Mike Williams Has Never Had Aaron Rodgers

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll be 41 by the time they'll need to make the Wildcard run.  He turns 41 in December.  

His age when it's going to matter is the point.

Just so everyone is on the same page, Manning threw for 222, 176 and 141 yards in the 3 playoff/SB wins for the Broncos in 2015, I suspect Rogers can easily do more then that.

I also think people are underrating how much of the position has nothing to do with physical skills.  Rogers needs to get us into the right plays at the LOS, not turn the ball over, and know where to go with the football on the 85% of the passing plays that arent 2 min drill.  With a defense as loaded as the Jets, thats all he needs to do to get to 11+ wins.

Now, in order to get a SB win, we will need his athletic ability and arm talent on the other 15% of the plays to be at least near what it was in 2022, Im hopeful that happens but it will require us to keep him upright, limit the hits he takes and have him take care of his body the way that it appears that he does.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

So you’ve covered your ass on both scenarios… classic!

Rodgers gets injured or is a 15-20 ranked Qb… “I told you so”

Rodgers is a top 5 Qb, “I have been rooting for him from the outset”

I never understand comments like this.  

I think Rodgers is done, I'm on a Jets fan forum - that is an opinion I have and I'm sharing it.

But I am a very big Jet fan and want to see the team win...Therefor I would love to be wrong.  My opinions on this platform are not outweighed by want for the team to win.  Not even close.

I went through this with Zach - where I was thoroughly convinced, and based on comments like this, correct that Anti-Zach fans were hoping he failed and being right was more important.  That is not the case for me.  I want the team to win and would love to see Rodgers defy reality.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Claymation said:

You keep saying he’s 41 when he’s 40, did you fail numbers in 1st grade?

I'll keep repeating this...

He'll be 41 when they're making the wildcard run.  That's the number that matters.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is a funny and very roundabout way of saying, "Wow, you got me. I was totally dead wrong again."

Also thank you for fulfilling my prediction about moving the argumentative goalposts upon being proven incorrect. ;) 

Not even sure what this means.

There are levels of play.  That Broncos team was absolutely loaded across the board, this Jet teams is not that.  There are teams that win championships with average QB play - which is what they were getting from Manning.

Expecting Rodgers to play top of the league level is foolish -  that has been my only argument. 

I don't believe you're going to get anything more than average QB play out of him.   If that's enough to win a championship with this team, great.  I don't see it.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barton said:

Lemme know when Mike Williams starts running and cutting.

Unreal that JD is hanging the #2 WR spot on a guy coming off a torn ACL. 

Ridley got a $23 mil per year contract. The Jets had to find a guy that fit in the budget and Williams was probably their best option. A guy coming off an ACL is a risk but hopefully he recovers like Breece did.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not understanding what this means is not something to brag about.

I just quickly thought of two QBs off the top of my head that did - fairly recently, at that - what you suggested would be anti-science. 

My expectation was that you would find at least one other reason to alter your argument by adding another requirement layer (i.e. moving the argumentative goalposts). 

So you moved the goalposts to include yet another injury after that for each QB I mentioned. IOW the new argument is they had to come back from twice as many typical career-ending injuries as Rodgers, and then come back after multiple years off/decline, to satisfy your new argument lol. 

On cue, you quite expectedly did just that, and then did it yet again in this post above by adding the rest of the team required to satisfy your new silly prerequisites. 

The truth is as they get older, most don't bother coming back for a variety of reasons. Some of them of courser just can't play as well anymore, even after they make late career comebacks (Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Carson Palmer, etc.). After enough years most just don't value more NFL seasons - keeping themselves in game-shape best-suited for guys in their 20s & dealing with that body punishment - as much as their personal/family time or other opportunities. Brady could've played yet again at what, 45(?) after his last retirement & chose not to because of ownership and/or booth opportunities. Brees could've still played at 42 as well but chose not to because it was enough for him & wanted to spend this time with his family. Ditto Rivers and his small village of children. Same with plenty others, too.

Conversely, Rodgers is single, apparently/allegedly isn't super-tight with his own family, and if RFK was polling 10-20 pts higher & made a VP offer to him he'd probably have hung up his playing career, too. So he's still playing when others would've decided life outside of football is more valuable and were ready for their lives' next chapters.

Ultimately here's the reality:

Your ever-extending list of prerequisites is unscientific to the point of dopiness to be honest, because of the small sample size you're examining by your own doing. There's a puny number of QBs in his personal situation, who are still productive well into their 30s, THEN seem to decline, THEN get injured, THEN keep playing (and frankly only look at the last 20 years or so because sports medicine & technology became so much more advanced than it was), and btw still find themselves on teams they considered to be contender-enough to keep playing. So what you're calling evidence is really just statistical noise because there are maybe 10 QBs to whom it could have applied just by the rarity of numbers (not even satisfying the bachelor with no kids aspect that applies to Rodgers) because there just aren't that many great QBs in general at any age.

