New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

11 minutes ago, TBJ said:

NY Jets reporters hint Haason Reddick holdout will end in next 48 hours

The guy has already been fined $3 mil. They think he’s going to cave now over another $800k when him not being there actually matters to the team?

I don’t buy it.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The guy has already been fined $3 mil. They think he’s going to cave now over another $800k when him not being there actually matters to the team?

I don’t buy it.

That 3 mil comes over the course of a few months though.  He’ll pass that number in September alone + tick closer to his contract tolling into next year.

I don’t love Cimini’s attitude towards this team a lot of the time, but the dude knows his stuff and when he gets information nowadays, it’s rarely off.  He can also write his balls off when he really wants to.  Out of all of our reporters, I respect him the most.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I get what you’re saying but Reddick may send Dandy to the Shadow Realm if the Jets pass rush picks up where it left off while he sits out losing game checks because of his advice.

Like I mentioned before:  Dandy’s tactic of threatening/utilizing the holdout/in worked for Metcalf and CeeDee because their respective teams, quite literally, would not survive the year without their production.  The Jets DL situation not like the Seahawks or Cowboys WR rooms.  They can survive it.

I'm like 80% confident this is true, but not 100%.

If it turns out we need Reddick more than we thought, this could get extra embarrassing and difficult. Let's really hope not

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I'm like 80% confident this is true, but not 100%.

If it turns out we need Reddick more than we thought, this could get extra embarrassing and difficult. Let's really hope not

Agreed.  I should have written something like “on-paper” because it comes down to a few pieces taking the next step or surprising.  Otherwise it’s contingent on the defense as a whole (i.e. the secondary helping out the pass rush.)

If we get to that desperation point, we have other, far larger, concerns.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That 3 mil comes over the course of a few months though.  He’ll pass that number in September alone + tick closer to his contract tolling into next year.

I don’t love Cimini’s attitude towards this team a lot of the time, but the dude knows his stuff and when he gets information nowadays, it’s rarely off.  He can also write his balls off when he really wants to.  Out of all of our reporters, I respect him the most.

Agreed on Cimini 100%, I think he’s talking out of his a** here about Reddick reporting tomorrow though, but we’ll see. It would be great if he did.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

no....YOU don't care. a lot of us realize he is the best pass rusher on the team and not having him out there is a significant downgrade. douglas screwed this one up

Lol, He traded a pick in 2026.  Not this years draft, nor next year's.  

He cost the team nothing.

If he reports, he will play for his next contract.  

Yup, he screwed the pooch in this one.

14 minutes ago, hawk said:

Lol, He traded a pick in 2026.  Not this years draft, nor next year's.  

He cost the team nothing.

If he reports, he will play for his next contract.  

Yup, he screwed the pooch in this one.

JD has a gaping $14 mil hole in his roster right now that he can’t fill.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t buy it.

It matters to him, too. Plus he has to show up for week 7. He can hold out for the first 6 games, and after that he's under contract with the Jets for next season.

The fines aren't something he can get back, unless the Jets are willing to bump him by the fine-amount plus whatever additional amount above that makes Reddick content enough to show up. 

I mean, if he was willing to play for $20MM for the season as a compromise, then the Jets would have to shell out $23.5MM to be enough to cover his ~$3.5MM in fines & missed workout bonus accrued. 

Reddick really screwed things up by not staging a hold-in. If it screws things up for the team, then it screws things up for himself as well. He made it more difficult than it already was for him to get a bump with a high enough take-home amount he's content playing under for the season.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s wild to me that Reddick had a longstanding issue with the AAV on his contract—so much so that the Eagles were forced to 1. Trade him and eat $23 mil and 2. Give Bryce Huff $50 mil—and now Douglas is surprised that Reddick isn’t coming to camp without a bump? And the Jets story is that—gasp!—Reddick didn’t show up to play *for the same amount of money that he wasn’t going to accept with the Eagles*? Gripe all you want about Reddick‘s tactics, but this is on Douglas for importing a well-established problem into the franchise. 

What has this cost the Jets?  A 2026 3rd round pick?  No money.  He isn't even taking up a roster spot (I don't believe.)

Reddick had no leverage at this point, and is foolish.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It matters to him, too. Plus he has to show up for week 7. He can hold out for the first 6 games, and after that he's under contract with the Jets for next season.

The fines aren't something he can get back, unless the Jets are willing to bump him by the fine-amount plus whatever additional amount above that makes Reddick content enough to show up. 

I mean, if he was willing to play for $20MM for the season as a compromise, then the Jets would have to shell out $23.5MM to be enough to cover his ~$3.5MM in fines & missed workout bonus accrued. 

Reddick really screwed things up by not staging a hold-in. If it screws things up for the team, then it screws things up for himself as well. He made it more difficult than it already was for him to get a bump with a high enough take-home amount he's content playing under for the season.

We’ve beaten this to death all summer. We all know every financial scenario by now, and yet here we are, a week from kickoff and nothing has changed.

13 minutes ago, hawk said:

What has this cost the Jets?  A 2026 3rd round pick?  No money.  He isn't even taking up a roster spot (I don't believe.)

