Jets Sign QB Ben Bryant; Update - Bryant Released

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

The numbers may or may not support this, but it certainly seemed his accuracy was better on deeper routes, especially in the middle of the field, than they ever were on the shorter/timing/flats/easy type or touch-based passes.  But overall his accuracy was indeed garbage, no question.

I think deep ball accuracy is one of the most overstated things in football.  The longer the pass, the more it is on the receiver.  Throw it up and the guy can run under it or alter his route.  Can't do that on a 7 yard hook or quick out.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

no, but i don't see a path for jordan to play, b/c it's going to be rodgers/ taylor or another vet they bring in, or a highly drafted qb when jd takes another shot.  odds are jordan remains a backup who does not play.  

He was drafted to be a developmental project.  Don’t know how else to explain it.  If he develops and becomes a viable Jet starter that would be incredibly beneficial to the team.  Even if he becomes a viable backup that would be incredibly beneficial to the team.  

If you don’t someone you’ll never have someone on the pipeline 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The numbers may or may not support this, but it certainly seemed his accuracy was better on deeper routes, especially in the middle of the field, than they ever were on the shorter/timing/flats/easy type or touch-based passes.  But overall his accuracy was indeed garbage, no question.

🙄

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was drafted to be a developmental project.  Don’t know how else to explain it.  If he develops and becomes a viable Jet starter that would be incredibly beneficial to the team.  Even if he becomes a viable backup that would be incredibly beneficial to the team.  

completely agree.  this is consistent with my wondering if he ever sees the field as a jet.  based on the talent/roster of this team and rodgers hopefully playing beyond 2024, i'd say no b/c jd will probably take another shot at a highly drafted qb in the next 2 years IMO and if rodgers leaves they'll look to bring in another veteran.  i have no objection to taking qbs on day 3, but we're looking at a qb who is undersized with a significant injury history who is already 24.  

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

The issue I have with this is Zach was 100% known in college to struggle with  shorter/timing/flats/easy type or touch-based passes (as you said)

Then the Jets put him in an offense that was 100% the things he was bad at. Zach needed to be given an Air Coryell type of offense stressing the bondaries and deep. 

Zach failed and was a ruined mess as the end. But if that was the offense Saleh insisted on, which it was, then the Jets should not have even considered Zach

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

completely agree.  this is consistent with my wondering if he ever sees the field as a jet.  based on the talent/roster of this team and rodgers hopefully playing beyond 2024, i'd say no b/c jd will probably take another shot at a highly drafted qb in the next 2 years IMO and if rodgers leaves they'll look to bring in another veteran.  i have no objection to taking qbs on day 3, but we're looking at a qb who is undersized with a significant injury history who is already 24.  

You've wasted a lot of words over several posts to basically say you didn't like the pick. Why not just say that?

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem is that his injury is severe enough that many have said it could be a true red shirt year where he sees no real action even in training camp.  And with rodgers saying he may not play beyond 2024, it means the jets will either draft another qb high or bring in a veteran if the team can compete again, so where does travis fit into the qb pecking order?  I get he was never intended to start here, and stranger things have happened, but with a new regime next year, there’s probably another high qb drafted, and if rodgers and tyrod return, Jordan is again #3.  And his injury must have been terrible and i wonder if it’s expected to make a complete recovery

I disagree. I don't see Saleh and Douglas stepping down after winning the Super Bowl. Nothing left to prove obviously, and they will need a new QB. But I think they both come back and try to build a dynasty with this defense and a new QB.

Really don't see any scenario where there is a new regime next year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I disagree. I don't see Saleh and Douglas stepping down after winning the Super Bowl. Nothing left to prove obviously, and they will need a new QB. But I think they both come back and try to build a dynasty with this defense and a new QB.

Really don't see any scenario where there is a new regime next year.

Clarify, if there is a new regime, they probably draft a qb and if jd remains, they go with rodgers and may still draft a qb.  Either way, travis probably is not playing for the jets for quite some time.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You've wasted a lot of words over several posts to basically say you didn't like the pick. Why not just say that?

I prefer to elaborate.  I advocate taking shots at qbs, but in this instance i think travis will get buried between the rodgers/taylor and shiny new qb regimes.  If rodgers plays 2 more years, travis will be 26 and may never have taken a regular season snap. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I prefer to elaborate.  I advocate taking shots at qbs, but in this instance i think travis will get buried between the rodgers/taylor and shiny new qb regimes.  If rodgers plays 2 more years, travis will be 26 and may never have taken a regular season snap. 

So you're saying they shouldn't have drafted a QB at all?

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not a fan of the pick, huh? Arm strength? 

Small, injured, no arm, volunteered to move to receiver a few years back at FSU but wasn’t athletic enough to do it. Norvell is an offensive genius and made it work for him. He’s ass. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

So you're saying they shouldn't have drafted a QB at all?

I think they need to start trying to develop qbs the proper way, in theory, yet I’m not convinced they really think that in 2 years, travis Jordan can be the starter here.  So i think it was a low risk move they had to do, but i still think jd will take a qb high in the draft either next year or the following year.  So Jordan’s path to starting or even being the 2 is a tough road. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think they need to start trying to develop qbs the proper way, in theory, yet I’m not convinced they really think that in 2 years, travis Jordan can be the starter here.  So i think it was a low risk move they had to do, but i still think jd will take a qb high in the draft either next year or the following year.  So Jordan’s path to starting or even being the 2 is a tough road. 

