Bears #1 Overall pick QB Caleb Williams.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Found this interesting nugget from NFL.com:

That victory had ZERO to do with Caleb WIlliams.

His team won that game despite him (definitely not because of him) with great special teams & defense.

It was by pure luck that one of his several batted passes, wasn't picked off.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

His team won that game despite him, with great special teams & defense.

Oh I agree completely. He was saved by the rest of the team (and by the opponent).

But the context is that #1 pick QBs overall tend to struggle in game 1. And likely game 2, game 3, and so on.

On the flip side - I remember how Sanchez started 3-0 in his first year with us. And Darnold's first game was pretty hot too. Still didn't mean anything.

11 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Oh I agree completely. He was saved by the rest of the team (and by the opponent).

But the context is that #1 pick QBs overall tend to struggle in game 1. And likely game 2, game 3, and so on.

On the flip side - I remember how Sanchez started 3-0 in his first year with us. And Darnold's first game was pretty hot too. Still didn't mean anything.

Some guys just take longer to really hit their peak, you need look no further than Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill & Geno Smith, who were all late bloomers. Even Peyton Manning took quite a few seasons to really hit his stride.

It may not even take Williams that long - it's just one game - but damn, I don't think he could have played much worse. How he responds the next few weeks, will tell a lot about his mental toughness.

Honestly, most USC QB's have historically struggled in the NFL.

The only USC QB I can think of who really had a pretty good NFL career was Carson Palmer.

Sanchez had a couple of good seasons on some very strong Jets teams, before he took a nose-dive.

The Jury is still out on Darnold.

Maybe Williams can buck that stigma.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

Some guys just take longer to really hit their peak, you need look no further than Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill & Geno Smith.

Yup. You can probably add Goff to that list too.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

His team won that game despite him, with great special teams & defense.

It was by pure luck that one of his batted passes wasn't picked off.

And Stroud benefitted from two defensive penalties that negated two INTs.  The Phins benefitted from Etienne fumbling into the endzone on the verge of going up 24-7.  The Patriots benefitted from a goal line strip, a fumbled punt return and Hunter Henry batting down a RZ pick.  

It was one game.  

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Didn't see the USC bit ... I was just thinking of highly drafted QBs in general.

Gotcha, Goff played for CAL.

If you look at Goff's career, his only really poor season was his rookie season - where he only started a few games.

Other than that, he's played at a pretty high level his whole career.

Jared Goff NFL career stats - Google Search

34 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm not saying he's going to suck over the long haul, but he definitely chewed the high hard one yesterday.

All I've been hearing about this kid is how poised & polished he is, how nothing is too big for him.

I watched an interview with him where he said "I don't get nervous, I haven't been nervous about a game since my first start in High School, any game I play now, is just another game".

He may turn out to be the Best QB of the draft class......but the whole "I don't get nervous" speech, was obviously bullsh!t.

The game could be too fast for you and also not be nervous at the same time. I saw a stat of first round quarterbacks and their first ever game. Most of them were atrocious. Doesn’t mean it was because of nerves. They just simply are not ready. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The hype machine has been touting Caleb Williams non-stop, the entire off-season.

Bears QB Caleb Williams stats today vs the Titans: 14 of 29 for 93 yds?

48.2% completion percentage and couldn't even throw for 100 yds?

Really??

If I was a Bears fan, I wouldn't feel very good about that performance.

You.

7 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Yep, I said that already several times.

Also you.

You cannot have it both ways.

The little I saw of him on RZ.  You saw his rookie mistakes and you saw why people have been talking about him for the past three years.  Maybe, he never fulfills his potential and in three years we are looking at him like we do Trevor.  Good, but not what he was hyped to be.  

so we had to wait freaking three years for Wilson to develop but are piling on the guy in his first start (which they won) .

the jets have had the worst QB performance in the league the past 4 years and Joe used a first round pick to get that performance .

Jets best beat the Titans next week like the Bears did.

23 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

You.

Also you.

You cannot have it both ways.

The little I saw of him on RZ.  You saw his rookie mistakes and you saw why people have been talking about him for the past three years.  Maybe, he never fulfills his potential and in three years we are looking at him like we do Trevor.  Good, but not what he was hyped to be.  

Dude you're cherry picking;

Me:

Some guys just take longer to really hit their peak, you need look no further than Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill & Geno Smith, who were all late bloomers. Even Peyton Manning took quite a few seasons to really hit his stride.

