OTAs 2024, Days 1-3

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He never was 15 for 15 or perfect for that many attempts.  Unfortunately 

Again, no idea what his stats were. I just remember people making a big deal out of a "perfect" Zach Wilson practice. (And, btw, this was in training camp, not in OTAS)

The point is that these practice reports are largely irrelevant. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think they realize they can’t have rodgers sitting back there while opposing defenses count to 7 Mississippi.  So drafting a guy like Corley, who is a pure dumpoff option, makes a lot of sense for a qb they don’t want to get hit.  Even the 49ers have a guy like that.  

We all know fashanu didn’t get drafted b/c of his run blocking, he’s like brick in that regard.  He will learn enough technique to get his body in position.  But you can’t teach pass blocking like that.  You either have the feet or you don’t.  

Yeah, I loved the Fashanu pick, especially over Bowers, but Odunze would have been ideal there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I loved the Fashanu pick, especially over Bowers, but Odunze would have been ideal there. 

I mean i love great wrs but what’s the over under for smith’s games this season?  If the OL is solid, can you play guys like Lazard, Corley and Gipson along with those TEs and rbs pounding it and win, vs if the OL has injuries to tackles and rodgers has no time and is getting hit?  I think for this team right now, fashanu is more important and also, if JD survives the season and gets an extension and rodgers returns after a playoff run, then they enter next offseason with LT checked off the list, along with slot wr, and they can put more resources into a longer term qb solution.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tyron Smith and Moses are the ones to think about now. 

Now that the Jets have Fashanu, I just don't see the Jets extending Smith  after this year.  Moses might have another 2 years after this one, but let's see how he holds up.  I would love Tyron Smith to stay healthy and prove me wrong.  One thing I will say: When Tryon is on the field, he is elite.  He is never just okay, or average.  When he is on the field, he is a dominant player.  Imagine Smith playing another 2 years and Fashanu at right tackle.  That would be a wow situation.  We can only dream!

• Upvote 4

1- QB

2- Elite Skill (WR/DB)

3- LT/Edge

That's the pecking order to success. If an elite skill guy is in your sites, wr or db, go get him. Period.

Remember the 2021 draft, the Zack Wilson draft? (too soon?) Remember the Bengals, who had drafted Joe Burow the year b4 and was rocked by a bad O-line. Bengals on the clock picking 5th with Penei Sewell, best LT in the draft staring them in the face. Perfect! The obvious pick. Nope. They picked some schmuck WR named Ja'Mar Chase. Elite skill over LT, regardless of the 'need'.

Douglas had a shot at an elite skill player, he went for it, as he should. Didn't work. Consolation prize wasn't too shabby. Best LT.

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

1- QB

2- Elite Skill (WR/DB)

3- LT/Edge

That's the pecking order to success. If an elite skill guy is in your sites, wr or db, go get him. Period.

Remember the 2021 draft, the Zack Wilson draft? (too soon?) Remember the Bengals, who had drafted Joe Burow the year b4 and was rocked by a bad O-line. Bengals on the clock picking 5th with Penei Sewell, best LT in the draft staring them in the face. Perfect! The obvious pick. Nope. They picked some schmuck WR named Ja'Mar Chase. Elite skill over LT, regardless of the 'need'.

Douglas had a shot at an elite skill player, he went for it, as he should. Didn't work. Consolation prize wasn't too shabby. Best LT.

And their qb is hurt every year.  Should have taken sewell.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I hope that JD didn't seriously think the Jets would have been better off with Odunze and a 3rd round OT, than with Olu and Corley.  If so, imo he should fired now before he can do any further damage.  IMO none of those OTs would have been able to step in and play effectively this season if/when Smith and/or Moses goes down with a serious injury.  I really like Amegadjie's potential, and like both Paul and Suamataia, but they all have more work to do to be ready to start in the NFL, none of them have the ceiling and talent that Olu has, and like all developmental prospects, it's iffy whether or not they develop.  With Carter as the OL Coach, I wouldn't hold my breath on any of those 3 developing.

