So who would you pencil in as our new HC GM.

Maynard13

I think Doug Peterson gets fired this year. I’d have him in the short list of experienced HCs. I think Vance Joseph and Brian Flores will be defensive guys to consider that have had stints as HC.

Ben Johnson is probably the only guy I’d consider as a first timer.

I think Daboll will be fired. I’d try to get him on staff. Not as HC, but to give us a modern NFL offense and build us a QB.

GMs… harder to say. Detroit, SF, Balt are all loaded rosters. However, I don’t think poaching from the bottom rungs of those orgs is a good play. Get an old head who knows the game.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

"track record" is one pick really. one pick that has a 35% chance.

you're putting far too much weight on a 4th round dart throw and assuming a 5th round dart throw is already an L. Even if it ends up that way it's just a whatever. 

No good QB was taken after Wilson unless you want to argue that Justin Fields is a good QB @JiFtheOracle

At this point I think it's quite obvious that there was only 1 good QB taken in that draft, Justin Fields.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You think other owners aren’t a PIA ? Your dreaming. Plus a lot are lot cheaper than woody. Very few GMs can pick and choose where they want to go, others are dying for an opportunity that they rarely would get. Look at the joke of a gm the giants have. There will be two openings in NJ soon. Maybe giants and jets will share a gm too lol.

Being a pain in the ass is one thing, but developing a reputation bad enough (for whatever reason) that makes top shelf talent not want to work for you is another, and looking at the roster of GM's and HC's over the last 20 years, I'd say that's been happening.  Either that or that Woody simply doesn't want marquee names to steal his thunder. Either way, the Jets have been on the short end of the stick.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

"track record" is one pick really. one pick that has a 35% chance.

you're putting far too much weight on a 4th round dart throw and assuming a 5th round dart throw is already an L. Even if it ends up that way it's just a whatever. 

No good QB was taken after Wilson unless you want to argue that Justin Fields is a good QB @JiFtheOracle

No, its not.  The process needs to be sound for any pick a GM makes, including with midround QBs.  These are guys you hope to eventually be a cheap QB2.  Not guys who will be out of the league prior to the end of their rookie deals without taking a single snap. 

Instead of drafting trash QBs, Douglas could have been using those picks on pipeline Offensive Linemen, which we've desperately needed throughout his tenure.

• Upvote 1

Also, i think it’s hard for jd and woody to ignore that both geno and darnold are playing quite well and now they face darnold, the guy jd got rid of.  Woody has to be thinking that it’s not the drafting so much as the coaching, and also that all these defensive coaches can’t develop a qb.  So i hope if this gets torn down woody demands an offensive mind to come in here and focus on that side.  
Didn't we all hate the idea of hiring Kingsbury back when he was an option for HC?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Woody put JD in a lame duck “prove it, win or else” scenario and tightened the purse strings. Jets actual cash spending is way down this year compared to recent years.  Every NFL front office knows this. It’s public knowledge. 

Nobody is coming here. 

Woody is actually lucky JD didn’t tell him to shove it and go back to Baltimore or to a college program if we’re being serious here. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Woody put JD in a lame duck “prove it, win or else” scenario and tightened the purse strings. Jets actual cash spending is way down this year compared to recent years.  Every NFL front office knows this. It’s public knowledge. 

Nobody is coming here. 

Woody is actually lucky JD didn’t tell him to shove it and go back to Baltimore or to a college program if we’re being serious here. 

Someone will come here b/c they will get to draft their own qb and build their staff.  Only so many of these jobs.  

I like Beningo but his delusions about rehiring Rex Ryan (“the greatest coach in Jet history”) have to stop.

Over time he showed himself to be an embarrassing poser buffoon.

The Idzik situation where he would turn his body sideways to the camera and start spewing nonsense made him look completely unhinged.

Completely flamed out in Buffalo after detailing his truck with a freaking Bills theme.

20 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Lazy, groupthink take

In NFL matchup show last week Cosell breaks down how Fields is demonstrating clean pre- and post-snap awareness and execution.

It’s apparent if you actually watch him play he’s making strides as a passer and pocket QB.

All well and good. I still disagree with the original prediction that he'll be in the Super Bowl this year. :D  

Setting aside Ben Johnson who will never come here, the guy I would target is Brian Daboll.

He is not to blame for the Giants mess as their GM has really shown himself to be the problem, Plus he may not want to uproot his family too much as he could stay in the tri-state area.  

If woody were to overreact and Saleh and JD or if JD were to simply leave, then we would have a real mess on our hands and I agree that it would be very hard to recruit a GM/HC combo with our ownership situation.

However, if only Saleh goes, I think its much more likely that we can get a decent HC in here.  Yes we would need to figure out QB but we have a strong roster with a lot of young talent at key spots (CB, C, LT, WR, etc). Yes if we need a new HC that means that the young talent has underperformed but hopefully there would be a good coach who would think they could get more out of the roster then Saleh has.

Lastly I think the league has a lot more respect for JD then this message board as there is virtually zero mention of him being fired.  He has done a good job, regardless of record, and it would be awful for us to have to find a new GM, HC and QB all under the guidance of Woody Johnson

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Troll said:

Yeah, he left him unprotected in the expansion draft because he didn’t want to pay him. 

No more DCs. We hire an offensive coach once every 30 years, pick the worst possible candidate and then use that as justification. “Well, that worked out great last time!” Yeah, because you picked ******* Adam Gase and Rich Kotite. 

Not really what happened.

They had so many expensive veteran contracts (Testaverde, Martin, Lewis, Jones,...) they had to make room. So they left him AND Marcus Coleman unprotected, and at the time even that wasn't enough for Houston to take them, so they ALSO had to leave cheap + young Ryan Young unprotected as well as a sweetener, otherwise even Houston wouldn't have wanted the Jets' corners at their contract amounts. 

There were other players they wanted to acquire (e.g. Cowart) or further lock up that offseason or the next (Fabini, Martin, Chrebet) or just not cut (Mo, Jones). They couldn't keep everyone, and on top of that their new fool HC Herm wanted zone corners anyway: exit Glenn & Coleman and enter Beasley & Donnie Abraham (who weren't free themselves, even if they were a little less). So all that taken together is why.

Had nothing to do with their dickhead owner not wanting to pay him. There's a salary cap: he pays the same thing in the end. It's just a matter of paying some players instead of others. Woody saved nothing.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Someone will come here b/c they will get to draft their own qb and build their staff.  Only so many of these jobs.  

Yes, but not a top level candidate with choices because they are in high demand.  GMs turn down interview requests here. It’s only getting worse 

JD and Saleh are about the best Woody can hire. 

13 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

It's inevitable.  Its not to early to think about this NOW.  This team is pure garbage.  We have some good players, but they are terribly coached and JD hasn't helped matters either.  This OL is older than Sodom and Gomorrah. It will crumble and already has started to.  The DL is a JOKE. No pass rush no stopping the run. Pathetic.  The offense is boring and insultingly basic and ineffective.  Both Saleh and JD need to go after the season.  Rodgers will wave bye bye after the season. He wont be sticking around for this circus.  We will be in rebuild mode YET AGAIN.  Lot of big contracts coming up as well.  This organization needs to get a head coach and GM that has a fresh approach - in other words someone YOUNG and Upcoming.  Look what David Stearns did with the Mets this season. He got them in the PLAYOFFS. They were totally cast off to have a miserable season and yet this mastermind, made a few moves here and there, stole Mendoza away from the Skanks and wallah.....PLAYOFFS!!!!!  Find a David Stearns in the football world and an innovative young HC and lets move into the 21st century.

Find a David Stern? Stern did nothing in the off season. He and Cohen basically told the fans he was taking a gap year from building the Mets. Yes, they made the playoffs, but it took a historic performance from their best player to do it. Is there a Francisco Lindor on the Jets? Now I agree with you that Saleh needs to go (not totally  in thevJD must go camp yet) but this is a horrible analogy. 

• Sam Darnold is proving to be a perfectly find QB draft pick.  He just needs good coaching, and OL and weapons.  Only a few QBs can get by without that. 
  • I think the GM and HC are somewhat of a package.  I don't think JD is burning the midnight oil.  He relies on the scouts, some of them who have been there since Tannebaum, and the coaching staff, to find players.   JD is not overcoming any scouting deficiencies with his own work, and at least the offensive coaches add nothing to the scouting.  The defensive coaching does, which is why we have drafted and developed decent defensive players.
  • JD has shown some bright spots.  Perhaps with a real coaching staff he can do better.   I agree that JD is likely more respected in the league than Saleh (as an HC).  Saleh does not seem to have gotten what it takes to be a successful HC.  

5 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I dont technically disagree but JD has shown to be completely and utterly incompetent in how he's handle the QB position.

- drafted James Morgan who isnt in the NFL

- trading Sam to replace him w/ Zach Wilson

- taking Zach Wilson over Justin Fields

- trusting Zach Wilson to start week 1 of his NFL career w/ no veteran back up.

- trading for Joe Flacco in panic mode after letting him walk freely to the Eagles

- having Joe Flacco back up, Mike White and Josh Johnson

- benching Flacco for the return of Zach Wilson to bench Zach Wilson to go to Mike White and put Flacco in at 3rd string.

- not calling Flacco back after the Rodgers injury

- allowing a man's name that I literally cant remember to take meaningful NFL snaps.

- Rodgers debacle meanwhile, Sam Darnold is the MVP and Justin Fields is balling out and they just lost to Zach Wilson current team and he drafted a QB w/ one leg

JD has given aids to the QB position during his tenure here and you have to be literally insane to trust him w/ that position in any fashion, let alone draft another one.

You're leaving out trading for Rodgers in the first place.  

(especially considering he bid against himself to give up a haul that was entirely unnecessary)