Who Stood out in Jets 20-17 win Over Commanders?

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think I heard the other day that Sauce said he wants Tyreek Hill money so this is especially good news.

You did? Which one of the voices in your head whispered it to you?

50 minutes ago, jamesr said:

His punt return average last year was 9.7 yards. That is 0.5 yards per return less than ... Braxton Berrios. :D  

He was 7th in total punt return yardage, more based on quantity (33 returns - 4th in the league). He also led the league in fair catches with 30.

3 fumbles. 🤢

One of only 8 players to return a punt for a TD. 

On kick returns he had 22 for 511 yards (both 2nd in the league). Just ahead of Berrios on both, but over 1 yard per return less on average. And another fumble. 🤢

So on specials, basically a cheaper but more fumble-prone version of the guy he replaced.

Thanks for the information.  Appreciate it.  Seems like he is in the average range on a per return basis but the fumbles are obviously a problem that pushes him backwards.  That is the one thing you cannot do on returns.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You did? Which one of the voices in your head whispered it to you?

He did say it https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new-york-jets/news/shutdown-sauce-gardner-cornerback-wants-tyreek-hill-money-second-contract/df1fdb287b0eb659634aac45

The Jets will end up giving him the biggest DB contact ever if he gets a third all pro

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the information.  Appreciate it.  Seems like he is in the average range on a per return basis but the fumbles are obviously a problem that pushes him backwards.  That is the one thing you cannot do on returns.
He needs to show the fumbling is in the past if he wants to keep his job, IMHO. The fumble on the opening KO in Buffalo gave the Bills a free 7 point lead.

None of our return guys looked all that good on Saturday in his absence, so he has an opening. But he's also missing time with an injury, which won't help him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I was in and out of the house replacing the lights on one of my trailers, I tried to watch as much of the game as I could but I missed some of it including most of the 4th quarter.

It re-aired on NFL network this morning, so I was able to watch most of what I missed;

What stood out to me;

JBC is going to be a really good cover corner if Saturday is any indication. He was targeted early & often and even on the one big completion he gave up in the 1st quarter, his coverage was good - he should have went after the ball a little more aggressively, but he was all over that receiver, and was with him step for step.

Wasn't the best outing for Tyrod Taylor, he took a sack when he should have just thrown the ball away and he did not move the offense very much - but considering just about all of the 1st stringers were sitting, you have to give TT a pass, other than that one bad sack that he took.

Olu Fashanu while he was hit with a false start penalty, looked good in pass-blocking, holding his ground & not giving up a sack.

Michael Clemons had a play where he stone-walled the Commanders RT and the RB ran into his own RT and fell down, either right at, or behind the LOS.

Agent 0 is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season, a 1-2 punch of the killer B's (Braelon & Breece) is going to tough on opposing defenses.

Malachi Corley had a nice 33 yd KO return and 4 catches, showing really good hands.

Peasley is going to be a nice QB prospect to groom, he has adequate anticipation, arm strength & mobility. He is not afraid and will stand tall in the pocket in the face of the rush and deliver the ball with accuracy. Peasley & Brownlee seem to have developed some decent chemistry as Peasley went to him early & often. That corner of the end zone pitch & catch from Peasley to Brownlee could not have been executed any better & Brownlee did an excellent job of tracking the ball and getting his feet down in bounds.

Leonard Taylor III, Bruce Hector & Takk McKinnley all flashed, making stops for short-gains, or at the line of scrimmage, LT-III had a TFL in the backfield, against the run.

#33 Jaylen Key (Mr Irrelevant) was all over the field, he played a lot of snaps. He made some plays & he was a little out of position/late on others but there is no questioning his level of effort. I think he can potentially be coached up to be a pretty good safety.

LB'er Chaz Surratt made some plays, showing good range & sure tackling.

Isaiah Davis has really good hands, he reminds me of a young Jerald Sowell, tough to bring down when he has a head of steam.

