Josina Anderson: Jets and Haason Reddick Making Progress

Haason-Reddick-scaled.jpg

NFL Insider Josina Anderson has some good news for Jets fans as she claims Gang Green is making progress toward a new deal for holdout Haason Reddick.

According to Anderson, the talks between Reddick and the Jets have “progressed positively” and there is hope that the time is approaching for Reddick to be present and getting acclimated to the club.

The Jets sent a future third round draft choice to the Eagles for Reddick this off-season with the understanding he would be willing to participate in OTA’s and training camp without a contract extension.  But when the time came, Reddick decided not to turn up as he seeks a new deal.

Currently slated to make $14.5 million in what is now the final year of his deal, Reddick is said to be looking for top-tier money based on what has been elite sack production (50.5) with the Eagles, Panthers and Cardinals over the past four seasons.

The post Josina Anderson: Jets and Haason Reddick Making Progress appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Haason-Reddick-scaled.jpgNFL Insider Josina Anderson has some good news for Jets fans as she claims Gang Green is making progress toward a new deal for holdout Haason Reddick.
According to Anderson, the talks between Reddick and the Jets have “progressed positively” and there is hope that the time is approaching for Reddick to be present and getting acclimated to the club.
The Jets sent a future third round draft choice to the Eagles for Reddick this off-season with the understanding he would be willing to participate in OTA’s and training camp without a contract extension.  But when the time came, Reddick decided not to turn up as he seeks a new deal.
Currently slated to make $14.5 million in what is now the final year of his deal, Reddick is said to be looking for top-tier money based on what has been elite sack production (50.5) with the Eagles, Panthers and Cardinals over the past four seasons.

The post Josina Anderson: Jets and Haason Reddick Making Progress appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.Click here to read the full story...
I don't know how to feel about this ... Hopefully Joe doesn't overpay .. also hope it's a fair deal ... But most of all I hope we don't have a Wilkerson situation in the making. It will be great to end the distraction and settle down the worry some had about the DL. Edge wasn't a position I was stressed about.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

As a vested veteran, his salary becomes fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster opening day, so that’s not a realistic option. I don’t think the Jets want to give him multiple years, and that that’s the problem. I’d probably add makable incentives based on performance that boost his pay if he continues to perform at the same level. 

Reddick needs to play this smart for himself, too. He needs to get into camp, get up to speed in this defense, and excel on the field for his next contract - wherever that will be. He’ll have the opportunity to put up big numbers with this team. The Jets will want him to pin his ears back and attack the passer. He may not love his current situation but, in this defense, he can put up a career year and cash in next season. 

Thanks for that info. Wasn’t aware of the vested veteran wording in the CBA

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Reddick should thrive in this defense. Both sides want a deal to get done.

Spot on and I believe if reddick leaves after the season the jets get a 3rd back

so basically a wash on the trade 

maybe jd does know what he is doing?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Trotter said:

I believe if reddick leaves after the season the jets get a 3rd back

Not necessarily - comp picks aren't a given for FA departures. You have to lose more than you sign, which is why the Jets won't get a comp pick for losing Huff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I would agree if the trade compensation was any higher than a 3rd in 2026.

It's not about the draft capital, it's about JD leaving his ass completely exposed at the table negotiating compensation.

Just now, jgb said:

It's not about the draft capital, it's about JD leaving his ass completely exposed at the table negotiating compensation.

Reddick will be starting game 1. As far as the compensation goes, does a 4th-5th round pick (equivalent on a 2026 3rd rounder) seem excessive for one of the best pass rushers in the league? I don't think so.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

Reddick will be starting game 1. As far as the compensation goes, does a 4th-5th round pick (equivalent on a 2026 3rd rounder) seem excessive for one of the best pass rushers in the league? I don't think so.

I mean $

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I mean $

Well here is how I see it.

Reddick needs to play this season if he wants to see that last big contract. I feel holding out the year isn't an option for him. I think JD realizes this as well while also realizing he can't just expect him to play on his existing contract. I think JD feels he can negotiate a deal that will get an all pro pass rusher on the team for 2024 for what most would consider a bargain deal. He felt it was worth risking a 2026 3rd round pick.

