Another Good Piece from Cimini

5 minutes ago, addage said:

Positive, but not over-the-top.

Especially like the part about Saleh.  He's certainly made his share of mistakes while "learning on the job".  But I've always thought he has the making of an outstanding NFL head coach.  

Hope he proves me right this year!

Best, young hc in the league.  Hed have multiple playoff appearance as a jet hc if we had an even semi functional qb.

Just like every jet fan demanding ulbrich be fired a year ago and now crickets, same will happen with saleh after we win the division this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Rex Ryan all over again.

A defensive head coach who finally in year 4 or 5 decides he needs to pay attention to the offense, mainly because he has an oc who is beyond awful and he finally realizes you have to play offense to win in this league.

Can't wait for the red, yellow, green head coach play sheet to back into being.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

great article. my 2 cents.

1. great to hear Saleh getting more involved in the offense. hopefully this will make him grown as a HC. this is his 4th year which many HCs dont see if they dont win. sometimes just like with players they need more time.

2. who cares about joint practices...

3. nobody knows better at what WR they want more than the QB. it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

4. yeah this is a problem playing 3 times in 10 days for a 40 yr old QB. but at least he played well when he did do it at 27 yrs old. thats better than sucking at it at 27 yrs old.

5. i hate London....Munich...Mexico and anywhere else they force them to play outside of the US. this kind of travel takes it toll on these players especially flying to Europe.

6. pretty cool. now lets hope they stay on the field all year. i love the part about Smith and Mosses teaching the young guys. this is why you sign older vets who are pass their prime sometimes. what they could teach the kids this year is worth there weight in gold. even if they miss alot of time. 

7. i like this Safety room. i think it will be better than we think.

8. just to point out before people cry about this we were just as bad vs the run when Huff was in there.

9. i said it before when some of you were worried about DL or Safety. on defense Saleh will find some UDFA and he will play just fine. lets hope im right about this....

10. 👍

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, addage said:

Positive, but not over-the-top.

Especially like the part about Saleh.  He's certainly made his share of mistakes while "learning on the job".  But I've always thought he has the making of an outstanding NFL head coach.  

Hope he proves me right this year!

image.gif.92a3d96306301de72048bf23068b174d.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, addage said:

3. QB/scout: Rodgers, in an interview with the Official Jets Podcast, called Malachi Corley "my favorite receiver in the draft." That comment will raise eyebrows, considering Corley was the 12th wide receiver drafted, taken at the top of the third round.

"Now, he might not have been the best on paper in the draft," Rodgers went on to say, "but I really felt like he was going to fit in with what we're trying to do -- his mindset, his ferocity."

No doubt, the front office was aware of Rodgers' affinity for Corley, which might explain why it traded up to get him.

IMG_8432.thumb.jpeg.c0b5bb1e4f2f0024a74b936144c78805.jpeg

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, addage said:

8. Shrinking end: The Jets are giving up a lot of size at defensive end, going from John Franklin-Myers (288 pounds) to Haason Reddick (240). That could be a problem for the run defense. Reddick is "a little undersized," said defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, who believes he compensates with leverage and hand placement. Worth noting: The Philadelphia Eagles were better against the run when Reddick wasn't on the field (3.8 yards per rush) than when he was on it (4.5).

I can definitely see Reddick playing more of the Huff role.  2nd and long and 3rd down guy, but not a liability in the run game if he gets stuck in a no huddle offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Rex Ryan all over again.

A defensive head coach who finally in year 4 or 5 decides he needs to pay attention to the offense, mainly because he has an oc who is beyond awful and he finally realizes you have to play offense to win in this league.

“Needs to be involved with the offense” is just code for the QB sucks, please do something, we’re running out of excuses. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Rex Ryan all over again.

So what's your backup plan for the fall? Some sh*tty Canadian Football?

• Haha 3

A little bit of a crock about saleh having give and take about how to call a play against cover three.  Rodgers has seen quite a few cover three formations over his career.  I doubt saleh has a clue as to where to go with the ball.  Much as saleh needed to get involved with the offense it was more about making sure milfy was holding the offense and coaches accountable .  And saleh should know what kinds of offenses give his defense alignment fits.  He hasn’t shown it in three seasons.  It’s doubtful he’ll do it now.

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

A little bit of a crock about saleh having give and take about how to call a play against cover three.  Rodgers has seen quite a few cover three formations over his career.  I doubt saleh has a clue as to where to go with the ball.  Much as saleh needed to get involved with the offense it was more about making sure milfy was holding the offense and coaches accountable .  And saleh should know what kinds of offenses give his defense alignment fits.  He hasn’t shown it in three seasons.  It’s doubtful he’ll do it now.

Saleh was a tight end in college.  He understands offense just fine.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Because Rodgers is in over his head like Sanchez.

We're comparing Rodgers, his knowledge of the game, his HOF career to Mark Sanchez?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, doitny said:

great article. my 2 cents.

2. who cares about joint practices...

10. 👍

Good response.  I agree that we fans could care less about joint practices, but not the coaches and GM.

Within the pool of players in any given years, there are going to be subtle currents in which players shade their play to make others look better and have an increased chance to make the final 53.  The obvious one--vets vs rookies.  Help your teammate stave off one of the younger players.

All that goes away when you play another franchise.  They are looking out for themselves, not their wanna be teammates.

So the coaches get a much more objective view of their players.  Has to help their evaluations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, addage said:

Good response.  I agree that we fans could care less about joint practices, but not the coaches and GM.

Within the pool of players in any given years, there are going to be subtle currents in which players shade their play to make others look better and have an increased chance to make the final 53.  The obvious one--vets vs rookies.  Help your teammate stave off one of the younger players.

All that goes away when you play another franchise.  They are looking out for themselves, not their wanna be teammates.

So the coaches get a much more objective view of their players.  Has to help their evaluations.

I disagree with this.  That doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would a player change his play to help another player, unless that player was a good friend or something?  Similarly, why would a player shade his play to help a veteran who may not be as good or as talented as the rookie?  There may be some of that going on, but I doubt that there's much of that going on.  If I'm wrong and players do this a lot, then they're stupid, because they may be hurting their team if they're trying to help an older, lesser player who's a veteran over a rookie who's better and could quite possibly help the team more that season, and going forward.

One of the cardinal mistakes that Hot Young Coordinators make when they become head coaches is that they decide that they’re gonna run things the cool way and give their opposite side of the ball coordinator autonomy to run their own show. “When I’m in charge, everyone gets a say, man.” I do find it amusing that the switch is being made now as a result of Woody (and presumably Douglas) deciding that’s what Saleh was going to have to start doing after three years of bottom-two offense. And considering the problems LaFleur was having from a personality standpoint keeping guys like Becton, Zach, Elijah Moore, etc productive and in line, how does Saleh see all that and still stay hands-off, leaving LaFleur to handle all that bullsh*t without some oversight? Granted, Saleh has shown no capacity to keep aberrant players in line and, notably, Becton punked him at every turn. What a mess. 

I do appreciate Rodgers’ comments  that make Saleh sound like some clever analytics intern that they allow to sit in on offensive meetings, though. The “he sits off the left and says some interesting things” stuff is awesome. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

One of the cardinal mistakes that Hot Young Coordinators make when they become head coaches is that they decide that they’re gonna run things the cool way and give their opposite side of the ball coordinator autonomy to run their own show. “When I’m in charge, everyone gets a say, man.” I do find it amusing that the switch is being made now as a result of Woody (and presumably Douglas) deciding that’s what Saleh was going to have to start doing after three years of bottom-two offense. And considering the problems LaFleur was having from a personality standpoint keeping guys like Becton, Zach, Elijah Moore, etc productive and in line, how does Saleh see all that and still stay hands-off, leaving LaFleur to handle all that bullsh*t without some oversight? Granted, Saleh has shown no capacity to keep aberrant players in line and, notably, Becton punked him at every turn. What a mess. 

I do appreciate Rodgers’ comments  that make Saleh sound like some clever analytics intern that they allow to sit in on offensive meetings, though. The “he sits off the left and says some interesting things” stuff is awesome. 

“You know Aaron, placement is really critical on those back shoulders throws”.

• Haha 2

This is the least enthusiastic that I have been about an upcoming Jets season since the mid-70s'. Last season I knew every player and had done research on all of our draft picks, this season with all the "Aaron Rodgers is going to get us to the Super Bowl" bullcrap isn't grabbing me at all. I'm going to have to see if he can last through the month of September first before I let myself get drawn in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

“You know Aaron, placement is really critical on those back shoulders throws”.

No No No Went more like this

Saleh: Hey guys did you know that even a fly cant hear its own fart?  Well fellas we need to be like a fly fart thats how we win when nobody hears us coming

rest of the room

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611xc6gv2wazaipo1ef4

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

No No No Went more like this

Saleh: Hey guys did you know that even a fly cant hear its own fart?  Well fellas we need to be like a fly fart thats how we win when nobody hears us coming

rest of the room

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611xc6gv2wazaipo1ef4

Are you a, uh, commander? A, uh, commander is a person who, uh, leads by example and uh remains focused on, uh,

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Could you imagine what it would’ve been like to get your first head coaching job, not want the team to draft Zach Wilson, then get saddled with him and no alternative better than Mike White? I might have thrown myself into focusing on the side of the ball I coached before too.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

When u r a miserable jet fan, that is what you get out of it.

The disease……

Joe w what is the cure for the disease? You had it bad from oct-jan. I though u would die.

what did u take 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Could you imagine what it would’ve been like to get your first head coaching job, not want the team to draft Zach Wilson, then get saddled with him and no alternative better than Mike White? I might have thrown myself into focusing on the side of the ball I coached before too.

I’ve always wondered how or why Saleh would sign on to that plan in his first job. Surely, it was a point of discussion during the interview process, and Douglas supposedly had his heart set on drafting Zach long before Saleh was even hired, but wouldn’t you, as a new head coach, at the very least want a viable veteran QB? Especially if, as has been speculated, Saleh wasn’t too hyped about Zach to begin with? 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve always wondered how or why Saleh would sign on to that plan in his first job. Surely, it was a point of discussion during the interview process, and Douglas supposedly had his heart set on drafting Zach long before Saleh was even hired, but wouldn’t you, as a new head coach, at the very least want a viable veteran QB? Especially if, as has been speculated, Saleh wasn’t too hyped about Zach to begin with? 

I dont buy Saleh nor MILF were against ZW ...looking back at those 1JD videos they all seemed giddy.  Plus Saleh has an arrogance in him where he believe he can motivate anyone to be the next super star - he believes football 95% coaching and 5% players when he came in and soon realized it the other way around.

Tell you what tho I will deny that I threw them all under bus if they win superbowl with AR.