Over Reaction City

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

People forget this but even healthy and young Aaron Rodgers was a coin flip in the playoffs 

And he's far from young he looks ancient out there 

He looked shaky but on the positive side his arm is as live as any in the NFL.  The ball exploded out of his hand.  The release and accuracy was there.  He did look a little wonky and slow but he hasn't faced any contact in over a year.  I was actually surprised how good he looked throwing the football.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Biggs said:

He looked shaky but on the positive side his arm is as live as any in the NFL.  The ball exploded out of his hand.  The release and accuracy was there.  He did look a little wonky and slow but he hasn't faced any contact in over a year.  I was actually surprised how good he looked throwing the football.  

He can throw it but can't move anymore

he's approaching Kenny Obrien levels of statue 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, Biggs said:

If they created plays that used other players and got the ball out quickly rodgers will be fine.  Use Corley, use the TEs and use another rb with breece as a decoy.  The offense needs to help rodgers not rely on him being an mvp

Just now, bitonti said:

He can throw it but can't move anymore

he's approaching Kenny Obrien levels of statue 

No he isn't.  He was nervous and a little shaky, he wasn't a statue.  He is slower of foot no question.  Looks like there's plenty left in the tank.  Not sure he has the head for it anymore but he still has the skill.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

The niners left numerous tds on the field by drops and penalties- three of those fgs should have been tds - the game was even worse than the score indicated- we let a relatively unknown rb put almost 150 on us - cmac would have rushed for 300 if he played 

Any RB can run when the oline is getting the push that sf was. I don’t think CMC moves the needle either way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If they created plays that used other players and got the ball out quickly rodgers will be fine.  Use Corley, use the TEs and use another rb with breece as a decoy.  The offense needs to help rodgers not rely on him being an mvp

Hackett is useless.  It's up to Rodgers to figure this out.  This is old school where the QB is drawing up the plays.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Reddick would have made a difference on some of the passing downs... 

The run d is another issue 

Hard to say but reddick is a three down player so he might helped against the run.  The niners were basically running right up the middle.  Nothing fancy.  They were just pushing the jet dline right out of the way..

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Jets are a playoff team ( should ) won 7 games with worst qb play in entire league last yr. Oline was pretty bad too. The patchwork on OL should hold up for this yr at least. And even if we had a decent backup like Tyrod Taylor we make the playoffs last yr. If we’re able to win with Zach Wilson and guys who are no longer in NFL. 9ers have had a top 2, top 3 team for years. I think they were easily best team in NFL last yr. KC got lucky breaks in Super Bowl , and mohomes is tough when he is on. But we saw even average teams beat up them with ease last yr at times. 

This is a new year brother and different team, last year is irrelevant tbh 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This is a new year brother and different team, last year is irrelevant tbh 

It is, but we must use it as a gauge. Our D carried the team last yr, 7 wins with worst qb in the NFL is an accomplishment. The D is same if not improved? I laughed at all the “ best roster in NFL “ garbage thrown out there. We are not as GREAT as the paper says. But we definitely are a very good team who should have little problem making playoffs barring critical injuries. 

I don't think its an overreaction to say the our defense got pushed around all night and let an undrafted RB dominate them. I also don't think it's an overreaction to say the the offensive playcalling was remarkably poor and didn't spread the ball around and utilize all the weapons at it's disposal.

I realize it's only one game but this was a terrible way to come out of the gate for what is supposed to be one of the dominant teams in the AFC. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The people who thought this was a top 5 roster weren’t looking at the roster. 

I still think it is a top 5 roster. Please tell me what I need to look at?

What I saw last night was a defense that played nickel most of the night. Is that a roster issue or a coach not adjusting to the situation?

The Jets played 6 in the box all night, and Shanahan exploited it and Ulbrich didn't adjust. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And what are they? Do tell.

For at least one week, they were a team who's vaunted top-5 D got it's sh*t pushed in in a very nonconsensual way all night long, and an offense that may have at times looked better than the Wilson-led Jets, but didn't really produce any better.  A team's whose playmakers didn't make any real plays, especially on D.  They looked completely unready to play at the 49'ers level, and were dominated pretty much all night long by the 9'ers.

Now, it's week 1.  And clearly Saleh's "no one plays in PS" did not prepare them very well, that much was obvious (or should have been) to even the most dismissive homer.  Yes, the 9'ers are a top team, but we were completely unable to compete against them.  Maybe they'll come out, as @JiFtheOracle  says, and pull off 4 strait wins and be 4-1.

