Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I could be wrong, but said GM who was busted sleeping during a Jets game may not have fully understood Reddicks contract or desire for a new one. In year 6, 30 games under .500, I can’t believe he’s getting any benefit of the doubt. Trading for a player in a final year and then the player ghosting the team is unprecedented. 

This is not benefit of the doubt.  Some people believe that he took Reddick at his word.  The guy I was responding to says that would be stupid, the only thing that matters is the contract.  Well, do you have an issue with paying Reddick what is in his signed contract?  I don't.

Your constant conspiracies aside, this trade was a risk.  I think it was a worthwhile trade.  The pick is 2 years out and there is a fair chance that they will recoup it.  Reddick will have to show up and play sometime or risk losing the year.  The board always whines about signing guys who played well in their contract year.  Well, Reddick is in a contract year.  Do you know the most sacks that Bryce Huff had in a season before his contract year?  3.5.   ELITE!!!!!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is not benefit of the doubt.  Some people believe that he took Reddick at his word.  The guy I was responding to says that would be stupid, the only thing that matters is the contract.  Well, do you have an issue with paying Reddick what is in his signed contract?  I don't.

Your constant conspiracies aside, this trade was a risk.  I think it was a worthwhile trade.  The pick is 2 years out and there is a fair chance that they will recoup it.  Reddick will have to show up and play sometime or risk losing the year.  The board always whines about signing guys who played well in their contract year.  Well, Reddick is in a contract year.  Do you know the most sacks that Bryce Huff had in a season before his contract year?  3.5.   ELITE!!!!!

The issue is Reddick was never going to play under this current contract, because if that were the case, he’d still be in Philly. Hughes running PR and talking amount this verbal agreement sounds iffy at best. This smells like an impulsive move by a GM whose ass is on the line. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Wait, did he not even read the contract/not do any due diligence or did he read the contract and not understand it? The goal posts are being moved all over the place.

I don’t know? What we do know is he made a trade without any sort of commitment from the player. Reddick has no loyalty to the Jets.

• More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t know? What we do know is he made a trade without any sort of commitment from the player. Reddick has no loyalty to the Jets.

Ahem-

“Contractual stuff, I’m leaving that up to my agent and Joe to figure out,” Reddick said. “Whatever happens, I’m gonna be happy. I’m gonna give my all no matter what, that’s just who I am as a person. No matter how it goes, how many years, I’m gonna be here for however long I’m here for and I’m going to give the team, the fans everything that I have.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Again with the Huff nonsense?  He didn't want to be here.  He bet on himself and won.  A team decided (foolishly IMO) that he was worth being paid as a full time starter.  It was pretty clear over the past couple of years that he's a great, part time, one trick pony type of player.  Let's see how it plays out.

Time to move on.  It takes two to tango, and you can't sign everyone.  The priority signing at this position over the next couple of years is Johnson, not Huff.

My assumption when the Jets traded for Reddick was that it would come with a new deal (ideally a two year extension).  He's not as old as some seem to think, and he should have a couple of elite years left in him.  He's a far better and more complete player than Huff, and it's not particularly close.

It's unfortunate that he hasn't shown up thus far.  It's unfortunate that he may have gone back on his word or initial position.  But at end of the day, it's a business, and I'm confident that things will get hashed out.  He'll be here to make an impact this season and possibly beyond.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Ahem-

“Contractual stuff, I’m leaving that up to my agent and Joe to figure out,” Reddick said. “Whatever happens, I’m gonna be happy. I’m gonna give my all no matter what, that’s just who I am as a person. No matter how it goes, how many years, I’m gonna be here for however long I’m here for and I’m going to give the team, the fans everything that I have.”

Actions do indeed speak louder than words. He's gonna show up, but not before dragging the Jets through the mud for the next 2-3 months.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The stalemate is Reddick wants a new deal to show up and Douglas has said he needs to show up first. In saying so, Douglas has more or less admits he'll make at least some adjustment the contract - or possibly entertain a trade Reddick desires - as soon as Reddick shows up, so at this point it's on the player more imo, and anyway there's a 95-99% chance whole thing is ending with Reddick playing this season.

