Trade Reddick Tonight

1 hour ago, slats said:

What is this headache you guys keep talking about? As far as the team goes, it appears to be nothing more than outside noise. It’s not like in SF, who have two of their own stars holding out, Reddick has never played a down for the Jets and the defense has been damn good without him. Is it the ****-stirrers in here? The beat reporters? When Reddick reports, they’ll find something else to chew on and spit at you. 

What seems to get lost is that Reddick is elite. Also lost is that he’s never had any leverage. He needs to report this year if he’s ever going to get to free agency, and the Jets are the team that holds his rights. If he wants to hit it big in free agency, then he needs to play and play up to his elite standards. I’d rather have elite Reddick for half the year (hopefully into the post season) than a future pick. I prefer that a lot. In the meantime, the pearl-clutchers can clutch their pearls. Reddick’s holdout doesn’t look as if it’s effecting the team at all. It’s not a headache, more a minor distraction in the background. Hopefully Reddick figures out that he’s overplayed his hand sooner rather than later, because the last thing I’d do is reward his poorly conceived holdout by giving him what he wants. That’s a message no front office wants to send. 

Hey 😅 if you read the rest of my posts in this thread, I think we're largely on the same page. I'm not in favor of trading him for less than what we got him for, and certainly not dumping him off ASAP. I also defended his quality of play (despite missing camp because really, who cares) and acknowledged we're very unlikely to find a superior option than him this year. 

The only reason I do think the Jets should at least consider moving Reddick, IF they get a good enough offer, is that there seems to be a real chance Reddick holds out the entire year at this point. And as I've had to argue in other threads, I can't imagine the Jets will be able to just sit on Reddick's contract forever. THAT is just as ugly a look to other players as moving on from Reddick, and I'm not convinced the league and NFLPA would sit idle while it happens either. We'd probably end up trading or cutting him next year anyway, and for legitimately decreased value at that point. 

JD has tried to work with players like Elijah Moore in the past, only to end up decisively moving on from them. If the jets do wait until the cap deadline (sep 4) and move on from Reddick while recouping value, I don't think it will be as ugly as you say. They will have at least given themselves options again, and I think pretty much everyone around the league sees that Reddick is acting a special kind of stupid. 

That being said, I'm not in favor of doing this if the jets can't at least get back what they paid. And that's definitely not guaranteed. I'd rather have Reddick half the year than someone's 6th round pick too.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

The only reason I do think the Jets should at least consider moving Reddick, IF they get a good enough offer, is that there seems to be a real chance Reddick holds out the entire year at this point. And as I've had to argue in other threads, I can't imagine the Jets will be able to just sit on Reddick's contract forever.

Reddick has not behaved logically with this holdout, which is why I find it hard to predict what he’ll do next. If I’m JD, I offer some inexpensive, face-saving gesture to get him into camp, and that’s about it. Holding out for the whole year, imho, would be amazingly stupid for Reddick. He’d earn nothing this year and owe a ton in fines. He’ll never get that $14.2M back, and he’ll reduce his own value on the open market if/when he finally gets there. 

If he chooses that stupidity, I don’t believe his trade value will be any lower next March than it might be now. In fact, I’d argue that it would be higher as there would now be a number of teams with the cap room and draft capital available to make a deal, unlike this time of year. So again, from my perspective, absolutely no downside to waiting him out. 

He sits out opening day, he loses about $840K. Every game he misses after that is another $840K. Despite the irrationality from his camp thus far, I do think he’ll report before he loses too much. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

, why would Reddick be worth less than before? It's the exact same player, same age, same contract, same new contract demands... Of course other teams would be trying to lowball us for him but again my point is the Jets don't have to agree to that now

Because at the time the Jets traded a 3rd round pick for him they may have been the only team that valued him that high — we don’t know that, but we DO know that no team valued him HIGHER than that (or they would have gotten him instead of the Jets). And we know that his value has likely only dropped since then, given that he’s holding out and all that comes with that (more contract questions, concern about what kind of shape he’s in, character questions, etc).

The only thing that would possibly change the equation would be a team that lost an Edge to injury in the preseason and now has an unexpected hole to fill. But you have to assume that such a team would absolutely have to negotiate a new contract with him before trading, and we have not heard any news that the Jets have granted any other team permission to talk to him or his agent (which they would have to do since he’s currently under contract).

