Sources PFT Salad demoted Hackett prior to being fired

In the coming days, more details surely will emerge regarding the day Jets owner/Ambassador Woody Johnson fired coach Robert Saleh. Here’s one of which we’ve caught wind, based on communications with multiple sources.

At a meeting on Tuesday morning, Saleh informed the coaching staff that passing game coordinator Todd Downing would become the game-day play-caller, with offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett demoted. Hackett wasn’t being fired in the classic sense, but it was going to be his decision to whether he stayed.

Then, after the meeting, Saleh found out he was being fired in the classic sense.

It’s unclear whether the timing is coincidental or connected. Regardless, Hackett was out as play-caller — and then Johnson was out as coach.

If nothing else, the circumstances will make Wednesday’s appearance by quarterback Aaron Rodgers on Pat McAfee’s show even more compelling. What did he know? When did he know it? And did he find out Hackett (Rodgers’s good friend) was out as play-caller in the window between the staff meeting and Saleh’s firing?

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Hope they go with Downing as OC. The offense is disgraceful.

I posted my speculation earlier this afternoon, about the possibility of Downing calling plays.

I fully expect that this is what will happen.

It can't be any worse.

• Upvote 2

If this was announced in a staff meeting this morning, that obviously changes the narrative quite a bit from earlier when some were suggesting Saleh was throwing out the earlier reports about Hackett as revisionist history only after getting fired.

This sh*t show should be fun if nothing else, although definitely puts Ulbrich in an even more awkward situation to start things off.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

This isn’t true saleh literally yesterday emphatically told reporters that he wasn’t planning on changing play callers

this is pure BS put out there by saleh the politician to damage control 

That's the story some around here were trying to sell earlier, but if there are now multiple sources saying this was announced in the coaching staff meeting, that's a very different situation.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A complete sh*tshow.  As usual, im right again.

The one guy in this organization who had balls gets fired.

Now puppet ulbrich reinstates hackett on rodgers command.

Absolutely pathetic.

4-13?

Defcon = ?

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's the story some around here were trying to sell earlier, but if there are now multiple sources saying this was announced in the coaching staff meeting, that's a very different situation.

Theres Florio reporting this. 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We had a 40 year old player who is downright terrible out there, override our gm and coach.

Are u guys even grasping what happened here?

This is lebron james type stuff.

This doesnt happen in football.

Are you ok Joe? Would you like us to call someone? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If this report is true, what a s**t show this organization is, and there’s no way in hell the new interim HC messes with Aaron and his boy.

Out of all the dysfunctional things the jets have done over the years, this is the most dysfunctional of all.  By far.

I do not think u guys are comprehending the enormity of what happened here.

A player w/ no future here overrode althe gm and coach.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Out of all the dysfunctional things the jets have done over the years, this is the most dysfunctional of all.  By far.

Trust me. I get it.

Right now I’m just hoping it isn’t true because if it is? This is really, really bad.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The d-i-s-e-a-s-e is rodgers.  It was staring me in the face the entire time and I didnt see it.

OMG!!!!

So are the fans still Jets fans are the bestd? Was it sexually transmitted? Should I not have gone on that darkness retreat?

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers neutered Joe Douglas too.  So hes never working here again.

So now we ran out of town the only gm we have had worth spit.

The magnitude of dysfunction here is off the charts.

This is beyond defcon.

Let’s not go crazy here. Look at the bright side. We can still go 13-4 even with a loss on Monday.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A complete sh*tshow.  As usual, im right again.

The one guy in this organization who had balls gets fired.

Now puppet ulbrich reinstates hackett on rodgers command.

Absolutely pathetic.

Season 3 Love GIF by The Lonely Island

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So does this mean that you will quit as the “peoples captain” too?

• Haha 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh is full of sh-t after the fact.

Go and listen to his press conference Monday and what he says when asked if he was even thinking about a change to the offensive playcaller.

That is coach speak.  U fire him the next day and say when u got to watching the film more, it became apparant a change needed to be made.