Pay Dak Prescott $60 million per year, or risk QB purgatory? The clock is ticking for the Cowboys

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Could you imagine spending $60M/year for Dak?!  It's an ESPN Insider article so I didn't read anything other than the free first bit.  But the headline says it all.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/40369158/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-future-new-contract-test-free-agency-2025-offseason

image.png.5f75fc0ef3cc77518dc40c5582f1ddfb.png

Can someone post the poignant points in the article for those of us who wouldn’t give ESPN a dime. A link isn’t very helpful TT2

Hes a step above cousins but doesnt seem to have that next playoff level winning ability. Still, I would pay him. Its rare to find a decent QB these days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

well now is the time for them to see if trey lance has got anything.  Dak has very little playoff success to show for his time in dallas.  as a matter of fact, tony romo didn't do that much either.  but dak's team have been stacked on both offense and defense with nothing to show for it.  at some point the craziness of giving qb's outside of mahomes or maybe burrow such high salaries has got to stop.

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

If they don’t, do you think another team will? I know teams are desperate but I’m not so sure. 

If a genie were to offer you a $60m Qb to swap with your 40 yo $25m Qb would you do it? Cowboy cheerleaders not included 😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

If a genie were to offer you a $60m Qb to swap with your 40 yo $25m Qb would you do it? Cowboy cheerleaders not included 😛

Id tell Jerry to kiss my arse

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

Dak IMO is a compiler. Good against bad teams and against zone, but you are not winning anything with him. But Jerry is too old to start over so they will sign him. Not saying he is bad, he's just average with deceptive stats. 

Like Kirk Cousins kind of.

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Could you imagine spending $60M/year for Dak?!  It's an ESPN Insider article so I didn't read anything other than the free first bit.  But the headline says it all.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/40369158/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-future-new-contract-test-free-agency-2025-offseason

I will have the contrarian view.  Pay him.

Remember when Trevor signed his contract and we were arguing over his QBR?  His TD-INT ratio?  Etc.  Dak's TD to INT ratio is nearly 3 to 1.  His QBR has been above 70 in 5 of 8 seasons.    His lowest (55.2) is barely below Trevor's career high (56.1).  7 of 8 season's his completion percentage has been above 65.  QB Rating?  Consistently in the high 90s or over 100 in 7 of 8 seasons. Dak has actually had seasons everyone wants to see Trevor have.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

His playoff resume.  The 50K foot view, his QB RTG is decent (91.8).  His TD to INT ratio is 2 to 1 (14-7).  He has lost to the 49ers twice in the last three seasons.  The 49ers are arguably the better team.  He lost to a Rams team that went to the Superbowl.    His defenses have given an average of 375 yards a game.  Three of the seven games over 400.  By comparison, Patrick Mahomes has only had four games in 19 career playoff games where the defense gave up over 400 yards.  The big difference?  Patrick has won 3 of those 4 games.  

Is Dak a Top 5 guy?  No......maybe?  In that second tier of QBs after Patrick, Josh, Joe, and Justin, the latter of which has a lot to prove.  Who is definitely better?  I will give CJ and Jordan credit when they do it again and again.  Tua?  Goff?  Purdy?  Even Trevor who I argued was worth it?

Pay him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I will have the contrarian view.  Pay him.

Remember when Trevor signed his contract and we were arguing over his QBR?  His TD-INT ratio?  Etc.  Dak's TD to INT ratio is nearly 3 to 1.  His QBR has been above 70 in 5 of 8 seasons.    His lowest (55.2) is barely below Trevor's career high (56.1).  7 of 8 season's his completion percentage has been above 65.  QB Rating?  Consistently in the high 90s or over 100 in 7 of 8 seasons. Dak has actually had seasons everyone wants to see Trevor have.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

His playoff resume.  The 50K foot view, his QB RTG is decent (91.8).  His TD to INT ratio is 2 to 1 (14-7).  He has lost to the 49ers twice in the last three seasons.  The 49ers are arguably the better team.  He lost to a Rams team that went to the Superbowl.    His defenses have given an average of 375 yards a game.  Three of the seven games over 400.  By comparison, Patrick Mahomes has only had four games in 19 career playoff games where the defense gave up over 400 yards.  The big difference?  Patrick has won 3 of those 4 games.  

Is Dak a Top 5 guy?  No......maybe?  In that second tier of QBs after Patrick, Josh, Joe, and Justin, the latter of which has a lot to prove.  Who is definitely better?  I will give CJ and Jordan credit when they do it again and again.  Tua?  Goff?  Purdy?  Even Trevor who I argued was worth it?

Pay him.

I still feel like Lawrence was quite overpaid, for how he's performed in the NFL up to this point.

That said, I generally agree with your stance here on Dak, who is head & shoulders above Lawrence & far more accomplished in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They shouldn't do it but they will.

They may just ride out the season, and see how it goes.

The feeling out here is, as built, the Cowboys will win 10, 11 games, lose in the playoffs.  They may just be better off shedding players, taking the massive Dak cap hit next year, and rebuilding.   They can't sign Dak, CeeDee and Micah.

As it is right now, Dak counts 40 on the 2025 cap, and he isn't even signed for that season.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

One could argue that having Dak IS quarterback purgatory. 

Jerry’s window is closing! No turning back trying to get that elusive trophy w/o Jimmy J’s shadow.

His family will be enormously wealthy for generations. Keen businessman 

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

$60mm a year to guarantee you never win in the playoffs.  He's been the bottleneck there. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No only you do and only your opinion matters. 

Claiming AR8 isn’t all in is as disconnected to reality as one can be from the NFl

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

As said above, Prescott is a compiler just like his predecessor. DAL had no problem paying Romo franchise QB money over and over to go nowhere with a lot of middling 8-8 seasons. Why expect they won't repeat with Romo 2.0. 

So much talent over the years in Dallas yet it’s been nearly 3 decades since they’ve made it past the Divisional Round.

Meanwhile, our friggin sh*tty a$$ Jets have done that 3x in that span.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We shall see enjoy the season. 

Dude, he gave back almost $40M to help the team.
He rehabbed from a torn Achilles in record time. 
Other than taking a couple of days off he’s been at every off season practice for two years.

There’s nothing to see.  He’s proven he’s all in.

• Post of the Week 2