2022 Draft Class: Who are we keeping?

This early bird thread is to derail our focus from Reddick and Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!. 

Ahmad Gardner (CB, Cincinnati) - Round 1, No. 4 - Trade for two 1st round picks- Promising holdout candidate 2025. Could be traded for a couple of first round picks

Garrett Wilson (WR, Ohio State) - Round 1, No. 10 (from SEA)- 3-year extension @market value 

Jermaine Johnson II (DE, Florida State) - Round 1, No. 26 (from TEN)-3 year-year extension @home discount

Breece Hall (RB, Iowa State) - Round 2, No. 36 (from NYG)- Promising holdout candidate 2025  

Jeremy Ruckert (TE, Ohio State) - Round 3, No. 101 (from NO via PHI and TEN) TBD, he will most likely playout his contract 

This one is dedicated to @Green Ghost

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Maxta_p said:

Does anyone sign for a hometown discount in todays nfl?

If you sign your players early enough, you might get a “discount,” but on the open market forget it. For instance, the Eagles had the presence of mind to re-sign Devonta Smith and AJ Brown early and have avoided the Chase/Lamb/Aiyuk fiasco. 

• Upvote 4

I expect Douglas tries to keep all of them but if the team has a solid 2024 and 2025 it's going to be tough to afford to keep all of them plus the remainder of Rodgers's cap hit. 

JJ might follow Huff's path and seek out a bigger contract with a team that features him on the field more. Hall probably also wants way more money than what Douglas will offer. Sauce and GW are probably the two Douglas tries to keep the most. I'm not sure GW loves it here and may look for greener pastures, especially if the QB role is up in the air. Ruckert is just ok and probably let go if he's looking for more than TE2 money. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

This early bird thread is to derail our focus from Reddick and Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!. 

Ahmad Gardner (CB, Cincinnati) - Round 1, No. 4 - Trade for two 1st round picks- Promising holdout candidate 2025. Could be traded for a couple of first round picks
Garrett Wilson (WR, Ohio State) - Round 1, No. 10 (from SEA)- 3-year extension @market value 
Jermaine Johnson II (DE, Florida State) - Round 1, No. 26 (from TEN)-3 year-year extension @home discount
Breece Hall (RB, Iowa State) - Round 2, No. 36 (from NYG)- Promising holdout candidate 2025  
Jeremy Ruckert (TE, Ohio State) - Round 3, No. 101 (from NO via PHI and TEN) TBD, he will most likely playout his contract 

hall is getting the double franchise is my guess.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I expect Douglas tries to keep all of them but if the team has a solid 2024 and 2025 it's going to be tough to afford to keep all of them plus the remainder of Rodgers's cap hit. 

JJ might follow Huff's path and seek out a bigger contract with a team that features him on the field more. Hall probably also wants way more money than what Douglas will offer. Sauce and GW are probably the two Douglas tries to keep the most. I'm not sure GW loves it here and may look for greener pastures, especially if the QB role is up in the air. Ruckert is just ok and probably let go if he's looking for more than TE2 money. 

Extensions should be on the table early next year. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

I agree with all, but we should probably let Breece walk. 

• Thumb Down 1

All these guys should be locked up except maybe Ruckert… let’s see what he does this year. If anyone is replaceable I’d say maybe Breece if Allen turns out to be a beast as well? But then we could always tag him a couple times in a row also. JJ GW and Sauce no brainers pay them right away. 

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

I expect Joe Douglas to finagle the cap, like every other goddamn team in the league, and get them all signed.

He will, but I think they’ll need to sign another veteran QB to stay competitive, so I’m guessing there won’t be room for all.

• Upvote 1

I think you have to look at this in terms of AR8s likely tenure-we want to be competitive then.  

• JJ2-JD keeps drafting EDGE and finding them as UDFAs so he does not have to pay up for them.  JJ can sign an early extension for a discount, or can play out his contract.   If AR8 has two years at most, let him play under the 5th year option and then he walks while the Jets rebuild.
  • GW-he is someone we keep for the very long term. Sign him for hopefully a small discount a year early.
  • Sauce-love him, but we find guys in the pile.  2 firsts for him to use on the next QB is better value.
  • Breece-plays out his contract during the AR8 Era.  Then we walks for his big contract.  
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

29 minutes ago, slats said:

If Breece has the kind of season he’s capable of this year, I don’t hesitate to make him the highest paid RB in the league next winter. The depressed RB market is a blessing to a team with a top 1-2 in the entire league type back. A guy who was second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage last year on one of the league’s worst offenses. He’s a bargain basement value at $20M/year, especially when you consider that Wilson will be looking at $35M/year. 

For Garrett to keep pace with Lamb’s deal he’ll need to put up a stat line like this in year 3:

82 Rec.

1251 Rec Yds

13 TD

100 Rush yds

It’s possible but anything less and he should receive less.

I’m not sure how I want to handle Breece yet.

• Upvote 1

- Sauce Gardner

- Garrett Wilson

- Maybe JJ

- Maybe MCII

- I could see Ruckert getting a little something to keep him here too.