I don't think JD has any intentions of signing Reddick long term. We have too many other players that will need to be addressed. He should just ensure that Reddick gets a fair deal for one year so he can audition to the rest of the league for his final contract. It's not coming from us.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Well here is how I see it.

Reddick needs to play this season if he wants to see that last big contract. I feel holding out the year isn't an option for him. I think JD realizes this as well while also realizing he can't just expect him to play on his existing contract. I think JD feels he can negotiate a deal that will get an all pro pass rusher on the team for 2024 for what most would consider a bargain deal. He felt it was worth risking a 2026 3rd round pick.

I don't think JD has any intentions of signing Reddick long term. We have too many other players that will need to be addressed. He should just ensure that Reddick gets a fair deal for one year so he can audition to the rest of the league for his final contract. It's not coming from us.

All things that should've been managed before the trade became official

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

All things that should've been managed before the trade became official

I disagree and I've laid out why. Reddick can't hold out. He will be playing at SF. Book it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, slats said:

As a vested veteran, his salary becomes fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster opening day, so that’s not a realistic option. I don’t think the Jets want to give him multiple years, and that that’s the problem. I’d probably add makable incentives based on performance that boost his pay if he continues to perform at the same level. 

Reddick needs to play this smart for himself, too. He needs to get into camp, get up to speed in this defense, and excel on the field for his next contract - wherever that will be. He’ll have the opportunity to put up big numbers with this team. The Jets will want him to pin his ears back and attack the passer. He may not love his current situation but, in this defense, he can put up a career year and cash in next season. 

You’ve nicely outlined why I’m not concerned about the Reddick holdout. He needs to play this year to get that next big bag he’s looking for.

The Jets are in no rush to make any long term commitments. They gave up the equivalent of a 5th this year for a short term rental. If they decide he’s so good that they need to give him the bag, they can do that, too. Either way, he’ll be there opening day. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I disagree and I've laid out why. Reddick can't hold out. He will be playing at SF. Book it.

Yes, your prediction is they sign him to a 1 year deal to get him to play. My position is such things are always better for the team to finalize before they're traded for the problem.

• Upvote 2

This could drag on to week one. Both sides are “wrong” but both sides think they are right. 

……IF reports are true…..

JD made a massive miscalculation finalizing a trade for a player that was available for trade because he wanted an extension without locking him into a deal first. 

Reddick went back on his word to report to camp and negotiate. 

I think JD learned during the Rodgers trade negotiations that holding your water and waiting pays off. Don’t blink first. 

I dont expect Reddick to be in the fold until September. 

It shouldn’t matter much though. Look at Chris Jones last year. Signed week 1 and went to the Super Bowl 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes, your prediction is they sign him to a 1 year deal to get him to play. My position is such things are always better for the team to finalize before they're traded for the problem.

More fact than position, it’s going to be messy. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

sounds harsh but don't they usually waive the fines as part of an eventual agreement?

They can’t, that’s why players do hold in. Show up, fake an injury and not be fined

I’ll be shocked if he gets anything other than a raise / a fully guaranteed check for this season. I’ve said this a few times but think about this offseason…not a single long term deal given out. No extensions. Nothing but 1 year deals or guys playing on deals that have already been agreed upon in a previous season. I personally believe that woody has limited what JD is allowed to do this year so that in the event that he has to clean house, there is an open slate for the next guy to work with. I don’t see a long term deal happening. Maybe I’m wrong but everything we’ve seen this offseason sure looks looks like that is what is happening. Reddick got traded to the wrong team if he was aiming for a big extension. This team can’t give it to him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Not necessarily - comp picks aren't a given for FA departures. You have to lose more than you sign, which is why the Jets won't get a comp pick for losing Huff.

Thanks

My mistake on the 3rd back if reddick leaves

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

My mistake, but the other part with the 50K is mandatory.

They could just do what the Chiefs did with Jones: slip the money back into the extension via easy to reach incentives. 

IMG_5470.jpeg

• Upvote 1