So in your opinion, who should they have drafted with that pick? Or did you want them to use their first round pick on a QB? 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

The PFF tracking showed that Zach Wilson was god-awful throwing underneath, but had some decent success throwing in the intermediate zones, particularly to his right. His real undoing is that he’s almost comically bad when pressured, and he was often under pressure because he held the ball forever. 

• Upvote 1

The enigma about Zach is he is more accurate on intermediate to longer routes and missed what seemed to be easy short throws. And that's the bread and butter of an offense. I always thought it was something fixable. So I'm not counting him out yet. At BYU the offense was big plays and he had a good year there his last season. But it wasn't the kind of offense he had to learn in the NFL. Well he's got one of the best offensive coaches now and up to him to learn how to run it. If he keeps overthrowing short passes he'll be out of there fast. 

28 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

So in your opinion, who should they have drafted with that pick? Or did you want them to use their first round pick on a QB? 

I liked pratt more, i believe he’s a more natural pocket passer, but whoever they would have taken the guy has a ways to go to be even the #2 here.  They had to go OT in round 1.  

The other thread was a joke. Calling Ben Bryant a camp body is coming from people who don’t know him. I watched every collegiate Bryant snap. He reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick with a better arm. Dude is just a baller-always putting his body on the line. 

Call me crazy, but I think Ben Bryant will be the heir apparent. Possibly a future pro bowler if Hackett and Rodgers can mold him. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, PositiveJetFan said:

The other thread was a joke. Calling Ben Bryant a camp body is coming from people who don’t know him. I watched every collegiate Bryant snap. He reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick with a better arm. Dude is just a baller-always putting his body on the line. 

Call me crazy, but I think Ben Bryant will be the heir apparent. Possibly a future pro bowler if Hackett and Rodgers can mold him. 

The Rock Reaction GIF by Baywatch Movie

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

BB turns 25 in September 😂

By the time he develops he’ll be 27 like Weeden was when the Browns reached for him in round 1 🤣

34 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

BB turns 25 in September 😂

By the time he develops he’ll be 27 like Weeden was when the Browns reached for him in round 1 🤣

He’s already developed. Just throw him in there and let him lead. Didn’t you see him ball out in the Las Vegas Bowl? 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Small, injured, no arm, volunteered to move to receiver a few years back at FSU but wasn’t athletic enough to do it. Norvell is an offensive genius and made it work for him. He’s ass. 

Tiny hands too

5 hours ago, PositiveJetFan said:

He’s already developed. Just throw him in there and let him lead. Didn’t you see him ball out in the Las Vegas Bowl? 

No I did not. But not sure it counts since in theory it should  stay in Vegas. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PositiveJetFan said:

Turns out we didn’t need another thread. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, PositiveJetFan said:

call-me-crazy-youve-got-a-thing-for-this

16 hours ago, bicketybam said:

🙄

You seem to be mistaking the comment as some form of support for Zach.  It's not. 

My record on the topic of Zach is quite clear.  No one on this site was more right about Zach, nor as early on, as I was.  Wellllll, maybe @Jetsfan80 was, to his credit.

And as Tom posted above, the numbers may in fact support my "feeling" on Zach being a better intermediate/bullet route thrower than a short-yardage/touch thrower.

14 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

To put it diplomatically, it was an interesting pick. Not sure I’m a fan of JD’s QB philosophy.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You seem to be mistaking the comment as some form of support for Zach.  It's not. 

My record on the topic of Zach is quite clear.  No one on this site was more right about Zach, nor as early on, as I was.  Wellllll, maybe @Jetsfan80 was, to his credit.

And as Tom posted above, the numbers may in fact support my "feeling" on Zach being a better intermediate/bullet route thrower than a short-yardage/touch thrower.

I was commenting on the "he can throw it 50 yards and land it on a dime" comment. What kind of pass do you think that represents? I'll give you a hint: Rodgers threw one to Wilson on the first day of practice. Are you suggesting that Zach was accurate on those kind of deep throws? Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen him connect on one.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I was commenting on the "he can throw it 50 yards and land it on a dime" comment.

Forgive me, your eyeroll reply was to a post where I didn't say that, and was not commenting on that, so was a bit confusing.  

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

What kind of pass do you think that represents? I'll give you a hint: Rodgers threw one to Wilson on the first day of practice. Are you suggesting that Zach was accurate on those kind of deep throws? Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen him connect on one.

I'm suggesting what I posted above.  He felt more accurate on bullet/intermediary passes than he did short/touch passes.  Never mentioned deep bomb sideline stuff, where he was also almost entirely trash.

Feel like you're looking for an argument where none exists Bam.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Forgive me, your eyeroll reply was to a post where I didn't say that, and was not commenting on that, so was a bit confusing.  

I'm suggesting what I posted above.  He felt more accurate on bullet/intermediary passes than he did short/touch passes.  Never mentioned deep bomb sideline stuff, where he was also almost entirely trash.

Feel like you're looking for an argument where none exists Bam.

In mid October last year, Cimini wrote an article where he pointed out that Wilson's accuracy on short passes (1-10 yards) was 71.4% and his overall completion % was 61.1%. I don't know how you can massage the math to make his deep ball percentage better than his 1-10 yard range percentage but if you say he was more accurate on deeper throws then have at it. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38652614/new-york-jets-reveal-secret-zach-wilson-improved-accuracy

On 7/25/2024 at 8:32 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

They had to bring in another camp body at QB.  I was thinking it might be a veteran, but they must like Bryant enough to go with him.

This sort of suggests that they think Travis might be healthy enough to play in the preseason at some point?

They can sign Zach in a couple weeks

• Lith changed the title to Jets Sign QB Ben Bryant; Update - Bryant Released