How much should Rodgers play in the pre-season?

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs approach to preseason has always been bad. He didn’t play a rookie Zach Wilson who desperately needed reps in a preseason game because it was raining. 

considering how out of sync Rodgers looked before he got hurt- would like to see him throw 40-50 passes over the 3 preaseason games. Maybe one game play two full quarters. I’d even consider him coming out for one drive in the 3rd. The preseason matters.

40-50 passes? lol

If you had to guess - What percentage of starting NFL QBs do you think get 40-50 passes in a given preseason? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

56 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

40-50 passes? lol

If you had to guess - What percentage of starting NFL QBs do you think get 40-50 passes in a given preseason? 

How many starters are 40 coming off an Achilles? He needs the live reps. If not, they’ll get slaughtered week 1.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs approach to preseason has always been bad. He didn’t play a rookie Zach Wilson who desperately needed reps in a preseason game because it was raining. 

considering how out of sync Rodgers looked before he got hurt- would like to see him throw 40-50 passes over the 3 preaseason games. Maybe one game play two full quarters. I’d even consider him coming out for one drive in the 3rd. The preseason matters.

This isn’t the 80s.  There is no fathomable reason why he needs to play 2 and change in one preseason game or throw 40-50 passes in the preseason.

I’m ok with playing him a little bit, but this is a hilarious viewpoint.  Especially the part where you compare a rookie Zach Wilson needing reps and a HoF QB who is running his own show on offense.  The preseason means absolutely nothing and there is absolutely zero chance this happens.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This isn’t the 80s.  There is no fathomable reason why he needs to play 2 and change in one preseason game or throw 40-50 passes in the preseason.

I’m ok with playing him a little bit, but this is a hilarious viewpoint.  Especially the part where you compare a rookie Zach Wilson needing reps and a HoF QB who is running his own show on offense.  The preseason means absolutely nothing and there is absolutely zero chance this happens.

IMG_0803.gif

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

How many starters are 40 coming off an Achilles? He needs the live reps. If not, they’ll get slaughtered week 1.

I’d give him some reps, but what happened to Rodgers last year could have happened to anyone at anytime. If he plays a bunch in the preseason, maybe it happens BEFORE week 1? Or maybe it doesn’t happen at all? Who knows. My guess is that, given the calf injury he sustained in camp, it was always probably coming on any kind of play where he got caught in the turf like he did. 

Bottom line: I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Aaron Rodgers to have 50 passing attempts in the preseason. 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There is no point to practice.

College football has existed for decades without a preseason. 

Mccay doesn't play his starters in the preseason 

I never said don't practice. But I'm not really into some 7th Rd guy on steroids trying to make a name for himself hitting my QB 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs that ever lived.  He doesn't need to throw a ten yard out in preseason dude

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’d give him some reps, but what happened to Rodgers last year could have happened to anyone at anytime. If he plays a bunch in the preseason, maybe it happens BEFORE week 1? Or maybe it doesn’t happen at all? Who knows. My guess is that, given the calf injury he sustained in camp, it was always probably coming on any kind of play where he got caught in the turf like he did. 

Bottom line: I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Aaron Rodgers to have 50 passing attempts in the preseason. 

It only would've happened to us. 

Brett Favre and Josh Allen can dive head first into a linebacker in their 30s and nothing happens....the jets QB would blow out his knee giving a frickin handoff 

I think it’d be a great idea to run Aaron Rodgers out there with a brand spanking new offensive line group (where both tackles won’t practice during the week) and with a brand spanking new receiving corps after a summer of Twinkie munch Saleh Summer Camp and expect positive results. Especially considering Rodgers is going to be running the offense from under center all by himself. What could go wrong. Yes. Let’s ensure that the first time he has to buckle his chinstrap in over a calendar year is when he’s facing Nick Bosa. That’d be swell. Football is like riding a bike haha

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

23 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The last time Aaron Rodgers played in a preseason game was August 16th 2018. Pre-Covid and Pre two MVPs.

How many snaps will he take in the preseason? Zero

How many snaps should he take? 1 series maybe. But I'm fine with zero.

That was written before he played the Giants... almost forgot he did play preseason last year.

Aaron Rodgers made his debut in a Jets uniform Saturday night and the summer results were favorable as the Green & White downed the cross-town Giants, 32-24, at MetLife Stadium. The Jets finished the preseason with a 2-2 record and have high hopes ahead with Rodgers leading a talented club intent on challenging in the AFC.

