Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

-Saleh very, very involved with offense once again. Evidently a major focus for him to be monitoring all aspects of the team.

Saleh finally starting to realize (in year 4) that he was hired to be a HC, instead of just a DC?

as a former college TE, I'd say we're in good hands.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Stiggers too 

Yeah; it was tough to pick which one to highlight but, truth be told, Stiggers is the bigger surprise for me.  He seems to be playing exceptionally well at a tougher position than RB.

• Upvote 4

Very interesting to see Cohen getting touches with the 1s right out of the gate.  Perhaps I was wrong saying I don't think he makes the team.

The new backfield has the potential to be special.  A Breece/Allen one two punch with a back to form Cohen as the change of pace will be very difficult to stop.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Biggest individual player takeaway (non-Rodgers): Braelon Allen sounds like a really good find so far.

Are the Jets still considering a legit WR via trade? 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

-Saleh very, very involved with offense once again. Evidently a major focus for him to be monitoring all aspects of the team.

Saleh finally starting to realize (in year 4) that he was hired to be a HC, instead of just a DC?

Well in fairness,  it’s year 4 and some still think Saleh had been the DC of the Jets when for all of those years the DC has been Ulbrich

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know that I’d kick too much dirt on Izzy yet, at least until we see these guys run against full contact. Every back looks like a stud in shorts and shells. Izzy’s advantage over the two new guys is that he has the requisite juice to break the line of scrimmage on any given play, and that might make the difference when the pads go on. IMO Izzy’s problem is that he seems to suck at every other part of the game, especially in pass pro, and there’s obvious urgency to keep Rodgers from getting killed by free rushers. Weird choice to look to two rookies to fulfill that responsibility, but alas. 

I was hoping Izzy would have a breakout 2nd year, and I suppose it's still possible, but when the team that drafted you follows that up by drafting 2 rookies the following year, it's never a good sign. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I foresee many DNP’s in Lazard’s future. If Rodgers is having to berate him for effort and focus issues at this point in the preseason, it stands to reason that Lazard is just all the way checked out. Probably why they’re giving Yeboah all these looks, because he can serve as your big WR4 while also providing value on specials. 

I think he’s fighting for a roster spot. Post June 1 it’s just 0 cap savings to get rid of him. If he’s not going to get on the field on offense, not like he adds ST value - which is why he was a health scratch multiple times last year. And he’s getting cut after this year regardless. I think he’s going to have a hard time showing he’s more valuable than some of the other bubble guys honestly.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know that I’d kick too much dirt on Izzy yet, at least until we see these guys run against full contact. Every back looks like a stud in shorts and shells. Izzy’s advantage over the two new guys is that he has the requisite juice to break the line of scrimmage on any given play, and that might make the difference when the pads go on. IMO Izzy’s problem is that he seems to suck at every other part of the game, especially in pass pro, and there’s obvious urgency to keep Rodgers from getting killed by free rushers. Weird choice to look to two rookies to fulfill that responsibility, but alas. 

This. I like Izzy, but predicted pre-draft Izzy won't make the 53 based soley on his struggles picking up blitzers, stunts, etc. 

• Upvote 1

LaMichael perine.....yay Douglas is a gud!

Perine stinks......Booo but Douglas traded for Robinson so he is gud!

Robinson stinks....Boooo but Douglas picked Abankanaa!  Yay!

Abanakanda stinks Noooo but douglas picked two more rbs and singed a vet, yay!  Dogulas is gud!

Never has a gm been praised so much for utterly striking out badly on players year after year then having rose petals at his feet for drafting a new guy like a year after his utter bust pick.

Even non drafted players:  Average dumb fan "Morgan Moses was good we should keep him!"  Douglas dumps him a year or so later We have trade for morgan moses!  Yay Douglas!

Braden Mann 100% totally stinks but gets hurt, bring in Morestead, average dumb fan  "Morestead is VASTLY better than Jag Mann, Douglas dumps him and keeps mann.  A year or so later.  Jets sign morestead "Yay Shrewd Douglas fixes our punting game!  Throw more rose petals!

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, derp said:

I think he’s fighting for a roster spot. Post June 1 it’s just 0 cap savings to get rid of him. If he’s not going to get on the field on offense, not like he adds ST value - which is why he was a health scratch multiple times last year. And he’s getting cut after this year regardless. I think he’s going to have a hard time showing he’s more valuable than some of the other bubble guys honestly.

It’d be such an interesting about-face. Bringing in all these guys at the behest of Rodgers last year to dumping every last one after a single season. 

• Upvote 1

• Lith changed the title to Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)