Reddick had no leverage at this point, and is foolish.

$14 mil in cap dollars they could’ve used, but can’t if he holds out. Same thing next year if both sides want to dance the same dance.

For all we know Reddick could’ve put a chunk of his $50 mil career earnings into Nvidia and could care less about playing again unless it’s on his own terms.

Hell, even if he has it in a 4.5% certificate, he might feel the same way.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

JD has a gaping $14 mil hole in his roster right now that he can’t fill.

He doesn't cost anything until he reports.  He isn't on the active roster.  

I don't believe anyway.

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

$14 mil in cap dollars they could’ve used, but can’t if he holds out. Same thing next year if both sides want to dance the same dance.

For all we know Reddick could’ve put a chunk of his $50 mil career earnings into Nvidia and could care less about playing again unless it’s on his own terms.

They can use the cap space.  They just cut him.  Give up a 2026 3rd pick, who cares?

Who was out there for the $14 million?

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t buy it.

Cimini has been saying for weeks that Sept 3 is the day that “makes the most sense” for Reddick to report. He has never indicated that any source with knowledge of the situation has told him that, or even implied it. It’s totally based on when HE as an observer believes the pressure will be turned up to the point that Reddick should report. So, this report is only what he’s already been speculating — it’s nothing new (unfortunately, because when I read the headline I was excited that this might actually be coming to an end)

4 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Cimini has been saying for weeks that Sept 3 is the day that “makes the most sense” for Reddick to report. He has never indicated that any source with knowledge of the situation has told him that, or even implied it. It’s totally based on when HE as an observer believes the pressure will be turned up to the point that Reddick should report. So, this report is only what he’s already been speculating — it’s nothing new (unfortunately, because when I read the headline I was excited that this might actually be coming to an end)

And… that’s why I said I hope he’s right, but I think he’s talking out of his a**.
He’s just speculating, same as we are.

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

And… that’s why I said I hope he’s right, but I think he’s talking out of his a**.
He’s just speculating, same as we are.

Yeah. I mean, to his credit, he isn’t claiming it’s anything other than speculation. But yes, unfortunately, that’s all this is.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

If Joe Douglas caved/caves you can kiss Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, and others goodbye, which I can guarantee everyone would be crying about.  The breakdown of this trade and who is to blame is very simple:

- The Jets always viewed this as a one year deal but were willing to, basically, fully guarantee Reddick’s contract for this season as long as he showed up for every workout and activity.

- Reddick, seemingly, agreed to this, said so in his introductory press conference, and was primed to be here.

- At some point (probably when the Jets moved JFM during the draft) Reddick decided he was tired of the under market 1-year deals that his agent was negotiating for him and flipped the script.  For reasons that don’t follow any semblance of logic, his agent, Tory Dandy, thought this would be a great idea and the holdout began.

- They thought the Jets would cave or trade him, Douglas dropped his statement and eliminated all chances of Reddick playing anywhere but the Jets (sans a mega trade) this season, so now they’ve gone and cost themselves an enormous amount of money.  Apparently, they’ve now established that doubling down on bad decisions and cutting their noses to spite their faces is their next course of action.

- Even if Reddick turns this into a “hold-in” to avoid his contract tolling, he’s destroyed his reputation and will have to sell himself to another team on him still being an elite pass rusher at 31, coming off an “injury”, with a bad attitude.  If Dandy and Reddick think they’re going to get a long-term $25-mil. per year contract with that negotiating tactic, they’re out of their minds.

I get it early on but when they realized the jets weren’t going to fold, they needed to muck their hand and get what he could this year. This team was never going to give him his big pay day at the expense of locking up our young guys that are due new contracts very soon. He had / has an excellent opportunity to have a career year in a system that plays to his strengths. He could have had a great year and been a desirable asset heading into 2025 free agency. I’d have to guess, regardless of how this season plays out, there will be a number of teams that just won’t want to deal with this guy based on how this was handled. He really overplayed his hand on this one and likely screwed him self out of much more money than the fines he’s racked up this off season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t buy it.

This is probably the key;

The key to this is the guaranteed money.

The Jets know for Reddick to have his $791,666 game check each week guaranteed, he must be on the roster for the first game. They are counting on it. If he doesn’t show up they owe him nothing;

When Will This End? (msn.com)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Dare I say, trade Sauce for two 1st rounders? 

The guy who thinks every random thought he has about a holistic lifestyle deserves it’s own thread, comes up with an intriguing question but decides to bury it in one about Hassan Reddick…

Ngapa Reaction GIF

6 hours ago, neckdemon said:

douglas gets no slack. he has been a failure here so far. his record as a GM is crap. sure the roster looks good on paper, but until we see results on the field its all hypothetical. he botched the bryce huff situation and he botched this and unless will mcdonald is really freaking good (debatable since he wasn't even able to get on the field as a first round pick), its a downgrade on our pass rush. 
also they were ranked 12th in ppg allowed. good (i'll even say very good given the offensive struggles), not elite

The only option he had was to tag huff.  Otherwise huff was leaving. 

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’d be surprised if he has more than 10mm in the bank. 

• Upvote 1

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!