But nothing about what we saw last night indicates a team that can or will do that.  So we'll see.  Week 1, Week 1, Week 1.  Best Jets roster ever, I get it. On paper.  For one week at least, it was the same old sh*t.

So we'll see. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It is, but we must use it as a gauge. Our D carried the team last yr, 7 wins with worst qb in the NFL is an accomplishment. The D is same if not improved? I laughed at all the “ best roster in NFL “ garbage thrown out there. We are not as GREAT as the paper says. But we definitely are a very good team who should have little problem making playoffs barring critical injuries. 

No the D is clearly different, no huff or JFM and this D looks completely different 

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And what are they? Do tell.

Right now?  In one, run-on sentence:  They are a poorly coached albeit talented team with a severely regressed defense (particularly against the run) and an offense that is dependent on an old, immobile quarterback trying to compensate for the transgressions of his untalented offensive coordinator as well as the lack of WR talent provided by his overrated, over-employed GM.

They're a 9-8 team at best.

Here’s the real reality! We may fight for a wild card spot and get into the playoffs. This is not a championship roster. And our coaching staff is completely overmatched every game. Douglas signs too many free agents with question marks. All these one year deals with guys either coming off injury or age, etc. too many of you guys looked at this team on paper and felt it was championship level. It’s really not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Game felt over at half with how badly the TOP was going. Then the Niners came out and went down the field. 

It definitely wasn’t, the Jets actually had the longest ToP scoring drive in the first half.

Even after the 9ers scored to open the half, not answering with a score hurt the most. They had two turnovers, the deflected int and on downs.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Right now?  In one, run-on sentence:  They are a poorly coached albeit talented team with a severely regressed defense (particularly against the run) and an offense that is dependent on an old, immobile quarterback trying to compensate for the transgressions of his untalented offensive coordinator as well as the lack of WR talent provided by his overrated, over-employed GM.

They're a 9-8 team at best.

They played nickel almost exclusively last night. When SF brought in 12 personnel, they stayed in nickel. The coaches should have loaded the box and forced them in 3rd and long situations.

The defensive coaches didn't adjust. That was the problem.

22 minutes ago, Claymation said:

What I saw last night was a defense that played nickel most of the night. Is that a roster issue or a coach not adjusting to the situation?

The Jets played 6 in the box all night, and Shanahan exploited it and Ulbrich didn't adjust. 

I was wondering why they didn’t have 5 down DL until later in the third.

• Upvote 1

The key to not over reacting is not to let your expectations get overheated. I’m on a strictly “show me” basis for investing hope in this team, now, and I haven’t been upset about the performance on the field in years.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

No the D is clearly different, no huff or JFM and this D looks completely different 

It’s 1 game.. There is no excuses. This was actually probably just what they needed. To go up against the best early, and be humbled back into fighting and proving themselves. The 9ers O not what they have experience dealing with. Good they faced it now so they can get a taste of them. Much better than facing them for first time in the playoffs, and you know what game that would be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

They played nickel almost exclusively last night. When SF brought in 12 personnel, they stayed in nickel. The coaches should have loaded the box and forced them in 3rd and long situations.

The defensive coaches didn't adjust. That was the problem.

See:  the first part of my run-on sentence

Just now, jgb said:

The key to not over reacting is not to let your expectations get overheated. I’m on a strictly “show me” basis for investing hope in this team, now, and I haven’t been upset about the performance on the field in years.

Exactly, some just love to eat the magic mushrooms that shows we are great on paper every yr lol.  This was by far best team on jets schedule. Glad it came early and not late.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Claymation said:

with all due respect you are crazy if you think this is a top 5 roster -I never understand this theme that has been pushed hard the entire off season -we are fringe top 10 if we are lucky and we have one of the worst coaches going .

The Texans are everything we hoped the jets would be-tons of talent and a great blend of youth and vets -LOADED offense  across the board and a good young coach -I would give my left nut to have their roster over ours

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Deebo. Mason. No way they played Purdy without their starting oline. Kittle played 

Right on, the Jets played Clemons, Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!, Willy D, if we really wanna go tit for tat.  I dont think a few snaps matters that much but could be wrong.  They certainly didnt play well.  And they played starters last year and they still couldnt score vs. the Bills, so idk, dont really have much of a opinion other then, it's the norm now.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Exactly, some just love to eat the magic mushrooms that shows we are great on paper every yr lol.  This was by far best team on jets schedule. Glad it came early and not late.

I’m not a young man anymore just can’t put myself through that anymore lol 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Considering how the Jets treated the preseason, how could anyone be surprised they got the sh*t kicked out of them in the trenches?

• Upvote 2