Hypothetical: Who Would You Trade?

Hypothetical: Who Would You Trade?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you trade?

This is a hypothetical and you must trade one.

We drafted Sauce, G. Wilson, J Johnson and Breece Hall in 2022. Assume they've all remained healthy and continue to ascend as players. Joe Douglas is in the difficult situation of having to trade one of them in order to save that sweet, sweet cap space. 

Who would you trade and why?

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Breece because rb is the easiest position to fill

This was basically my thought process, although elite RBs like Breece are not easy to find.  Still, if the OL is fixed/on it's way to being fixed, and you have a solid QB, you should be able to get good production out of even a decent RB.  

No way I trade Sauce or Garrett.  Elite players at premium skill positions.  JJ is the only other guy I'd consider, but he's just too good in every aspect of the game.

Hopefully it's all moot and we don't have to trade any of them anytime soon.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

First, this is a awful decision to make.  My vote would be to trade Johnson, since the other 3 could end up being All Pro candidates for the majority of their careers, and Johnson is not in that category in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is a hypothetical and you must trade one.

We drafted Sauce, G. Wilson, J Johnson and Breece Hall in 2022. Assume they've all remained healthy and continue to ascend as players. Joe Douglas is in the difficult situation of having to trade one of them in order to save that sweet, sweet cap space. 

Who would you trade and why?

Hall because, as most agree when their 2nd contracts come up, they’re more easily replaced than any of the others

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

An elite wr is much easier to find than an elite rb.

Maybe, but an elite WR will cost you at least 2x what an elite RB will cost you, and the WR will have a much greater impact on the game.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The answer is Sauce. You can get a minimum of two ones for him and the Jets play zone all day anyway. We beat the Eagles with two corners who no one can name. 

100% agreed. But if we get less for Sauce than we got for Jamal Adams you, me and  @Jetsfan80 may very well die laughing! 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, viffer said:

Maybe, but an elite WR will cost you at least 2x what an elite RB will cost you, and the WR will have a much greater impact on the game.

So you’re saying brandon aiyuk has a bigger impact on the game than mccaffery?

No way!

6 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Hall.  RB's meh.  The 49'ers gave up 4 picks to acquire McCaffery. 

4 picks, yes, but only one 2.  The rest were 3-5s, with the 5 being a year later than the other picks (2024).  Not exactly an enormous haul for the best RB in the league.  All that barely adds up to one mid-late 1st rounder on the value chart.  If that's about what we could expect for Breece, I'd rather keep him and let Rodgers pepper him with targets the next 1-2 years.

What, meanwhile, would we get for Sauce?

Breece

I love the kid, but if Douglas or whoever the GM is 2 years from now is smart, they’ll let him walk after running him into the ground on his rookie deal. Maybe franchise him for a year if we’re still in playoff contention by then, but that’s it.

8 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Hall.  RB's meh.  The 49'ers gave up 4 picks to acquire McCaffery. 

Yes and we are discussing the NFC and ATC leaders in combined yardage, like they are 100% replaceable. Yep, protect mediocrity and marginalize greatness. “Welcome to JN chilren!”

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Breece because rb is the easiest position to fill

Exactly this, plus it's also the position with the shortest shelf-life in the NFL. Teams giving RBs their big paydays often live to regret it, so get the big return, refill the position, and let someone else pay.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The answer is Sauce. You can get a minimum of two ones for him and the Jets play zone all day anyway. We beat the Eagles with two corners who no one can name. 

Well to that point you'd listen to offers for all 4, and that would definitely be a major factor to consider in which one to trade away. The only one I'd consider very likely to be untouchable unless given an absolutely insane, historic offer would be GW.

• Upvote 2

Lol people saying Sauce because we’d get the most for him is kinda funny. “Let’s trade Sauce because he’s the best one and the hardest to replace”.

If the choice was between Sauce and Tyrod Taylor, should we trade Sauce?  Jets fans are so not used to having good things. Crazy. 

• Upvote 2

Kind of a weird bunch of responses.  

Hall will be due first.  The least important and easiest to replace is Johnson, but he would probably net the least.  If the return is the same then Johnson should be the one, but it won't.  I honestly lean towards moving WIlson since WR move pretty often and more will be available, but we are so bad at getting them, so who knows.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kind of a weird bunch of responses.  

Hall will be due first.  The least important and easiest to replace is Johnson, but he would probably net the least.  If the return is the same then Johnson should be the one, but it won't.  I honestly lean towards moving WIlson since WR move pretty often and more will be available, but we are so bad at getting them, so who knows.

I thought about this a little. In all likelihood I can see him actually being the one out after requesting a trade if the offense doesn’t get it together this year.

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

I thought about this a little. In all likelihood I can see him actually being the one out after requesting a trade if the offense doesn’t get it together this year.

They often get a pretty good return.  Still, hard to honestly consider without knowing the compensation.

I'm going off the assumption Saleh and crew are still here next season...

Keep G Wilson because it's impossible for this team to find good talent on that side of the ball. 

I'd be curious to see what a contending team would give up for Breece. Late first and a third would be pretty good. 

That said - I'm trading Sauce. Give me two 1's, spend it on a QB or another WR and let's score some damn points.

50 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Lol people saying Sauce because we’d get the most for him is kinda funny. “Let’s trade Sauce because he’s the best one and the hardest to replace”.

If the choice was between Sauce and Tyrod Taylor, should we trade Sauce?  Jets fans are so not used to having good things. Crazy. 

What you're going to get in return is part of the equation so I don't know why that seems unreasonable to you.

It's not like we play a lot of man coverage. Zone corners aren't as hard to find.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I CAN NAME THEM!!

But I do agree that Sauce would make the most sense, given that you could get a haul for him and that could help you get your QB of the future if the Jordan Travis lottery ticket doesn't work out. 

But Just to reiterate - the goal is to keep all 4. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly this, plus it's also the position with the shortest shelf-life in the NFL. Teams giving RBs their big paydays often live to regret it, so get the big return, refill the position, and let someone else pay.

So since every team knows this about RBs, which team out there is giving us a “big return” on Breece, and what would that look like?

• Upvote 1

Jermaine Johnson might be the most overrated Jet on the roster. He's a nice player, but people talk about him like he's a 15 sack guy.

I'd trade Sauce. Zone corner who doesn't cause turnovers and doesn't tackle well. Again, he's a great player but due to the scheme fit + what he'd yield in a return, he makes the most sense.

• Upvote 1