What evidence is there that Saleh is the right man for Jets HC?

In an offensive league, anybody that can take one of the worst QB situations in the entire NFL AND one of the worse Offensive Line situations in the entire NFL and eke out 7 wins, while also consistently shutting down elite QBs is doing something right.

Sidenote - special teams gets a pass but there have been way too many crushing turnovers on special teams.

• Upvote 1

7 win seasons two years in a row with an O-Line that's been absolutely decimated by injuries along with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen. In each of those two seasons, he's pulled off some pretty big victories as well (Philly last year and Buffalo the year before). Throw in the Mike White special against Cinci his first year, and it's clear he has the coaching ability to pull off wins against superior teams.

He's far from perfect, but all things considered he's done a good enough job that I'm interested in seeing what he can do with a competent QB and a decent O-Line.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, doitny said:

7 wins each of the last 2 seasons with the worst QB room in the NFL. and Zach Wilson who started 20 of those games is statistically the worst QB in NFL history to start 30 or more games. 

he has one of the best defenses in the NFL. he has coached up guys like Quincy Williams a PS pickup from Jax into one of the best LBs in the game. makes a group of relatively unknown safeties good enough so that we dont need to draft one at 6th or waste big money on a FA. 

the team plays hard for him. after we got eliminated, we won 2 out of the last 3 games when most players would have checked out by then.

i think he is a very good HC. and if he can get Rodgers for 17 games he will look like other HCs who have QBs by making the playoffs.

You are right that Saleh winning any games at all with Zach frickin Wilson is in if itself a Nobel worthy accomplishment.  However part of me wonders if in some of those wins we just got ridiculously lucky

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

His team didn't quit last year (except when the season was on the line against the Dolphins).  But in the meaningless games, they really showed up!

oh yeah, thats the game your boy Zach was so bad (4-11 26 yds) he got benched before the half ended. and he took a sack fumble on the 1st drive of the game.

sometimes Zach sucked so bad it was hard to overcome his suckyness.

My defense for Saleh is simple. He's never had a good QB. And please give me the long list of successful HCs that have had really bad QB play for 3 seasons?

Now if he sucks this year with Rodgers at QB and healthy. That's when it will be fair to judge how he HCs

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He won 7 games last year w/ no qb.  He will win 13 games this year w/ a qb.

The jets are going to have an amazing year.  Accept it jet fans!!!!

All that means is that the players might be better, not the coach.

16 minutes ago, doitny said:

oh yeah, thats the game your boy Zach was so bad (4-11 26 yds) he got benched before the half ended. and he took a sack fumble on the 1st drive of the game.

sometimes Zach sucked so bad it was hard to overcome his suckyness.

Agreed.  It was 100% Zach Wilson's fault.

Zach_Wilson_Injury_Update_121823.gif.bb5b541228101550dd7fd9287cb14d54.gif

image.jpeg.1a075c5ccce714bf9e677052d23edba4.jpeg

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  It was 100% Zach Wilson's fault.

Zach_Wilson_Injury_Update_121823.gif.bb5b541228101550dd7fd9287cb14d54.gif

image.jpeg.1a075c5ccce714bf9e677052d23edba4.jpeg

I could watch that first gif over and over and over. You can see all the water in his body getting knocked out of him 💦 Dehydration!!!!

It's impossible to reconcile...

Saleh is a good coach AND Joe Douglas has been a good GM.

It can't be both.

Yet JetNation is attempting to make that case.  If I had to make a call on this..

I'd say Saleh has been a pretty solid HC while JD, barring one great trade, has been a disaster.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It can't be both.

Yet JetNation is attempting to make that case.  If I had to make a call on this..

I'd say Saleh has been a pretty solid HC while JD, barring one great trade, has been a disaster.

I'd rate JD way above Saleh (not saying that much but still).  But of course, JD hired Saleh so he has to take the hit.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It can't be both.

Yet JetNation is attempting to make that case.  

Is that true? Because to me it seems to be very false. 

The majority of us have been sh*tting on Saleh since at least the second straight late season collapse started in the middle of last season. 

There is certainly a good deal of support for Douglas, based mostly on the 2022 draft 

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd rate JD way above Saleh (not saying that much but still).  But of course, JD hired Saleh so he has to take the hit.

