*** Thursday Night Football - Bills vs Fish***

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Sign him and give him a month to try to learn the playbook that’s probably their only realistic option to save their season 

They've got 10 days till their next game - he could maybe even be ready to go for Week 3, at least as the backup, if they sign him today.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They've got 10 days till their next game - he could maybe even be ready to go for Week 3, at least as the backup, if they sign him today.

Yeah, a vet like Tannehill doesn’t need a month to play.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Tua was given a $43 million signing bonus. He was guaranteed $93 million when he signed the contract. Another $54 million becomes guaranteed in March of 2025.

The biggest part of that would be the $54 million, which he may not get. So at worst, he walks away with $136 million. 

That's the new money, he also has the money he made from his initial contract, which was about 50 for the first 5 years.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Can I retire with that severance package?

It's freaking nuts if he continues to play. 

Guy is set for life and his kids kids would be set for life. Get out of there and enjoy your family. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Tua I doubt hangs it up.

He should… but he won’t. And it will be controversial. Bc I can guarantee you with his history this won’t be his last concussion.

I’m positive multiple doctors will tell him to stop. But he won’t listen.

That all being said. He should’ve gotten down yesterday. He easily could have but chose to take a hit. I think that’s why McDaniels seemed pissed. I’m sure there’s been countless conversations given Tua’s history to not take hits. Get down even if it’s a bad loss. Given up yards, etc. And I know it’s easier said than done in the heat of a competitive game. But he’s the one bc of his history that needed to be forced to change his instincts. To protect himself. And he didn’t. And I hope the guy is ok. Because hits like that when you have his history are life threatening. Not just a headache for a few days.

It is pretty wild to see that with Tua’s history they didn’t do more at backup QB. They’re worse than we are at QB depth last year.

But as I stated. I don’t think Tua misses more than a few weeks. Which will be controversial.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you're saying came to be the outcome, but does not seem smart at all. It becomes a question of at what point the NFL feels the need to step in and make the decision for him. They certainly could be motivated for both liability reasons and just general PR if this continues to be talked about.

The only question is if the league stepped in, what stance would the NFLPA take? That would not be an easy one for them, as I'm sure it's not a precedent they would want set, but that could get dangerous if they fight it in this particular case.

But to your point, seeing what's happened with Tua in the past I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they all did nothing and simply kept quiet until everything calmed down publicly and have him go back out there only then.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I told the wife every time she buys a new pair of shoes I will buy a new golf club.

I now own 6 full sets of clubs.

(May or may not be married, may be lieing about shoes and clubs)

How many clubs in a set? There's something about shoes... I have a closet full 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I wouldn't be surprised if what you're saying came to be the outcome, but does not seem smart at all. It becomes a question of at what point the NFL feels the need to step in and make the decision for him. They certainly could be motivated for both liability reasons and just general PR if this continues to be talked about.

The only question is if the league stepped in, what stance would the NFLPA take? That would not be an easy one for them, as I'm sure it's not a precedent they would want set, but that could get dangerous if they fight it in this particular case.

But to your point, seeing what's happened with Tua in the past I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they all did nothing and simply kept quiet until everything calmed down publicly and have him go back out there only then.

Yeah, it will be really interesting to see what happens if he tries to keep playing. There will definitely be people calling on the NFL to step in. The PA’s stance will also be interesting. I also would think there would be some legal precedent regarding a person’s right to work at their desired profession, and that he would have some type of case that they can’t ban him for personal health reasons if he is capable of doing the job.

No chance he’s retiring , that’s not how these guys are wired . We’ll see him by week 6 . One more potentially unpopular opinion, if he was the Jets QB I feel like there would be a lot fewer posters calling for him to retire lol…just saying . 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

Tua was given a $43 million signing bonus. He was guaranteed $93 million when he signed the contract. Another $54 million becomes guaranteed in March of 2025.

The biggest part of that would be the $54 million, which he may not get. So at worst, he walks away with $136 million. 

was 54mm guaranteed for injury?

Tua should have retired the last time and the time before that and probably the time before that.   This is a very bad look for the NFL.  I suspect they are going to work out a big compensation deal to get him to willingly retire.   It's in the NFL's interest to keep him out of the game at this point.

Tua really needs to retire. Does he want to end up as an extremely wealthy vegetable, or is he content retiring as a very wealthy young man?

Yes, he would be walking away from many millions of dollars...but he would also be walking away with a lot of money, and his health.

As for the Phish...still can't believe they gave that much guaranteed money to a player with Tua's concussion history.

Imagine you were the Miami Dolphins front office planning the July 2024 Tua contract. Given his concussion history, surely you insist on a clause, a fiscal escape hatch, if your star QB is forced to retire following yet another concussion?

Imagine before his contract is signed, you are an insurance company approached by the Dolphins or Tua's management about a policy to insure Tua in the event of a career ending concussion. Would any insurance company in the world have been willing to insure such a high risk individual ?