I don’t expect Breece to be around much longer.  Depending on how this season goes and as the plan going forward becomes clearer (run it back vs re-tool), I think we may even see him traded next year.

I also believe there is an outside chance Sauce asks for a ludicrous amount of money when his time comes and we see him get traded down the road too, while that money gets thrown at JJ instead, possibly MCII as well, depending on how his situation works out.  Personally, I wouldn’t like that, but I could see it happening.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Trade Sauce.  

Extend Wilson and Hall.

Do nothing on JJ, franchise tag if he earns it, otherwise allow to walk.

Ruckert is immaterial as yet.

Agree with all of this.

I love Sauce as a player, but I don't think he's of a different, higher caliber of player than Wilson or Breece.

I'd spend money on players that score touchdowns and rush the quarterback, then figure out the rest. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

For Garrett to keep pace with Lamb’s deal he’ll need to put up a stat line like this in year 3:

82 Rec.

1251 Rec Yds

13 TD

100 Rush yds

82 Rec is way low.  

Absolutely can’t lose Sauce and GW. Breece we should keep but paying RBs is tricky. So I can see this one being an issue potentially.

JJ for me hasn’t earned the right yet to be a for sure guy we need to pay. I hope that changes after this season. 

And Ruckert has done nothing for us pretty much. So not sure why he’s even on this list. He hasn’t even deserved a thought on a next contract to date.

23 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

82 Rec.

1251 Rec Yds

13 TD

100 Rush yds

Two years from now a WR will make $40M/year. Wilson benefits from positional values, and scores big. He’s a guy I’d love to keep, but he also generally seems the most dissatisfied of the class of ‘22. If he has a big year and Rodgers signals that he wants to play another year, the Jets would be wise to strike and get him under contract before the QB position becomes a question mark for this team once again. 

• Upvote 2

Sauces career is solidly on a HOF trajectory.  He’s going to be expensive, but considering his high intelligence and character he is basically a guy that will be associated with the best to ever play the position for generations 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Two years from now a WR will make $40M/year. Wilson benefits from positional values, and scores big. He’s a guy I’d love to keep, but he also generally seems the most dissatisfied of the class of ‘22. If he has a big year and Rodgers signals that he wants to play another year, the Jets would be wise to strike and get him under contract before the QB position becomes a question mark for this team once again. 

I think that right there is the biggest hurdle the Jets will need to get over to sign him long-term.

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sauces career is solidly on a HOF trajectory.  He’s going to be expensive, but considering his high intelligence and character he is basically a guy that will be associated with the best to ever play the position for generations 

It's not about awards, it's about winning.  Preferably winning Super Bowls.

Which situation helps us do that more, especially if we have to replace Rodgers at QB around the same time?

1. Trade Sauce for two #1 picks, replace with an average NFL FA CB, use picks as needed (new 1st round QB, another 1st round CB, say).

2. Trade Wilson for a 2nd round pick, replace with an average NFL FA WR, use 2nd to draft another WR, no help on getting a new QB.

Personally, I feel we take less of a hit with an average FA CB+New 1st round CB vs. Sauce, than with an average FA WR+2nd Round WR vs. Wilson.  

I also think we get more out of trading Sauce (poss. his own replacement AND our next shot at a franchise QB or trade bait to move up for that franchise QB) than we get out of Wilson (WR's, even good ones, go for less that a #1 pick pretty often nowadays).

Hopefully we can afford everyone, reasonably, that'd be great.  But if not, it's about value and maximum impact on winning games.  Right?

• It is very hard for a team to have a highly paid QB and RB.  The Giants had to let Saquon go when the signed Jones.   The 49ers don't pay Purdy.    If Breece kicks in after the Jets are going with their star rookie QB, that would be a good investment. 
  • I love Sauce, but if we don't have a QB scoring points, we don't need a super highly paid CB.  We need a QB, which the CB's draft picks can get us. 
  • I love G5, but he is not a prototypical highly paid WR.  He will be expensive, but more like 1B, not 1A.  He is not taking over game like Cee Dee Lamb can. 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not about awards, it's about winning.  Preferably winning Super Bowls.

Which situation helps us do that more, especially if we have to replace Rodgers at QB around the same time?

1. Trade Sauce for two #1 picks, replace with an average NFL FA CB, use picks as needed (new 1st round QB, another 1st round CB, say).

2. Trade Wilson for a 2nd round pick, replace with an average NFL FA WR, use 2nd to draft another WR, no help on getting a new QB.

Personally, I feel we take less of a hit with an average FA CB+New 1st round CB vs. Sauce, than with an average FA WR+2nd Round WR vs. Wilson.  

I also think we get more out of trading Sauce (poss. his own replacement AND our next shot at a franchise QB or trade bait to move up for that franchise QB) than we get out of Wilson (WR's, even good ones, go for less that a #1 pick pretty often nowadays).

Hopefully we can afford everyone, reasonably, that'd be great.  But if not, it's about value and maximum impact on winning games.  Right?

Sauce is worth not one but two first round picks and Wilson is only worth one second round pick? Dafuq?! That makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 2