Atlanta selects Penix 8th overall

Thoughts on Atlanta’s Decision  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on Atlanta’s Decision

• Great decision
    • Good decision but I would have drafted JJ or Nix
    • I would not draft a QB that high after signing Cousins to a big contract
    • Terrible decision

They'll be looking like geniuses if they are set at QB for the next 5 years or beyond. This video was online, and I found it fascinating, because the post made it sound like it was taken AFTER the pick. It's still interesting, and looks like there's some level of hesitancy/disagreement, unless I'm just reading into it.

• Upvote 1

I have said for years that QBs are currency.

Yes, this sets the Falcons up with a post-Cousins plan. If they want that, which is about as imaginative as sports media gets.

However, what few in anyone is mentioning is that IF the Falcons sell either Cousins or Penix next year, they likely net more compensation than they just gave up… and certainly more than they’ll lose if they get nipped for tampering. Consider this draft pick more of a stock market move than anything else. That pick immediately began appreciating as soon as Denver had to reach on Bo Nix.

• Upvote 1

I will say this… decided to watch some film of Odunze yesterday before the draft just to see what the Jets might draft.  I came away extremely impressed with the accuracy of Penix.   Tight window and back-shoulder balls were deadly accurate.  Atlanta may have done something brilliant but we won’t see the results immediately.  

I remember another time when this happened while watching college film of Josh Rosen.  Some kid named Vita Vea I had never heard of was blowing up every other play.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

They'll be looking like geniuses if they are set at QB for the next 5 years or beyond. This video was online, and I found it fascinating, because the post made it sound like it was taken AFTER the pick. It's still interesting, and looks like there's some level of hesitancy/disagreement, unless I'm just reading into it.

For all we know, Fontenot was telling Blank about how he once tripped over a hedge and landed on his head.

• Upvote 1

Atlanta smartly did what the idiotic jets didnt do.

similar situations here: 2 old, over the hill, injured, super expensive vet qbs.

One team wisely snagged a high ceiling qb prospect early, when they this rare opportunity , to sit and learn and be available if the old geezer gets his legs broken or develops a bunion.

The dumb team, with a qb almost FIVE years vs older mind you, does not and once again puts all their eggs in the old geezers basket with no hope or plan for the future or if grandpa has a heart attack or develops sciatica.

I am FIRMLY on Atlanta's side on this one

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

I vaguely liked Penix, but no way do I draft him after giving that contract to Cousins, nor do I draft him without warning Cousins of it first.

It's a bit of a mind-boggling pick.  Penix isn't going to play in 2024.  Or 2025 barring injury.  How old will he be in 2026?

I like the "sit a guy till he's healthy and ready", we should do that here, but this one seems just odd.

Atlanta showing they have faith contractually, then that they don't with this pick.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

They are committed to two, and the fully guaranteed according to OTC is $90 million not $100 million. As a post June 1 cut he only counts $12.5 million against the cap for two years.  So their QB1 hit will be around $19 million for years 3 or 4 of Penix's contract and they have the option year and plenty of time to evaluate it. I think it is a brilliant move IF you are convinced Penix is a franchise guy and they do.

The jets QB situation is FAR worse than cousins, i would assume that douglas should be destroyed for not taking nix or mccarthy?

29 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Atlanta smartly did what the idiotic jets didnt do.

similar situations here: 2 old, over the hill, injured, super expensive vet qbs.

One team wisely snagged a high ceiling qb prospect early, when they this rare opportunity , to sit and learn and be available if the old geezer gets his legs broken or develops a bunion.

The dumb team, with a qb almost FIVE years vs older mind you, does not and once again puts all their eggs in the old geezers basket with no hope or plan for the future or if grandpa has a heart attack or develops sciatica.

I am FIRMLY on Atlanta's side on this one

So you think drafting that McCarthy at #10, to be developed by Nathaniel Hackett, would’ve been the better move? Cool. I don’t. 

He’s in great position to succeed now, though. O’Connell’s a great offensive coach, and he’s gonna play at home in a dome with some nice weapons. We’ll see how he does. Unlike every rookie Jet QB ever, he doesn’t have any excuses. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I vaguely liked Penix

Girl Smile GIF

Seriously, though, this pick comes down to whether Penix pans out. He'll be 26 when Cousins' contract has an out in two years, and from what we all saw at Indiana (!) and Washington, he's a playmaker. I don't think this pick is as bad as the mobs make it out to be. He's a good QB and that always has value in this league 

• Haha 2

I'm really not sure how anyone can justify using the #8 overall pick on a quarterback a month after signing a veteran quarterback to a 4 year, $180m deal.  It just doesn't make any sense.  You need to invest in building a team around the quarterback you just paid big money.

12 hours ago, Bronx said:

It worked for Green Bay.  Maybe they will trade Stafford on the last year of his contract to the NY Jets. 

Why do people keep saying this as though it’s true? Has Green Bay won a recent championship I’m unaware of?

What they did was eff up a pick by using it on a pure bench player while seeing themselves get narrowly bumped off in the playoffs those next two seasons, one high-talent contributor short of advancing to another Lombardi, while Rodgers was still winning MVP awards. 

Green Bay screwed up, flushing away a couple very serious chances at a championship by drafting a QB in round 1 a full three seasons before they had any use for him. Was a wasted opportunity with Rodgers, and a waste of nearly the entirety of the cheap rookie contract that makes 1st round QBs such relative bargains.

• Upvote 3

Kirk Cousins $62.5 million in 2024 

Michael Penix Jr.  $22.9M

The 2024 NFL salary cap is $255.4 million per team

So they have approx 33.4% of their cap in this one postion this year.

WOW  

15 hours ago, slats said:

Have to wonder if the Jets made an offer. They could’ve done to the Jets what the Jets did to the Vikes; added capital and gotten their guy, regardless. 

too risky with Minn and Denver wanting QBs. they could have traded with the Bears and jumped over them.

56 minutes ago, doitny said:

too risky with Minn and Denver wanting QBs. they could have traded with the Bears and jumped over them.

Did anyone have Atlanta thinking QB, though? That came out of left field. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

People are over thinking this 

Kirk cousins kinda sucks 

I know you have the salary cap filed away somewhere between Bigfoot and a flat Earth, but spending $100M guaranteed on a sucky QB right before drafting his expected replacement at #8 is not much of a plan, either. That’s what Gardiner Minshew is for. 

• Upvote 1