I totally agree that they did better with Olu and Corley. 

Odunze and Kiran Amegadije (ironically, the pair taken by the Bears) is a better set of draft picks than Olu and Corley. Odunze is obviously leaps and bounds ahead of Corley, while Amegadije is a high-upside guy who needs a bit more seasoning before he's ready to be an NFL starter (which is exactly what he'd get backing up Tyron Smith).

Don't get me wrong, I like our guys. But I'd trade them for the Bears' duo without a second thought

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, slats said:

And yet there are only 5 LTs who make more than $20M/year, topping out with Larry Tunsil at $25M. Meanwhile, there are 18 WRs making $ 20M/year or more, with three of those earning over $30M. The league considers the WR position to be more important. 

The analytics community also thinks WR > LT.

The key with the offensive line is to have 5 guys that are at least average. With the WR position though, you want those elite guys. They are game changers.

My view is

QB > CB/WR > OT/Edge

With corner, we saw the impact. Revis elevated our team. A LT is not doing that because if another OL sucks, the entire line gets brought down. At WR, a guy like Tyreek Hill can blow the game wide open. You have to gameplay against those guys.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Odunze and Kiran Amegadije (ironically, the pair taken by the Bears) is a better set of draft picks than Olu and Corley. Odunze is obviously leaps and bounds ahead of Corley, while Amegadije is a high-upside guy who needs a bit more seasoning before he's ready to be an NFL starter (which is exactly what he'd get backing up Tyron Smith).

Don't get me wrong, I like our guys. But I'd trade them for the Bears' duo without a second thought

I totally disagree.  Yes, Amegadjie has a high upside, but not as high a Fashanu's.  Plus, he's coming off of an injury, and is pretty raw technically.  He also doesn't have a lot of experience, and what he has is at a lower level of competition.  It could be a year or 2 before he is ready to start, and even then most likely won't be anywhere near as good.

I think there's a chance that Odunze could bust.  He couldn't even consistently create separation in college.  Even if he is as good as most think he is, the Jets already have their #1 WR in G. Wilson.  If Odunze does develop, there's no way the Jets will be able to afford to pay both Wilson and Odunze, as well as Sauce, JJ, Breece, Q and other players.  That just isn't realistic.  I think Corley is perfect for the Jets and he will give the team a lift and momentum with his broken tackles and big plays.  Corley plays big in big games.  Odunze had good stats in the national championship game, but really wasn't that much of a factor.  He didn't lift his team's play.  I'm ecstatic with Fashanu and Corley.  The only other OT and WR I would have rather had were Joe Alt and Xavier Legette.  I don't like Harrison's attitude.  He's gonna be a diva and hell to deal with.  Nabers has character issues that could lessen his impact.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I mean i love great wrs but what’s the over under for smith’s games this season?  If the OL is solid, can you play guys like Lazard, Corley and Gipson along with those TEs and rbs pounding it and win, vs if the OL has injuries to tackles and rodgers has no time and is getting hit?  I think for this team right now, fashanu is more important and also, if JD survives the season and gets an extension and rodgers returns after a playoff run, then they enter next offseason with LT checked off the list, along with slot wr, and they can put more resources into a longer term qb solution.  

It’s tough because if we’re talking about this season, you’d want Odunze + Tyron + vet backup LT. It’s just harder to find the elite WR than it is to fill a tackle spot, and with the way offense is being played now, offenses are all scheming ways to offset suboptimal OL personnel.  You said it yourself—the Jets are going to be a run-heavy team that de-emphasizes the pass game which also deemphasizes the importance of a pass blocking LT—especially a backup pass blocking LT. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Odunze had good stats in the national championship game, but really wasn't that much of a factor.  He didn't lift his team's play

🫢
Corley had three 100 yard games last year: against Troy, Sam Houston State, and Louisiana Tech. Here are the game logs of “not much of a factor” Odunze from last year, when he put up 1,600 yards and 13 TDs:

IMG_5235.jpeg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s tough because if we’re talking about this season, you’d want Odunze + Tyron + vet backup LT. It’s just harder to find the elite WR than it is to fill a tackle spot, and with the way offense is being played now, offenses are all scheming ways to offset suboptimal OL personnel.  You said it yourself—the Jets are going to be a run-heavy team that de-emphasizes the pass game which also deemphasizes the importance of a pass blocking LT—especially a backup pass blocking LT. 

Since the jets really needed a tackle and a wr and had no 2nd round pick, we knew the positions but didn’t know the order.  It was a weird draft b/c of all the qbs going early along with the wrs, and the jets really didn’t have much leverage to move up to get anyone.

even though the jets offense is clearly morphing into a balanced attack that expects to get leads and pound away in 2nd halves with those big rbs, tackles who can pass protect are always gold in the nfl.  And with a guy like rodgers, having as many short pass options like Corley and breece is a good strategy to keep him healthy.  And if you don’t have a guy like josh allen or mahomes who can easily escape pressure and move the chains, having better pass protection is the next best option. 

If there’s one key takeaway from the jets draft in 2024 it’s that douglas expects to be here beyond this season.  He drafted a pure pass blocking LT who may be a bit raw and may not hit his upside potential for a few years.  He traded around and stored an extra 3rd rounder next draft.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Alka said:

Now that the Jets have Fashanu, I just don't see the Jets extending Smith  after this year.  Moses might have another 2 years after this one, but let's see how he holds up.  I would love Tyron Smith to stay healthy and prove me wrong.  One thing I will say: When Tryon is on the field, he is elite.  He is never just okay, or average.  When he is on the field, he is a dominant player.  Imagine Smith playing another 2 years and Fashanu at right tackle.  That would be a wow situation.  We can only dream!

You wrote this up like you want to keep Moses and let Smith walk.   Then you adeptly describe why I feel the opposite.  Moses is solid but replaceable.  Smith is plus, plus when he is on the field. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

🫢
Corley had three 100 yard games last year: against Troy, Sam Houston State, and Louisiana Tech. Here are the game logs of “not much of a factor” Odunze from last year, when he put up 1,600 yards and 13 TDs:

IMG_5235.jpeg

You do realize that the PAC 12 is not a great conference any more, don't you, especially for pass defense.  He couldn't get consistent separation against those lesser DBs.  How is he going to be more successful in the NFL against much better DBs?  He could be fine, but I'll take a player like Corley who shows up big in big games and who has the YAC ability  that he does, especially when the Jets needed a young OT with talent that can be counted on this year to fill in for Smith, and then be a quality starter next season.

Taking Odunze would have been horrible roster building and put this whole season in jeopardy.  Then if Smith had gone down early, and Rodgers had gotten hurt again or was constantly running for his life and the offense started struggling, all you guys who were screaming for Odunze would have been killing JD for not fixing the depth at OT.

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Only time will tell.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

You do realize that the PAC 12 is not a great conference any more, don't you, especially for pass defense.  He couldn't get consistent separation against those lesser DBs.  How is he going to be more successful in the NFL against much better DBs?  He could be fine, but I'll take a player like Corley who shows up big in big games and who has the YAC ability  that he does, especially when the Jets needed a young OT with talent that can be counted on this year to fill in for Smith, and then be a quality starter next season.

Taking Odunze would have been horrible roster building and put this whole season in jeopardy.  Then if Smith had gone down early, and Rodgers had gotten hurt again or was constantly running for his life and the offense started struggling, all you guys who were screaming for Odunze would have been killing JD for not fixing the depth at OT.