It may not even take Williams that long - it's just one game - but damn, I don't think he could have played much worse. How he responds the next few weeks, will tell a lot about his mental toughness.

Honestly, most USC QB's have historically struggled in the NFL.

The only USC QB I can think of who really had a pretty good NFL career was Carson Palmer.

Sanchez had a couple of good seasons on some very strong Jets teams, before he took a nose-dive.

The Jury is still out on Darnold.

Maybe Williams can buck that stigma.

I haven't "decided" he sucks, but he sure sucked yesterday.

Also me.

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

so we had to wait freaking three years for Wilson to develop but are piling on the guy in his first start (which they won) .

the jets have had the worst QB performance in the league the past 4 years and Joe used a first round pick to get that performance .

Jets best beat the Titans next week like the Bears did.

Less that zero chance they won't.

• Haha 1

Everyone is in a massive rush to have hot takes all the time.  Peyton Manning led the league in interceptions as a rookie, and he turned out ok.  Rookie QBs are basically never good.  Other than Stroud last year, the next best rookie seasons by QBs in recent memories were Mac Jones and Trevor Lawrence.  Mac went to the pro bowl as an alternate, but is now Lawrence's backup.

The first year expectations for Williams and Daniels in particular were stupid so many people were projecting were always stupid.

Obviously not going to make any definitive statements on his career but there were many of us who said, "how does this translate"?  And the first game kind of showed why there were concerns w/ his style working in the NFL.

I think the scary part if you're a Bears fan is that he looked like a worse version of Justin Fields, who was finally turning the corner in Chicago before they gave him to the Steelers to make their SB run behind his leadership and dynamic play and they gave him away for peanuts.  You cant help but think they should have traded their pick for a ransom and built around undefeated baller, Justin Fields.

Honestly, kind of reminds of Sam Darnold and the Jets w/ Zach Wilson.  Crazy to think there is a franchise w/ a worse QB history than the Jets.  Downgraded the position w/ a worse version of the guy they just gave up on.

That said, nothing better than getting a W despite your rookie QB's abysmal play.  Figuring it out while winning, is better than figuring it out while losing.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the norm will eventually shift back to sitting these guys for at least the first few weeks of the season.

There is basically all risk and no reward throwing these early QB picks out there so soon. 

There were two QBs in the most recent draft that got overwhelming high grades from most teams: the first two guys drafted Williams and Daniels. Maye was drafted overall third but his grades not as super high. The only QB in the 2021 draft rated that high was Lawrence. All the others incl Zach had marginal good evaluations. And the only one who made it as a franchise QB is Lawrence. So I'd bet that Williams and Daniels will end up being pretty good. It takes time and starts usually to play well at that position. And Lawrence struggled during his rookie year. 

Caleb Williams week 2 performance:

23/37, 174 yards, 0 TDs & 2 INTs for a 51.0 passer rating, 4.7 yards per attempt average.

Sacked 7 times, hit 11 times.

Williams particularly struggled in the second half as the pressure grew and sped up his decision-making. Both of his interceptions Sunday night came in the final two quarters as he tried to make things happen. After going 12-of-15 for 91 yards and a 91.9 passer rating in the first half, the QB completed 11 of 22 attempts for 83 yards, two INTs and a 21.6 rating in the second half.

Williams particularly struggled against the blitz. The No. 1 pick earned a 4.9 passer rating versus the blitz in Week 2, per Next Gen Stats -- the worst in any game in the NGS era (2016, min. 20 dropbacks versus blitz). Against the blitz, Williams went 3-of-12 passing with five sacks and an interception.

I think it's going to be a long season for this young man.

On 9/9/2024 at 12:41 PM, Ruby2 said:

I wonder if the norm will eventually shift back to sitting these guys for at least the first few weeks of the season.

There is basically all risk and no reward throwing these early QB picks out there so soon. 

The biggest problem with that is, you want the QB on that rookie contract to maximize the team.   You let him sit for 3 years like Love, he has a good 10-12 games, and you have to pay him mega bucks.

But yes, I totally agree these kids are better off sitting a year.  Especially as so many are coming out early, and are barely 21.

• Upvote 1

They have Moore who they just paid and a high-level prospect in Odunze they can't the ball to because Caleb Williams is running for his life back there 😅

Did they think the OL issues would magically go away once they shipped Fields out of town?

Caleb isn't your traditional pocket passer either.

He's used to clean pockets where he can sit back for 10s and survey the field, or when he does have to, to be able to run around, buy time, and throw to superior athletes breaking free into acres of open grass 😂