If he can still throw a football well & accurately enough, which he can; and can still move around the pocket well enough, which he can; then he can still play. The rest? Who knows; there are no guarantees for anyone except Pat Mahomes who has been a unicorn among unicorns. Anyone can get injured & knocked out for the season on any play. Herbert is a chiseled physical specimen and he just got knocked out with a broken finger injury that didn't knock out Rodgers at a much older age. An injury like that could've happened to him in September just as easily as December as it's not age or wear-or-tear related. Joe Burrow got knocked out of the season in game 10 twice in four seasons himself. The historical list of QB injuries is quite long.

Your arguments are just unserious, and it's obvious you're more reflexively bitter about being relentlessly wrong about Zach Wilson than anything else. Everyone can see it. 

No offense ;)

image.png.eb710927c8318f254813ea3549fe1695.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not understanding what this means is not something to brag about.

I just quickly thought of two QBs off the top of my head that did - fairly recently, at that - what you suggested would be anti-science. 

My expectation was that you would find at least one other reason to alter your argument by adding another requirement layer (i.e. moving the argumentative goalposts). 

So you moved the goalposts to include yet another injury after that for each QB I mentioned. IOW the new argument is they had to come back from twice as many typical career-ending injuries as Rodgers, and then come back after multiple years off/decline, to satisfy your new argument lol. 

On cue, you quite expectedly did just that, and then did it yet again in this post above by adding the rest of the team required to satisfy your new silly prerequisites. 

The truth is as they get older, most don't bother coming back for a variety of reasons. Some of them of courser just can't play as well anymore, even after they make late career comebacks (Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Carson Palmer, etc.). After enough years most just don't value more NFL seasons - keeping themselves in game-shape best-suited for guys in their 20s & dealing with that body punishment - as much as their personal/family time or other opportunities. Brady could've played yet again at what, 45(?) after his last retirement & chose not to because of ownership and/or booth opportunities. Brees could've still played at 42 as well but chose not to because it was enough for him & wanted to spend this time with his family. Ditto Rivers and his small village of children. Same with plenty others, too.

Conversely, Rodgers is single, apparently/allegedly isn't super-tight with his own family, and if RFK was polling 10-20 pts higher & made a VP offer to him he'd probably have hung up his playing career, too. So he's still playing when others would've decided life outside of football is more valuable and were ready for their lives' next chapters.

Ultimately here's the reality:

Your ever-extending list of prerequisites is unscientific to the point of dopiness to be honest, because of the small sample size you're examining by your own doing. There's a puny number of QBs in his personal situation, who are still productive well into their 30s, THEN seem to decline, THEN get injured, THEN keep playing (and frankly only look at the last 20 years or so because sports medicine & technology became so much more advanced than it was), and btw still find themselves on teams they considered to be contender-enough to keep playing. So what you're calling evidence is really just statistical noise because there are maybe 10 QBs to whom it could have applied just by the rarity of numbers (not even satisfying the bachelor with no kids aspect that applies to Rodgers) because there just aren't that many great QBs in general at any age.

If he can still throw a football well & accurately enough, which he can; and can still move around the pocket well enough, which he can; then he can still play. The rest? Who knows; there are no guarantees for anyone except Pat Mahomes who has been a unicorn among unicorns. Anyone can get injured & knocked out for the season on any play. Herbert is a chiseled physical specimen and he just got knocked out with a broken finger injury that didn't knock out Rodgers at a much older age. An injury like that could've happened to him in September just as easily as December as it's not age or wear-or-tear related. Joe Burrow got knocked out of the season in game 10 twice in four seasons himself. The historical list of QB injuries is quite long.

Your arguments are just unserious, and it's obvious you're more reflexively bitter about being relentlessly wrong about Zach Wilson than anything else. Everyone can see it. 

No offense ;)

Yes.  Almost everyone.  I'm not sure the self-awareness is there for him to see the obvious.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The first person -- what are you talking about, or did you start watching football like 6 months ago?

Peyton Manning regressed in 2010. Then missed all of 2011 with a far more concerning neck injury + surgery than Rodgers just had. Then threw for 15000 yards and 130 TDs (in 16 games/season not 17, mind you) over the next 3 years, including a still-standing NFL record 55 TDs in 2013. 

Also Kurt Warner never showed substantive decline, repeatedly breaking his throwing hand & suck for 5 years, and then didn't bounce back & take yet another team to the Super Bowl.

I'm sure you'll move the argumentative goalposts again, though.

Both Payton and Warner were really into Football.  

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'll keep repeating this...

He'll be 41 when they're making the wildcard run.  That's the number that matters.

You’ve been calling him a 41 year old since he turned 40.  Just like you called him a 40 year old when he was 39.  You’re insecure and add a year thinking you’re strengthening your “he’s done” argument.  

• Upvote 2

I never quit the site. 
Would be great to see Rodgers defeat father time.  A player that begins to show substantive decline and then two years and a major surgery later reverses the clock.
More than just as a Jet fan (which would be amazing) but also just from an overall science perspective would be wild to see the first person to anti-age.
I'm absolutely rooting for Rodgers!
Except for the substantive decline part lol that undercut your whole credibility in this post.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Post of the Week 1

I never understand comments like this.  
I think Rodgers is done, I'm on a Jets fan forum - that is an opinion I have and I'm sharing it.
But I am a very big Jet fan and want to see the team win...Therefor I would love to be wrong.  My opinions on this platform are not outweighed by want for the team to win.  Not even close.
I went through this with Zach - where I was thoroughly convinced, and based on comments like this, correct that Anti-Zach fans were hoping he failed and being right was more important.  That is not the case for me.  I want the team to win and would love to see Rodgers defy reality.
You cannot compare your faith in an untested and unproven qb to the faith you should have in a hall of fame qb. Even if he is older and as you say declining.

Zackie poo burned you and now you here acting like you have lost all hope.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Last year we did NOT... We saw 4 plays.

Last we saw him was two years ago, before the injury.  

And he showed substantive decline.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Last we saw him was two years ago, before the injury.  

And he showed substantive decline.   

Breaking: QB playing with broken thumb on his throwing hand doesn't play to the same MVP caliber as he did when he was healthy the year before.

Also lost his offensive coordinator and #1 WR but we won't mention that.

Weird how you think an Achilles on the non plant foot is going to be more consequential than a broken thumb on the throwing hand. And by weird I mean stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Warner retired at 39 (That's two year and a torn achilles later)

Manning was shot - and I suspect that's a similar level of play you'll get from Rodgers.    If that's the level of play y'all are expecting and excited for from Rodgers you won't get an argument from me.  I will say you and I agree.   

But if you you think the Jets can win the Super Bowl this year with the level of play the Broncos got from Manning I will disagree.

Not a damn thing wrong with Rodgers arm. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Both Payton and Warner were really into Football.  

Yeah, and at some point both of them decided it wasn't worth doing anymore.

Manning had too many injuries over too many years. Multiple neck & shoulder surgeries, and then was told he was going to need hip replacement surgery after retirement, too, after having his leg in a cast his last season from heel tear of his own that he'd have needed to have corrected as well. He would've needed to do major rehab again to get back to having even near the NFL arm that Rodgers still has, aside from fixing his foot so he could properly plant & throw, on top of the prior nerve damage he had in his right shoulder (probably would need another surgery to relieve that pinched nerve yet again, which he'd had done twice already when he was with the Colts).

He'd just won another Super Bowl ring, and (at the time) was the statistical leader in almost every passing total, so what would be the point? Physically could he have continued playing after another offseason of surgeries & heavy rehabs? Perhaps, but he decided it wasn't worth the trouble and the additional future injury risks, and I'm sure he made the right decision for himself.

Warner had just had enough as well. One can be "really into football" and not want to deal with all the physical work and time away from the family that is required after rehabbing from his MCL tear. 

"Coming to practice every day, believing you're the best player and never getting the chance to play, running scout team after being in the league and winning MVPs and going to Super Bowls, it was mentally exhausting," Warner said. "That's why retirement came to mind.

"That was the most frustrating part of my career."

They can still be really into football without being really into rehabbing to get into football shape yet again at 40 with a families that included young children. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You’ve been calling him a 41 year old since he turned 40.  Just like you called him a 40 year old when he was 39.  You’re insecure and add a year thinking you’re strengthening your “he’s done” argument.  

I still have my bedroom alarm clock (circa 1980's) set at 5 minutes ahead.   It strengthens my "I'm up" argument quite well. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Ridley got a $23 mil per year contract. The Jets had to find a guy that fit in the budget and Williams was probably their best option. A guy coming off an ACL is a risk but hopefully he recovers like Breece did.

Typical Jets fan rationalizing ineptitude.  We gave a $42 million contract to Lazard to be our WR2 he’s not even a WR4

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Typical Jets fan rationalizing ineptitude.  We gave a $42 million contract to Lazard to be our WR2 he’s not even a WR4

Phil. I was talking about this off-season. Keep up.

23 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Jets made a run at Mike Williams a few off seasons ago for a reason. They didn’t get him but now they do. And he’s never had a QB like Rodgers throwing him the ball.

Yes The Aaron Rodgers Thought Police will aim to rain on the potential of The Rodgers to Williams Parade. Understandable, if knee jerk pessimistic and negative.

But me and many are excited to see what Mike Williams can do with Rodgers at the command. Herbert is no joke but he’s not a living legend.

I think Mike Will is gonna be a red zone threat and critical chain mover. The rest of the weapons are on offense will put up big the numbers and production. And Rodgers to Williams could be lethal and back breaking. 

I just posted about him in another thread. I like this move a lot. They are asking him to be the # 2 guy and that is very reasonable. Garrett pulls in 1,000 + yards with trash at QB. So he should really take a big step forward this year. Williams just needs to fill in the gap a bit. With his size, he pretty much just has to stay healthy and he will produce.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

No it doesn't, he's 40.

You are trying to be a smartass, the problem is you aren't good at it. I have been a smartass my entire life, I have honed my craft. Teachers have commented that I am the biggest smartass they have ever seen. You, on the other hand are the Denzel Mims of Smartasses.

Gotta be honest here, I agree with Fidelio when she keeps harping on the fact that it doesn’t matter that Rodgers is 40 during the summer. He will turn 41 ten weeks into a 17 game season

But… your post is really funny. It made me laugh out loud. Props. 👍