I don’t understand where these “big games” Corley allegedly played in are coming from? And I’m going to suggest that the defenses played in Conference USA weren’t remotely as good as the defenses played by the FBS teams Odunze was lighting up every week. He would have single-handedly beaten Michigan if Penix doesn’t outright miss him on two deep balls where he cooks the Michigan CB who’s going top ten next year. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t understand where these “big games” Corley allegedly played in are coming from? And I’m going to suggest that the defenses played in Conference USA weren’t remotely as good as the defenses played by the FBS teams Odunze was lighting up every week. He would have single-handedly beaten Michigan if Penix doesn’t outright miss him on two deep balls where he cooks the Michigan CB who’s going top ten next year. 

He had a very good game against Ohio State.

21 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

They could have wanted him at 10 for all I care but what round was he draft in?   The 3rd RD?  Ok.  Check. Got it.  So yeah, back to the point, as I said, look at the odds here.  And yes, late round 2nd round picks, similarly have a steep learning curve and dont typically hit the ground running.  Personally,  I think once you're drafting out of the top 50, unless it's OL, LB, S or something like that, you're doing incredible work to find an opening day starter. 

Yes, there is a huge learning curve for slot WR's.  Everything about the position in college vs. pros is completely and totally different from who defends them, to how they are defended, to having to attack the middle of an NFL field vs. a college field.  And in Corley's case, I dont know how to explain the learning curve to you anymore than I already have but I implore you to go watch Western Kentucky and see the system they ran, what they asked Corley to do and the absolutely laughable level of comp, to better understand, this is not going to be instant. 

The UDFA started 3 games out of necessity toward the end of the season.  And how did he perform?  lol    1 good game?  1 game w/ more the 2 catches?  Lol  21 catches on the season, idk, sounds like he probably had.......a big learning curve. 

I think there are a few things missing from this Corley debate.

First off, the learning curve thing, while correct, isnt really going to be applicable unless we have a bunch of injuries.  In 2024, the jets are going to as Corley to do what he did in college and not much more.  Rogers said yesterday that Corley was his favorite WR in the draft, "not because there werent guys ranked ahead of him but because of what his skillset and attitude could do for the team."

Corley's measurement this year shouldnt be his cumulative stats, it should be how he impacts the team.  Does he have 1 or 2 plays a game where he makes an impact play that displays why he was selected.  To me, his presence is going to force the defense to account for him on bubble screens and short slants (throws that Rogers LOVES) which will then open up other areas of the field for guys like Conklin to get those easy 6-10 yard plays just because of Rogers recognition at the LOS.

If this was 2010 where a team played in 2 or 3 WR sets, then Corley probably wouldnt get as much run because he does need to develop route running in order to be a complete package but hes really not going to be asked to do that in 2024.

If healthy we could put out a group of GW, Corley, WIlliams, Ruckert and Breece which would really stress a defense as far as what they need to watch for and would allow us to create some confusion that allows for big plays.  Thats going to be his role vs a traditional day 1 slot WR.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

Corley route tree is basically running 1 yard and wait for the screen to develop, he might be slower than JSN

It’s easier to throw Corley in and give him some easy catches and let him run for yac than it is for most wrs to come in and learn timing routes.  Defenses will have enough to worry about with all the other weapons the jets have (can’t believe i wrote this) and Corley will be guarded by a 3rd or 4th cb.  He can produce if used correctly.

11 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Mr. 3y / 45M already in mid season form 😂

In total, he completed 5 of 8 passes in 11-on-11 drills. He also missed on some throws in passing drills early in practice intended for Irv Charles and Jason Brownlee. Lazard also dropped a pass from Taylor.

Praying Corley quickly becomes our number 3 and that Mike Williams is healthy to start the season.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think there are a few things missing from this Corley debate.

First off, the learning curve thing, while correct, isnt really going to be applicable unless we have a bunch of injuries.  In 2024, the jets are going to as Corley to do what he did in college and not much more.  Rogers said yesterday that Corley was his favorite WR in the draft, "not because there werent guys ranked ahead of him but because of what his skillset and attitude could do for the team."

