit really went full "bad" positional value in last years draft, when they reached a conference championship.

Your argument loses a little muster when you compare pick 10 to pick 34.   If we trade down and get picks 20 and 34 and take a tackle and then bowers at 34 I think it’s safe to say we would have a party on this board. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Rich Thornburgh said:

LaPorta is also playing with by far the league’s best offensive line.  He isn’t asked to block a lot because he doesn’t have to

Good point and the same can be said about KC, Baltimore, and SF. All great OLs. Even more reason why it is buyer beware with Bowers.

Bowers after a trade down? Sure. at 10? Naaaah.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Your talking to JetNut he thinks Woody Johnson knows what he’s doing 

Look the troll is attempting conscious thought.

Do us a favor, go find the post where I said that or stfu already. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good point and the same can be said about KC, Baltimore, and SF. All great OLs. Even more reason why it is buyer beware with Bowers.

Yet you’re against fuaga?  I think he’s what the jets need

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I know there are plenty of people advocating for Bowers, I'm just not one of them.

At #10 over all, I'd be good with one of the 3 top OT's (Alt, Fashanu or Fuaga), one of the top 3 WR's (Odunze, Nabors or Harrison Jr) otherwise trade down & try to recoup a 2nd rounder if possible.

If the Jets 1st round pans out any other way, I'd be disappointed and it certainly wouldn't be the first time thats happened.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I just don’t get the hype about bowers.  The athletes in the nfl are bigger, stronger and faster he’s not going to routinely run them over like he did these college players 

• Upvote 2

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged