Waddle 3 Yr / 84.75 Mil / 76 Mil Gtd.

MIAMI -- The Dolphins agreed to a contract extension Thursday with Jaylen Waddle that makes him one of the highest-paid wide receivers in the NFL.

The three-year, $84.75 million extension includes $76 million guaranteed, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter. The $28.25 million average annual value of the extension is the fourth-highest in the NFL among wide receivers, while the guaranteed money is the third behind A.J. Brown ($84 million) and Amon-Ra St. Brown ($77 million).

That's a lot of money for your #2 WR. How much is Jefferson going to make?

• Upvote 1

This contract is a tiny bit better in terms of real money than Tyreek’s. Hill’s deal averages $30M by virtue of a $43M last year that he’ll never see, otherwise it’s a straight $25M/year. In fact, this is the last year Hill has any new guaranteed money, and he has already started tweeting about getting paid again. This could easily start increasing the grumbling. Before this extension, the fish were just $1.8M under the cap. 

• Upvote 4

It's an extension - is it on top of the option year or just on top of this year?

OH.

OTC has it as 3 years after the option year (2025). So yeah, it's 28.25M per in 2026-2029 - but only after just 17M in cash for 2024 & 2025. And by the time 2026 rolls around, he can be cut to save 9M, and in 2027 he can be cut to save 20M in cap - so either WR numbers will have continued to grow and he'll be a bargain, or they'll have leverage to renegotiate. This is a good deal for them, and a model the Jets absolutely should look to follow with Wilson, Sauce, and JJ

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Garrett Wilson is going to get PAIIIIIIIID.

At least 3-90

That is an awful contract for Waddle.   He is in no way an elite WR, just throwing away money.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Sorry, I strongly diasagree

I don't think Waddle is a difference maker, he isn't worth that kind of money.

Maybe if he was a number 1 his numbers would be different, but for a #2 the guy he has some really impressive stats. Maybe that's a product of McDaniel's offense but still, impressive. My guess is they see him as their future #1 and wanted to secure him now at a lower price than what #1 receivers will be getting 2-3 years from now.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

100%.  If this leads to them moving on from Hill early, this is a great signing for the rest of the division.

• Upvote 3

I don't see it as so bad for MIA.  Waddle has been good all three years.  And in his rookie year, he was the WR1 and had good numbers, especially for a rookie.  He has a 69.5% Catch % over the three years.  Nothing really suggests he can't step back into the WR1 role after Hill is gone. 

As much as I hate to say it, he may be very good for a while for them.  Now I just hope they blink and overpay Tua, crippling their cap for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 2

Waddle put up similar numbers as tyreek.  This is tyreeks third season and he’s getting into his thirties.  It’ll be interesting if the doltfins renegotiate tyreek or just release him when his money gets excessive.  The thing is both of these guys are very similar in size and ability.  They work well together.  What happens to waddle if tyreek isn’t there.

42 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Maybe if he was a number 1 his numbers would be different, but for a #2 the guy he has some really impressive stats. Maybe that's a product of McDaniel's offense but still, impressive. My guess is they see him as their future #1 and wanted to secure him now at a lower price than what #1 receivers will be getting 2-3 years from now.

On most teams Waddle is a number 1. Fins just happen to have a top 3 WR on their team.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Garrett Wilson is going to get PAIIIIIIIID.

He's not Waddle quite yet.

But yes, especially if he has a great season this year with Rodgers, he's going to want top money I have no doubt.

I think he's worth it, but will JD?

17 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Is Wilson really that much better than Waddle? Seem pretty comparable to me.

He could get less than Waddle and be the highest paid position player on the team.

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Doesn't Miami still have to pay Tua as well?  This should be fun for them.

As a Jets fan I sure hope they pay Tua.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's not Waddle quite yet.

But yes, especially if he has a great season this year with Rodgers, he's going to want top money I have no doubt.

I think he's worth it, but will JD?

We won't know if he's worth it or not until we seem him play with an NFL quality QB. He's shown that he can put up compiler type numbers with a lousy QB and a zillion targets. I think we really have to wait until we see what he does with even average QB play before we crown him a top 5 WR. Hopefully his numbers will be outstanding and I think they will be. 

46 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

On most teams Waddle is a number 1. Fins just happen to have a top 3 WR on their team.

Yeah, but......

I would take him on the Patriots in a heartbeat.  

Is he a top 5 WR?  I do not think so.  He is going to get paid as one.  Maybe, by the time it kicks in he is a bargain.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

Hes had 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons to start his career.  Are you a fan of garrett wilson?  Cause if you dont think waddle isnt worth that money then you must think garrett isnt worth that money either.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes had 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons to start his career.  Are you a fan of garrett wilson?  Cause if you dont think waddle isnt worth that money then you must think garrett isnt worth that money either.

Less than zero

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Doing it with Zach Wilson and chicken sh*t next to you is a bit different than having a 1st ballot HOF taking away the focus of the defense. 

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Doing it with Zach Wilson and chicken sh*t next to you is a bit different than having a 1st ballot HOF taking away the focus of the defense. 

Yeah, DeVante Parker really gifted Waddle that 1,000 yard season in 2021.