Corley's measurement this year shouldnt be his cumulative stats, it should be how he impacts the team.  Does he have 1 or 2 plays a game where he makes an impact play that displays why he was selected.  To me, his presence is going to force the defense to account for him on bubble screens and short slants (throws that Rogers LOVES) which will then open up other areas of the field for guys like Conklin to get those easy 6-10 yard plays just because of Rogers recognition at the LOS.

If this was 2010 where a team played in 2 or 3 WR sets, then Corley probably wouldnt get as much run because he does need to develop route running in order to be a complete package but hes really not going to be asked to do that in 2024.

If healthy we could put out a group of GW, Corley, WIlliams, Ruckert and Breece which would really stress a defense as far as what they need to watch for and would allow us to create some confusion that allows for big plays.  Thats going to be his role vs a traditional day 1 slot WR.

Well stated.  I agree w/ all of this and it supports why I do think we should temper expectations from a cumulative stats perspective and focus on impact w/ the opportunities given but even if they ask him to do what he did in college, it's hard IMO to project how that will work in the NFL.  As @T0mShane pointed out above, Corley's level of comp was really bad.  Like, when you put his film on, the teams they play, the talent, is truly awful.  I could be wrong but I dont think a single defender from Conference USA was drafted this year.  It's like watching Zach Wilson at BYU.  You're watching these flashy plays but if you focus in on what the D is doing, you're left scratching your head and you start to wonder and doubt that this will translate.  I like Corley a lot but I'm not 100% sure he's going to be able to run through and around defenders like he did in college. 

Then you throw in the wonky system, the formations, the way they schemed and manufactured touches, the way they take advantage of the ability to advance the LOS more in college than you can in the NFL, the way the hash marks are defended, who Corley is going to see guarding him vs college, what the middle of an NFL field looks like vs. a conference where not a single defender was drafted?  lol  Corley has a massive learning curve.  I dont know how to state this any better. @slats❤️ 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

🫢

IMG_5235.jpeg

wtf happened against Arizona?

Glad we dodged this guy. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Well stated.  I agree w/ all of this and it supports why I do think we should temper expectations from a cumulative stats perspective and focus on impact w/ the opportunities given but even if they ask him to do what he did in college, it's hard IMO to project how that will work in the NFL.  As @T0mShane pointed out above, Corley's level of comp was really bad.  Like, when you put his film on, the teams they play, the talent, is truly awful.  I could be wrong but I dont think a single defender from Conference USA was drafted this year.  It's like watching Zach Wilson at BYU.  You're watching these flashy plays but if you focus in on what the D is doing, you're left scratching your head and you start to wonder and doubt that this will translate.  I like Corley a lot but I'm not 100% sure he's going to be able to run through and around defenders like he did in college. 

Then you throw in the wonky system, the formations, the way they schemed and manufactured touches, the way they take advantage of the ability to advance the LOS more in college than you can in the NFL, the way the hash marks are defended, who Corley is going to see guarding him vs college, what the middle of an NFL field looks like vs. a conference where not a single defender was drafted?  lol  Corley has a massive learning curve.  I dont know how to state this any better. @slats❤️ 

NFL graveyards are littered with bulky RB-like receivers who bullied college CBs but never translated to the pros because NFL DBs are superhuman size/strength athletes. If the Jets think they’re getting Deebo Samuel with Corley, he’ll be wasted. The optimistic comp should be what the Packers do with Jayden Reed, but Reed was a much more well-rounded college receiver than I think Corley was. 

14 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The analytics community also thinks WR > LT.

The key with the offensive line is to have 5 guys that are at least average. With the WR position though, you want those elite guys. They are game changers.

My view is

QB > CB/WR > OT/Edge

With corner, we saw the impact. Revis elevated our team. A LT is not doing that because if another OL sucks, the entire line gets brought down. At WR, a guy like Tyreek Hill can blow the game wide open. You have to gameplay against those guys.

