PFF: Lowest-graded Jets players on defense vs. the Titans

The New York Jets beat the Tennessee Titans, 24-17, in their Week 2 contest at Nissan Stadium.

Statistics will always help determine who played well (or not). So will the eye test. But why not get a little bit deeper with some help from the analytics folks at Pro Football Focus?

With that, here are the five highest-graded players from the Jets (1-1) defense against the Titans (0-2😞

5, DL Javon Kinlaw

Tennessee Titans quarterback Will Levis (8) is pressured by New York Jets defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw (54) during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.
Tennessee Titans quarterback Will Levis (8) is pressured by New York Jets defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw (54) during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.© Denny Simmons / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

PFF grade: 53.7.

4. DE Micheal Clemons

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - DECEMBER 03: Micheal Clemons #72 of the New York Jets waits in the tunnel before the game against the Atlanta falcons during their game at MetLife Stadium on December 03, 2023 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - DECEMBER 03: Micheal Clemons #72 of the New York Jets waits in the tunnel before the game against the Atlanta falcons during their game at MetLife Stadium on December 03, 2023 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)© Getty Images

PFF grade: 51.5.

3. LB Tak McKinley

Aug 24, 2024; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; New York Jets defensive end Takkarist McKinley (93) reacts to a defensive play against the New York Giants during the second half at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 24, 2024; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; New York Jets defensive end Takkarist McKinley (93) reacts to a defensive play against the New York Giants during the second half at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports© Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

PFF grade: 42.2.

2. SS Chuck Clark

New York Jets safety Chuck Clark (36) trips up Tennessee Titans running back Tony Pollard (20) during the fourth quarter at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.
New York Jets safety Chuck Clark (36) trips up Tennessee Titans running back Tony Pollard (20) during the fourth quarter at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.© Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

PFF grade: 41.9.

1. CB Sauce Gardner

Tennessee Titans wide receiver Calvin Ridley (0) heads for the end zone pylon as New York Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner (1) tries to close during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.
Tennessee Titans wide receiver Calvin Ridley (0) heads for the end zone pylon as New York Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner (1) tries to close during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.© Denny Simmons / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

PFF grade: 36.5.

@Barry McCockinner

If you have comparison stats, please welcome to share.  

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The New York Jets beat the Tennessee Titans, 24-17, in their Week 2 contest at Nissan Stadium.

Statistics will always help determine who played well (or not). So will the eye test. But why not get a little bit deeper with some help from the analytics folks at Pro Football Focus?

With that, here are the five highest-graded players from the Jets (1-1) defense against the Titans (0-2😞

5, DL Javon Kinlaw

Tennessee Titans quarterback Will Levis (8) is pressured by New York Jets defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw (54) during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.
Tennessee Titans quarterback Will Levis (8) is pressured by New York Jets defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw (54) during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.© Denny Simmons / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

PFF grade: 53.7.

4. DE Micheal Clemons

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - DECEMBER 03: Micheal Clemons #72 of the New York Jets waits in the tunnel before the game against the Atlanta falcons during their game at MetLife Stadium on December 03, 2023 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - DECEMBER 03: Micheal Clemons #72 of the New York Jets waits in the tunnel before the game against the Atlanta falcons during their game at MetLife Stadium on December 03, 2023 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)© Getty Images

PFF grade: 51.5.

3. LB Tak McKinley

Aug 24, 2024; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; New York Jets defensive end Takkarist McKinley (93) reacts to a defensive play against the New York Giants during the second half at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 24, 2024; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; New York Jets defensive end Takkarist McKinley (93) reacts to a defensive play against the New York Giants during the second half at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports© Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

PFF grade: 42.2.

2. SS Chuck Clark

New York Jets safety Chuck Clark (36) trips up Tennessee Titans running back Tony Pollard (20) during the fourth quarter at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.
New York Jets safety Chuck Clark (36) trips up Tennessee Titans running back Tony Pollard (20) during the fourth quarter at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.© Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

PFF grade: 41.9.

1. CB Sauce Gardner

Tennessee Titans wide receiver Calvin Ridley (0) heads for the end zone pylon as New York Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner (1) tries to close during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.
Tennessee Titans wide receiver Calvin Ridley (0) heads for the end zone pylon as New York Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner (1) tries to close during their game at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024.© Denny Simmons / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

PFF grade: 36.5.

@Barry McCockinner

If you have comparison stats, please welcome to share.  

yes, I can make up stats to compare. I made the site so anyone can do it. see link in signature.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yes, I can make up stats to compare. I made the site so anyone can do it. see link in signature.

I get it. However, Sauce has been consistently bad in two games. What grade do you have for him from your sources? 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I get it. However, Sauce has been consistently bad in two games. What grade do you have for him from your sources? 

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the stats. I assume they're made up garbage so why spend any time discussing them?

I disagree with the idea that PFF should be taken seriously because they have made stats up in the past and were caught red handed. They lost all credibility that moment and should not be taken seriously yet they're now making up for 64.8% of all threads on JN according to PFF.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

PFF being garbage or not.  

Sauce had a tough game last week.  Wasn't particularly sharp in week 1 either.

I'm sure he'll figure it out - let's just hope it's sooner than later./

He will not make it to the probowl this year at the current pace. 

12 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Perfect coverage on a deep ball that miraculously went through the DBs hands 

I think perfect would have been Sauce locating the ball and making a play on it.  

He didn't.

Maybe it was because he saw Clark out of his peripheral and thought he had a better shot at the INT?

Either way, good position to prevent the catch but didn't actually prevent the catch.

Just now, revisandbutthead said:

I think unless he has a really terrible season, he will still make the Pro Bowl because so much of that voting is just name recognition

Nice nick and nice meeting you as well.  LMAO

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Maybe it was because he saw Clark out of his peripheral and thought he had a better shot at the INT?

im not buying this. Sause has 2 INTs in 35 games. he had none last year. i think this is how he normally plays the ball so even if Clark wasnt there i dont think he turns around.

hes just not a turn around type of player. or he would have more INTs.

• Upvote 1

Sauce doesn’t tackle so if he’s not locking down, it’s a big problem.

Seeing him live, it looked almost as if he was moving at 3/4 speed or something.

As if he’s so sure he’s not gonna get beat he doesn’t go 100%.

Hopefully he’s not managing an injury. 

NE is definitely going to test the CBs in run support on the edges this week.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

How is Clemons on this list if he’s actually kinda Hutchinson?  Lmfao pff is so dumb

and your counterpoint? Stop pointing and provide backup data. I am not defending PFF, but would love to read your reliable and credible information. 

51 minutes ago, doitny said:

im not buying this. Sause has 2 INTs in 35 games. he had none last year. i think this is how he normally plays the ball so even if Clark wasnt there i dont think he turns around.

hes just not a turn around type of player. or he would have more INTs.

PBU's aren't as big as interceptions (obviously), but you don't get 31 of them in two all-pro seasons if you don't turn around.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

So, according to PFF, Michael Clemons was one of our 5 worst defenders on Sunday.  And also according to PFF, he is second in the league in disruptive pressure rate through two games.  So either his first game was off the charts great, or PFF is hot garbage.

I know which one I am going with.

I love that the Clemons meme gets shared with this 🤣

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

and your counterpoint? Stop pointing and provide backup data. I am not defending PFF, but would love to read your reliable and credible information. 

Counter point to what?  They are the ones who compared his “pressure disruption rate” to Hutchinson and then proceed to grade him as a bottom 5 defender with an overall grade of 50 or whatever.  

• Upvote 1