The man, that football contract, has to be uninsurable... right?

20 minutes ago, Jolot said:

No chance he’s retiring , that’s not how these guys are wired . We’ll see him by week 6 . One more potentially unpopular opinion, if he was the Jets QB I feel like there would be a lot fewer posters calling for him to retire lol…just saying . 

I mean yeah, if he was our QB, I would want him to play his career out. 

Butttttt he's not lol. 

There's gotta be doctors advising against playing right?? Like this seems like an easy decision with his history.

48 minutes ago, Jolot said:

What?  Jet fans hate their own players, coaches, owner etc etc etc.  They would have wanted him retired before all of this.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think Tannehill is good enough anymore to make the playoffs in a loaded AFC with a bad OL. 

They will probably never do it, but if Tua is really done, the Dolphins should tank with Thompson and then draft a legit QB prospect in round 1 next year (and bring in another veteran stopgap in the offseason to compete with him). 

They never should have kept Thompson over White, but that ship has sailed. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Jolot said:

By the way …slightly off topic but this is why guys like Reddick hold out for every penny …and we can’t blame them one bit . 

cant blame him for wanting every penny. i blame him for holding out. there is no way JD made this trade with Reddick telling him he was never stepping into the building until he got a new contract.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

He turned into a ragdoll again in prime time, the NFL may want him to retire at this point.

I think this is a good point. It's a really bad look for a league trying to appear as if they're concerned with head injuries for this guy to keep being trotted out there and convulsing on the ground.

The league probably doesn't have authority to stop him from playing but may try to convince him in some way.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't think Tannehill is good enough anymore to make the playoffs in a loaded AFC with a bad OL. 

They will probably never do it, but if Tua is really done, the Dolphins should tank with Thompson and then draft a legit QB prospect in round 1 next year (and bring in another veteran stopgap in the offseason to compete with him). 

They never should have kept Thompson over White, but that ship has sailed. 

They can't afford to tank with this much offensive talent + a strong system.  Would have to trade Tyreek Hill to make that happen, because a few more lollipop off target throws from Skylar Thompson and Hill will strangle someone.

Tannehill would keep things stable.  And let's face it, he might be about as good or better than Tua even at age 36.  Tua was more "dynamic", to be sure, but also made an awful lot of boneheaded throws that Tannehill won't make.  He'll just look to get it to his playmakers quickly and let them go to work.  Achane and Waddle would thrive with him (or continue to thrive as they did with Tua, I suppose) and though Hill's productivity might take a little hit he would get a bunch of nice YAC plays.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is a good point. It's a really bad look for a league trying to appear as if they're concerned with head injuries for this guy to keep being trotted out there and convulsing on the ground.

The league probably doesn't have authority to stop him from playing but may try to convince him in some way.

Give him a specially-approved pension of sorts + a job with the league office (or wherever he wants within the league - coaching/analysis/etc) post-retirement.  Easy.

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What?  Jet fans hate their own players, coaches, owner etc etc etc.  They would have wanted him retired before all of this.  

I like to think it’s more we love winning and losing makes us unreasonable and grumpy. Especially a decade of it! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

His contract has a $167 mil guaranteed for injury which he gets if (and when) the doctors tell him he can’t play again. The league is going to want this walking reminder of their long-held malfeasance toward concussions all the way out of football because scraping him off the field is an almost annual occurrence. Stephen Ross is going to have to eat it; but that’s his stupid fault for signing Tua in the first place. Just so foolish on so many levels. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They can't afford to tank with this much offensive talent + a strong system.  Would have to trade Tyreek Hill to make that happen, because a few more lollipop off target throws from Skylar Thompson and Hill will strangle someone.

Tannehill would keep things stable.  And let's face it, he might be about as good or better than Tua even at age 36.  Tua was more "dynamic", to be sure, but also made an awful lot of boneheaded throws that Tannehill won't make.  He'll just look to get it to his playmakers quickly and let them go to work.  Achane and Waddle would thrive with him (or continue to thrive as they did with Tua, I suppose) and though Hill's productivity might take a little hit he would get a bunch of nice YAC plays.

I dont think you’ve been watching Tannehill for the last couple of seasons 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Dolphins should call David Tepper and see if they’ll give them Bryce Young for a pack of draft picks. Talk about an owner who needs to get his mistakes out of town. Tepper forced the Panthers to take Young over Stroud. 

In his defense the Texans would have taken Young over Stroud as well 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dolphins should call David Tepper and see if they’ll give them Bryce Young for a pack of draft picks. Talk about an owner who needs to get his mistakes out of town. Tepper forced the Panthers to take Young over Stroud. 

Oh boy, I dare them to do that.

Bryce Young looks like a middle schooler out there and is probably a huge bust. 

Funnily enough, he had the exact same QBR (33.4) last year that Zach had in 2021. 

• Upvote 2