Trent Williams ends holdout ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/49ers/2024/09/03/trent-williams-contract-49ers-holdout/75054516007/

Trent Williams ends holdout with 49ers with new contract almost complete

Portrait of Nate DavisNate Davis
USA TODAY

The San Francisco 49ers might be golden heading into Week 1 after all.

As their regular-season opener against the New York Jets on "Monday Night Football" approaches, the reigning NFC champions are on the verge of finalizing a contract extension with All-Pro left tackle Trent Williams, according to his agency, Elite Loyalty Sports.

Williams, formerly the league's highest-paid offensive lineman and widely regarded as its premier left tackle, had dropped to sixth in terms of average annual salary ($23 million per) over the past year. He held out of training camp seeking a new deal after tackles Tristan Wirfs, Penei Sewell and Christian Darrisaw overtook him on the pay scale during the offseason. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Wirfs is currently the best-compensated blocker at $28.1 million annually after getting a five-year extension worth $140.6 million.

The 49ers had had competing priorities in recent weeks, yet finally reached an extension with wideout Brandon Aiyuk last Thursday, bringing his "hold-in" to an end.

Now Williams is set to rejoin the fold not a week before the Niners initiate their latest attempt to win a record-tying sixth Super Bowl. And his presence is certainly predictive of the team's success, San Francisco suffering four of its five regular-season losses in 2023 when Williams was inactive (twice) or wasn't on the field for at least half the snaps.

All things 49ers: Latest San Francisco 49ers news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.

An 11-time Pro Bowler and first-round pick of Washington in 2010, Williams was recently ranked the seventh-best player in the league by his peers in an annual NFL Network survey, the highest spot ever earned by an offensive lineman.

San Fran has done pretty well in taking on previously injury-prone superstars and getting 14-17 games per season out of them, giving up only mid-round picks for their trouble. 

They first added Trent Williams at age 32, coming off an entire missed age 31 season, who'd missed, 2, 4, 6, and 3 games the 4 seasons before that (the only season across that stretch where he didn't miss time to injury he missed 1/4 of the season with a suspension for PEDs). Since then he's missed 2-3 games per season, elite in the other 14-15, and has never played better in his career before that. Went from being probably top 5-ish at his position to being the best of the best year after year (or if there's been any separation between him and a healthy Tyron Smith it's a meaningless separation at that).

Then a couple years later they trade for the ultra injury prone Christian McCaffrey and he becomes an every-game workhorse.

And in between there he burns 3 first round picks on a guy who's seen the field only slightly more than Christian Hackenberg, and still ends up with a young FQB. 

Yeah sometimes you make your own luck, and I believe that, but this is some charmed-life luck here.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

San Fran has done pretty well in taking on previously injury-prone superstars and getting 14-17 games per season out of them, giving up only mid-round picks for their trouble. 

They first added Trent Williams at age 32, coming off an entire missed age 31 season, who'd missed, 2, 4, 6, and 3 games the 4 seasons before that (the only season across that stretch where he didn't miss time to injury he missed 1/4 of the season with a suspension for PEDs). Since then he's missed 2-3 games per season, elite in the other 14-15, and has never played better in his career before that. Went from being probably top 5-ish at his position to being the best of the best year after year (or if there's been any separation between him and a healthy Tyron Smith it's a meaningless separation at that).

Then a couple years later they trade for the ultra injury prone Christian McCaffrey and he becomes an every-game workhorse.

And in between there he burns 3 first round picks on a guy who's seen the field only slightly more than Christian Hackenberg, and still ends up with a young FQB. 

Yeah sometimes you make your own luck, and I believe that, but this is some charmed-life luck here.

Don't they play on natural grass in SF?  If so, that probably makes a huge difference in terms of injuries and wear and tear on players' bodies.

It seems like the 49ers and every other team have an endless supply of cap room. How come we're always short of extra cap space when we want to sign or re-sign a player ?

Their QB is earning peanuts.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Could’ve had Wirf instead Becton. Or CeeDee. Or Justin Jefferson. All were on people’s radar ant that pick except our exceptional GMs. 

Yeah..coulda had Dan Marino, too.

We all look forward to seeing some applications if JD is fired next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Big Snell said:

It seems like the 49ers and every other team have an endless supply of cap room. How come we're always short of extra cap space when we want to sign or re-sign a player ?

Oh please. Every team has issues with the cap. The Jets don't want to sign Reddick to a contract extension. If they did they could work it out. 

• Upvote 1

In a way, I'm OK with Trent Williams returning to the 9ers. I realize that will make the game even more challenging for us, but think of the huge up-side if we win the game w/o Reddick. 9ers at full strength, lose to the Jets who are still waiting for their best pass rusher.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Could’ve had Wirf instead Becton. Or CeeDee. Or Justin Jefferson. All were on people’s radar ant that pick except our exceptional GMs. 

Yeah, but QBs rule the league and it's not like the Jets passed up on Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

• I don't understand how these players sign long term contracts that make them the highest paid, and then they hold out after a few years when they are no longer the highest paid.  An escalator should be built into the contract or the player should get an out.  Otherwise, play out your contract.
  • I think the Jets are more inclined to take a harder line on these issues.  That my guess comes from Woody at the top.
  • Either Reddick is some type of crazy, or the Jets are not budging.   Reddick needs a restructure now just to pay his fines.   Just trade him already (but the trade needs an escalator, because Reddick will hit is playing time targets on another team-the Jets would have made sure he did not.  

19 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • I don't understand how these players sign long term contracts that make them the highest paid, and then they hold out after a few years when they are no longer the highest paid.  An escalator should be built into the contract or the player should get an out.  Otherwise, play out your contract.
  • I think the Jets are more inclined to take a harder line on these issues.  That my guess comes from Woody at the top.
  • Either Reddick is some type of crazy, or the Jets are not budging.   Reddick needs a restructure now just to pay his fines.   Just trade him already (but the trade needs an escalator, because Reddick will hit is playing time targets on another team-the Jets would have made sure he did not.  

What if 2 players have an escalator built in (I get $1M more than the highest paid QB) that causes their salaries to go to infinity?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

In a way, I'm OK with Trent Williams returning to the 9ers. I realize that will make the game even more challenging for us, but think of the huge up-side if we win the game w/o Reddick. 9ers at full strength, lose to the Jets who are still waiting for their best pass rusher.

What if we lose though?   Lol

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Elite training staff + not playing on MetLife turf?