So, yeah, it’s far from a lock that the Jets could get back what they traded for him, and likely it would be less. And there’s no sign a trade is even being considered or worked on at this point.

• Upvote 1

Selling Reddick.is a terrible idea .. it's like trying to catch a falling knife. Better to wait until another team is desperate, Reddick is desperate and the Jets are playing from a position of power.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Last nights game did not help Reddick at all in his negotiations. The Jets have always had the leverage but even more so now with some really good play by some of the Dline depth. Reddick's camp looks like a bunch of idiots and is going to lose this fight. Good luck getting that 25mil multiple year contract. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

and the Jets are playing from a position of power.

Famous last Jets words.....yet somehow even when the Jets have the leverage, they find themselves at a disadvantage. I am old enough to remember when people used to say that the Jets had all the leverage to get Rodgers for what they wanted to pay, but that didn't happen.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  By keeping him on the roster, the Jets wind up losing another young player they'd like to keep.  They can't use that cap space anyway precisely because he could show up. I don't care if he would make the team better or if they perhaps get more for him later (which I seriously doubt), I'd rather get rid of his stupid ass now and be able to keep a young player they'd like to keep.  The problem is that I don't think any other team would have any interest in him at this point.  After all, he's a disgruntled, dumb, and probably out of shape player.

He's not on the roster until after he reports and gets activated. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

... Huh? Did the eagles try what?

Paying the jets back with what we already traded them for Reddick? Signing someone else with the budget reserved for Reddick? Trading Reddick for what they paid for him (nothing)?

I'm super confused by this reply. Regardless of whatever you meant about the eagles, though, why would Reddick be worth less than before? It's the exact same player, same age, same contract, same new contract demands... Of course other teams would be trying to lowball us for him but again my point is the Jets don't have to agree to that now

Edit: also, I don't think it's fair to assume Reddick is out of shape. We're relying on plenty of our own players who didn't do much this pre season. If nothing else, Reddick has shown to be a consistent professional on the field 

Try to trade him.  You think there were better offers?  Other teams offering 2026 3rds they turned down?  You don't think his value is dropping based on his hikdout,?

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nick Bosa didn't show up until Sept 6th last year.

He started 20 games including the playoffs and never appeared on the injury report all season long for the first and only time of his career.

The guy is looking for a major payday and, unlike with Bosa, surely sees he's not getting it before the season starts and/or before showing up. It absolutely would've been better if he was with the team this past month, but he'll settle in fast. On top of that it's not like Saleh/Ulbrich keep any of their DLmen on the field for 80-90% of the snaps anyway.

Nick Bosa wasn't about to turn 30 last year, he was 25. That's a big difference. Bosa doesn't just rely on speed, he has great strength and technique as well.  Reddick relies mostly on his speed.

I'm at the point where I don't want Reddick. I despise him and will be unable to root for him.  I'd rather give his roster spot to someone else.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nick Bosa didn't show up until Sept 6th last year.

He started 20 games including the playoffs and never appeared on the injury report all season long for the first and only time of his career.

The guy is looking for a major payday and, unlike with Bosa, surely sees he's not getting it before the season starts and/or before showing up. It absolutely would've been better if he was with the team this past month, but he'll settle in fast. On top of that it's not like Saleh/Ulbrich keep any of their DLmen on the field for 80-90% of the snaps anyway.

Yeah the idea that he will suffer a major injury because of his holdout is interesting in there is no evidence of this being a thing for players who hold out and like you said, he’d be on a team that will use him as part of a rotation.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He's not on the roster until after he reports and gets activated. 

I thought that he was included on the roster or at least they'd have to add him by next Tuesday, but guess I was mistaken.  Thanks for the correction.  Still, if they trade him now, they could use the cap space they have set aside for him to sign another player or two, or use it to extend MC II.  They could wind up missing out on a player or two that they want to sign from among the camp cuts that could help them, because they have to save that space in case Reddick shows up.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Yeah the idea that he will suffer a major injury because of his holdout is interesting is there is no evidence of this being a thing for players who hold out and like you said, he’d be on a team that will use him as part of a rotation.  

Yes, there most certainly is evidence.  A lot of players who hold out and report to camp late wind up getting injured, and some wound up missing the entire season.

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Yes, there most certainly is evidence.  A lot of players who hold out and report to camp late wind up getting injured, and some wound up missing the entire season.

Actually none of this is evidence.  A lot of players who don’t hold out get injured.  