On Israel Abanikanda's TD run OG Kohl Levao & OG Brady Latham opened a lane into the end zone that you could have drove a truck through, really nice run-blocking by them on that play & Iggy actually hit that hole with some authority for a change, maybe he's starting to come around.

Eric Watts had a beautiful sack where he ran down the QB from behind as he scrambling out of the pocket, great hustle play by Watts.

Adrian Martinez (while going up against 3rd & 4th stringers) was impressive.  He has excellent pocket awareness, where he feels when the rush is coming and has exceptional mobility. He had a couple of great throws to 87 Brandon Smith & B Smith made the most of his opportunities laying out and making contested catches in traffic. I think B Smith's stock went up after Saturday. What I like about Martinez the most is his decisiveness.  He does not hesitate and makes good decisions when the ball is in his hands.

Peasley & Martinez both looked good, I don't know what the Jets are going to do with these 2, it's going to be a shame to lose either one of them, as they are both showing a lot of promise.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

How is Allen not one of the top graded? He steamrolled Washington and averaged 9 ypg. 

Don't worry about the PFF grades, Agent 0 (Allen) looked really good, including in pass-blocking/blitz pick-up.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Xavier Newman looked a 100X better than Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! in our 2023 finale,

a game i have watched every day, before Saturday's game became

our most recent reviewable game to watch

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2024 at 3:45 PM, Trotter said:

Jd has had his misses with two of them being first rounders but the guy has rebuilt this roster with depth at every position and when cuts come, those let go will be picked up quickly by other teams

he catches a lot of sh_t around here but really has done a very good job

Let's not get too excited! Let the record speak for thy self!

7 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

They had signed Jacob Martin as a free agent before Huff’s 3rd year and then wound up trading him mid season to give reps to … wait for it … Bryce Huff.

Then they drafted Will McDonald to replace … Bruce Huff.

Where are the stats to show Gipson as above average?  He is elite at fumbling the ball.

What does Jacob Martin have to do with finding, signing and developing Bryce Huff?

The Jets should only have 1 situational pass rusher, what if Bryce got hurt?
Xavier averaged 23.2 per KOR. 9.7 on PR.

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

What does Jacob Martin have to do with finding, signing and developing Bryce Huff?

The Jets should only have 1 situational pass rusher, what if Bryce got hurt?
Xavier averaged 23.2 per KOR. 9.7 on PR.

I’m responding to your prior question.  If they knew what they had in Huff, they wouldn’t have signed Martin, then traded him to give the reps to Huff, then drafted McDonald to take over Huff’s role.

Not good business to use a first round pick as a backup situational pass rusher when you have so many other (offensive) needs.  McDonald was drafted to replace Huff; hence it’s reasonable for me to suggest - when also factoring in signing Martin and trading him games later - that they didn’t fully appreciate what they had in Huff.  

As for Xavier, slightly above avg on punt return average and below avg on kick returns (sample of those who had at least 10 returns).  BUT he was tied for worst fumble rate on BOTH punt and kickoff returns.  That takes him below average in my view.  You cannot fumble on returns.  Those cost you games by providing short fields for the opponent.  

You can have the last word.  Forest thru the trees, I’ve given JD plenty of credit.  My opinion is that even with Huff, that first draft class was a failure. 

Starting midway thru the 2021 draft with Jamien Sherwood, then Carter II, Echols, even Pinnock (starting safety for the Giants) and thru today, I love the work he has done in the draft including UDFAs like Adams, Gipson (who has upside) and Brownlee (who has something).

I don’t see ANY major misses or signs of major misses and I see a potentially good batting average w/ big hits later in the drafts.

Even further, the hits I see at the top of the draft include several HRs or potential HRs:   All Pros, Pro Bowlers, a few potential Hall of Famer types.  Excited to see if McDonald and Tippmann can join JJ at the Pro Bowl level.  