While I like Saleh as a person, I’m pretty much in agreement that he is a blockhead as a HC.  That said, when this version of the Jets inevitably implodes like a supernova, Saleh is clearly the regime leader with the best chance of landing a next gig, even if as a DC.  Aaron “KiNg oF NeW YoRk!” Rodgers (0/2 for 0 Yards) will retreat into retirement and odious corners of the internet, and Joe “THANK YOU JDDDD” Douglas (27-56 as GM) is no  shoo-in for a follow-up job if things go badly.   Yet Bob is the one that we crap on the most.  Kind of funny. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

there's some components of a good coach in there. for a while I was latching onto the success they've had with marrying the scouting/pro personnel stuff with the defense; he knows what he's looking for and is able to communicate that to the FO and then coach those players up. That's not nothing. 

Unfortunately he's flailing on offense. Signing off on the Wilson pick was bad enough but beyond that there's an absence of a plan. Even if everything goes right and there's a good two year run with Rodgers, long term you're gonna have to dump Hackett the second Rodgers retires and reinvent the offense again. 

It's probably exactly what it looks like. He's a good defensive coach that is in over his head as a hc and was saddled with the worst quarterback I've ever seen in my life for 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

ok hes got an excuse for that one. but 4-11 for 26 yds?? yeah its about 99% his fault.

Our OL was completely overrun.  Our WRs were complete dogsh-t, other than GW.  Our CS was an embarrassment.

Years 1&2 ZW was a very large part of the problem.  Year 3 ZW certainly had plenty of room for improvement but, overall, he was scapegoated and assigned far more blame than he deserved.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our OL was completely overrun.  Our WRs were complete dogsh-t, other than GW.  Our CS was an embarrassment.

Years 1&2 ZW was a very large part of the problem.  Year 3 ZW certainly had plenty of room for improvement but, overall, he was scapegoated and assigned far more blame than he deserved.

You can only blame the OL for so long.  Watch this doc.  Clearly shows Zach missing wide open reads.  Even worse it shows Zach seeing guys wide open and then for no logical reason not throwing them the ball after he obviously saw them

He should have never even have been in the NFL

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You can only blame the OL for so long.  Watch this doc.  Clearly shows Zach missing wide open reads.  Even worse it shows Zach seeing guys wide open and then for no logical reason not throwing them the ball after he obviously saw them

He should have never even have been in the NFL

After quickly scanning through the video, it looks like it's discussing year 2 ZW. 

When I say that ZW was scapegoated, I'm referring to year 3 ZW.

The answer is he is NOT the right guy for the job but the Jets are in too deep with him and at this point really have to give him one more year to try and see what they can do with a healthy Rodgers, revamped o-line and receivers, and loaded RB stable. 

If you ARE looking for a couple of positives, I think he is a players coach. I.E. Players seem to like him and 'buy in'. That's important, especially when you go through a disasterous season like we did last year. I think he does know defense. Ulbrich didn't just come out of nowhere he was chosen by Saleh. And this was Saleh who put this defense together WITH Ulbrich and JD. Saleh was a big part of it. And I really think its one of the best units in the league.    

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

The silver lining he's gotten his side of the ball right. The defense is legit. But now it’s year four. No more excuses. If the offense isn’t top 20 (not a high bar to clear), it’s time to go. 

I don't see that lining - I think with the amount of resources that was put into the defensive side, any halfway decent coach would have had the same or better results.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

in the Miami game that we were talking about when Zach got benched before the half he took 4 sacks. Sieman took only 2 against the same team. now if you want to say they let up on rushing the QB i might give that to you. but for the season Zach had a 11% sack percentage. Sieman had a 5% one. and thats not an outlier. the year before Zach was 8.7%, Flacco 5% and White 4.9% 

and in his rookie year Zach was 10.3, White 2.9, Johnson 4.3 and Flacco 4.5. every QB we had except Boyle was almost half as better at taking less sacks than Zach. 

so with the same OL, the same everything the OL was 2 times worst with Zach as QB. so is that the OL, WRs etc etc... or the QB? 

and btw Siemans 5% if he played more games would rank him 6th best in the league. Zach was 32nd with only Tannehill being worst.

he is not being scapegoated, he is getting the right amount of blame. which is almost all of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1