Couldn’t disagree more.  The team that wins the battle of the line of scrimmage will usually win the game.  There are dozens of good WRs out there but it seems as though most of the big guys prefer to play defense, making good olinemen in short supply.  I’d draft 2-3 olineman every year and at least 1 in the first 2 rounds every other year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

During Corley's time at WKU, they played Big Ten and/or SEC schools every year.  In 2021, they played Indiana and Michigan St. in back-to-back games.  Against Indiana he had 9 receptions for 70 yards and a TD.  Those were the most receptions he had in any game that season.  Versus Michigan St. he had 7 receptions for 69 yards. 7 receptions were the 2nd highest total he had in games that season and equaled that in two other games.  In 2022, they played Indiana and Auburn.  Versus Indiana, he had 8 receptions for 77 yards and rushed once for 8 yards.  Versus Auburn, he had 12 receptions for 99 yards and one rush for 11 yards.  That was the most receptions he had against any opponent that season.  In 2023, WKU played Ohio St.  In that game, he had 8 receptions for 88 yards, a TD and 1 rush for 0 yards.  I have read that Ohio St. was double and triple teaming/covering him in that game and he still averaged 11 ypc in spite of most of his passes being around the LOS.  The 8 receptions and the 88 yards were both the 3rd highest totals he had for that season.  He plays well in big games, and he was basically the only player on WKU that other teams had to worry about.  Corley also showed at the Sr. Bowl that he could play with the players from bigger schools and at a higher level of competition.

Odunzee is an outside WR rather than a slot WR and has better size.  He played against a tougher/higher level of competition than Corley, so he should have been ranked higher than Corley.  The two WRs have different skill sets and both can be very good players in the NFL.  Odunze was the better prospect, he just wasn't the right pick for the Jets.  The thing is, while the Jets needed another WR (maybe two), they didn't need another #1 WR (as that would be a luxury, and with their cap issues going forward, they were never going to be able to pay both G. Wilson and Odunze), and more importantly, the Jets had to get a quality LT prospect in this draft that could play at a pretty high level when Smith goes down with injury and then can start going forward.

I understand why you love Odunze and wanted him.  If the Jets hadn't desperately needed a quality young OT to start, I would have loved to add Odunze, but the reality is that the Jets needed a LT more than they needed a WR, and in terms of team building and protecting Rodgers, Taking Fashanu was definitely the right thing to do and Odunze should never have been a consideration.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

NFL graveyards are littered with bulky RB-like receivers who bullied college CBs but never translated to the pros because NFL DBs are superhuman size/strength athletes. If the Jets think they’re getting Deebo Samuel with Corley, he’ll be wasted. The optimistic comp should be what the Packers do with Jayden Reed, but Reed was a much more well-rounded college receiver than I think Corley was. 

I would think nfl scouts would reconsider how they look at wrs particularly after how wrong they all were with jeudy.  He had the measureables, resume, pedigree and was considered an extremely refined route runner.  Yet his value and production is that of a decent jag.  And why?  It’s b/c the whole refined route running thing is overvalued.  Despite being tall enough and fast enough, as you noted nfl dbs are superhuman and are physically more imposing than guys like jeudy.   So how does a wr really add value in today’s nfl where defensive players are as big and fast as the offensive guys?  Well, you can be like garrett wilson and simply be a superior athlete.  You watched him immediately and knew he was an elite athlete who could create separation.  If you can’t do that, maybe you’re really tall and can outjump dbs.  Or maybe you can box them out.  

1st round wr need to be elite and create on their own.  WRs taken down the line just need to be good enough at something to be the 2 or 3 wr.  Also helps to have a qb who can get you the ball w/o a bounce. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The 2 most common mock draft scenarios I came up with before the draft.

• Bronx changed the title to OTAs 2024, Days 1-3