• Upvote 1

i know the jets haven't helped themselves by doubling down on Zach Wilson, and basically wasting the last 2 years of a GREAT defense, but what a change of pace to see productive rookies. here i am legitimately excited to see who we bring in late in the draft and UDFA.

i think leonard taylor is going to take the JFM role and not look back. he looked like a starter playing with backups saturday.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i know the jets haven't helped themselves by doubling down on Zach Wilson, and basically wasting the last 2 years of a GREAT defense, but what a change of pace to see productive rookies. here i am legitimately excited to see who we bring in late in the draft and UDFA.

i think leonard taylor is going to take the JFM role and not look back. he looked like a starter playing with backups saturday.

We have a couple years left.  QW is locked into a long term deal.  Hall has a couple years left on his rookie deal and Braelon Allen just got here

19 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Yesterday I was in and out of the house replacing the lights on one of my trailers, I tried to watch as much of the game as I could but I missed some of it including most of the 4th quarter.

It re-aired on NFL network this morning, so I was able to watch most of what I missed;

What stood out to me;

JBC is going to be a really good cover corner if Saturday is any indication. He was targeted early & often and even on the one big completion he gave up in the 1st quarter, his coverage was good - he should have went after the ball a little more aggressively, but he was all over that receiver, and was with him step for step.

Wasn't the best outing for Tyrod Taylor, he took a sack when he should have just thrown the ball away and he did not move the offense very much - but considering just about all of the 1st stringers were sitting, you have to give TT a pass, other than that one bad sack that he took.

Olu Fashanu while he was hit with a false start penalty, looked good in pass-blocking, holding his ground & not giving up a sack.

Michael Clemons had a play where he stone-walled the Commanders RT and the RB ran into his own RT and fell down, either right at, or behind the LOS.

Agent 0 is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season, a 1-2 punch of the killer B's (Braelon & Breece) is going to tough on opposing defenses.

Malachi Corley had a nice 33 yd KO return and 4 catches, showing really good hands.

Peasley is going to be a nice QB prospect to groom, he has adequate anticipation, arm strength & mobility. He is not afraid and will stand tall in the pocket in the face of the rush and deliver the ball with accuracy. Peasley & Brownlee seem to have developed some decent chemistry as Peasley went to him early & often. That corner of the end zone pitch & catch from Peasley to Brownlee could not have been executed any better & Brownlee did an excellent job of tracking the ball and getting his feet down in bounds.

Leonard Taylor III, Bruce Hector & Takk McKinnley all flashed, making stops for short-gains, or at the line of scrimmage, LT-III had a TFL in the backfield, against the run.

#33 Jaylen Key (Mr Irrelevant) was all over the field, he played a lot of snaps. He made some plays & he was a little out of position/late on others but there is no questioning his level of effort. I think he can potentially be coached up to be a pretty good safety.

LB'er Chaz Surratt made some plays, showing good range & sure tackling.

Isaiah Davis has really good hands, he reminds me of a young Jerald Sowell, tough to bring down when he has a head of steam.

On Israel Abanikanda's TD run UFL Guard Kohl Levao & OT Obinna Eze opened a lane into the end zone that you could have drove a truck through, really nice run-blocking by them on that play & Iggy actually hit that hole with some authority for a change, maybe he's starting to come around.

Eric Watts had a beautiful sack where he ran down the QB from behind as he scrambling out of the pocket, great hustle play by Watts.

Adrian Martinez (while going up against 3rd & 4th stringers) was impressive.  He has excellent pocket awareness, where he feels when the rush is coming and has exceptional mobility. He had a couple of great throws to 87 Brandon Smith & B Smith made the most of his opportunities laying out and making contested catches in traffic. I think B Smith's stock went up after Saturday. What I like about Martinez the most is his decisiveness.  He does not hesitate and makes good decisions when the ball is in his hands.

Peasley & Martinez both looked good, I don't know what the Jets are going to do with these 2, it's going to be a shame to lose either one of them, as they are both showing a lot of promise.

LTIII had a sack too which looked like a vintage Aaron Donald rep up the middle.

• Upvote 1