In two series of action, Rodgers completed 5-of-passes 8 for 47 yards and his evening ended on a gorgeous 14-yard toss to Garrett Wilson for a score coming against Gemon Green.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

I never said don't practice. But I'm not really into some 7th Rd guy on steroids trying to make a name for himself hitting my QB 

Preseason is just another cash cow for the owners 

20 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

There is no point to preseason. 

Yes there is.

Fill 80,000 seat stadiums for 4 games to watch mostly practice squad guys play a glorified scrimmage.  gate receipts, concessions, the tv money goes directly to the owners I believe with no revenue sharing unlike regular season games

Cha ching

• Upvote 1

Just now, David Harris said:

Whatever Brady did in Tampa.

Why not  reverse it and have our starters play the 4th quarter against their scrubs to get some gametime and low chance of injury

I want Tyron Smith to play one series in preseason and that’s it.  Fashuanu can play the entire 4 games.

25 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

One drive week one of preseason.  And I don’t care if it’s a three and out. No more 

Then what’s the point of him playing that one drive.  
One drive will add nothing to Rodgers, the OL, O or the Jets. 

Rodgers is washed. I predict bad games, the media piling on him, reporters will start asking him purposefully obnoxious questions like “are you disappointed you haven’t been able to replicate Tom Brady’s success with a new team?” He’ll start throwing players under the bus to protect himself. Locker will meltdown. Season will be over by week 10 depending when you get your Bye. 

Also, even prime-Rodgers took a lot of sacks outside the pocket instead of risking not throwing the perfect pass in clutch-time. That’s why he only has one ring. Easier to watch the media blame 52 other guys then be on the hook for throwing a game winning TD/game losing interception. 

I expect that trait to x4 in his Twilight years.

Maybe you’ll win the Super Bowl though.

• Post of the Week 1

Actually who does play QB in preseason games. You don't want to use Rodgers same goes for Taylor also off of injuries and a vet you hope doesn't get injured. The rookie who you'd like to see is prob not ready to play and you want to break him in slowly after his serious injury. So we're talking 4th or 5th stringers who'll get good chances to make the team. 

The preseason has changed so much recently that it really doesn’t matter they get more experience with the scrimmages against other teams and in practice my personal opinion is he shouldn’t play in the preseason at all until we play the Giants in the last preseason game of the season and he should probably play The first half to get ready for the following week the 49ers there’s no need to put them in games one and two at all the guys playing that game. You’re not gonna know when the season starts. They’ll be working at Walmart. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

they get more experience with the scrimmages against other teams and in practice

Cimini made this point about joint practices and their increasing popularity; the structured/controlled environment of joint practices allows your starters to get meaningful work against other teams with a much lower risk of injury. Jets are having joint practices with all of their preseason opponents. Rodgers can get most of his reps in during those practices while his collection of backups can handle the live preseason bullets. I think it’s safe to assume that Rodgers is familiar with the speed of the NFL. 

On 5/24/2024 at 9:27 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Yeah about 1 or 2 series...that's it. Nothing else needed.

I totally disagree. One can't make decisions based on fear.  There's no way 1-2 series will be enough for Rodgers to knock off the rust and get the OL and the rest of the offense in sync with that little time.  If he only plays 1-2 series, then Jets could very well wind up 0-3 to begin the season.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:01 AM, slimjasi said:

I thought what they did last year was fine 

none of these veteran QBs play extensively in the preseason 

Rodgers has a lot of rust from not playing last season.  We have 3, probably 4 new starters on the OL in week one and could have 1-2 new starters at WR.  IMO what they did last year was in no way sufficient.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:55 AM, Jet Nut said:

Rodgers got hurt because his foot and leg were caught in the wrong position.  Blaming it on him trying to complete a longer pass than the short pass is the ultimate game of second guessing.  Then to extend it to blaming his lack of preseason time is crazy.  What would he gain beyond what he got in practice time?   
We're just looking for reasons, ignoring what was right in front of us.  It’s football, shlt happens. 

Rodgers has rust to knock off.  He and the offense could gain a lot in terms of precision, execution, and chemistry.  Playing in a live game is different than playing in practice where the QB can't be touched.

• Upvote 2

On 5/25/2024 at 2:34 PM, slimjasi said:

40-50 passes? lol

Who cares what other teams do? It's only important that the Jets do what they NEED to do to be ready to play at a high level in game 1.  One should not coach and make decisions based upon fear.  With the new CBA teams don't get enough reps/practice in pads.  I'd rather have them hit the ground running in game one, rather than struggling to get their chemistry and timing down for several games.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 5/25/2024 at 7:01 PM, Testaverde9819 said:

If the Jets' starting OL can't block a 7th round pick, then Rodgers and the season are over before it starts.

• Upvote 1