AFC Head Coach Poll

AFC Head Coach Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. In a head-to-head coaching matchup, Robert Saleh gives the Jets the EDGE over these HC's (I'm leaving out rookie HC's Mayo and Callahan)

• Sean McDermott (Bills)
    • Mike McDaniel (Dolphins)
    • John Harbaugh (Ravens)
    • Zac Taylor (Bengals)
    • Mike Tomlin (Steelers)
    • Kevin Stefanski (Browns)
    • Doug Pederson (Jaguars)
    • Shane Steichen (Colts)
    • DeMeco Ryans (Texans)
    • Andy Reid (Chiefs)
    • Antonio Pierce (Raiders)
    • Jim Harbaugh (Chargers)
    • None
    • Skipping this question but I want to answer the other question and this forum requires me to respond to all questions in a poll
  2. 2. In a head-to-head coaching matchup, it's a roughly even matchup between Robert Saleh and the following HC's (I'm leaving out rookie HC's Mayo and Callahan)

• Sean McDermott (Bills)
    • Mike McDaniel (Dolphins)
    • John Harbaugh (Ravens)
    • Zac Taylor (Bengals)
    • Mike Tomlin (Steelers)
    • Kevin Stefanski (Browns)
    • Doug Pederson (Jaguars)
    • Shane Steichen (Colts)
    • DeMeco Ryans (Texans)
    • Andy Reid (Chiefs)
    • Antonio Pierce (Raiders)
    • Jim Harbaugh (Chargers)
    • None
    • Skipping this question but I want to answer the other question and this forum requires me to respond to all questions in a poll

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 09/01/2024 at 01:14 AM

4 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Is this assuming they have identical rosters?

or just as constructed, who could he “outcoach?”

You know sometimes at the beginning of the games they show a graphic with each team's logo on one side (e.g. the Jets on the left and the Broncos on the right).  Then they show categories like "Offense", "Defense", "Special Teams", "Coaching".  And they put a check mark next to the side with the edge (or they write "Even").  That was more what I was thinking.  I couldn't find that graphic (couldn't think of a good search term).

He’s got a lot to prove.  JD has given him a deep roster with stars and young legs and now he has to win or it’s on him. Becton and Wilson being gone should help with the locker room.  

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Is this assuming they have identical rosters?

or just as constructed, who could he “outcoach?”

1. They all have to use Zach Wilson as QB1

2. They get 2X XP for every point scored by the offense over 20.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

To play devil’s advocate, nobody has had worse QB play or OL injury luck than Saleh.

That said, the team has collapsed down the stretch 2 years in a row.

Wish we could read the player exit interviews:

- Favoritism to underperforming vets

- Lack of urgency (eg, QB switch; JD shares in this)

- Poor leadership skills (eg, lack of accountability, salesy, bad PR, poor critical decision making, overly focused on 1 side of the ball)

- Rigid system guy while other coaches are playing game to game & in game chess

- Too conservative.  Cannot hold opponents to zero points.  Need to score.  Goes against 4th down analytics near midfield)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. They all have to use Zach Wilson as QB1

2. They get 2X XP for every point scored by the offense over 20.

Mike Tomlin had Kenny Pickett/Mitch Trubisky/Mason Rudolph yet still managed to win 10 games and make the playoffs.  And that was in a division where 2 other teams made the playoffs (Ravens/Browns).  

• Upvote 2

I mean it’s much easier to “coach wins” when you have a QB. 

Tomlin is considered one of the best coaches in the league is he not? If they can’t figure out QB again this year, he’s likely on the hot seat or even gone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Second question is a single option question, not a multiple choice.

My bad.  Thank you for letting me know.  I just made the update.  It should be a multiple response question now.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GangGreened said:

I mean it’s much easier to “coach wins” when you have a QB. 

Tomlin is considered one of the best coaches in the league is he not? If they can’t figure out QB again this year, he’s likely on the hot seat or even gone.

Undoubtedly.  I give a lot of credit to the job Mike Tomlin and Kevin Stefanski did last year for that very reason.  I also think Zac Taylor and Shane Steichen (who both went 9-8 despite losing their starting QB) did very well too

• Upvote 1

Mike Tomlin is a better coach than Robert Saleh. 100%. Mike Tomlin benches Zach Wilson in Week Three. 
Week 3 ... of preseason? Or training camp?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike Tomlin is a better coach than Robert Saleh. 100%. Mike Tomlin benches Zach Wilson in Week Three. 

I think there's a good chance you're right about that.  Though it's funny that the following week he outplayed the best QB in the NFL.

image.png.3aca2103a8c5d6fc9d82b1fbd3530a7c.png

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think there's a good chance you're right about that.  Though it's funny that the following week he outplayed the best QB in the NFL.

image.png.3aca2103a8c5d6fc9d82b1fbd3530a7c.png

Dig if you will the picture, of Zach Wilson trying to complete passes against a Jets defense that picked off Mahomes twice and held him to 203 yards passing. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dig if you will the picture, of Zach Wilson trying to complete passes against a Jets defense that picked off Mahomes twice and held him to 203 yards passing. 

