NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick

JetNation

Haason-Reddick.jpg

A report from Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com says that in speaking to execs around the league, there are those who believe the Jets may have “no choice” but to trade Haason Reddick.

Haason-Reddick-300x200.jpg

Dec 3, 2023; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Haason Reddick (7) reacts after a defensive stop against the San Francisco 49ers during the first quarter at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

The disgruntled edge rusher who recently demanded a trade, has amassed over $5 million in fines for failing to report this season as he hopes for a bigger pay day.  He will continue to rack up roughly $800,000 per week as he is now losing game checks.

Gang Green dealt for Reddick this offseason after, according to Connor Hughes of SNY, believing Reddick would play ball.  The Jets believed Reddick was going to come in to camp and work toward earning a new deal.

Meanwhile, Reddick and his camp say he has no plan to report withing first getting his new deal.  Both sides are dug in deep but at some point something will have to give.

Following their season-opening loss, Reddick likely believed his position was strengthened as Robert Saleh’s defense generated close to zero pass rush.

The post NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• More Ugh 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

According to Jake Asman, Jets talking to Reddick again.

JD committed the ultimate negotiation sin: made a threat he wasn’t willing to follow through on. Will cost ‘em.

JD's position has literally not changed since day 1. not sure what you are talking about.

ASSman repeated what Hughes said, which is JD has spoken to Tory Dumbass.....which i am sure means very little and isnt new.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

JD's position has literally not changed since day 1. not sure what you are talking about.

ASSman repeated what Hughes said, which is JD has spoken to Tory Dumbass.....which i am sure means very little and isnt new.

Hard to sort through the nicknames, but if it is true that JD is talking to Reddick’s reps, that’s a cave in… from the very foolish stand that the player needs to report to talk at all. Unforced negotiation error.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hard to sort through the nicknames, but if it is true that JD is talking to Reddick’s reps, that’s a cave in… from the very foolish stand that the player needs to report to talk at all. Unforced negotiation error.

To be fair, simply being in contact and actually negotiating are two different things. Perhaps JD is just gauging their temperature on flying out? Or perhaps it's anonymous speculative hogwash. Who knows?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is it possible that HR’s agent is telling him to sit because Douglas will likely be fired at the end of the year and the next Jets GM would likely release him? Hell he could go back to Philly.

I was thinking about this. Given how crazy this holdout has been so far, nothing is out of the question.

But based on everything I've read so far, not only would Reddick lose his year's salary, but he would actually be like 1m-2m in the red with pre season fines for the year. Doesn't that seem... Untenable? For a guy who's holding out for more money? Even aside the obvious logic that another team isn't going to magically give him a big contract next off season after all this...

You have to feel like he'll report just in time for week 10. Maybe he will simply get "injured" at that point?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

But why not just play, not pay fines and then be a free agent..?

So he doesn't suffer a career ending or ruining injury, get released, and never earn another cent?

The real question is why he won't come negotiate with the Jets to get his guaranteed money. The answer is, apparently, that he wants a long term deal. But the approach doesn't match the destination for him lol

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is it possible that HR’s agent is telling him to sit because Douglas will likely be fired at the end of the year and the next Jets GM would likely release him? Hell he could go back to Philly.

Lots of things are possible and unknowable. That’s why I play the odds. It was a bad play for JD to publicly announce he requires Reddick’s physical presence to negotiate a new deal. Bought the Jets nothing and self-restricted his freedom of action. The best leverage comes with insouciance at the table, not an explicit threat. True leverage is a weight on the other party. He doesn’t need to be told about it… he feels it.

11 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

But why not just play, not pay fines and then be a free agent..?

Injury

• Upvote 2

The obvious way forward here is for JD to run a canard play. Get a weak concession to be able to justify the reversal of his position to not talk before Reddick reports. Could range from, the low end, asking Reddick to agree to another physical or, on the high end, getting Reddick to report as a hold in. That’s what I’d be trying for right now if I was JD.

The ultimate fallback position is to get a letter of intent that both parties agree to negotiate “in good faith,” if that’s how this goes, JD about to get steamrolled.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

you do realize that agents talk to GM's regularly, not to mention that Tory Dumbass represents others players on the jets right? i know you are trying to visualize the jets caving to this scumbag....but it wont happen....let him rot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you do realize that agents talk to GM's regularly, not to mention that Tory Dumbass represents others players on the jets right? i know you are trying to visualize the jets caving to this scumbag....but it wont happen....let him rot.

I do realize agents talk to GMs regularly, without the player being present. Please let JD know that, since he claims “precedent” as his justification for negotiation incompetence.

Regarding the “let him rot” comment — well, let’s hope JD isn’t as emotional about this as us fans.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

Keep in mind that for 99% of the population, their negotiation experience is limited to a new car lease every 5 years and probably 90% of them rely on the old “storm out” technique as their “power move.”

No one thinks they’d just be a good oncologist without education and experience, but everyone thinks they’d be a boss negotiator.

You're talking about people who can't believe Douglas has to play out the season without an extension while at the same time fully expecting Reddick to play out the season without an extension. Most amateurs' negotiation strategy is to filibuster until the other side just gives up and lets them have their way. You can tell who has had success with this, because then they try to do it on everybody in every instance regardless of whether it is actually within anybody's power to accede to their demands.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

feels like Reddicks agents trying to apply pressure on top of the sh*t game.

Wouldn’t you?

I still think he eventually tucks his tail and shows up prior to the cutoff to get credit for the year. JD gains nothing by trading him at a loss.

He will definitely show up with 6 weeks left to accrue the year. That’s 10 games from now, though.

The schedule looks much easier after SF.

It does but these remain the New York Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

You're talking about people who can't believe Douglas has to play out the season without an extension while at the same time fully expecting Reddick to play out the season without an extension. Most amateurs' negotiation strategy is to filibuster until the other side just gives up and lets them have their way. You can tell who has had success with this, because then they try to do it on everybody in every instance regardless of whether it is actually within anybody's power to accede to their demands.

I hire you to represent me at my next negotiation 

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I do realize agents talk to GMs regularly, without the player being present. Please let JD know that, since he claims “precedent” as his justification for negotiation incompetence.

Regarding the “let him rot” comment — well, let’s hope JD isn’t as emotional about this as us fans.

Joe Douglas has been very clear over and over.....u just think u know better or are smarter...neither of which is true.

• More Ugh 1