Other than maybe a muscle pull that will be blamed on the holdout what injury is attributable to not being in camp?  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually none of this is evidence.  A lot of players who don’t hold out get injured.  

Other than maybe a muscle pull that will be blamed on the holdout what injury is attributable to not being in camp?  

I don't remember specifics. I just know that over the years, quite a few players who held out, were either not in shape or not in football shape, and when they started getting hit, they wound up getting injured.  I thinks some wound up tearing knee ligaments, and pulled/torn muscles. 

It's not just about injuries either, as it can affect their level of play.  Those who rely on speed, can get really sore for those first few weeks, and it can affect their speed until their body gets acclimated to the hitting, and their play suffers.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

I thought that he was included on the roster or at least they'd have to add him by next Tuesday, but guess I was mistaken.  Thanks for the correction.  Still, if they trade him now, they could use the cap space they have set aside for him to sign another player or two, or use it to extend MC II.  They could wind up missing out on a player or two that they want to sign from among the camp cuts that could help them, because they have to save that space in case Reddick shows up.

You think they should cut Reddick ... so they have extra dollars to throw at guys who couldn't make another team's roster? 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Try to trade him.  You think there were better offers?  Other teams offering 2026 3rds they turned down?  You don't think his value is dropping based on his hikdout,?

It’s possible that another team told Reddick’s people that they’d give Reddick his new deal but as a concession they wouldn’t meet the Eagles price for the trade. Possible Douglas was the highest bidder in draft compensation and the Eagles simply took that deal. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s possible that another team told Reddick’s people that they’d give Reddick his new deal but as a concession they wouldn’t meet the Eagles price for the trade. Possible Douglas was the highest bidder in draft compensation and the Eagles simply took that deal. 

How about if the Jets kicked in a few million?  Would that help the trade value?

The first pressure point is a week from tomorrow.  

not sure how the jets are going to handle the week before the opener, they may begin practicing Tuesday the 3rd or Wednesday the 4th. 

For Reddick to play he would need to fly in and take a physical and sign the deal by Labor Day. 

Then it repeats every Monday after that. 

17 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Nick Bosa wasn't about to turn 30 last year, he was 25. That's a big difference. Bosa doesn't just rely on speed, he has great strength and technique as well.  Reddick relies mostly on his speed.

I'm at the point where I don't want Reddick. I despise him and will be unable to root for him.  I'd rather give his roster spot to someone else.  

Bosa didn’t hold out every year before and showed up on the injury report in multiple games every year EXCEPT the year he held out.

If I cared to make the argument, the data suggests his holding out prevented injury, lol.

16 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Meh that’s only looking at the result and making it fit. What I mean is you’re playing with the premise that the same player wouldn’t been totally healthy otherwise. Injuries are extremely common in this sport among players who don’t hold out. The definitive cause and effect is unfounded so far as I’m aware.

Again, it’d be like me pointing to Bosa’s career and concluding his holdout prevented every showing up on an injury report. The data shows this on paper, even though I don’t believe that either.

Basically it ignores the injuries that would’ve happened anyway. If a player gets his cleat stuck in the turf and tears an ACL, an Achilles, or whatever damage gets done, that has zero to do with whether a player was holding out or showing up all summer. Instead, every such injury that follows a holdout is deemed directly or indirectly because of that holdout.

Also holding out by definition eliminates 100% of injuries sustained in preseason action. No one suggests that all players rest all preseason because the truth is most of the really bad injuries are freak occurrences one can’t predict or prevent.

Also consider overwhelmingly I’d expect players who are holding out are full time starters. That means more opportunity for injury, whereas a role player is in on fewer snaps and that alone yields a lower injury risk independent of any holdouts as well.

• Upvote 1

Douglas doesn't have to do a thing and Reddick will eventually show up and play before he ends up losing the season. And if he holds out for the year, we will be back here next year. No way Douglas lets Reddick dictate what he wants. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

You think they should cut Reddick ... so they have extra dollars to throw at guys who couldn't make another team's roster? 

That's not what I said, but you twist it however you like to fit whatever narrative or agenda you want it to.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Examples?

I've already said that I don't remember specific examples, but I do remember hearing and reading about players who did hold out wound up getting injured.  They may have gotten injured anyway, but we have no way of knowing that.  I also know that I'm not the only person who has heard about that phenomenon on this web site or on other websites.  I have seen other posters make the comment on two other Jets fansites where I read and post.