Maybe you're just like my mother (maybe you're just like my mother)
She's never satisfied (she's never, never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other? (Why do we scream? Why?)
LisaWilson.thumb.jpg.da7ba2c89c2e10476001123c66b4b4f8.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe you're just like my mother (maybe you're just like my mother)
She's never satisfied (she's never, never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other? (Why do we scream? Why?)
LisaWilson.thumb.jpg.da7ba2c89c2e10476001123c66b4b4f8.jpg

I luv it when she stares at me like that - when we get home she will dress me up like a ballerina and beat the sissy out of me!

• Haha 1

Saleh hasn't proven anything yet but he's out of excuses this year. IMO the team has played exactly as well as the roster on both sides of the ball. I'm honestly unsure what to point at that reflects a benefit of Saleh's coaching. A fair argument can be made that he's hampering the team by foregoing adjusting the defense and making such terrible offensive coaching hires. The team's success this year lies more in Rodgers's performance than Saleh's. 

Saleh's biggest challenge this year will be proving his defense can hold up once the offense starting scoring and opponents can't gameplan winning by fewer than twenty points. 

Posted (edited)

I general think QBs make most coaches. Some coaches do make teams better though. Saleh does not fall into that category.

Coaches that make their team better: Reid, Pederson, John Harbough, Tomlin and McDaniels. I don't know about Jim Harbough. But Saleh is tied with the rest of those coaches. The difference between them is the QB.

Edited by GreenFish

@TuscanyTile2 you forgot Sean Payton, who I do, in fact, think we have an edge over right now with Saleh lol.

He is what the haters like to think about Bill belichik as - an egomaniac who would have been nothing without his HOF QB 

(OK maybe that's hyperbole, but I am disgusted by the job he's doing in Denver right now)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Undoubtedly.  I give a lot of credit to the job Mike Tomlin and Kevin Stefanski did last year for that very reason.  I also think Zac Taylor and Shane Steichen (who both went 9-8 despite losing their starting QB) did very well too

i will give you Mike Tomlin but thats it. Stefanski went 5-1 with his starter Watson and 4-1 with Flacco who are better than Zach.

but when he had a Zach type player Dorain Thompson-Robinson, P.J Walker and Jeff Driscol he went 2-4.

and he went 4-7 with Brissett in 2022. 

Zac Taylor went 5-5 with one of the best QB in the NFL with Burrow. that takes him out of the conversation.

Shane Steichen: are you seriously given him credit for going 7-6 with Gardner Minshew? that guy is one of the best backups in the league. probably better than his rookie he replaced.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I general think QBs make most coaches. Some coaches do make teams better though. Saleh does not fall into that category.

Coaches that make their team better: Reid, Pederson, John Harbough, Tomlin and McDaniels. I don't know about Jim Harbough. But Saleh is tied with the rest of those coaches. The difference between them is the QB.

Saleh does make this team better. the defense is very good. 

forget the offense. Zach could be the worst QB in NFL history. he kills the whole offense. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Goes against 4th down analytics near midfield)

how the hell can we go for it on 4th down with the worst QB ever? everybody knows we cant trust him to throw for a 1st down. so everyone would key on the run and we would get stopped.

lets see how many times he goes for it with Rodgers. i bet it will be a hell of alot more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

To play devil’s advocate, nobody has had worse QB play or OL injury luck than Saleh.

That said, the team has collapsed down the stretch 2 years in a row.

Wish we could read the player exit interviews:

- Favoritism to underperforming vets

- Lack of urgency (eg, QB switch; JD shares in this)

- Poor leadership skills (eg, lack of accountability, salesy, bad PR, poor critical decision making, overly focused on 1 side of the ball)

- Rigid system guy while other coaches are playing game to game & in game chess

- Too conservative.  Cannot hold opponents to zero points.  Need to score.  Goes against 4th down analytics near midfield)

You need to add little knowledge of offense.

• Upvote 1

Meh.  I hate these polls....but I also love them. lol

They get me thinking.

Saleh beat a few of those guys with Zach Wilson which tells us something.  Not sure if it tells us that Saleh is better or if those coaches are just much worse.  With Zach they beat the Bills, Browns, Texans and should have beaten the Chiefs.  With Rodgers I think a few more of those games become W's for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Meh.  I hate these polls....but I also love them. lol
They get me thinking.
Saleh beat a few of those guys with Zach Wilson which tells us something.  Not sure if it tells us that Saleh is better or if those coaches are just much worse.  With Zach they beat the Bills, Browns, Texans and should have beaten the Chiefs.  With Rodgers I think a few more of those games become W's for sure.
Or ... Zach was able to beat those guys with Saleh as a coach ...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

At some point we have to accept that we simply do not know what Robert Saleh is as a coach. 

When guys like Gardiner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett and the Lady Stoneheart era of Joe Flacco can routinely outplay Zach Wilson, how do we judge the coach of a Zach Wilson lead team?

He was saddled not with the 32nd quarterback in the league, but probably the 40th.

And a bottom three offensive line. 

So I have no idea if Saleh is the next Mike Tomlin or Saleh is the next Brandon Staley.

We’ll find out this year. 

This.

• Upvote 1