What's his alternative? Refuse any in-between adjustment to stay under this contract and sit out for the rest of his career? He has to play to become a free agent and get other teams to get into a bidding war for him at the $25MM+ he wants. 

He has to show up at some point, even he ends his holdout only for the 2nd half of the season (at half the cost), and if he loafs it for that half year then he's not going to get paid the same in March. So even that worst-case scenario, the Jets get him for the 2nd half of the season with fresh legs and then get a 2026 3rd round pick returned to them.

This isn't ideal but also isn't really a big deal. I'd be better if he was in camp - big duh - but right now there's little doubt he'll play this season.

The only way this gets really sticky is if JJII or WMD get very badly injured in August if Reddick is still holding out.

well said 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The stalemate is Reddick wants a new deal to show up and Douglas has said he needs to show up first. In saying so, Douglas has more or less admits he'll make at least some adjustment the contract - or possibly entertain a trade Reddick desires - as soon as Reddick shows up, so at this point it's on the player more imo, and anyway there's a 95-99% chance whole thing is ending with Reddick playing this season.

What's his alternative? Refuse any in-between adjustment to stay under this contract and sit out for the rest of his career? He has to play to become a free agent and get other teams to get into a bidding war for him at the $25MM+ he wants. 

He has to show up at some point, even he ends his holdout only for the 2nd half of the season (at half the cost), and if he loafs it for that half year then he's not going to get paid the same in March. So even that worst-case scenario, the Jets get him for the 2nd half of the season with fresh legs and then get a 2026 3rd round pick returned to them.

This isn't ideal but also isn't really a big deal. I'd be better if he was in camp - big duh - but right now there's little doubt he'll play this season.

The only way this gets really sticky is if JJII or WMD get very badly injured in August if Reddick is still holding out.

Wow, nice post viscous courage. I actually read the whole thing too!

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You're f@cking up the grass by moving the goal posts so much. Have a heart.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I think the negotiations going forward have more to do with leverage than loyalty. 

The Jets and Reddick sort of need each other. The Jets need the stud edge pass rusher they gave up a future 3rd for as a replacement for Huff and Reddick needs the Jets to either: 1) Give him the contract he wants or  2) Trade him to a team that is willing to give him the contract he wants. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think the negotiations going forward have more to do with leverage than loyalty. 

The Jets and Reddick sort of need each other. The Jets need the stud edge pass rusher they gave up a future 3rd for as a replacement for Huff and Reddick needs the Jets to either: 1) Give him the contract he wants or  2) Trade him to a team that is willing to give him the contract he wants. 

If Douglas trades Reddick for a 1 or 2 then I’ll take everything back

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

A 2026 3rd rounder for one of the best pass rushers in the game for a win now team. Yeah, that's dumb 🙄. And for the millionth time, Huff was not signing here.

JD has made some awful moves (see Wilson, Zach) but this doesn't qualify as one.

^THIS!

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

3) play chicken with Reddick and give him nothing.  Let him play for his next contract next season

we only have a 1-year window anyway before Rodgers retires and becomes a full time conspiracy theorist guru

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At that point he will owe more than the worth of his contract.

50K per day for 38 days, 1.9 M plus 3 game checks at roughly 750 k a piece. That's 4.15 million for just the preseason. Another 9 million for the 1st half, 13.15M owed compared to his 7.5 million left on his contract.

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Douglas got fleeced by his former team. Obviously eagles wanting to put him on trade block and go hard after huff should have raised a big red flag. But Douglas has proven many times his lack of experience as a smart gm.

They are viewed as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. USA Today predicts that they will win it.

Do you think that happened by accident?

Do you know how dumb you sound right now?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

They are viewed as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. USA Today predicts that they will win it.

Do you think that happened by accident?

Do you know how dumb you sound right now?

Fair but at last season hasn't started yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just seems unnecessary to trade for another teams headache. I think we’d both agree the Eagles are well run and the Jets are the Jets. And no, I don’t think Douglas comprehensively went through all of these scenarios and what if’s. 

• Haha 1

Give him a slight raise and guarantee his salary for the season. He can then go out and perform for his next contract which won't be with the Jets. I honestly don't think the Jets ever planned on giving him a new long term deal. They wanted a guy to make a run with for this year. He has to show up at some point if he wants a decent contract from another team.

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

And I would add the Huff would have been such a great accolade for JD and Saleh in recruiting players. Undrafted, developed by the Jets into one of the top young premier edge rushers in the NFL. One of Saleh's mantras is developing young players where they can get paid. He did this and the Jets let Huff walk. What message does this send to our upcoming free agents who we want to retain like Breece, Garrett, JJ, and Sauce? 

Is your argument that this is an indictment of JD and Saleh?  Their treatment of Huff is exactly what they are talking about.  Take an UDFA and get him in a position to earn a $50M contract?  If he has another 17.5 sacks over the next four years will Philly be happy? 

Needing to pay Breece, Garrett, JJ and Sauce is probably a good part of the reason they had to let him walk.  Still, that is pretty far down the line - Hall will be an UFA before the 2026 season (& subject to the tag a very viable option for RB) and the other three will presumably have their 5th year options picked up and not be free agents until before the 2027 season.

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JD is 39 games below .500 for a reason 

yes he and at the end of the day that is all that matters-you are what your record says you are- Joe shopped for the groceries and hired the chef to cook the meals  

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:04 AM, Bobby816 said:

Way to win over a fan base for a team you haven't even played for yet. You've done 0 for us.

You seriously think a guy here for one year is worried about winning you and a bunch of guys in Section 223 over?

You’ll be slobbering all over him from your seat after his first sack.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:36 AM, The Voice of Reason said:

Do you just wait for negative articles on the Jets so you can be the first to post... I mean seriously... I understand not liking the team you route for but you are like a dog in heat waiting for negative information 

The 48ers have 2 of their best players in Aiyuk and Trent Williams holding out for more money.

It happens jet fans.  Get over it!!!!!!

13-4 season coming up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The 48ers have 2 of their best players in Aiyuk and Trent Williams holding out for more money.

It happens jet fans.  Get over it!!!!!!

13-4 season coming up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't that be the 47ers then?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Give him a slight raise and guarantee his salary for the season. He can then go out and perform for his next contract which won't be with the Jets. I honestly don't think the Jets ever planned on giving him a new long term deal. They wanted a guy to make a run with for this year. He has to show up at some point if he wants a decent contract from another team.

He also could show up and turn in the Lance Armstrong routine after “tweaking” a hammy. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Have you guys reached a consensus yet? What is the next move?

As always, it's to fire the GM and the Head Coach.  Hire a plane to fly a banner forcing Woody to sell the team.  Then immediately starting the cycle again.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He also could show up and turn in the Lance Armstrong routine after “tweaking” a hammy. 

That would definitely help him with his next contract. You should be his agent.

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My wack job conspiracy theory on this is signing Becton.  You never know how the comp picks shake out and if the Jets are going to get one, Becton will fit in the formula.  The Eagles signed him on literally like the last day where he would qualify.  Why would they do that?  They don't really give a sh*t because they signed more than they lost, but they certainly didn't gain anything not waiting a day or two.  The Jets gave what will basically be the comp pick for losing Reddick.  My conspiracy is the Jets agreed to take the headache of dealing with Reddick's holdout for the comp pick next year - which might be a 3rd based on Huff.  Of course, most of the calculators say even with Becton qualifying the Jets won't get one, so might have been for naught, but these things often shake out differently than we thought.

This is purely made up conjecture, but there is so much Eagles/Jets intertwining, that I half believe it.

That is too deep a conspiracy even for me, brother lol

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

At that point he will owe more than the worth of his contract.

50K per day for 38 days, 1.9 M plus 3 game checks at roughly 750 k a piece. That's 4.15 million for just the preseason. Another 9 million for the 1st half, 13.15M owed compared to his 7.5 million left on his contract.

You sure? I didn’t think he gets full game checks for preseason. They get like a few thousand per week base preseason pay, which is less than one day’s holdout fine for him.

$14.25MM base pay / 17 games = $838K/week.

• He can hold out for 7 games (and still get his accrued season) = $5.9MM in forfeited game checks.
  • Holdout fines = $1.9MM if it’s 38 days as you say.

Total lost = ~$7.8MM all together.

He’d make ~$6.5MM if he ends his holdout then, and is active the last 10 games, from games 8-17.

That’s my guess.

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade